The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by Max Peck »

Speaking of right-wing/anti-vax/COVID-denying crazies...

Ontario's College of Physicians and Surgeons limits building access after 'serious' threats
The group that regulates the practice of medicine in Ontario says it is limiting public access to its buildings due to safety concerns.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario says it has been receiving up to 200 emails a month consisting of serious threats against staff and council members.

The public can now observe the group's quarterly council meetings via livestream, as the college says its safety is a priority.

In an email to The Canadian Press, a spokesperson for the college sent excerpts of some messages it has received in recent months.

Some messages indirectly threaten the group's members stating they should "settle their affairs."

Others call the group "satanists" and "monsters" for encouraging injections of COVID-19 vaccines to curb the spread of the virus.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:26 pm Overwhelmingly elders

Enlarge Image

I don't have a handy chart for underlying conditions but given the number of people suffering chronic illnesses (broadly) in the United States...

This is why the 18-24 crowd I engage with on the regular doesn't care; overwhelmingly they're not impacted by death. Well, until grandma is sick.

EDIT: DANGFLABBIT! BAMMED by needing to provide extra commentary!
I guess I don't think of 65 as elderly anymore. People largely weren't retiring until 72 or older until COVID said go home. I get the 18 - 30 not seeing and not caring but they are not the "elite consciousness that thinks we over-reacted". They were always the less the more more carefree, so unless by elite, you mean the "feeling invulnerable by virtue of youth" then I get you. It seems to be conflating demographics to me. Those who don't want be bound by COVID awareness don't seem to all belong to the same demographic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:22 pm I get the 18 - 30 not seeing and not caring but they are not the "elite consciousness that thinks we over-reacted".
They have other systemic issues.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A million people died and somehow in the elite consciousness COVID has been transformed into "something we overreacted to." What happened, of course, is that the people who died were mostly out of sight, for them
Survivor bias. I remember discussing this in relation to COVID in 2020. Maybe in this thread.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe. I still think it's everyone focusing just on death.

Also, I had to read the dates on this story like three times:
WASHINGTON, Jan 17 (Reuters) - The Justice Department on Tuesday asked an appeals court panel to reverse an April 2021 ruling that declared unlawful a government order requiring masks on airplanes, buses, trains, ridesharing services and at airports and other transportation hubs.

Much of the arguments in the appeal focus on the CDC's decision to put in place the requirements immediately rather than give the public a chance to comment on the mandate.

Justice Department lawyer Brian Springer said the CDC could impose mask requirements without giving the public time to comment given the pandemic emergency, arguing it was necessary "to prevent the possible infections and deaths that could result if people didn't do the simple thing of just putting on a mask while they were traveling."

Lawyer Brant C. Hadaway representing the five people who had sued to challenge the mandate noted the CDC last year had not sought a stay of the district court's ruling.

"This is not about an urgent matter of public health," Hadaway told the court. He argued that had the CDC believed the issue was a "matter of life and death" the agency would have sought a faster ruling.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:21 pm The more things change.... Snopes says this is real, and elaborates.

People. People never change. But, Smoove, you absolutely need to change your sig to reflect that you’re OO’s quasi-official “sanitary bumbailiff.” :D
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:54 pm But, Smoove, you absolutely need to change your sig to reflect that you’re OO’s quasi-official “sanitary bumbailiff.” :D
I hear "sanitary bumbailiff" in the cadence of "teenage goo goo muck".

"When the risks go up and the masks come off... I turn into a sanitary bumbailiff."
-Smoove-B
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D F-ing great, the both of you.

In other news, here's a peek behind the curtain - how the elite are handling things.

Everyone at the World Economic Forum annual meeting — including journalists and participants — has to take a PCR test upon arrival. If you don’t take a test, the chip in your ID badge is deactivated. If you test positive for Covid the badge is also deactivated.
So then we see photos or video of the event without people masked and we collectively think, "Oh, masking isn't normal; I don't need to wear one." They don't tell you that in order to go around without a mask, everyone in attendance is getting a PCR test.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Price for entry is also $250K. The WEF is fantasyland for the elite.

Protecting the masses slows the wheels of profit.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just got a note from the kids' pediatrician the they can get boosters.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:00 am It's almost as if people are the problem.
Right‽
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:26 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:00 am It's almost as if people are the problem.
Right‽
It's amazing how universally applicable your signature is to every post.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:17 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:26 pm
Right‽
It's amazing how universally applicable your signature is to every post.
:wub:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just need to hear something similar was done in Congress, because that wouldn't surprise me at all.

It seems the UK government has quietly fitted the Houses of Parliament with an air filtration system designed to minimize airborne viruses, whilst telling the public that Covid is over and that there's not enough money to improve ventilation in schools.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I'm sure in UK, they have more school buildings than Houses of Parliament buildings. So they still can tell the truth that there's not enough money to improve ventilation in schools.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:15 pm Just need to hear something similar was done in Congress, because that wouldn't surprise me at all.
I'd think the House would be too busy making smoke filled back rooms great again.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:15 pm Just need to hear something similar was done in Congress, because that wouldn't surprise me at all.

It seems the UK government has quietly fitted the Houses of Parliament with an air filtration system designed to minimize airborne viruses, whilst telling the public that Covid is over and that there's not enough money to improve ventilation in schools.
Thank you for quoting as the tweet is now unavailable. That happens a lot around here.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:33 am

Thank you for quoting as the tweet is now unavailable. That happens a lot around here.
He deleted it because he didn't consider it to be factually accurate, and tweeted a follow-up explanation.

Deleted a post that contained an error: the air filtration system upgrades at the Houses of Parliament were ordered by an independent committee and not by the UK government. I am awaiting further information and will update accordingly.

But in any case the scandal remains that they haven’t enforced this for schools hospitals workplaces social venues etc etc

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

...and independent committee made up of members from or appointed by the government? I get that it's important to be technically correct here but I don't believe a random 3rd part unaffiliated with the government slapped high-tech air purification systems in Parliament.
Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:29 pm I'm sure in UK, they have more school buildings than Houses of Parliament buildings. So they still can tell the truth that there's not enough money to improve ventilation in schools.
They can say it; doesn't mean it's true. But that's not really the point here - it's another example of people in power vocally minimizing COVID-19 while simultaneous installing controls behind the scenes to lower their own risks. If it was part of a dystopian movie plot, people wouldn't believe it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:19 am ...and independent committee made up of members from or appointed by the government? I get that it's important to be technically correct here but I don't believe a random 3rd part unaffiliated with the government slapped high-tech air purification systems in Parliament.
Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:29 pm I'm sure in UK, they have more school buildings than Houses of Parliament buildings. So they still can tell the truth that there's not enough money to improve ventilation in schools.
They can say it; doesn't mean it's true. But that's not really the point here - it's another example of people in power vocally minimizing COVID-19 while simultaneous installing controls behind the scenes to lower their own risks. If it was part of a dystopian movie plot, people wouldn't believe it.
It is almost certainly true that the cost to improve air filitration systems in all or most of the schools in the UK is substantially larger than the cost to do it in Parliament. But it's also true that the social benefits of improving air filitration systems across the country would be enormous. On top of that they could do it while still minimizing covid - even if you think that the pandemic is mostly passed, improved air filitration should help with substantially all airborne viruses, not just covid.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:34 amit's also true that the social benefits of improving air filtration systems across the country would be enormous. On top of that they could do it while still minimizing covid - even if you think that the pandemic is mostly passed, improved air filitration should help with substantially all airborne viruses, not just covid.
Amen. Filtration/airflow is one of those things that has always made sense on a conceptual level, but it's become concrete for me since we put two HEPA filters in our own home last year. Our kids have had several little colds and one COVID infection since then, and in zero of these instances did anyone else in the house get sick.

So, my experience has been that it sure seems like cracking a couple of windows and updating filtration goes a long way.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:04 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:34 amit's also true that the social benefits of improving air filtration systems across the country would be enormous. On top of that they could do it while still minimizing covid - even if you think that the pandemic is mostly passed, improved air filitration should help with substantially all airborne viruses, not just covid.
Amen. Filtration/airflow is one of those things that has always made sense on a conceptual level, but it's become concrete for me since we put two HEPA filters in our own home last year. Our kids have had several little colds and one COVID infection since then, and in zero of these instances did anyone else in the house get sick.

So, my experience has been that it sure seems like cracking a couple of windows and updating filtration goes a long way.
Where did you get those filters, and do you have a link? Curious whether it's worth us doing that as well.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:11 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:04 pm

Where did you get those filters, and do you have a link? Curious whether it's worth us doing that as well.
https://cowaymega.com/pages/airmega

We have an AP-1512HHS and a 250S. One in each of our main open areas. When the kids have been sick, we also crack a couple windows on each level and keep our distance from the kids, but have only masked up when our daughter actually had COVID.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:19 am ...and independent committee made up of members from or appointed by the government? I get that it's important to be technically correct here but I don't believe a random 3rd part unaffiliated with the government slapped high-tech air purification systems in Parliament.
Yeah, I suspect that he's just differeniating between "The Government" in the sense of the political party in power and "the government" in the sense of the overall bureaucracy. It strikes me as the sort of thing that might have been initiated by the career bureaucrats who manage and maintain the facilities rather than something that was driven by elected officials, but I guess we'll see once it's fully reported.

It doesn't shed any light on precisely who made the decision, but apparently the existing HVAVC system was upgraded by Purified Air.
Houses of Parliament
London

Purified Air were tasked to incorporate filtration solutions into the existing HVAC system of the Houses of Parliament to improve the indoor air quality of the building. We achieved this by installing Electrostatic Precipitators (ESP) within the existing Air Handling Units. 

The ESPs vastly improved upon the indoor air quality, ensuring that airborne viruses and bacteria were kept to an absolute minimum within the space. The cleaner air also helped enhance feelings of well-being and increase productivity for the occupiers of the space. Purified Air were very proud to supply product for this air purification project.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Meanwhile, in Utah...

Plastic surgeon injected kids with saline instead of COVID vaccine, feds allege
A Utah plastic surgeon and three of his associates are facing federal charges for a year-long scheme in which they allegedly squirted around 2,000 vaccine doses down the drain, sold falsified vaccination cards for $50 each, and tricked kids into thinking they were vaccinated against COVID-19 by injecting them with saline, collectively, 391 times.

Federal prosecutors last week indicted Dr. Michael Kirk Moore Jr., who owns and operates Plastic Surgery Institute of Utah in Midvale, south of Salt Lake City, as well as the business' office manager, Kari Dee Burgoyne, its receptionist, Sandra Flores, and a neighbor of Moore's, Kristin Jackson Andersen. All four are charged with conspiracy to defraud the federal government, along with two counts related to improper disposal of government property.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s one hell of a retirement strategy.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

They weren't profiting by this, right? So presumably they thought themselves heroes for this?
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Must have I mean why not just use the vaccine unless you're too dumb to be part of the solution.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:30 am They weren't profiting by this, right? So presumably they thought themselves heroes for this?
They still got paid for doing it. So they're still profiting.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:45 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:30 am They weren't profiting by this, right? So presumably they thought themselves heroes for this?
Yeah but they got paid for administering vaccinations. They didn't make extra scratch by subbing out water. Their reward was saving children from Bill Gates's nanobots.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:00 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:45 am
Yeah but they got paid for administering vaccinations. They didn't make extra scratch by subbing out water. Their reward was saving children from Bill Gates's nanobots.
In the kids' cases it seems they were doing it at the behest of the parents, so presumably there was still the $50 "donation" to the "charity" in return for the fake vaccination documentation. Presumably the saline injection was because they didn't feel that kids could be relied on to consistently lie about being vaccinated.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:13 am Must have I mean why not just use the vaccine unless you're too dumb to be part of the solution.
And if you're not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate. IMO.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:57 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:13 am Must have I mean why not just use the vaccine unless you're too dumb to be part of the solution.
And if you're not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate. IMO.
Chemistry humor is always sublime.

I hope every person involved in the story above is jailed and that the medical professionals lose their license to practice. Zero tolerance.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No one likes jokes? Ok, back to the COVID with a follow up article on what came from looking into the protocols at Davos:
In addition to high-quality ventilation, masks, hotlines and PCR testing, some have noted the signature blue glow of Far-UVC lighting, demonstrated to kill pathogens in the air, although this is unconfirmed. We can be certain, however, that the testing, high-quality ventilation, and filtration protocol is effective at preventing the kind of super-spreader events most of us are now accustomed to attending.

It seems unlikely to me that a New York Times reporter will follow the super-rich around like David Attenborough on safari, the way one of their employees did when they profiled middle-class maskers last month. I doubt they will write “family members and friends can get a little exasperated by the hyper-concern” about the assembled prime ministers, presidents, and CEOs in Switzerland. After all, these are important people. The kind of people who merit high-quality ventilation. The kind of people who deserve accurate tests.
Happy to see NJ getting some credit here. Represent!
Clean water and clean food are rights we fought for; we have regulatory bodies that ensure we aren’t exposed to pathogens via our water supply nor our food. In 1854, John Snow famously conducted his Broad Street Pump study in London and demonstrated that cholera was water-bourne; however, it took decades for our public policy to catch up with our scientific knowledge.

A public health case study published by the NBCI describes the years that followed:

The first use of chlorine as a disinfectant for water facilities was in 1897 in England. The first use of this method for municipal water facilities in the United States was in Jersey City, New Jersey, and Chicago, Illinois, in 1915. Other cities followed and the use of chlorination as standard treatment for water disinfection rapidly grew. During the 20th century, death rates from waterborne diseases decreased significantly, and although other additional factors contributed to the general improvements in health (such as sanitation, improved quality of life, and nutrition), the improvement of water quality was, without doubt, a major reason.
Just to clarify, the feeder that dispensed chlorine into the public drinking water was invented by a resident in Westfield, NJ in 1913.

But yeah, this is where we are in 2023:
Can you imagine, in the 1890s, being somebody who argued against cleaning the water?
Can you imagine, in those years of plentiful cholera, calling the people who demanded shit-free water—and took personal measures until that happened—“hold outs”?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:07 pm No one likes jokes?
Sublimation jokes are the best jokes!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Still trying too hard.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The key with chemistry jokes is to only use them periodically.