[TV] SyFy - Resident Alien

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: [TV] SyFy - Resident Alien

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:26 pm Harry talks to an octopus.....and you know who voices the octo?
Yes.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Don't want to spoil anything but this show continues to impress. Tons of humor, plot twists, great supporting cast, the show really balances it all. But most surprising to me is how they are moving along the larger storyline. For once in a show I almost wish they would slow it down because I just want to enjoy the show as is.

Season finale already next week, I can't wait!!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rittchard wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:06 pm Don't want to spoil anything but this show continues to impress. Tons of humor, plot twists, great supporting cast, the show really balances it all. But most surprising to me is how they are moving along the larger storyline. For once in a show I almost wish they would slow it down because I just want to enjoy the show as is.

Season finale already next week, I can't wait!!
I miss when seasons had 24 episodes. Or even 12. I want more mohr MOAR!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Really enjoying the show but I did not at all enjoy the experience of watching it this time.

We usually record it on the DVR and then watch it a few days later. For some reason this recording was glitchy so we tried watching it using the SyFy app on our TV (it has a built-in Roku). After jumping through the hoops of signing up for an NBC account and linking it to my XFinity account (three times for no apparent reason) I received three "credits" good for three viewings. We burned one of those to watch S01E09 of Resident Alien only to find... commercials. So many unskippable commercials - as many as six per commercial break. If the DVR glitches next time I think I'll just find an alternate method to watch the show because that was the worst viewing experience I've had in a long time.

Is there a better way to stream Resident Alien?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Harry at the alien convention is what I needed.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:21 pm Harry at the alien convention is what I needed.
Yeah that was awesome!

The finale was great, I can't wait for the second season! Again, I just love how this show can do so much with its side characters in even a short/small scene. They go from funny to sweet to serious in the blink of an eye. Then the main storyline accelerates at a great pace and continues to surprise me at every turn. I really can't say enough how impressed I am with the show.

Side note: did anyone else notice Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris from Voyager) is one of the main producers and has directed quite a few of the episodes?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Great finale! I can't wait until Linda Hamilton...
Spoiler:
starts grilling the new town doctor.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The ending was great - and I agree that the penultimate episode was one of the best of the first season. All of the cast is great, but I think the actress that played D'arcy was the best (outside of Alan Tudyk, of course). Even the kids held their own. Really looking forward to seeing next season for sure.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched an episode of People of Earth on hulu a few nights ago. About halfway through, I realized that one of the lead actresses was Alice Wetterlund (D'arcy). So I'm sticking with the show for a bit more. It's about alien abduction, so she may be getting typecast.

Edit: okay, just watched the finale. I was going to give it extra stars for including Nick Cave on the soundtrack...but then I remembered a Cave song was also featured in the Justice League movie and I got mad all over again at him.

Anyway, great episode.
Spoiler:
I replayed the mayor and his wife beating on the government couple because it was so damn good. The music playing over the scene made it all that much better.

The reveal that Harry the human actually killed the town doctor was completely unexpected and I loved it. Can’t wait to find out more about that,

D’arcy is still amazing.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

now that was a fun show. The quirks, the sarcasm, the sherriff and deputy karoke duet. All fun
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:34 pm I watched an episode of People of Earth on hulu a few nights ago.
I barely got through the first season. Never came back to it after that. There was potential but it just never went anywhere for my time. I kept waiting for my H Jon Benjamin love to kick in and make me love the show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Meh, it’s okay. Not great, but i like some of the characters enough to continue watching.
He won. Period.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Season 2 coming in January

Season 2 of Resident Alien will premiere on Wednesday, Jan. 26 at 9 p.m. ET on SYFY. The mid-season finale will air on Mar. 16 at 9 p.m. ET with more episodes coming in the summer.
Really enjoyed Season 1 so I'm looking forward to more.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Even the opening line made me laugh. Tudyk's delivery is so perfect.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

OMG I'm so excited!!! Definitely one of the most fun new shows I've seen in a long long time. It looks like they have so much fun together making the show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Episode 1 of season 2 is up on peacock and I assume has aired on SyFy. So far so good. The kid actor and actress on this show steal all their scenes. Plus, the season premiere has a very special guest.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Finished up Season 1 last night.

Looking forward to see how S2 develops.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 2 starts off a bit weak, but episode 3 was pretty dang good. I hope it maintains that energy for the rest of the season.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

For folks without streaming, Season 1 is available on DVD/BluRay I got mine from Amazon.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:36 pm Season 2 starts off a bit weak, but episode 3 was pretty dang good. I hope it maintains that energy for the rest of the season.
WE were busting up during the 1st episode. Second was a bit less so, but still really good. Haven't gotten to ep 3 yet.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d watch a spin off series featuring Judy.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

lol the musical\play was great
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Watching Harry bonding with his “daughter” over it was great.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m diggin’ the second season still. Especially this latest episode and
Spoiler:
Its hilarious George Takei cameo.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Yeah this back half of the season is fantastic. The episodes seem to be featuring B stories of the side characters, then suddenly they drop a bomb on you at the end. As good as Harry is, I have to say this ensemble is all around fantastic, each of them quirky funny and weird in their own unique ways.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jenna Lamia's Judy cracks me up every time she opens her mouth. But yeah, this ensemble is fantastic. It gives me a Northern Exposure feel. Which is a good thing.
He won. Period.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

hepcat wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:23 pm I’m diggin’ the second season still. Especially this latest episode and
Spoiler:
Its hilarious George Takei cameo.
This sent me into fits of laughter so hard we had to watch the scene again, due to missing everything after the opening lines from laughing too hard.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The discussion between Harry and the Grey over a catchphrase was comedy gold.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rittchard wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:40 pm this ensemble is all around fantastic, each of them quirky funny and weird in their own unique ways.
Except for the mayor, who's just a cartoon. Otherwise I agree, and this season of Resident Alien is pulling ahead of What We Do... as my favorite current comedy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't mind the mayor. He sometimes does "mug for the camera" too much, but he's a nice counterpoint to his wife's more stern countenance.

Judy deserves her own show though. :wub:
He won. Period.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I haven't been able to catch up on this season yet but the show kind of strikes me as Northern Exposure But With An Alien.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Brian wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:44 am I haven't been able to catch up on this season yet but the show kind of strikes me as Northern Exposure But With An Alien.
Great minds think alike :D
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:00 pm Jenna Lamia's Judy cracks me up every time she opens her mouth. But yeah, this ensemble is fantastic. It gives me a Northern Exposure feel. Which is a good thing.
He won. Period.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I thought the sheriff was a little too out there at the start but he keeps leaning into it and he's great. I loved his theory on the perfect murder weapon being "a gun made of ice, so it melts when it shoots... but you'd have to meditate to get your body temperature down so it wouldn't melt in your hands, like a Tibetan monk... but didn't meditate enough to achieve inner peace since you still have to murder someone."
Brian

Post by Brian »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:54 am
Brian wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:44 am I haven't been able to catch up on this season yet but the show kind of strikes me as Northern Exposure But With An Alien.
Great minds think alike :D
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:00 pm Jenna Lamia's Judy cracks me up every time she opens her mouth. But yeah, this ensemble is fantastic. It gives me a Northern Exposure feel. Which is a good thing.
Ha! I had missed that post. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daveman wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:55 am I thought the sheriff was a little too out there at the start but he keeps leaning into it and he's great. I loved his theory on the perfect murder weapon being "a gun made of ice, so it melts when it shoots... but you'd have to meditate to get your body temperature down so it wouldn't melt in your hands, like a Tibetan monk... but didn't meditate enough to achieve inner peace since you still have to murder someone."
Yeah, he really sells that over the top part. A lesser comic actor would feel almost embarrassed uttering some of those lines, and it would show. But not Corey Reynolds. If anything, I think he relishes going all in.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As a reminder. S3 starts on 2/14

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Oh good. I didn't know if it was ever coming back.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 3 starting off strong, I must say. Tudyk is in fine form. They added the great Enver Gjokaj to the cast (seriously, how he never became a big name is confusing to me). And we get prime Judy Pooper. That’s all I need. :wub:
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also want to let people know that now is the time to record Season 3, and start watching Season 1 and 2 on Netflix - for anyone that missed it all before.