The Biden Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:25 pm
Zarathud wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:33 am the fist bump was cursory, not friendly.
:think: I’d like to see the difference mimed out for clarity. Thanks! :P

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

LOL
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:38 pm Here's the source, FWIW:

https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/gas-price-p ... -u-s-price

There are 7 stations currently listed in Illinois at or below $3.99 and all are reported by GasBuddy users. There is no way to verify prices. Even if they're all correct, that's less than 0.5%.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/illinois
Price war leads to cheapest gas in Colorado

Too bad it's over 20 miles from my house :D
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Didn’t even have to click the link. I drive though this intersection daily. They just put in a new mega gas station where there already were three stations, and this is a popular truck exit (to the chagrin of those of us who just drive under the freeway).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:38 am I do keep seeing people (online) talking about <$4 a gallon of gas and I'm confused at it's been frozen at ~$4.60 here in NJ for over a week. This map from the PotUS (dated 7/14) is weird.

Enlarge Image
It dropped $.40 a gallon overnight here for reasons I don't fathom. $4.49 was ubiquitous yesterday. Today $4.09 can be found without effort. No idea what the difference is from yesterday. I really should get out and... drive today, just fill up my tank. Saving a buck isn't really in my wheel house anymore but saving almost five bucks? I should probably make the effort.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 pm It dropped $.40 a gallon overnight here for reasons I don't fathom.
Thanks, Biden!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Those stupid "I did that!" stickers may be a double edged sword, which I find hilarious.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:08 pm Those stupid "I did that!" stickers may be a double edged sword, which I find hilarious.
Sure.....if it ever gets back down to the $2 mark.....which I will wager it never does under his watch.
It's got a loooong way to go before he gets any kudos for what everyone here says he has nothing to do with.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stimpy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:08 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:08 pm Those stupid "I did that!" stickers may be a double edged sword, which I find hilarious.
Sure.....if it ever gets back down to the $2 mark.....which I will wager it never does under his watch.
It's got a loooong way to go before he gets any kudos for what everyone here says he has nothing to do with.
He had nothing to do with pump prices, up or down. It's hilarious that both sides are trying to take victory laps over gas.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also, $2 / gal is back when the entire world was totally shut down. Unrealistic bar.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just confirming, he has nothing to do with it. If he doesn't claim credit, Malchior will say he's a poor leader.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:49 pmJust confirming, he has nothing to do with it. If he doesn't claim credit, Malchior will say he's a poor leader.
Thanks for speaking for me. Especially since you've got it completely wrong.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

He and the White House are already crowing about the gas prices dropping and taking credit for it.
Could someone from this board please reach out to them and tell them to stop.
It's laughable!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enlarge Image

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

stimpy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:57 pm He and the White House are already crowing about the gas prices dropping and taking credit for it.
Could someone from this board please reach out to them and tell them to stop.
Of course they are. They're desperate.

Edit: Also they hitched their wagon to the Saudi trip moving the needle. Maybe he'll roll a 'hard 6' but we shouldn't mistake that for good judgement.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not surprising at all given what I have interpreted as a lackadaisical attitude towards the virus. I honestly figured it was going to happen after the medal ceremony a few weeks ago. I feel confident he'll be fine with access to care and treatments.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Bring on the bleach!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Folks, I'm doing great. Thanks for your concern. Just called Senator Casey, Congressman Cartwright, and Mayor Cognetti (and my Scranton cousins!) to send my regrets for missing our event today.

Keeping busy!
I get that we need to be reassured that he's fine. But can we maybe not normalize working through illness?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He's got important things to do, writing on paper and such!

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:39 pm
Folks, I'm doing great. Thanks for your concern. Just called Senator Casey, Congressman Cartwright, and Mayor Cognetti (and my Scranton cousins!) to send my regrets for missing our event today.

Keeping busy!
I get that we need to be reassured that he's fine. But can we maybe not normalize working through illness?
I get that, but this sort of situation is a no-win for a politician. If they show him in bed, then they get a million "what a lazy jerk!" takes. Plus since he's old they have to be reassuring that he's not about to die.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pmI get that, but this sort of situation is a no-win for a politician. If they show him in bed, then they get a million "what a lazy jerk!" takes.
Lots of folks out there saying, "I couldn't take a day off for COVID!". Cause we're rugged and tough. :roll:
Plus since he's old they have to be reassuring that he's not about to die.
This is realistically the bigger issue they are working. He looks physically weak on a good day.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He just released a short video - that would have been fine. "Here I am, I have mild symptoms and I'm going to take it easy and let the medicine go to work. I'm vaccinated and boostered which should help to get me healthy again soon."

Then he puts on sunglasses, has some ice cream and turns on Netflix.

Instead, he has half of that and then talking about how he's back to work. Because just like every American, he has top-shelf health care and a staff of medical professionals on standby.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:01 pm He just released a short video - that would have been fine. "Here I am, I have mild symptoms and I'm going to take it easy and let the medicine go to work. I'm vaccinated and boostered which should help to get me healthy again soon."

Then he puts on sunglasses, has some ice cream and turns on Netflix.

Instead, he has half of that and then talking about how he's back to work. Because just like every American, he has top-shelf health care and a staff of medical professionals on standby.
Who wears sunglasses while watching Netflix?
Is that a symptom now?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:28 pm
Who wears sunglasses while watching Netflix?
Is that a symptom now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:28 pm Who wears sunglasses while watching Netflix?
You've never watched a J.J. Abrams movie?
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Or perhaps in his senility, he simply forgot that he had Covid. :twisted:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:18 pm It's hilarious that both sides are trying to take victory laps over gas.
Until you realize how much of our population will use that as their core voting issue.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:47 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:18 pm It's hilarious that both sides are trying to take victory laps over gas.
Until you realize how much of our population will use that as their core voting issue.
If you can't laugh, you'll cry.

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:47 pm
And regardless of what the price actually is come election time.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Looks like all the yelling I did yesterday made a difference. That's how I'm choosing to interpret this. :)

Yesterday, I signed the FORMULA Act into law – a bipartisan bill that will help increase access to baby formula for families across the country.
(the FORMULA Act is also great)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Too bad it's not the opening of a series of bills. :ninja:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Here's one to give Smoove_B another excuse to drink. The very serious people have decided that it's good how Biden is signaling how people can deal and work through multiple COVID infections a year as the new norm. Great for the elite who can isolate themselves, get the best treatment, and who capture all the rewards anyhow. But in the end this just adds more misery into a culture overloaded with misery.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, that was all the talk yesterday. Also, Leana Wen is an agent of chaos; she's been vaulted into popular media because she is saying exactly what the "back to normal" crowd wants you to hear. She's been a problem for a long time and it continues to astound me that no one (outside of public health circles, of course) questions her credentials and recommendations; she's not on our side and has no formal background in public health.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Zarathud wrote:This is why the Democrats fail. Disagreements turn into name calling turn into undermining because Biden isn’t pure.

They’re dealing with Iran’s nuclear capability and Israel saying they might go beyond sabotage if necessary. Before the trip they’re blaming Biden for not getting anything. We’ll, he’s not getting anything until he speaks to Saudi leaders. They’re not good people, but they’re what we’ve got to limit Iran and get onboard if Israel acts more overtly. And Biden has to show he’s doing something about gas prices. Instead it’s drowned out by this backbiting. WTF.
This.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Perhaps trotting him out all week to show how much work he was doing while sick and then proclaiming all is clear on day 5 wasn't such a great idea.

President Biden tests positive again.
Paxlovid rebound.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Washington Post
The Homeland Security watchdog now under scrutiny for his handling of deleted Secret Service text messages from the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol previously was accused of misleading federal investigators and running “afoul” of ethics regulations while he was in charge of a Justice Department inspector general field office in Tucson, according to a newly disclosed government report.

In the 2013 report from the Justice Department’s inspector general, which was never publicly released, investigators said they did “not believe” Joseph V. Cuffari’s explanation for why he failed to inform his supervisors — against federal rules — about his testimony in a lawsuit brought by a federal prisoner.

Separately, they found that Cuffari broke ethics rules by referring law firms to the prisoner’s family, including firms where some of his close friends worked. “We concluded Cuffari’s actions violated the [inspector general] manual’s prohibition on unethical conduct,” said the report, which also noted that he may have violated guidelines by using his government email to lobby for a position as inspector general for the Arizona National Guard, among other issues.

For a federal agent, failing to be truthful with investigators can lead to discipline, suspension and possible termination from federal service.

An internal team recommended referring Cuffari to the inspector general’s investigations unit for a deeper review of his actions, the report said — but he quickly retired and the following month joined the administration of then-Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) as a policy adviser for public safety.

When he was nominated five years later by President Donald Trump to become the Homeland Security watchdog, Cuffari told Senate lawmakers in a questionnaire that he had been fully truthful to investigators in their probe. Senators in both parties did not press him for details of the investigation before his confirmation by a voice vote in July 2019.

The new details in the report, which was obtained by The Washington Post, raise questions about how thoroughly Cuffari was vetted for one of the most important oversight jobs in government, experts said, and about his suitability to lead a staff of 750 auditors and investigators with oversight of an agency with a workforce of 240,000 and a $50 billion budget.
Why am I posting this in the Biden thread? There are legitimate questions about the competency, integrity, and frankly the loyalty of this IG. Biden's official response? Support for his independence. It isn't hard to argue that Biden again is turning a blind eye to the corruption destroying American's confidence in this system.

Further for me while the man has been a constant disappointment, a man I believe has terrible judgement, and the wrong man for the moment, at least I thought he had integrity. Now I have to question that. The statement could have stopped at no plans now but to express confidence in him? Utterly baffling. Until you note the pattern. DeJoy? Still in his seat. Multiple Trump embeds put in after the election? Still in the government. It's like the US government has cancer and the chief doctor has decided if he ignores it, it might get better.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We should take a moment to congratulate Joe Biden for having a pretty good half-season ender. The CHIPS bill and the Inflation Reduction Act passed. Gas prices have been drifting steadily down for a couple of months now, and some tea leaves say that inflation might have peaked, or at least stopped accelerating. The job market is historically optimum and workers are empowered, with new unions forming and rising wages. Stocks are climbing out of the pit. My savings are starting to earn interest again. The Russians seem to be bogging down in the east while Ukraine is getting feisty in the south. NATO is expanding. Pelosi kicking the hornet's nest in Taiwan is drawing bilateral cheers, because Suck It, China!

Of course, most people still think Joe Biden sucks because that's what most people think now. But the man accomplished a lot in less than two years against strong headwinds.

Which got me to wondering: What are the administration's writers working on for the second half of the first season?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A Hail Mary win in the midterms.
It's almost as if people are the problem.