We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Daehawk »

Bladders stones can be painful. My late wife's grandpa had one nearly the size of his bladder itself. Musta had it his entire life to be that big. Had to surgically remove it, Like a river rock all smooth .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:35 pm My late wife's grandpa had one nearly the size of his bladder itself. Musta had it his entire life to be that big. Had to surgically remove it, Like a river rock all smooth .
I had one of those when I was a kid.
A smooth river rock, not a bladder stone.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im going through a BP spike or something right now. Woke up early sick. Id had trouble during the night ...if I lay on my sides them my arms went to sleep. It was a weird thing. Scared me but I was sleepy and wasn't sure what it was.

Just woke up though...breathing is hard, walking hard...feel shakey as hell. My bp says 170 / 111. Took 3 bp pills..one crushed....its 160/100........need to pee..ugh..hope this passes without me having to call 911. Our hospital sucks..plus Id need a ride home.7:15 now...been 15 min.....feeling bit better....
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Even so you still should go to the emergency room. I would and I never go anywhere.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got better. Not 100%. Kinda still a bit off centered. Little leg heavy / tired. Not full balanced. But bp is normal. 132/78. Id planned on mowing the grass this morn. Its time and its a nice day for it. Think Ill just ride mow what I can get to with the riding mower and not do any weed eating or anything and call it a day. Maybe the sun and fresh air will do me good. If I dont fall off the mower lol. Not that bad. Think it will be fine.

EDIT: Ok done mowing...still alive. Feel the same. Same heaviness to my legs and feeling weak in them. Little balance issue but nothing to make me stumble or fall even. More a feeling if I dont watch my step I could trip or lean. BP is staying its normal high top number bitchiness. ...155/81. Dont want to take more meds with bottom number good plus I take a does later tyonight so waiting until. then unless that top number keeps creeping up.

Another day in older age. Teen and 20s and part of 30 I could push mow no help twice what I mow now. In 40s it took a self propelled push mowers. After 50 its taking a riding lawn mower. Fuck if I know what comes in 60s and 70s...maybe someone else mowing lol!! Funny I can tell my ages by what mower I have to use to mow the yard. Bloody hell!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure how Im supposed to sleep tonight. I laid down to take a nap and woke wit ha start after an hour with my left arm going to sleep I was laying on. Not sure whats causing this trouble. My bp isn't high right now. Hope it being so high last night didn't damage me in some way.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You.

Go doctor.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:35 pm Im not sure how Im supposed to sleep tonight. I laid down to take a nap and woke wit ha start after an hour with my left arm going to sleep I was laying on. Not sure whats causing this trouble. My bp isn't high right now. Hope it being so high last night didn't damage me in some way.
I would reiterate how I responded to you earlier. Because with such high blood pressure, you're putting yourself at significant risk of kidney failure or death from a stroke or heart attack:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:59 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:24 pm I will continue to maintain that your use of BP medication like it's Advil is problematic. If your BP is genuinely that high, you shouldn't be posting on OO, you should be going to the hospital especially when you're "feeling weird again".
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:45 pm You've also not had reliable access to fresh, clean drinking water for ~2+ months. It's without question impacting your mental and physical health. Seriously...get help.
Daehawk, I urge you to heed Smoove's advice. Because with such routinely high blood pressure you're at serious risk of stroke, heart attack, kidney failure, and heart failure:
stroke.org wrote:High Blood Pressure and Stroke

What’s blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the force of blood against the walls of arteries. It’s recorded as two numbers — systolic pressure (when the heart muscle contracts) over diastolic pressure (when the heart muscle rests between beats and refills with blood). Learn more about blood pressure readings or watch an animation of blood pressure.

What’s high blood pressure? High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is when blood running through your arteries flows with too much force and puts too much pressure on your arteries, stretching them past their healthy limit and causing small tears. Our body then kicks into an injury-healing mode to repair the tears with scar tissue. But the scar tissue traps substances that make up plaque and can lead to blockages, blood clots, and hardened, weakened arteries.

Several factors can increase your risk of high blood pressure, including family history, age, lack of physical activity, poor diet, gender-related risk patterns, obesity and drinking too much alcohol. Learn more about high blood pressure risk factors.

Why manage blood pressure?

Uncontrolled high blood pressure can injure or kill you. It’s called “the silent killer” because it has no symptoms. Many people don’t know they have it, so it's very important to get your blood pressure checked regularly.

Blockages and blood clots limit blood to vital organs, and without blood, the tissue dies. That’s why high blood pressure can lead to stroke, heart attack, kidney failure, and heart failure.
Keep in mind, you live completely alone. Meaning if you were to suffer a non-fatal stroke or heart attack which prevents you from using a phone, what may otherwise be non-fatal could easily turn into a dreadful death given your precarious situation. So you really ought to err on the side of caution, and avoid continuing to hope for the best while burying your head in the sand.
Seriously, get to the hospital and get yourself properly checked out. Better to waste some time at the hospital (regardless of how much you think it sucks) than risk the prospect of organ failure and a premature death.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I need to go to the doc this month for my blood work.

I went to bed at around 2pm and been there all day napping. Feel fine now. No leg heaviness or weakness and not opff balance. It was as if my entire body was worn out. Now its time to actiually go to bed and sleep. Doubt I can but will try. Also was past time for my nightly bp med dose so took it. It was was 141/81 fore I took it.

EDIT: Well its noon now. Guess sleeping all day yesterday didn't affect me sleeping all night.
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:42 am so woke up yesterday with no pain, today so far no pain. i know i didn't pass it... is it normal for the pain to go away. I read it can come and go. What are your experiences?
Well, almost a month and so far I haven't passed the stone as far as I know. For 10 days after the ER visit I wasn't in any pain. I stopped straining for visual confirmation of the stone, and I stopped taking the pain meds. On the 10th day I reached out to the Dr asking if it was safe to assume I had passed it (never felt it, but heard that can happen, and according to the CT scan it was small, 2mm) He said, yes safe to assume.

Of course the next day after talking with the Dr, I started to feel discomfort in the lower back and in my groin. That's went on for about a week and then for 2 days back to not having pain. Pain came back yesterday and continued today.

ER doc said she referred me to Urology and that they would follow up with me. They never called and if they had called within the first 10 days I would have said I'm fine. But because I was feeling it again, I reached out to find out the ER doc never sent the follow up. And because of that I had to go to my doctor to make the referral who also happens to be on vacation. I called the main line and got them to send a referral. Next day Urology called and made a video appointment for Jun 7th. So another week.

I'm calling tomorrow to see if they can see me sooner. I have questions and want to see if they can have me do another Xray or CT scan to see if it's still there. I'm worried this isn't related to kidney stones and it's something worse.

Online searching talks about the average kidney stone passing time is 30 days. 30 days will be just before my appointment.

The pain I'm experiencing is more discomfort\pressure, dull ache, not sharp. I'm not having any issues going to the bathroom.

I went down the rabbit hole and looked up symptoms of Chronic Kidney Disease. I don't really fit the symptoms they describe and on of the indicators from the blood or urine test showed normal.

I'm just tired of feeling like I'm being kicked in the groin.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like you're going to need to blast it and hope that works.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have discovered what I assume is a tumor on the side of my chest. It's about the size of my hand. Doesn't bother me.(except mentally)
Also got another skin cancer spot.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Did about 3 hours of weeding in my overgrown, out of control yard yesterday.

I literally cannot stand up straight this morning. :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:19 pm I have discovered what I assume is a tumor on the side of my chest. It's about the size of my hand. Doesn't bother me.(except mentally)
I’d like to encourage you to get that checked out.
Both of them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:33 am
dbt1949 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:19 pm I have discovered what I assume is a tumor on the side of my chest. It's about the size of my hand. Doesn't bother me.(except mentally)
I’d like to encourage you to get that checked out.
Both of them.
Yaaa that could be a thing.

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My young new doctor ("call me Bryan") smoking-shamed me into taking a CT scan for lung cancer. My lungs work fine, and they sounded fine in my checkup, but my 50-year smoking history says they should not. He was surprised when I agreed to the scan because most smokers say they'd rather be surprised, which has always been my default position -- I've long said that I'll quit smoking if I survive my first heart attack. But Wife and I are on the verge of some major life changes as we head into retirement, so I figured that finding out if I was likely to die soon would be prudent.

Results are in and Doc says I have nothing to worry about (ominous music) YET. He sounded a little disappointed. :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

George Burns made it to 100.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:21 pm George Burns made it to 100.
Good lord don't wish that on me. Nobody's going to care for me when I can't do it myself. (For all ow Wife's good qualities, caregiving isn't on the list, and let's not even bring up institutional care in America, which i totally didn't just do.) I'm willing to keep going on only for as long as I remain in control. After that I hope for a quick and dignified exit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:28 pm
Good lord don't wish that on me. Nobody's going to care for me when I can't do it myself.
+1. I'm just about out of family. I have one kid who is likely to be capable of caring for me when I'm elderly, and it is one of my biggest hopes that he's long gone from Indiana by that point (despite what that means for me.) So if I reach a point at which I cannot care for myself, I'll likely end up a ward of the state.

I'd prefer to be dead before that happens.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:20 pm
naednek wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:42 am so woke up yesterday with no pain, today so far no pain. i know i didn't pass it... is it normal for the pain to go away. I read it can come and go. What are your experiences?
Well, almost a month and so far I haven't passed the stone as far as I know. For 10 days after the ER visit I wasn't in any pain. I stopped straining for visual confirmation of the stone, and I stopped taking the pain meds. On the 10th day I reached out to the Dr asking if it was safe to assume I had passed it (never felt it, but heard that can happen, and according to the CT scan it was small, 2mm) He said, yes safe to assume.

Of course the next day after talking with the Dr, I started to feel discomfort in the lower back and in my groin. That's went on for about a week and then for 2 days back to not having pain. Pain came back yesterday and continued today.

ER doc said she referred me to Urology and that they would follow up with me. They never called and if they had called within the first 10 days I would have said I'm fine. But because I was feeling it again, I reached out to find out the ER doc never sent the follow up. And because of that I had to go to my doctor to make the referral who also happens to be on vacation. I called the main line and got them to send a referral. Next day Urology called and made a video appointment for Jun 7th. So another week.

I'm calling tomorrow to see if they can see me sooner. I have questions and want to see if they can have me do another Xray or CT scan to see if it's still there. I'm worried this isn't related to kidney stones and it's something worse.

Online searching talks about the average kidney stone passing time is 30 days. 30 days will be just before my appointment.

The pain I'm experiencing is more discomfort\pressure, dull ache, not sharp. I'm not having any issues going to the bathroom.

I went down the rabbit hole and looked up symptoms of Chronic Kidney Disease. I don't really fit the symptoms they describe and on of the indicators from the blood or urine test showed normal.

Spoke with the Chief of Urology today. He reassured me this was just kidney stone, but was suprised it hadn't gone out yet. He said to give it another 4 weeks and if it's still there, surgery is likely. He said based on the size of the stone I have surgery would be more painful so he advised letting nature takes it's course.

I told him that in 4 weeks I'm on vacation. He looked at his schedule and he has the 22nd open, but that's 3 days before I go on vacation. Surgery requires putting me to sleep, putting a cable up my you know what, shoot lazers inside my bladder, then place a stent between the kidney and the bladder for a week. He advised to wait till I get back from vacation to do that.

So more fun!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:04 am
Good lord don't wish that on me. Nobody's going to care for me when I can't do it myself.
+1. I'm just about out of family. I have one kid who is likely to be capable of caring for me when I'm elderly, and it is one of my biggest hopes that he's long gone from Indiana by that point (despite what that means for me.) So if I reach a point at which I cannot care for myself, I'll likely end up a ward of the state.

I'd prefer to be dead before that happens.
Our nebulous housing plan includes having capacity for a live-in caregiver. I'm not moving where my family live, but one of them might move where I am if we can make it attractive enough. There's a lot of money in it for them if we kick off before we can spend it.

Relying on heirs who will be richer the sooner we die probably isn't going to work in our favor. Wife has more faith in supposed love than I do.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

naednek wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:24 am

Spoke with the Chief of Urology today. He reassured me this was just kidney stone, but was suprised it hadn't gone out yet. He said to give it another 4 weeks and if it's still there, surgery is likely. He said based on the size of the stone I have surgery would be more painful so he advised letting nature takes it's course.

I told him that in 4 weeks I'm on vacation. He looked at his schedule and he has the 22nd open, but that's 3 days before I go on vacation. Surgery requires putting me to sleep, putting a cable up my you know what, shoot lazers inside my bladder, then place a stent between the kidney and the bladder for a week. He advised to wait till I get back from vacation to do that.

So more fun!
I dont understand the need for a surgery. If its small enough to pass why aren't they just waiting? If it doesn't pass but is bothering you why not get it blasted? Thats a simple and well used thing for decades now. Dont even need a stent with most doctors that know what they're doing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Good lord don't wish that on me. Nobody's going to care for me when I can't do it myself. (For all ow Wife's good qualities, caregiving isn't on the list, and let's not even bring up institutional care in America, which i totally didn't just do.) I'm willing to keep going on only for as long as I remain in control. After that I hope for a quick and dignified exit.
I thought you wanted to live forever to see how it all turns out?

I also have no one to care for me and don't exactly trust care facilities to do it. I have the same attitude. Though I don't know that I care about dignified, least pain and quick are above that. Also, my parents are in their 80s and have children and each other to care for them and they still have the same attitude. Still, I won't want to let them go. God, am I selfish.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:04 am Still, I won't want to let them go. God, am I selfish.
That's not selfish, that's just love. And/Or - Love is always a mildly selfish claim of ownership of another. It's an investment. It's an 'income' (mentally and emotionally). And people sticking around puts the "re" in relationship.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:47 am
naednek wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:24 am

So more fun!
I dont understand the need for a surgery. If its small enough to pass why aren't they just waiting? If it doesn't pass but is bothering you why not get it blasted? Thats a simple and well used thing for decades now. Dont even need a stent with most doctors that know what they're doing.
I think they are not going down the blasting route has do that it's not big enough. Like maybe the blasting wouldn't have an impact. Maybe the lazer makes it smaller? I don't know.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:04 am
I thought you wanted to live forever to see how it all turns out?
I might if I could remain fit and healthy forever, too. But I've already seen just about enough to know that I wouldn't like how it all turns out.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, as almost to be expected, after three years of putting off having my right thumb CMC arthroplasty done to relieve pain from arthritis, I'm now having to postpone it again because my wife now has to have surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. Not looking forward to this at all since the doc says 3-4 months of recovery, including a lot of therapy, slings, braces and a machine to exercise the joint and another to cool the inflammation. Of course she's not thrilled either :roll: but after going through with her having close to a dozen major surgeries, I know how frustrated and in pain she'll be and I'll have to be supportive and caring and that can be quite tiring at times. But, oh well, I love her and I'll get her through this again.

Meanwhile any big plans I had for my 70th birthday in September are going to be put on hold too. And yes, I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself :roll:

In better news, I was feeling a big light-headed when I was bending over working on something. Turns out my blood pressure is a bit low, 117 over 74. At least hypertension isn't a concern.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My medicine knocked mine down to 92 / 59 territory the other night. I was eating salt and drinking liquids.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:04 pm

Meanwhile any big plans I had for my 70th birthday in September are going to be put on hold too. And yes, I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself :roll:

So you're not going to turn 70?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:26 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:04 pm

So you're not going to turn 70?
After negotiations with my wife, we selected a new month for my birthday. With her recovery lasting probably through October, the earliest was November, but then she pointed out that November and December are reserved for getting ready for Christmas, while, January is reserved for securing from Christmas. I was reluctant about February, but since it is a leap year I get 29 days. It's not the 30 I would have had in September, but maybe I'll amend the agreement to include March 1st.

I should point out that we celebrate my birth over the course of a month, not just some puny day :wink:. It took me several years to talk her into this, but it was worth the wait when last year I got cards and presents on the 1st, 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of September. And yes I am spoiled:

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So, in addition to everything else I'm dealing with. I had backsurgery about a week and half ago.
They ended up having to remove a part of my spine and part of one of my disks.
Looking for about 2 months recovery time.
Good news is that the previous 100% constant sharp pain is no longer constant. It's just popping in and out now and doc says it should get better. Still very sore and I have a plethora of other issues affecting me walking but I'm hoping this is at least one problem down.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:02 pm So, in addition to everything else I'm dealing with. I had backsurgery about a week and half ago.
Good news is that the previous 100% constant sharp pain is no longer constant. It's just popping in and out now and doc says it should get better. Still very sore and I have a plethora of other issues affecting me walking but I'm hoping this is at least one problem down.
Good luck with your recovery. My wife had her L4/L5 discs fused and it worked out pretty well.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:32 pm
Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:02 pm So, in addition to everything else I'm dealing with. I had backsurgery about a week and half ago.
Good luck with your recovery. My wife had her L4/L5 discs fused and it worked out pretty well.
Yeah. I was super confused about what they were doing for surgery. (Partly due to my brain issues). I went for follow up yesterday and the doc explained it better with a model. They had to cut the spine in a couple of places and completely remove the stegasaurus like bones. I was surprised that they didn't replace it with anything.
The spine was compressing on my spinal column causing the pain and some other things.
I'm kind of surprised at how much better it feels already although I may just be getting used to all my issues.
This is definitely not gonna get me back to walking long distances but its a step in the right direction.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You guys need to stop falling apart.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:22 pm You guys need to stop falling apart.
Now you tell us.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Old fart, heal thyself.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:04 pm Well, as almost to be expected, after three years of putting off having my right thumb CMC arthroplasty done to relieve pain from arthritis, I'm now having to postpone it again because my wife now has to have surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. Not looking forward to this at all since the doc says 3-4 months of recovery, including a lot of therapy, slings, braces and a machine to exercise the joint and another to cool the inflammation. Of course she's not thrilled either :roll: but after going through with her having close to a dozen major surgeries, I know how frustrated and in pain she'll be and I'll have to be supportive and caring and that can be quite tiring at times. But, oh well, I love her and I'll get her through this again.

In better news, I was feeling a big light-headed when I was bending over working on something. Turns out my blood pressure is a bit low, 117 over 74. At least hypertension isn't a concern.
Yeah, but when she's fully recovered her curve ball should regain it's old bite!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Punisher wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:22 am
Now you tell us.
Better late than never :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Can I inject a complaint-that's-also-happiness into this thread? I realized early this year that my days of uncorrected eyesight were quickly coming to an end. Finally had my eye appt last month, and the news was about as expected: my vision wasn't 'bad' but it was no longer 'good.' 20/25, and glasses were recommended at least some of the time to take some strain off.

I picked them up today, and holy shit--it's like magic. Even with my relatively minor need for them, it's amazing.

Still not thrilled at yet another sign of my aging body, but at least this one is easy to deal with.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im with there on all that. The aging signs are depressing. I think Im young unless I hurt or try to do stuff I can no longer do that I once did.

But I still need to see an eye doc. Plan to as soon as the house is paid off. Its on of those things on my 'to do when' list.