Solasta: Crown of the Magister (D&D SRD 5.1 CRPG)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

The Meal

Re: Solasta: Crown of the Magister (D&D SRD 5.1 CRPG)

Post by The Meal »

This is really fun, but the camera can lead to frustration. Up to the player to decide whether or not it's a fatal flaw.

This releases at 12 EDT today, but I'm not sure if that's for everyone or just early backers. I'm looking forward to starting over with what I've learned from my first playthrough.

Note, while there are fun roleplaying elements, the major fun here is combat tactics. Overall, I think folks looking to see what role their characters play would ultimately be disappointed by that aspect of things. Folks who enjoy the "TOEE" turn-based combat aspects mimicking the tabletop combat simulations are going to be in their glory.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The Meal wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:02 am Note, while there are fun roleplaying elements, the major fun here is combat tactics.
Watched a couple reviews last night, and have put it on my "wait for sale" list rather than an insta-buy for exactly this reason.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The Meal wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:02 am This is really fun, but the camera can lead to frustration. Up to the player to decide whether or not it's a fatal flaw.

This releases at 12 EDT today, but I'm not sure if that's for everyone or just early backers. I'm looking forward to starting over with what I've learned from my first playthrough.

Note, while there are fun roleplaying elements, the major fun here is combat tactics. Overall, I think folks looking to see what role their characters play would ultimately be disappointed by that aspect of things. Folks who enjoy the "TOEE" turn-based combat aspects mimicking the tabletop combat simulations are going to be in their glory.
Love combat tactics. Looking forward to playing it on Game Pass.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Finished the game. Really enjoyed it but it did get a bit too easy by the end. I hit max level/10 about 3/4 through playing all the sidequests. It kind of took the wind out of my desire to improve my characters so I just main quested until the end. Don't abuse your character stats at creation like i because then it becomes way too easy. I would have used the point buy system if I did it again. The only thing i tweaked in the setings was no inventory weight because I just dont like it as a mechanic. There is a common stash if you don't want to mess with the weight system.

Pay attention to light as a resource. There are tons of lighting options and a few fights make having light access mandatory. Although you can also use the environment when necessary. Also have a mage with a teleport eventually can be useful for hard to reach spaces. I also bought a pair of spider slippers from a Faction vendor which was hysterical when my characters were wall running like the Matrix.

Edit: I'll just leave this here:
Solasta: Crown of the Magister review – DnD with a dash of XCOM
Solasta: Crown of the Magister stands stoically at the cross section of several game worlds. From a distance, the isometric RPG dungeon diving evokes old Infinity Engine games like Baldur’s Gate. Combat scenarios play out like an XCOM skirmish with a few more bells and whistles. Character moments and conversations remind me of Dungeons and Dragons, complete with stat checks and dice rolls. And yet, perhaps surprisingly, Solasta feels more like a tactical RPG than a DnD alternative, but is a delightful package nonetheless.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I haven't quite finished, but I found it comical in the endgame where your party members, who started as lowly adventurers, suddenly start spouting knowledge of powerful faction rivalries like courtiers. Show don't tell!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Downloaded the upgraded to 1.0 and trying a new game/party.

It's an all dwarven Cleric, Paladin, Rogue, Wizard.

I did keep one save from my pre-release, traditional party but decided to try a new party first.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Should I go with the authentic difficulty setting? Or bump it up? I know some are complaining about an easy late game.
Covfefe!
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Honestly? I'd go Authentic as the first few "real" battles will test your understanding of the ruleset.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent, thanks!
Covfefe!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

At nearly 18 gigs and as slow as my internet (only on my computer for some reason) I may have to wait to go on vacation before downloading it.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:05 pm Should I go with the authentic difficulty setting? Or bump it up? I know some are complaining about an easy late game.
I made it through the whole game on authentic. My party seemed optimal with:
Fighter
Ranger
Thief
Wizard
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m going rogue, Wizard, cleric and fighter.
Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:05 pm Should I go with the authentic difficulty setting? Or bump it up? I know some are complaining about an easy late game.
You can change everything on the fly. Early game presents the best challenge.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh nice, thanks to you too! :D
Covfefe!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jag wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 pm Solasta is coming to Gamepass PC on 5/27. That's amazing. No reason to sleep on this now.
That did not happen as far as I can tell. It's not even in the store.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Lorini wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:02 pm
Jag wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 pm Solasta is coming to Gamepass PC on 5/27. That's amazing. No reason to sleep on this now.
That did not happen as far as I can tell. It's not even in the store.
Gamepass PC? I'm showing it as available.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm an idiot, I only have console game pass. Sorry!
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:07 pm At nearly 18 gigs and as slow as my internet (only on my computer for some reason) I may have to wait to go on vacation before downloading it.
Can't you start downloading and let it run overnight?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shame its tactical combat instead of real time with pause like the old Infinity Engine games. No buy from me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

The Meal wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:02 am This is really fun, but the camera can lead to frustration. Up to the player to decide whether or not it's a fatal flaw.
I remapped the camera rotate to 'Q' & 'E' to go along with my WASD movement. Have the same setup with BG3. Still off-putting, though, to zero in on a specific spot or enemy especially when they are on a different level.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:42 pm
Lorini wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:07 pm At nearly 18 gigs and as slow as my internet (only on my computer for some reason) I may have to wait to go on vacation before downloading it.
Can't you start downloading and let it run overnight?
Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Super busy weekend but I will get to it.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jolor wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:09 pm
I remapped the camera rotate to 'Q' & 'E' to go along with my WASD movement. Have the same setup with BG3. Still off-putting, though, to zero in on a specific spot or enemy especially when they are on a different level.
:lol: You did not need to remap those keys. They're already rotate. My issue is with the zooming and especially when stuff's going on in the z-plane.

My pre-party was Palidin (Human), Wizard (High Elf), Cleric (Snow Dwarf), Rogue (Swamp Halfling). The party I rolled this morning and got through the tutorial is Paladin (High Elf), Wizard (High Elf), Cleric (Half Elf), Ranger (Sylvan Elf). No more worrying about light sources for this gamer.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

For my second run through I went with:

Ranger (Sylvan Elf)
Paladin (Hill Dwarf)
Wizard (Human)
Fighter (Island Hafling)

Wizard is a must. Ranger can handle locks and light healing. Pally also light healing. I want a fighter for the two-handers.

The question will be:
Spoiler:
Who gets the crown?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:07 pm Shame its tactical combat instead of real time with pause like the old Infinity Engine games. No buy from me.
I much prefer the xcom style tactical combat in this and the Divinity series. It’s just annoying to me to have to hit a pause button every 3 milliseconds to change my orders around because some monster went right instead of left or something. I rarely finish crpg’s with real time combat.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just started this today since it came out on GamePass. I had never even heard of it.

Anyways, even though the character models are a bit dodgy, having a good time with it. I don't mind if it's easy - it's tough enough for me to finish an RPG as it is, so I'm good with simple. Went with a classic Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard setup.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Paladins get Smite, which is an amazing finishing move. Who knew?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

hepcat wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:47 pm I much prefer the xcom style tactical combat in this and the Divinity series. It’s just annoying to me to have to hit a pause button every 3 milliseconds to change my orders around because some monster went right instead of left or something. I rarely finish crpg’s with real time combat.
RTwP is fine when the game is tuned for a first count of spells and then a melee of basic weapon attacks with perhaps an occasional pause to drink a potion or move a character to face a new threat. If the combat is going to take constant thought I with you in wanting with more control.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think I'm going to start over with a team of all Halfling rogues. I'll call them Steal Team 3.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:39 pm I think I'm going to start over with a team of all Halfling rogues. I'll call them Steal Team 3.
:clap:

:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Maybe it's the simple things like the visible die rolls, but this game has hit me harder with D&D feels than any RPG in recent memory. I've barely scratched the surface of the game, and I've already grown very attached to my party. Particularly my grey-haired, ex-spy halfling rogue, Gibney Butterburr.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I’m really enjoying it as well. The only two things I’m not fond of are the way they handle height differences in the game, and the lack of any real variety in weapons/armor. That latter one though is more a D&D thing.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:58 pm Yeah, I’m really enjoying it as well. The only two things I’m not fond of are the way they handle height differences in the game, and the lack of any real variety in weapons/armor. That latter one though is more a D&D thing.
Yeah like how "magnificent" armor has a better look but the same stats as regular.

I have found on the replay I am getting very different side quests. Not sure if is different races and backgrounds or randomization. Either way makes a case for replayability.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jaymann wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:51 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:58 pm Yeah, I’m really enjoying it as well. The only two things I’m not fond of are the way they handle height differences in the game, and the lack of any real variety in weapons/armor. That latter one though is more a D&D thing.
Yeah like how "magnificent" armor has a better look but the same stats as regular.
You know that you should be using the Detect Magic ritual? This will show everything in your entire inventory that has magic properties. They will have a mini ? on them after detection. You then need to do a second ritual of Identify for each item. I'm pretty sure the Magnificent Armor is a magic item. The only other indication something is magical is it may have a name that is different from the regular.

You can also do this at merchants, but it's pricey and gold isn't that plentiful once you start buying from Faction vendors.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

First patch is out.

Magnificent items are
Spoiler:
+1 magic items.
Patch notes:
Spoiler:
Known Issues (that we're working on)
Do not equip the Orc Javelin, Orc Shortbow or Ogre Javelin - saving while having one of these item equipped will corrupt the save, preventing you from loading it later. These corrupted saves will be fixed in a future patch.
Beards are not always properly affixed to the characters' face
If you're playing from an Early Access save, Bring the Sword back to Merton has a bugged cutscene that prevents you from completing it
Some people have a black screen / weird clouds when starting a new campaign. Workaround here
The Landing Plaza in Caer Cyflen has some new decoration that it shouldn't have

Major Fixes
Fixed a "white dice" appearing when attacking multiple times too quickly
Dungeon Maker: You can now add a Thumbnail to your Custom Dungeon when uploading them by having a .png or .jpg file with the same name than that of your dungeon in the custom dungeon folder.
Fixed AI sometimes using a bonus action to do an additional main action attack instead. AI be cheating. DM does not approve.
Fixed an issue with the Arena Quest where the door could get stuck, blocking quest progression
Fixed magic items crafted or bought from vendors sometimes not being identified. Mystery potion! Gotta love them!
Crafting Tooltip now displays the crafted item tooltip even if missing the ingredients
Fixed some issues with Chinese Localization
Fixed some long duration AoE spells not being visible when cast directly on a character
All in-game backer items are now identified by default
Fixed 6 League Boots incorrectly doubling your movement speed instead of giving you an additional cell of movement
Fixed Dwarven Bread not being equippable. Get that +1 CON Bonus!
Fixed Early Bird not working properly. It showed the initiative bonus but it didn't give any. What a scam
Fixed Cog of Cohh not properly giving +2 CHA
Re-added a missing cutscene in Halman's House
Counterspell can now correctly fail when targeting spells above level 3
Fixed Acid Arrow "acidified" condition sometimes being removed too early
Added Arrow parts to Gorim's Store
Fixed a HUGE missing component of the end game fight. Really huge. Like, physically huge.

Minor Fixes
Fixed female halfling animations going banana and clipping all over the place
Fixed Flying Snakes and Fire Osprey moving multiple times after attacking for no particular reason
Fixed Ray of Enfeeblement projectile moving super slowly
Fixed Strike of Oblivion color to match Necrotic damage
Fixed missing VFX & Light on Sacred Weapon
Added a Dodge animation to Eagle Matriarchs
Changed Crossbow Bolt icons to avoid mistaking them with Arrows
Added an Idle animation in combat to Ghasts
Fixed a certain Schrödinger boss incorrectly being displayed as both dead and alive after loading a save
Fixed a lighting issue on the Character Portrait & Inventory
Fixed an error that could trigger at the end of the Lowlife Background QUest
Tome of All Things is now a Quest Item
Added a missing quest marker to a certain mansion
Fixed attack animation while flying
Fixed Pheromone duration being incorrectly calculated after loading a save
Fixed a tooltip issue when hovering above the Armor Class value
Updated Maul icon
Fixed characters shadows sometimes missing in some cutscenes
Fixed an error that would trigger in Caer Lem if no one can read Ancient Tirmarian (should have paid attention in class)
Fixed some lipsync issues
Fixed some doors not being placed in their correct spot
Fixed a certain backer document not displaying the proper content
Fixed some pathfinding issue in a certain quest late game
Monsters in one specific fight are now immune to lightning. Because teamkilling half of your minions isn't a particular wise move
Fixed one haircut magically hovering above the character's head
Fixed missing quest marker not appearing in the Spy Background Quest
Added missing waypoints to Gallivan & New Empire Embassies
Cleaned up some spell tooltips that displayed unnecessary / wrong information
Revivy & Raise Dead tooltip no longer show "Unknown Effect". We all know what it does. Unknown my butt
Fixed Skybox missing in Monastery
Half Plate +1 now correctly has Stealth Disadvantage
Fixed Mage Armor not being castable more than once
Traps no longer trigger when the attempt to disarm them fail in the Dungeon Maker
Fixed Armor of Survival tooltip not appearing
Fixed an issue where buying back scrolls from merchants could cause a crash
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jag wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:02 am
You know that you should be using the Detect Magic ritual? This will show everything in your entire inventory that has magic properties. They will have a mini ? on them after detection. You then need to do a second ritual of Identify for each item. I'm pretty sure the Magnificent Armor is a magic item. The only other indication something is magical is it may have a name that is different from the regular.

You can also do this at merchants, but it's pricey and gold isn't that plentiful once you start buying from Faction vendors.
That is very helpful. I wonder if you benefit from the stats before you do this.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

There is one side quest that I don't like.
Spoiler:
You search for a magical sword and turn it in for 200 gold. The problem is it is better than anything I have, and there is no option to say: I'm going to keep it. So now I have to avoid the turn-in NPC for the foreseeable future.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jag wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:02 am
:shock:

Well crap, i just sold a set of magnificent armor as i thought it wasn't worth anything beyond gold. Thanks for the heads up!

I really hope this becomes a franchise with more campaigns. When I look forward to the combat in a game, you know it's a winner for me.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's only a matter of time before it ends up being published for the tabletop.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Where I won't play it. I want this to be a CRPG franchise first and foremost.
Covfefe!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:29 am Where I won't play it. I want this to be a CRPG franchise first and foremost.
Same.
Black Lives Matter