The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:20 pm I say to those who want to take a dewormer, have bleach injected into their veins, and shove lights up their asses...more power to them. Plz let me film this also as I may wish to start a new online channel.
And their kids? These people invariably inflict their 'cures' on them, too. And if it's allowed, it legitimizes them, which makes other people more likely to believe their claims, which then results in yet more healthy people dying because they behind them in line was an idiot.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:26 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:20 pm I say to those who want to take a dewormer, have bleach injected into their veins, and shove lights up their asses...more power to them. Plz let me film this also as I may wish to start a new online channel.
And their kids? These people invariably inflict their 'cures' on them, too. And if it's allowed, it legitimizes them, which makes other people more likely to believe their claims, which then results in yet more healthy people dying because they behind them in line was an idiot.
You allow chiropractors, faith healing, etc. What is so special about these "cures" compare to those that they have to be banned?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:54 pm You allow chiropractors, faith healing, etc. What is so special about these "cures" compare to those that they have to be banned?
First off, there is no 'you.' We're not a homogeneous collective consciousness. There are as many people against bullshit in medicine as there are against guns (in both cases, a majority - the issue is with the government more than the governed.)

On top of that, your comparison isn't valid. An actual regulated drug with known side effects and toxicity in high doses doesn't fall into the same category as prayer or expensive massages. And even then chiropractors aren't that widespread here. Only a single-digit percentage of the US population uses them regularly, and they're regulated and strictly limited in what they can do, mostly just those few things with no risks and some proven potential for benefit, such as lower back pain (although even then they're not as effective as a physical therapist or even a good massage therapist.)

And even then we still have court battles when people choose those 'alternative' cures for their children.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Also, covid was a matter of life and death back in our ancestors' time and the government was supposed to keep people from dying, whether from taking snake oil or injecting bleach where it doesn't belong.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Lead author of Cochrane study on masks have practically gone rogue, according to Cochrane review itself...
The Jan. 30 review found that based on existing randomized controlled trials — which tested the effectiveness of interventions encouraging people to wear masks, rather than testing the effectiveness of masks themselves — wearing masks in the community “probably makes little or no difference” to the number of people with influenza or COVID-19-like illnesses.
In other words, there isn’t good evidence from randomized controlled trials that encouraging mask use in the community prevents the spread of respiratory diseases, but the issue also hasn’t been studied very well. So the real answer is unknown.

Despite the limitations, many people misinterpreted the review to be saying that masks “don’t work.”
The lead author of the Cochrane review, Tom Jefferson, seemed to endorse this interpretation when he said in an interview, later quoted by conservative columnist Bret Stephens in a widely viewed opinion piece for the New York Times, “There is just no evidence that they” — referring to masks — “make any difference.”

But experts — and the Cochrane Library — say this is an inaccurate representation of what the review found.

“Many commentators have claimed that a recently-updated Cochrane Review shows that ‘masks don’t work’, which is an inaccurate and misleading interpretation,” Dr. Karla Soares-Weiser, the editor-in-chief of the Cochrane Library, said in a March 10 statement.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:04 am How did she get a medical license? Maybe that need to be investigated since the process failed when someone like her can have a medical license.
Tenpenny was an osteopath that appear to have NO medical training prior to 4 year degree in osteopathy at a college in Missouri. Two years later she was somehow appointed director of ER in a small town hospital, and started her anti-vax in the 2000s.

In 2015 she basically was disinvited from Australia when the the talk organizer realized she's a liability.

Removal of her license was not due to her views, but rather, her refusal to participate in any state medical board hearings for two whole years.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:54 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:26 pm
You allow chiropractors, faith healing, etc. What is so special about these "cures" compare to those that they have to be banned?
Community spread vs wasting your money?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am pleasantly surprised with NY:
As students return to school this week, Governor Kathy Hochul today announced that New York State is making COVID-19 rapid test kits and masks available to school districts and Boards of Cooperative Educational Services by request. This comes amid reports of the new BA.2.86 variant and following a rise in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations this summer. Governor Hochul is also advising schools to follow CDC guidance to help protect students in the classroom.
I mean, it should have been set up to be available Day 0 of the Fall 2023 school year, but it's still impressive that she's (1) acknowledging it and (2) doing something.

And then on the flipside, OHIO:
Today, Sen. JD Vance will introduce the Freedom to Breathe Act, aimed at banning federal mask mandates in the country.

"We tried mask mandates once in this country," said Senator JD Vance. "They failed to control the spread of respiratory viruses, violated basic bodily freedom and set our fellow citizens against one another. This legislation will ensure that no federal bureaucracy, no commercial airline, and no public school can impose the misguided policies of the past.

The act, which would be applied through the end of 2024, would prohibit any federal official from issuing mask mandates applying to domestic air travel, public transit systems or any school system.

It would also prohibit air carriers, transit authorities and educational institutions from refusing service to those who choose not to wear a mask, according to a news release from Vance's office.

"Democrats say they're not going to bring back mask mandates – we're going to hold them to their word," Vance added.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Oh, look, another messaging bill that has zero chance of passage.
Hodor.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:22 pm Oh, look, another messaging bill that has zero chance of passage.
https://covid-19archive.org/s/archive/item/22430
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:46 pm I am pleasantly surprised with NY:
As students return to school this week, Governor Kathy Hochul today announced that New York State is making COVID-19 rapid test kits and masks available to school districts and Boards of Cooperative Educational Services by request. This comes amid reports of the new BA.2.86 variant and following a rise in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations this summer. Governor Hochul is also advising schools to follow CDC guidance to help protect students in the classroom.
I mean, it should have been set up to be available Day 0 of the Fall 2023 school year, but it's still impressive that she's (1) acknowledging it and (2) doing something.

And then on the flipside, OHIO:
Today, Sen. JD Vance will introduce the Freedom to Breathe Act, aimed at banning federal mask mandates in the country.

"We tried mask mandates once in this country," said Senator JD Vance. "They failed to control the spread of respiratory viruses, violated basic bodily freedom and set our fellow citizens against one another. This legislation will ensure that no federal bureaucracy, no commercial airline, and no public school can impose the misguided policies of the past.

The act, which would be applied through the end of 2024, would prohibit any federal official from issuing mask mandates applying to domestic air travel, public transit systems or any school system.

It would also prohibit air carriers, transit authorities and educational institutions from refusing service to those who choose not to wear a mask, according to a news release from Vance's office.

"Democrats say they're not going to bring back mask mandates – we're going to hold them to their word," Vance added.
Am I bad if I hope JD Vance dies because of respiratory viruses? Freedom to die Act.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Basic bodily freedom, eh? Bet there's a lot of women out there that would enjoy that.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:34 am Basic bodily freedom, eh? Bet there's a lot of women out there that would enjoy that.
And I love how they are so upset that it "set our fellow citizens against one another".

Not sure if we are just being trolled, or if it's simply yet another example of how the GOP has absolutely no sense of irony.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I love the idea that because it didn't work for COVID (it did but ignoring that fact), we must prohibit all mask mandates forever more. Will be fun during a TB outbreak or even during flu season, when hospitals routinely require masking for symptomatic individuals. Or some new virus that minds like Vance's don't have the imagination to foresee.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:20 amwe must prohibit all mask mandates forever more.
Nah, just through the end of 2024.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:28 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:20 amwe must prohibit all mask mandates forever more.
Nah, just through the end of 2024.
Edge of the wedge.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I get that floating it is theater, but as y'all noticed, the language is bananas- and from a Senator, no less.

Regardless, a school in Maryland put masks back on the menu:
One week into the 2023–2024 school year, a Maryland elementary school has reinstated mask mandates. Because “three or more” individuals tested positive for Covid, an email sent to parents said, “students and staff in identified classes or activities will be required to mask while in school for the next 10 days, except while eating or drinking.”

The Rosemary Hills Elementary School principal, Rebecca Irwin Kennedy, sent a letter to parents on Tuesday informing them of the mask policy. Kennedy also said in the email that “at-home rapid test kits will be sent home and made available for students” and that students who develop Covid symptoms should stay home from school and be tested for the virus.
Is that so difficult?
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've wondered why not just make it a disease protocol in general? People get insane about COVID "restrictions". Maybe we just need to reinforce basic good sense and just reinforce people shouldn't go to places when they are sick? And then have actions for infection vectors. If a certain amount of people get sick in a place then you mask if it's respiratory. There are hand washing stations if it's a disease known to be passed by contact. Etc.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, that would be a reasonable, logical solution given what we've learned. However, the push back (culturally) against masks is off the charts, because freedom. No one can "see" if you washed your hands (in most cases). Masks are rather obvious and unlike seatbelts or helmets (which people rage over), you'd need to wear them all the time in social settings - not just in very specific situations (like inside a car or on a motorcycle).

Some of it is also 100% on the government at large for not investing in better air handling / HVAC technologies that could help fix this. I keep going back to the analogy that air is the new poop. We figured out that crapping in our drinking water was bad and we eventually took steps to make sure drinking water was clean. Even after learning how critical clean air is, we are collectively just going back to living with lower-quality indoor air that facilitates illness.

Regardless, I totally get the general public's resistance to masks. I don't at all understand how the medical community (at large) is against them.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:24 am I've wondered why not just make it a disease protocol in general? People get insane about COVID "restrictions". Maybe we just need to reinforce basic good sense and just reinforce people shouldn't go to places when they are sick? And then have actions for infection vectors. If a certain amount of people get sick in a place then you mask if it's respiratory. There are hand washing stations if it's a disease known to be passed by contact. Etc.
I see you're new to America. Welcome! You'll settle in shortly.

You speak good sense, and unfortunately such a radical idea as 'stay away from others when sick, and perhaps take simple actions to mitigate spread when conditions suggest it'd be useful' is entirely un-possible here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Gee, I wonder why no one is wearing masks.

Enlarge Image

Really, really disappointing.

article
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OMG, he literally said not to tell us. And they just went and told us anyhow, and even told us he said not to tell us!!
Super burn on Joe.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I did say #cavejohnson we're done here like a year ago, right?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:22 pm Oh, look, another messaging bill that has zero chance of passage.
...and yet, it's not just Vance anymore:
Senator Mike Braun has introduced a bill to ban federal mask mandates for domestic air travel, public transit systems, and primary/secondary/post-secondary schools. The bill is led by J.D. Vance and Senator Braun is a cosponsor along with Senator Josh Hawley and Eric Schmitt.
For something that has zero chance of passage, it sure it interesting to see 4 sitting Senators spending their precious time on it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's not about legislation, it's about messaging for them. That's all a lot of Congress is interested in anymore.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe....they're definitely helping to reinforce their brand, I'll give you that.

Related, the best local democracy happens at 2:48am:
The Huntington Beach City Council narrowly voted to approve a declaration to ban universal mask and COVID-19 vaccine mandates in the city.

The declaration passed with a 4-3 vote. The meeting adjourned at 2:48 a.m. on Wednesday, September 6.

The new mask and vaccine mandate rules only apply to those who have already tested positive for COVID-19.

Mayor Pro Tem Gracey Van Der Mark introduced the motion at the Huntington Beach City Council meeting on Tuesday night. The approval of the declaration essentially makes Huntington Beach a no mask and no vaccine city.

In the declaration, Van Der Mark said in regard to mask mandates imposed at City Hall and other parts of the city in 2020 and 2021 "unnecessarily limited the freedoms of the citizens of Huntington Beach, even those who were not around anyone who tested positive for COVID-19 or at risk of any exposure."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Totally normal:
An elementary school in Silver Spring, Maryland, boosted its security and kept recess indoors Thursday after Texas Sen. Ted Cruz criticized the school's decision to require children in one classroom to wear masks after several people in the class got COVID.

Cruz, a Republican, condemned the requirement in a social media post Wednesday, saying, "If you want to voluntarily wear a mask, fine, but leave our kids the hell alone." The post on X, formerly known as Twitter, included the letter the school sent to parents, which listed the school's name and address.

The reaction to Cruz's post caused police to increase their presence at the school.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well I wore a mask today for the first time in months. Needed to have blood drawn and figured the lab is a magnet for sick people. I was, of course, the only one masked.
malchior

Post by malchior »

5th circuit still being the 5th circuit.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Dying to own the libs:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/pol ... vid-deaths

It’s all that matters.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:13 am Totally normal:
An elementary school in Silver Spring, Maryland, boosted its security and kept recess indoors Thursday after Texas Sen. Ted Cruz criticized the school's decision to require children in one classroom to wear masks after several people in the class got COVID.

Cruz, a Republican, condemned the requirement in a social media post Wednesday, saying, "If you want to voluntarily wear a mask, fine, but leave our kids the hell alone." The post on X, formerly known as Twitter, included the letter the school sent to parents, which listed the school's name and address.

The reaction to Cruz's post caused police to increase their presence at the school.
What is he doing telling a school in Maryland what to do?

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:20 pm What is he doing telling a school in Maryland what to do?
Fundraising.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:32 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:20 pm What is he doing telling a school in Maryland what to do?
Fundraising.
Clearly some of his extramarital children are attending school in Maryland. That's obviously why he's talking about leaving "our children" alone - "our" referring to the mother and himself.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, I guess this came out of nowhere.

COVID hits the U.S. Senate… @SenDuckworth says she tested positive today and is experiencing mild symptoms.

Additional positive tests among lawmakers over the next few weeks could complicate efforts to avoid a government shutdown at the end of the month.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Coincidentally, I am also going to continue working for the people of Illinois in isolation.

(no covid)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Might want to sit down

Here is Rep. Steve Scalise in a mask because he is undergoing chemotherapy for cancer and so, is immunocompromised during an ongoing pandemic.

Yet, amazingly, at many US hospitals, masks are not required—not for patients, not for healthcare workers—even in oncology departments.

Yes, this shows the hypocrisy of GOP leaders & it shows Scalise cares a lot more about himself than he ever did about any of you. But you knew all that. You didn’t need this reminder.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm starting to see a return to masking on my crowded morning and afternoon bus commute in Philadelphia.

As is typically the case, middle-aged and older African-American women lead the way in doing the right thing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:19 pm As is typically the case, middle-aged and older African-American women lead the way in doing the right thing.
My understanding (via surveys) is that it's because they're terrified of the racial statistics associated with Covid-19 hospitalizations - and rightly so.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I recently camw down with...something...
Home Covud test was negative as was PCR test at docs. Also negative for any type of flu.
Sore all over, general fatigue, headaches. Light headed and lits of coughing. It certainly seemed like Covid to me.
I'm currently doing physically and occupied therapy.
I called out for a few sessions because I didn't know yet. Once i confirmed it wasn't covid I started back up but I still wore a mask because regardless of what it is i still didn't want other people to get sick from me.
I just think it's the polite thing to do. Japan has been doung it since way begore Covid. Which gote thinkning. I winder if the mask issue in the US is really deeply rooted in the fact that the majority of us are actually just not intetested in being polite.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us