[America] Domestic violent extremism

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: [America] Domestic violent extremism

Post by Smoove_B »

I wonder if we'll do anything about the "Active Clubs"?
Active Clubs mix white supremacy and violence, training in kickboxing, among other combat sports. But — at least the moment — they’re not seeking to intimidate the public with swastikas and face tattoos, common to other groups of racist brawlers. Instead, Active Clubs have put forward a slicker, more presentable aesthetic — recruiting new members by touting physical fitness, self-improvement, and “white unity.”

The Active Clubs are flying below the radar of law enforcement. But as described in a new 50-page report from the Counter Extremism Project (CEP), the network is evolving into a dangerous “stand-by militia” of well-trained, white-nationalist fighters “who can be activated when the need for coordinated violent action on a larger scale arises.”

White Supremacy 3.0 in this context seeks to achieve a mix of publicly-presentable aesthetics, real-world activism, and white-power solidarity. The Active Clubs reflect these ideas in their slogans, including, “Make fascism fun,” “White unity at every opportunity,” and “Being handsome and jacked is more important than being right when it comes to politics.”

Active Clubs do not have a top-down hierarchy. They operate instead as an “open network” of locally run cells that all share the same ethos. According to the CEP report, “Active Clubs are supposed to connect and cooperate but stay operationally independent.” The logic behind the distributed power structure is that “infiltrations and arrests of leadership figures, or even the shutdown of an Active Club, should have little if any effect on the Active Club network itself.”
Of note:
What do Active Clubs Look Like?

The Active Clubs present themselves as groups of gym bros who pursue mixed martial arts — and just happen to dabble in white power. “They are specifically asked not to talk about ‘The Jews’ when recruiting, but to focus on positive things like brotherhood, community and so on,” says Alexander Ritzmann, the Berlin-based researcher who authored the CEP report. This follows Rundo’s belief that: “A group of strong white men is a fascist statement in itself.”

Embracing the socially-acceptable violence of MMA culture allows active clubs to avoid the attention of law enforcement, who at first glance, Ritzmann says, would encounter what appears to be just “sporty white men — not much to see here.”

But beneath the surface, Active Clubs represent gangs of young white supremacists who are all about the “glorification of brutal violence,” Ritzmann insists. Lewis, the GW extremism researcher, warns that Active Clubs have “truly become the tip of the fascist spear.”
Where?
Since their founding in late 2020, the Active Clubs have grown explosively. There are now nearly 50 active clubs across 34 states, according to the CEP research. The network is also active in Canada, where there are a dozen clubs, and in Europe where 46 clubs can be found across 14 different countries.

In the U.S., the groups are now taking leadership cues from Rundo’s home club, SoCal Active Club. Other prominent cells include the Tennessee Active Club, the Great Lakes Active Club, the Southern Sons Active Club, and the Evergreen Active Club. A typical Active Club ranges from five to 25 members. But they have a broader reach through social media. The Telegram channels of the most popular clubs have hundreds — and as many as thousands — of subscribers.

Most clubs adopt a similar white-power logo, a cross inside a circle. “This is a use — or abuse — of the Celtic cross, and then they put their local spin on it,” Ritzmann says. Despite supposed prohibitions on Nazi symbolism, some clubs have drifted into more overt anti-semitism and racism. The Southern Sons Active Club logo, for example, features SS lightning bolts and a sonnenrad instead of a Celtic cross.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Can't do anything until they break a law. Fitness and racism doesn't cross any lines.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Great Lakes Active club is a fraternal organization for young, like minded white men in the lower and upper peninsula of Michigan that is dedicated to physical fitness, self improvement and brotherhood.
Jesus.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:49 pm Can't do anything until they break a law. Fitness and racism doesn't cross any lines.
if you're white.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:49 pm Can't do anything until they break a law. Fitness and racism doesn't cross any lines.
We certainly don't want to proactively respond to the rise of Neo-Nazism in the United States. They clearly have rights.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Relax. I'm sure plenty of cops have infiltrated these groups.

And by "infiltrated" I mean "joined up and trained with."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:11 pm
We certainly don't want to proactively respond to the rise of Neo-Nazism in the United States. They clearly have rights.
I'm open to legal suggestions.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:11 pm We certainly don't want to proactively respond to the rise of Neo-Nazism in the United States. They clearly have rights.
Respond by watching, sure. Respond by taking action against people for promoting the wrong opinions?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Or maybe respond by arresting them before they cause a problem.

Isn't prevention better than cure? :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:44 pm Respond by watching, sure. Respond by taking action against people for promoting the wrong opinions?
Wrong opinions doesn't adequately describe white supremacy that's tilting into Nazism and violence. This isn't a difference of opinion on a tax rate or whether main street needs a bike lane.

And no, I'm not suggesting we round up folks and cart them away. I am suggesting they're put under active surveillance and made to know their nonsense won't be tolerated. This would be confusing because apparently we've collectively decided that we will indeed tolerate their nonsense.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:36 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:44 pm Respond by watching, sure. Respond by taking action against people for promoting the wrong opinions?
Wrong opinions doesn't adequately describe white supremacy that's tilting into Nazism and violence. This isn't a difference of opinion on a tax rate or whether main street needs a bike lane.

And no, I'm not suggesting we round up folks and cart them away. I am suggesting they're put under active surveillance and made to know their nonsense won't be tolerated.
Are you sure we're not? It's not like we announce surveillance or undercover operations.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:56 pm Are you sure we're not?
When I see various groups openly displaying Nazi and Nazi-adjacent flair, that tells me they're comfortable being themselves. They should never be comfortable being themselves in public.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:14 pm
When I see various groups openly displaying Nazi and Nazi-adjacent flair, that tells me they're comfortable being themselves. They should never be comfortable being themselves in public.
People with certain... personalities... take pleasure in making others uncomfortable, and take pleasure in flouting authority. These are the same people who carry assault rifles to the grocery store just because they can. It's not about whether they're comfortable (or even they're truly being themselves), it's that they've got enough anger to make a statement that says, "Go ahead - try to stop me."

If you put obvious surveillance in front of these people, they'll likely just go over and pose in front of it.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:23 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:14 pm
People with certain... personalities... take pleasure in making others uncomfortable, and take pleasure in flouting authority. These are the same people who carry assault rifles to the grocery store just because they can. It's not about whether they're comfortable (or even they're truly being themselves), it's that they've got enough anger to make a statement that says, "Go ahead - try to stop me."

If you put obvious surveillance in front of these people, they'll likely just go over and pose in front of it.
I think a popular bumper sticker I've seen on my way to work a couple different times sums it up:
My rights don't end where your feelings begin.
What else is there to say?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

If they are "white only" then there are for sure legal penalties that can be applied against them. If they are renting space, then apply legal penalties to the space they are renting until they are kicked out. If they are promoting on social media, apply legal penalties to their hosting provider or social media provider until they are banned. They maybe have a right to a "private club" of whites only, but any time that private club makes use of something that is not personally owned by one of the members. bring on the lawyers. make it so legally toxic to associate with them that is has to remain private.

that would only work , of course, if this shit wasn't passively tolerated by 47% of the country.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:57 pm If they are "white only" then there are for sure legal penalties that can be applied against them. If they are renting space, then apply legal penalties to the space they are renting until they are kicked out. If they are promoting on social media, apply legal penalties to their hosting provider or social media provider until they are banned. They maybe have a right to a "private club" of whites only, but any time that private club makes use of something that is not personally owned by one of the members. bring on the lawyers. make it so legally toxic to associate with them that is has to remain private.

that would only work , of course, if this shit wasn't passively tolerated by 47% of the country.
Not sure that would work. If they make a group reservation at a restaurant or rent out a pickleball court, what can you do? An owner could refuse, probably, but if they don't there isn't a legal recourse I can think of.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:57 pm If they are "white only" then there are for sure legal penalties that can be applied against them. If they are renting space, then apply legal penalties to the space they are renting until they are kicked out. If they are promoting on social media, apply legal penalties to their hosting provider or social media provider until they are banned. They maybe have a right to a "private club" of whites only, but any time that private club makes use of something that is not personally owned by one of the members. bring on the lawyers. make it so legally toxic to associate with them that is has to remain private.

If they are abiding by the terms of the lease, how do you effect the rental? If they abide by the hosting provider's TOS, how to you effect that?
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The vast majority of lease agreements and TOS statements include terms which prohibit discrimination. If a lesee is actively practising discrimination, then that can be grounds for dismissal of the lease.

If a private club rents a pickleball court for the afternoon, there is not much that can be done, no.

But if a club rents out a space in a strip mall to open a gym, and starts accepting members there, but discriminates who can join, then the strip mall owner does have legal recourse.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

As a result of the arrests of key R.A.M. members in 2018, Rundo shifted his focus toward developing a decentralized fraternal white brotherhood, what he called “white nationalism 3.0.” In a December 2020 essay, Rundo explained that groups that were part of what he considered “white nationalism 2.0” were large—upwards of 50 members—and were active on mainstream media, making it easy for researchers and law enforcement to find them. What made “white nationalism 3.0” different was that Active Clubs would be formed. They’d be smaller than typical white supremacist organizations and more careful about their online image. Active Clubs would focus on localized recruitment, making it more difficult for researchers and law enforcement to identify them and shut down operations. The formation of Active Clubs also helped ensure that Rundo could not be potentially tied to any one group’s illicit activity.
Good writeup at the ADL.

This isn't their first rodeo.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From the Chicago Sun Times:
Key Findings

Officials closed a probe into Chicago cops’ ties to the Oath Keepers last year without finding any wrongdoing or even investigating most of the officers linked to the group.

Many of the cops on the Oath Keepers' rolls worked in the Special Operations Section, which was disbanded amid revelations that some members committed brazen robberies and the purported ringleader plotted to murder a colleague.

Chicagoans recounted their experiences with the officers, offering an unprecedented look at how some of these cops have performed on the job.

After WBEZ and the Sun-Times asked questions, Chicago police said it was opening a new investigation.
Article:
Many of the cops on the Oath Keepers' rolls worked in the Special Operations Section, which was disbanded amid revelations that some members had committed brazen robberies and the purported ringleader plotted to murder a colleague. Some of the officers tied to the Oath Keepers have been departmental trainers, teaching young cops how to do the job.

The leaked membership records show that several cops promised to promote the Oath Keepers at work or reported that colleagues recruited them into the group.

A detective in the financial crimes section told the organization that his “brothers in Blue have passed the word amongst ourselves,” while a former sergeant vowed to “spread the word of Oath Keepers to Officers at roll calls.”

Hoffman was one of the few officers targeted in the police department’s Oath Keepers probe, but he retired in January 2022 before he could be interviewed by investigators.

Nowacki is assigned to the Shakespeare District. Nicezyporuk works in the department’s training and support group.

At least seven other active-duty cops appeared on the Oath Keepers roster:

Officers Phillip Singto, Alberto Retamozo, and Bienvenido Acevedo are assigned to districts on the North and Northwest sides. Matthew Bracken works on the West Side.
Officer Dennis Mack works in the public transportation section.
Detective Anthony Keany investigates financial crimes.
Detective Alexander Kim is assigned to the Area 3 detective division.

Bracken said in an interview for this story he has not identified with the Oath Keepers in over a decade and never attended meetings or paid membership fees, though the group’s leaked records show he’s listed as a dues-paying member in records as recently as 2015.

Bracken said he was attracted by the group’s mission statement and the fact it was for “people who served,” noting that friends in his military unit had joined and he wanted to help one of them bolster membership. Still, he called his commitment “a one-time deal.”
Of note:
John Catanzara, the president of the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, cast the city’s efforts to root out extremism as a “goofy witch hunt,” insisting that officers should be judged by their actions and not associations that could date back years.

Catanzara said the investigations of cops linked to the far-right have gone too far, and he slammed Witzburg for repeatedly pressuring police officials to reopen cases.

Still, he expressed a willingness to purge the department of cops with “insane beliefs and practices.”

“No one’s promoting insurrection or overthrowing the government, or kidnapping like they crazily did with the plot with [Michigan Gov.] Gretchen Whitmer,” Catanzara said of the union. “But if our officers are engaged in that, then so be it. Get rid of them. We have no problem with that.”
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Such a wonderful country we live in these days. I bet my grandpa is proud of what it has become after he fought in WW2 for it and it's ideals.

Thats sarcasm btw.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Victoria Raverna wrote:Or maybe respond by arresting them before they cause a problem.

Isn't prevention better than cure? :)
Quis quistodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchers)

Thoughtcrime is not the solution. Trump '24 would love that!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Colorado man with explosives, wearing tactical gear dies at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park
The man has been identified as a 20-year-old from the nearby town of Carbondale, although officials did not immediately release his name. A cause of death has also not been released but the Garfield County Coroner is investigating the death as a suicide.
According to the Garfield County Sheriff's Office, the man was dressed in black-colored tactical clothing, with patches and emblems that gave the appearance of being associated with law enforcement. The suspect was heavily armed with a semi-automatic rifle and semi-automatic handgun and multiple loaded magazines for both weapons.

He was wearing body armor and what appeared to be a ballistic helmet, according to investigators. Multiple improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, were discovered with the suspect and a vehicle associated with him. The Grand Junction Bomb Squad responded to the scene and they rendered the devices safe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Indy police arrest ‘terrorist’ for purposely driving her car into home used by hate group
IMPD officers arrested a woman, who police labeled a “terrorist,” after she drove her car into a building in what she described as a planned attack on the Israelite School of Universal and Practical Knowledge.

Ruba Almaghtheh, 34, was arrested on a preliminary charge of intimidation which is a level 5 felony if the threat is to commit terrorism.
The Anti-Defamation League defines the Israelite School of Universal and Practical Knowledge as an “extreme and antisemitic” sect of the Black Hebrew Israelites. The Southern Poverty Law Center has designated the Black Hebrew Israelites as a hate group.

According to the report, Almaghtheh was interviewed by detectives and admitted to committing the hate crime during her courtesy phone call with a family member.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Having done some quick reading... so, an antisemitic lunatic just committed and antisemitic hate crime against an antisemitic hate group.

Yay?
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:21 pm Having done some quick reading... so, an antisemitic lunatic just committed and antisemitic hate crime against an antisemitic hate group.

Yay?
Probably wrong target. But is it a real antisemitic hate group? Or maybe it is just an anti zionist hate group that got labelled as antisemitic?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:27 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:21 pm Having done some quick reading... so, an antisemitic lunatic just committed and antisemitic hate crime against an antisemitic hate group.

Yay?
Probably wrong target. But is it a real antisemitic hate group? Or maybe it is just an anti zionist hate group that got labelled as antisemitic?
The attacker targeted a logo without checking to see what it meant.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/radical-hebrew-israelites]SPLC
“The only real Jews on the planet are the black, Hispanic, and native Indians. Ain’t no white man ever going to be a Jew. They are imposters in this land. Even Hitler knew it, even Hitler knew.” – Chapter member, Israelite School of Universal Practical Knowledge, Feb. 25, 2019
There's plenty more out there. They're pure anti-Semitic, with a strong anti-LGBT+, anti-white, anti-Israel, and anti-whateverthehellelse element.
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:41 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:27 pm

Yay?
The attacker targeted a logo without checking to see what it meant.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/radical-hebrew-israelites]SPLC
“The only real Jews on the planet are the black, Hispanic, and native Indians. Ain’t no white man ever going to be a Jew. They are imposters in this land. Even Hitler knew it, even Hitler knew.” – Chapter member, Israelite School of Universal Practical Knowledge, Feb. 25, 2019
There's plenty more out there. They're pure anti-Semitic, with a strong anti-LGBT+, anti-white, anti-Israel, and anti-whateverthehellelse element.
Wow. A real anti-semitic Jewish hate group. Didn't know about them.

The problem with accusing anti-zionist as anti-semitic is that we can't separate them with real anti-semitic hate groups like this.

Something interesting about their statement about Hitler, did Hitler only slaughter white Jews?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hitler wasn't about who he slaughtered - Hitler was about who he didn't slaughter.

He targeted gay men. He rounded up and 'cleansed' close to two million ethnic Poles. He targeted the Romani, killing hundreds of thousands. He targeted disabled people (killing hundreds of thousands, including thousands of infants.) He targeted black people (he sterilized hundreds of black children.) Hell, he targeted Jehovah's Witnesses, putting thousands into camps. The list goes on...

He targeted Jews to the extent he did because he hated them the most, and because using others' hatred of them was the lever that he used to come to power. The other groups received less focus, but he was very clear that they were on the list for more attention later.

But racist groups (like the one we're discussing) aren't interested in facts. They're interested in hate.