The Biden Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by stessier »

It seems relatively new that they are clapping back. I kind of like it.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im very thankful Biden is President during Queen Elizabeth's passing. I cant even imagine how embarrassing the greed turd would be.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just watched the 60 Minutes Biden interview.

He’s aged considerably since the last time I’ve seen that kind of up close/spontaneous footage of him. :(

He really should not run, and I think HE thinks that as well based on the way he answered that question.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

He's going to run again.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Godammit if true.

The man is CLEARLY age-addled and fuzzy-brained at best, and it’s not his stuttering impediment.

I remember him quite a few years ago, speaking very clearly, with purpose and confidence. Sadly, he’s very far from that now.

Hopefully someone high up in the D party is trying to find solid alternatives.

Reminds me a lot of Lee Corso. In one or two short seasons, the man has gone from ‘wow, he’s sharp for his age!’ to ‘wow, he’s REALLY showing his age’.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

To be clear there's nothing official - Biden hasn't announced that he's running for reelection. But...he's going to run for reelection. The one caveat is if he has some major public health breakdown in 2022-2023.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:06 am To be clear there's nothing official - Biden hasn't announced that he's running for reelection. But...he's going to run for reelection. The one caveat is if he has some major public health breakdown in 2022-2023.
I could totally see that happening. Hell, I thought it might as I was watching him tonight!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:06 am To be clear there's nothing official - Biden hasn't announced that he's running for reelection. But...he's going to run for reelection. The one caveat is if he has some major public health breakdown in 2022-2023.
You keep saying that and IDK if I want you to be right or not. If the bogeyman is trump, then sure, Biden's the man. If it's DeSatan or almost anyone else, then the age and sharpness contrast is against him.

The first half of season 1 ended on an upbeat note. The second half of S1 depends on what the viewers think in November, and that will determine if he gets renewed for S2.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I agree with Carpet_pissr. We have generally only gotten short 30-second clips of Biden. Seeing him long form further reinforces that he is simply too degraded. It was shocking how bad he looked and sounded. He should absolutely step aside no matter who the opponent is IMO. His only upside is he isn't the Republican. That's about it for me at this point. He said things last night that had me constantly scratching my head. Pandemic is over? We'll defend Taiwan no matter what...risking thermonuclear war? It didn't sound realistic and it was immediately walked back by the White House. There had to be a more artful way to say that.

One real moment where I said bullshit was his comments about the Trump raid. Perhaps he truly was in the dark about the raid but when he said he had not been briefed on it?! Come on. He hasn't been briefed on the impact of the greatest national security spill in decades?! I certainly hope he was just lying.

But this is the United States in the 21st. A gerontocracy at war with itself.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, I thought the whole ‘plausible deniability’ act on the docs was both absurd and disappointing.

I understand what he (rather his staff) was trying to do, and why, but he didn’t pull it off to say the least.

He went too far in the other direction: ‘MaraLago raid?! What are you talking about, man?!’
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:26 am His only upside is he isn't the Republican.
He has compassion without being perceived as too radical by anyone other than people who are never going to vote for anything other than the republican. That's what I think guided his course.

He was bold enough to call out Putin before the invasion or Ukraine and committed enough to urge what has been enduring support where it is needed and can justly go.

He at least began a very good COVID response that stopped the hemorrhaging of hospitalizations and deaths we were experiencing.

That said, I hope there is something better to rally behind. Not sure what that is at this point and I only hope I recognize it when I see it.

However, he has the same best upside as every other candidate that is not Republican, by virtue of not being republican. It's the about as close to a defining characteristic as I can think, which continues to depress me. I hate being held hostage. I hate that my vote for governor will be for a hypocrite who did very little in order to try and the dam from bursting. I like Joe a lot more than I like Gretchen. I'm not even thrilled about having to vote for Tlaib but at least she has an undeniable sense of compassion for her district and the nation and acts on it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He intervened to stop a rail strike. Contrast this with Reagan who told ATC workers to go fuck themselves.

He got relief $$ relief to millions of Americans.

He got us out of Afghanistan.

He was the first to get some modicum of climate change response.

He has actively sought support for Ukraine.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

To add one more thing (that is very important to me, personally), he seems to be a genuinely decent human being.

That’s not to be sniffed at in our current political climate.

(Doesn’t change my opinion on whether or not he should run again, though).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump’s a decent perso….

…yeah….I couldn’t make it through that.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:31 pm Trump’s a decent perso….

…yeah….I couldn’t make it through that.
Come on, you can do it...

"...nification of..."

That's it!

"....sna...snake feces"

Yes!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Carpet_pissr wrote:That’s not to be sniffed at in our current political climate.
A somewhat poor choice of words in regards to Biden, but we'll let it slide. :lol:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Before Joe Manchin decided at the very last minute to not destroy Biden's presidency, he was in some danger of falling into a political death spiral, where low approval ratings leads ambitious democrats to inch further towards a primary challenge, which leads to further discussion of them and their potential candidacies, which lowers Biden's approval rating as people start to think about Biden vs. other democrats as opposed to Biden v. Trump or Republicans, which leads more Democrats to lean into primary challenges, which lowers Biden's approval rating...

But the last couple months have gone well for him, which has improved his standing considerably. Though the mid-terms is a big test. If Democrats manage to hold onto both chambers of Congress (unlikely, but more possible than it seemed before) then Biden will bask in the glow of that victory and I really can't see anyone challenging him. If Democrats lose both chambers...there's at least a chance that that pushes Biden back into political death spiral territory.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That math looks about right for the short-term. The worst part to me is that losing the House is pretty likely for a host of non-Biden reasons. However, it'll be spun by the shitty press as all about Biden.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:39 am Before Joe Manchin decided at the very last minute to not destroy Biden's presidency, Joe was in some danger of falling into a political death spiral
Fixed that for you. "He" was way to ambiguous there. :wink: :lol:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:42 am That math looks about right for the short-term. The worst part to me is that losing the House is pretty likely for a host of non-Biden reasons. However, it'll be spun by the shitty press as all about Biden.
Midterms are always considered a referendum on the party in power, and Dems will lose bigly if this one follows that script. No spinning necessary when the result is what was expected.

If Dems do beat expectations, of course, they have trump and SCOTUS to thank.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:58 am
Carpet_pissr wrote:That’s not to be sniffed at in our current political climate.
A somewhat poor choice of words in regards to Biden, but we'll let it slide. :lol:
LOL, took me a second to get that!

I was about to post "is he a sniffer? I hadn't noticed!"

Barely related: my father has a HUGE "sniff" tell...whenever he's upset (and trying to hold in some nasty comments, usually regarding politics), he starts sniffing - not violently, but close. As if someone is walking around with pepper right under his nose. I've learned to veer the conversation away from anything political adjacent in order to quell said sniffing...otherwise, it WILL result in some kind of outburst about how big of a crook Biden is or something along those lines. :lol:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:20 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:42 am That math looks about right for the short-term. The worst part to me is that losing the House is pretty likely for a host of non-Biden reasons. However, it'll be spun by the shitty press as all about Biden.
Midterms are always considered a referendum on the party in power, and Dems will lose bigly if this one follows that script. No spinning necessary when the result is what was expected.

If Dems do beat expectations, of course, they have trump and SCOTUS to thank.
I agree. It is the normal rhythm of our electorate in any case. What I was getting at is that we'll be treated to over the top articles about Biden well out of proportion to the reality of the democratic demolition/gamesmanship going on out there.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Uh oh....Dog the Bounty Picker Upper hates Biden

Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jeez. He looks like that lion chewed on his face. Or maybe he tanned a couple of feet from the sun.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just another fucking grifter. JAFG.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I can't imagine being at a conference listening to that guy rant and being like "yep, I've made good life choices and this is the guy that I should be listening to."
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:50 am I can't imagine being at a conference listening to that guy rant and being like "yep, I've made good life choices and this is the guy that I should be listening to."
That's the inherent problem. The right is populated with a *LOT* of morons or wannabe grifters.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

To the right, these seem like the reasonable people, and they're questioning how in the world anyone could vote for a party represented by "idiots" like Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, AOC, etc.

I know this because my father-in-law (who was a hardcore Republican) used to say it all the time.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote:To the right, these seem like the reasonable people, and they're questioning how in the world anyone could vote for a party represented by "idiots" like Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, AOC, etc.

I know this because my father-in-law (who was a hardcore Republican) used to say it all the time.
And yet, it's still the insidious hate being sold regarding fellow Americans. It's not the policies they've been taught to hate, but the people.

For the most part, that hate doesn't even allow thinking that maybe the policies can be good, or worked with, because the people are now boogeyman.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:46 am
Zarathud wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:33 am Biden has to keep Saudi in the fold against Iran and Russia. Avoiding a split if Israel acts or Russia seeks to break sanctions with Saudi help is important enough to act.

It’s cynical to think Biden is just in it for the photo op rather than working on substantive problems. Apparently from NPR interviews that Kashogi showed up unexpectedly and the fist bump was cursory, not friendly. But it’s easy fodder for a news cycle selling controversy over substance.
I edited and agree he was there for substantive issues. Still I honestly think you're missing or maybe more accurately underestimating the problem the press is highlighting which is that foreign diplomacy is full of all these gotcha moments. He has made several errors both in the moment and strategically that reflect poorly on his judgement and ability to project strength. Sure the press is looking for clicks but he doesn't have to deliver them on a platter. He projects weakness when he falls for these tricks.
Re-rise old post! Another thing that projects extreme weakness? This. Disgusting.

Brian

Post by Brian »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:01 am Jeez. He looks like that lion chewed on ...a leopard... ate his face.
You know, for consistency.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ugly though it is, isn't it a slam dunk that MBS has sovereign immunity in U.S. courts? It's deeply unpleasant, but the whole reason that the concept of sovereign immunity exists is that otherwise you would wind up with private litigants and random judges conducting a huge chunk of U.S. foreign policy.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:20 am Ugly though it is, isn't it a slam dunk that MBS has sovereign immunity in U.S. courts? It's deeply unpleasant, but the whole reason that the concept of sovereign immunity exists is that otherwise you would wind up with private litigants and random judges conducting a huge chunk of U.S. foreign policy.
Is it a slam dunk? He wasn't a head of state when he ordered it.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:36 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:20 am Ugly though it is, isn't it a slam dunk that MBS has sovereign immunity in U.S. courts? It's deeply unpleasant, but the whole reason that the concept of sovereign immunity exists is that otherwise you would wind up with private litigants and random judges conducting a huge chunk of U.S. foreign policy.
Is it a slam dunk? He wasn't a head of state when he ordered it.
Sovereign immunity doesn't just protect the head of state, it protects every instrument of a foreign government. So, for example, you can't sue foreign state oil companies for antitrust violations related to them setting prices with other state oil companies (e.g., OPEC), even though that would be a clear violation if they were private companies. I'm not 100% sure what MBS's exact role was at the time, but I think it'd b pretty hard to argue that the Crown Prince of a monarchy is not part of the government (and I think he has other official titles as well).

I suppose I shouldn't be too cursory here, as IIRC the act also needs to be an "act of state" (so, you could sue a foreign state company for failure to complete a contract in most circumstances). But I do think that the argument that MBS has sovereign immunity here is likely to be very strong.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The immunity being a slam dunk is beyond the point. Let the court do that. They made a show of requesting the immunity to DOJ. That's the point of the tweet. They could have remained silent. Instead they kowtowed to a murderer. And I am disgusted by it. If you are going to despicable things then it has to be worth it. In this case, MBS keeps thumbing his nose at us. And he keeps cozying up to the opposition of democracy in the United States - they just slung more money at the Trump organization days ago. I don't understand the math here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:56 am
The immunity being a slam dunk is beyond the point. Let the court do that. They made a show of requesting the immunity to DOJ. That's the point of the tweet. They could have remained silent. Instead they kowtowed to a murderer. And I am disgusted by it. If you are going to despicable things then it has to be worth it. In this case, MBS keeps thumbing his nose at us. And he keeps cozying up to the opposition of democracy in the United States - they just slung more money at the Trump organization days ago. I don't understand the math here.
This is what confuses me though. From the article:
Prince Mohammed’s lawyers argued that he enjoyed what is known as “sovereign immunity” as the head of government. The judge asked the United States government to respond, which it did in the letter sent on Thursday.
I know the article says that they could've declined, but I wish it would say a bit more about that, because in general the government tends to respond to judges.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:31 pm
Prince Mohammed’s lawyers argued that he enjoyed what is known as “sovereign immunity” as the head of government. The judge asked the United States government to respond, which it did in the letter sent on Thursday.
I know the article says that they could've declined, but I wish it would say a bit more about that, because in general the government tends to respond to judges.
From what I read the judge asked DOJ for a response. State chimed in on their own which is where I suspect that line comes from. DOJ could have also just responded with the facts instead of an opinion. Lots they could have done but the message being sent was clear. The Biden administration was placating the Saudis. The pattern I see is tough talk on accountability and consequences being followed up by meekness that maybe they thought would fly under the radar.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:38 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:31 pm
From what I read the judge asked DOJ for a response. State chimed in on their own which is where I suspect that line comes from. DOJ could have also just responded with the facts instead of an opinion. Lots they could have done but the message being sent was clear. The Biden administration was placating the Saudis. The pattern I see is tough talk on accountability and consequences being followed up by meekness that maybe they thought would fly under the radar.
Is it really true that the State Department chimed in without anyone asking them? This is just the kind of thing where I'm not 100% sure that the reporting is getting the context right.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:52 pmIs it really true that the State Department chimed in without anyone asking them? This is just the kind of thing where I'm not 100% sure that the reporting is getting the context right.
FWIW the reporting might be a little imprecise but let's say DOJ requested an opinion from State. State didn't need to provide it.