We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gbasden

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by gbasden »

I'm very sorry, Ken. I hope the family can come together and take comfort from one another.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found this interesting. Dont know if its true or not. Could be one of those fake things on the internet.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not being all that terribly excited about bread, what's the spoiler?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:45 pm Not being all that terribly excited about bread, what's the spoiler?
White bread bad. Freezing it makes it 1/3 less bad.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah. My grandmother always kept her white bread in the refrigerator to keep it fresh longer. I hated it, and still hate the thought of cold bread.

And, Grandma? It makes bread taste stale and causes it to mold quicker, not slower.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:13 pm And, Grandma? It makes bread taste stale and causes it to mold quicker, not slower.
I don't know about store-bought bread, but the bread we make in the bread machine (so zero preservatives of any kind) has to go in the fridge within a day, two at most, before it starts molding. It'll still go stale in the fridge but it doesn't usually mold.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From what I remember: store bought bread wrapped in plastic gathers more moisture, while paper wrapped bread does the opposite - the cold air dries it out. In each case (because I actually looked this up one time), it recrystallizes the starch much, much faster (impacting the taste.) From what I recall, the 'right' way to store bread that can't stay out is actually to freeze it and reheat it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gilraen wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:19 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:13 pm And, Grandma? It makes bread taste stale and causes it to mold quicker, not slower.
I don't know about store-bought bread, but the bread we make in the bread machine (so zero preservatives of any kind) has to go in the fridge within a day, two at most, before it starts molding. It'll still go stale in the fridge but it doesn't usually mold.
Freeze it, then nuke it back to freshness.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My grandma froze bread sometimes. It did taste horrible.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I routinely keep a loaf in the freezer. It stays there for 1-2 weeks and gets replaced after it's promoted to Active Loaf. One lasting effect of the pandemic is my determination to never run out of anything again.

It still tastes fine, but I'm not starting with white bread. Lately I'm gravitating to Arnold's Oatmeal Nut or one of Dave's varieties.

Do y'all ever see Arnold or Dave's, or is that regional?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I freeze my bread all the time. It tastes fine after thawing. If bread ever gets stale I toast it and it's fine. Sometimes I toast it when it's still cold.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dave’s is available in Texas.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:50 am Do y'all ever see Arnold or Dave's, or is that regional?
Dave's Killer Bread is available nationwide (as well as in Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Guam):
DavesKillerBread.com wrote:Image

Flowers Foods officially takes DKB nationwide & beyond, including Canada and Mexico!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

never heard of it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:21 am never heard of it.
Dave is an ex-con who turned his life around by joining the family bakery after 15 years in prison, and a large percentage of their employees have criminal records. They also happen to make very good bread. Their story is here if you want to know more.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've never heard of it either but I see Amazon sells it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Wife started chemo on Monday. If you were wondering whether stories about how it knocks you out and makes you miserable are exaggerated - they're not. She's on 3 week cycles - infusion on day 1 to start the process, then 2 weeks of pills, then 1 week off. Total of 4 cycles, and then we'll hopefully be done with it.

Meanwhile, I have my first monitoring colonoscopy next week. Fingers crossed that nothing has come back to me - I don't want to go through what my wife is going through.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If there's anything at all I can do to help during this trying time since I'm in the area, don't hesitate to let me know, man.

Edit: ...er...not with the actual colonoscopy, that is. :oops:
Covfefe!
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:46 pm If there's anything at all I can do to help during this trying time since I'm in the area, don't hesitate to let me know, man.

Too late, you volunteered, and you can't give it back
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Best wishes for both of you.

My sister's cancer treatment made her miserable, and she confided to me that if she had it to do over, she wouldn't take it. Because she had (adult) children, she felt compelled to enroll in a clinical trial after the standard treatment failed, but she felt terrible for the few more months that it gave her. Don't extrapolate that your wife's situation; my sister's prognosis with stage 4 ovarian was grim to begin with.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:24 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:46 pm If there's anything at all I can do to help during this trying time since I'm in the area, don't hesitate to let me know, man.

Too late, you volunteered, and you can't give it back
I made RedWarlord (an old friend who was briefly active here for a while) come out to Chicago to drive me to and back from my colonoscopy years ago. The prep was the worst. Also, I think I upset him by constantly placing copies of the the pictures the doctor gave me of my colonoscopy under his plate when eating and he turned away, in his luggage to discover later, on his forehead while he was sleeping on the couch, etc..
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What an ass.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:53 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:03 pm
Spoilered for brevity
Spoiler:
So, I've been having fun lately.

I've been having issues with mental fatigue for a few years. That's the state wherein you spend a great deal of time under a heavy cognitive load until you've used up all of your brain's reserves and it starts to shut down. The brain is like any other part of your body - overwork your biceps and they reach a point where it's a strain to lift your arm. Think of studying for a math test, or working on a complex bit of code for hours on end until you reach a point at which you just can't think clearly anymore. You can't remember what you're doing, you get your terminology mixed up, and suddenly even simple tasks (like ordering dinner) require a lot of mental effort.

I first noticed it with tabletop RPGs. I would routinely GM (run) them for 8-12 hours at a time. Then, about four or five years ago, I noticed that I started to shut down after four or five hours. I'd say the wrong things, I'd forget rules, I'd make mistakes. After another year it was down to just two or three hours (where it seems to have stayed.) I also found that I was having a lot of trouble sticking with things. I brought it up here at the time. It was a big motivator in getting me exercising (I dropped 50 pounds and was hitting several times the minimum activity levels every week), eating right, and led to me getting on a medication for ADHD (which I'm now questioning. It may still be the right medicine, but I'm not sure it's the right diagnosis, as the symptoms may be related to this instead.) It all barely helped. Lately I still run out after the same number of hours, but when it sets in, it sets in hard. A few weeks ago, after several matches of a particularly fiddly board game (Sentinels), I hit a point at which I could barely even speak. Every sentence would have the wrong words, or I'd forget what a word was ("Go into the bedroom and grab the box" became "Go into the car and grab the... uh... you know.") And I've been a lot more absent minded than usual lately (I've always had the autistic absent mindedness that comes more from focused thought.)

So I finally realized that it wasn't just me being out of shape or getting older, and went to see my doctor about it. Disclaimer: No, it's not cancer.

But it's cancer related. Probably.

As some of you may recall, I had a fun bout with cancer in 2014. After months of chemo (cisplatin) and radiation, I decided to do the surviving thing, and have since been told that I have a better chance of developing a new cancer than of the old one coming back. I did get a few nice side effects, though - reduced salivary flow, a big chunk removed from the back of my tongue, permanent partial paralysis of my left shoulder (my trapezius is kaput), my teeth falling apart due to the radiation, etc.

It seems that this may be another side effect, this time of the chemo drug. Some people get 'chemo brain' during treatment, only to have it fade afterwards. Others don't get it for years. If it doesn't fade, it's generally permanent and untreatable. It's actually pretty common - there are tons of studies on the neurotoxicity of cisplatin, showing that it can cause attention problems, interfere with neurogenesis, and all sorts of other fun things. It may or may not be progressive (the public-oriented discussions are too basic and PR-heavy, while the scholarly articles go further into neurology than I can follow), but the impression that I get is "Sometimes."

None of that has been confirmed yet, but it's the working hypothesis, and it seems likely. I'm having the usual battery of tests to make sure that it isn't something else that requires intervention, or something else that's more treatable (fingers crossed on the long shot!)

Still, I have no regrets. Being a little more absent minded as I'm hitting 50 is a lot better than being dead at 41.
I had an MRI done two days ago, which should narrow down the cause (hopefully.) It's looking more and more likely that it's a delayed onset side effect from the chemo, and it is making me very not happy.

So, the MRI came back clear after a few days. My doctor set me up with a neurologist in her building (she just transferred to a new city, and is new to that particular ecosystem, relevant later.)

The neurologist was today. Oh my god, what a waste of my time. Here's a summary:

Since my MRI is clear, I don't have any brain problems. Therefore, all of my sudden cognitive issues are because of my autism, and I should follow up with a psychiatrist who specializes in autism.

Setting aside the availability of such mythical creatures, I have doubts about his diagnosis. Here's why:

1. When he asked me when I was diagnosed with autism, I told him when I was 31 or 32. He took that to mean that I didn't have autism prior to that.
2. He said that autism, as it is a brain disease, can cause all sorts of other issues.

Why that makes me doubt:

Re: 1. Autism doesn't develop. It's a genetic neurological disorder. You have it at birth, or you don't have it, ever.
Re: 2. Autism is not a disease. It has not been classified as a disease in more than 40 years. It is, once again, a neurological disorder. Disorder =/= disease.

The thing is, you'd expect a neurologist to have a basic understanding of a widespread neurological disorder, and not be under the impression that it's a disease that has a late-onset variant. It kind of throws his diagnosis and advice into question (not to mention his degree.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He sounds like a duck :)

Perhaps a 2nd opinion is in order.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still waiting for a first opinion. All I have at this point is a delusion.

If I get in to see a better neurologist, I may send the first one a referral.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:52 am
Dave is an ex-con who turned his life around by joining the family bakery after 15 years in prison, and a large percentage of their employees have criminal records. They also happen to make very good bread. Their story is here if you want to know more.
Dave's is my go-to bread. All their varieties have been really good.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:55 pm

The thing is, you'd expect a neurologist to have a basic understanding of a widespread neurological disorder, and not be under the impression that it's a disease that has a late-onset variant. It kind of throws his diagnosis and advice into question (not to mention his degree.)
This dude sounds incredibly bad. That being said, I'm on year 5 of trying to get help with cognitive issues that developed after my TBI. My experience so far has been that *everyone* is horrible at trying to help with brain issues. It's been one useless appointment after another. I'm really sorry you are trapped in that cycle too.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Best of luck, ILB. Condolences, naednek. And best of luck to you, too, BH.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:41 pm Wife started chemo on Monday. If you were wondering whether stories about how it knocks you out and makes you miserable are exaggerated - they're not.
I gave a guy a ride today on his way to his third chemo treatment. Second time around on stage-4 cancer, beat it 30 years ago, now resurfacing in colonic form. He said the first treatment incapacitate him for 5 days. The second, 11 days. He told me about his family history of cancer. I'd guess when asked on a doctor's questionnaire, he needs to request additional pages. :shock:
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I never heard of it either. As much as I love carbs, not sure I would go with on whose name implies it will be the one to do me in.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:22 pm
I only buy it occasionally because insufficient preservatives makes it go stale or moldy before I can finish a loaf, which typically takes me 1-2 weeks. That's probably a selling point for those who consume it faster.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:
gbasden wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:22 pm
I only buy it occasionally because insufficient preservatives makes it go stale or moldy before I can finish a loaf, which typically takes me 1-2 weeks. That's probably a selling point for those who consume it faster.
We keep our Killer Bread in the refrigerator and it easily lasts a few weeks. My favorite is the thin-sliced Good Seed in the yellow package. It's hard to go back to other bread now.
naednek

Post by naednek »

who would have thought a 2mm kidney stone would send you to the ER... fun times to be had
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

naednek wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:15 pm who would have thought a 2mm kidney stone would send you to the ER... fun times to be had
The pipes aren't really built for clearing mineral obstructions of that magnitude.

Worst pain I've ever encountered.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I would believe it too. I passed an 8mm. Also try 1/2" gall stones. Fortunately emergency rooms carry pain medicine for such things.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Passed a 6mm. Wife passed a 7 or 8mm. Womens pipes are larger. If I coulda passed the 2 the size of DnD dice I would have so I coulda skipped that surgery.
naednek

Post by naednek »

so woke up yesterday with no pain, today so far no pain. i know i didn't pass it... is it normal for the pain to go away. I read it can come and go. What are your experiences?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If the stone isn't totally stuck it'll pass to the next stage. It may have passed from the kidney to the bladder or further along the tube to a place that doesn't hurt for the moment. Or it may have passed out of your system entirely.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
disarm

Post by disarm »

naednek wrote:so woke up yesterday with no pain, today so far no pain. i know i didn't pass it... is it normal for the pain to go away. I read it can come and go. What are your experiences?
Like dbt said, the stone has probably moved to a less irritating spot, most likely into your bladder. It can sit there and cause you no trouble at all for a long time, but you'll know when it finally decides to move on. Depending on the size/shape, it may not actually be that uncomfortable when it comes out, but you'll definitely feel it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You should probably go and deal with that now while you're not in "kill me now" levels of pain.
Maybe next year, maybe no go