Genshin Impact - F2P multi-platform co-op 3rd person action RPG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Genshin Impact - F2P multi-platform co-op 3rd person action RPG

Post by coopasonic »

That's how I've seen it described anyway. PC, PS4, Android and iOS with Switch coming (soon?)

Linking to wikipedia because their website crushed chrome (something about hardware acceleration).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genshin_Impact

It has gacha stuff (random loot and rewards and microtransactions) and Breath of the Wild style gameplay, minus weapons wearing out, I think. I've only played a couple of hours so far but I've liked what I've seen.

At this point I am not sure what else to say about it really. It has the BotW glider and climbing with stamina and mini puzzles and a big open world with lots of stuff to find (and fast, convenient fast travel). I'm basically at the end of the tutorial now and there are quite a few systems to keep things complicated. You can switch characters on the fly, having up to 4 in your "party" but only 1 is active. Your characters. have levels, your weapons have levels, your account has a level, the world has a level. There are a lot of levels. Account level is Adventure Rank which is advanced by completing quest and exploring and solving puzzles and unlocking stuff. The story is gated by adventure rank (as is co-op).

Graphics are very JRPG with a bit of fan service thrown in as required. (I've seen it referred to as Breath of the Waifu somewhere)

I needed something to bridge the gap to Watch Dogs Legion and so far this seems to fit the bill.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Re: Genshin Impact - F2P multi-platform co-op 3rd person action RPG

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So I have been playing this for the better part of a week and having a pretty good time with it. Currently only 2 of the 7 regions have been released and I am near the end of the second region. I've explored all of it but need to level up a bit more to unlock the rest of the story for the second region. I also now understand everything that Penny Arcade comic references without having to think about it. Wishes are what you buy to get a chance at the good stuff. Fates are what you spend to get wishes (there are two kinds, one for wishes that rotate and the other for standard wishes. Primogems are the what you general earn and spend to buy Fates. You get a few for basically everything you do in the game and they add up pretty reasonably. There are also starglitter currencies that can be used to buy materials or fates that you get generally from wishes I think. See, super simple!

I've not spent any money but I've thought about it just based on the enjoyment I have gotten out of the game so far. You could spend an obnoxious amount of money on this game if you really wanted to and the temptation is certainly there but so far it hasn't really seemed necessary. The game gives you the characters you need. They aren't the best characters but you wouldn't really know it unless you had the best characters to compare.

I won't post anything else unless folks show an interest. I think it's pretty fun for a free to play/gacha game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I meant to post about this myself. I adore the game so far and you 100 percent can enjoy it without spending money. The combat is super fun. There's tons of stuff to do and the world looks amazing. It's free so no reason to not give it a try. I mean one of my characters has a bear she tosses out that eats a hot pepper and shoots out fire. :)

I highly recommend playing keyboard and mouse. The gamepad controls on the computer are garbage and can't be remapped. Keyboard and mouse works fantastic.

And while it certainly steals stuff from Zelda it's got it's own style in a major way. And no weapon breaking.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had to look up gacha. So it is sorta GoTyUo :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I keep seeing people sing this one's praises, so I gave it a shot over the weekend. Felt like a bit of a mess, with a ton of completely unexplained systems, traits, currencies, etc. I mostly just felt super-annoyed after just the first hour (the chirpy sidekick character didn't help much). Maybe I need to give it another look when I'm in a better mood.

Then again, I didn't like Zela BotW much either, so this might just not be one for me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:38 am Then again, I didn't like Zela BotW much either, so this might just not be one for me.
I never got into Zelda either despite a couple of attempts.

This one really isn't that complicated once you get it and yeah it's different so maybe it takes a bit longer to get it. Also, yes Paimon is kind of annoying, but also kind of funny.

If you have questions about specifics I can probably answer them for you.

First thing: if you don't enjoy the combat (and give it a few hours to unlock some of the diff character types, they give you a melee, archer and mage early in the progression so you can see how they work) and the exploration then you won't enjoy the game.

The biggest thing is that you characters don't really level up the way you are used to. You have to spend level up materials to get any decent progression. You also need to level up your weapons, preferably after getting your hands on at least a 3 star weapon. Leveling up weapons can be done with both materials and extra weapons and you get a LOT of them. Leveling up your characters and weapons is gated by your adventure rank. That is what goes up in a more typical manner, just exploring, doing quests, opening chests, completing challenges. Other than weapons (of which each character is locked into one specific type) you don't have typical equipment. You have 5 artifact slots. Artifact stats are semi-random. Early on you just want lots of attack. Again you level these up by using materials and other artifacts. You gets lots of lots of 1, 2 and late 3 star artifacts and weapons that are basically useless. Use these to level up the ones you want to use. Also artifacts have 2 and 4 piece set bonuses. Again probably best to go. for attack/crit type bonuses early on.

There are more mechanics that open up over time. At AR12 you get daily quests (commissions). At AR16 you get co-op, which is really only useful for dungeons. You can use extra copies of the same weapon to refine a weapon which improves it's special effect. When you get extra copies fo the same character (via wishes) you get constellation points. which are generally pretty nice upgrades to the character, but there isn't really a choice, just a fixed path. At AR26-ish you unlock talents where you do have a choice on which to advance.

Lots of info there and I have even covered ascensions... My fingers are getting tired, but when you hit certain levels on characters and weapons you need to ascend them to unlock more levels, which require specific materials. The good news is that you can click on the material and the game tells you where to get them. Of course some of them are only available specific days of the week and for the most part getting them takes resin. Oh and you only get so much resin per day, though some quest rewards will give you an item you can use to gain more resin.

Oh right, you also get the ability to send character on expeditions. Basically you send extra characters (that you will have if you have bought wishes or earned some of the freebies) away for 4/8/12/20 hours to get some materials for you.

OK, that's all that comes to mind right now. I mean there is also the adventurers handbook which gives you more goals to earn AR and other loot. Also the battle pass which gives you other stuff. Oh yeah and achievements which give you primogems and unlock title cards.

OK, yeah after typing all of that, it's kind of complicated, but given that I just typed all that off the top of my head, it is totally possible to wrap your head around it in a reasonable amount of time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Helpful, thanks. I'm going to re-download it and try again.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Put in a few hours tonight, and you’re right. It’s a pretty fun game. Fantastic production values, great music, interesting characters, and fun combat.

Shame it’s a gacha game though, as those always wear thin with me pretty quick. Still, I’m sure it’ll be fun to mess around with for a bit.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Well, since it's F2P, I downloaded with the intent to play it. After not even being able to even get into the game, despite multiple attempts, and some low-level googling/troubleshooting,I'm out. Grrrrrrr.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I never had any trouble after the very first day when things were painfully slow. You can try it on your phone if you just want to see it. It will murder your battery though.

edit: Since I am here, I think I am getting close to "done" with the game. I hit adventure rank 30 and have explored pretty much everything the world has to offer. I have 10 characters and a pretty good starting line up, but to ascend my characters is going to take days due to the limits on resin and certain stuff only being available on certain days. I didn't plan far enough ahead I guess, though some of the stuff wouldn't have shown up before because I needed to increase the world rank. I'll keep at it a bit just to stay ahead of my son. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

very fun gameplay absolutely ruined by some of the most aggressive mobile game design I've seen. :(
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mobile game design in what way? You mean all the crafting nonsense? It's a bit much but I got over it pretty quick. I would gladly pay 60 bucks for a full normal game if this that's for sure.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Let down by the fact you cannot invert the mouse on keyboard. Am playing with a Pad but prefer KB all the way
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:39 pm Since I am here, I think I am getting close to "done" with the game. I hit adventure rank 30 and have explored pretty much everything the world has to offer. I have 10 characters and a pretty good starting line up, but to ascend my characters is going to take days due to the limits on resin and certain stuff only being available on certain days. I didn't plan far enough ahead I guess, though some of the stuff wouldn't have shown up before because I needed to increase the world rank. I'll keep at it a bit just to stay ahead of my son. :D
Just to pile on, the materials to ascend are annoying but not really that bad. Leveling 4 characters from 50-60 is going to be even worse from both the material requirements and Mora (in game currency). Yeah, I did waste some of both on leveling characters I didn't really need to level earlier on, but this is just punishing. I think I'm done.

I had a lot of fun with it for a little over a week and I didn't spend a dime so I can't complain too much.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I've been having some mild fun with it. My one major gripe is that they have the usual functions of the A & B buttons reversed on my xBox controller (with no way to remap them) and it is driving me insane.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:23 am I would gladly pay 60 bucks for a full normal game if this that's for sure.
I made that same comment to my daughter. That's easily a $60 purchase for a self-contained game.

But since I know that the structure of the game will be a neverending treadmill of increasingly rare gacha pulls and "grind for 150 hours...or pay $20 to skip it" mechanics, I'm just going to skip it entirely.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:23 am Mobile game design in what way? You mean all the crafting nonsense? It's a bit much but I got over it pretty quick. I would gladly pay 60 bucks for a full normal game if this that's for sure.
In just about every way, from the Gacha system that ensures I will likely never have many of the characters and definitely never have them fully powered up (since it takes multiples of characters that have a .06% chance per loot box and you are severely limited in free pulls), to the daily gating of how much you can actually do once you hit the current adventure cap. Once you get through the initial burst of free spins and stuff to do, you end up getting just a few pulls a month and very few resources you can even grind in a day which means without paying you can't even do the dungeons to get the stuff to level your characters.

There's more but I don't really want to just start whining, so I'll leave it at what I said before. Gameplay is very fun, but it's all ruined once you actually look behind the curtain and see how it's held back. Sure plenty of people may never see that aspect, but tons already have and others just get roped by the gacha then use sunken cost fallacy to keep justifying.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Started playing this today and I'm having a good time. I don't really care if I don't unlock the most powerful characters or power them up all the way - as long as I can play the game with the free stuff I'm happy.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The free to play ride kind of comes crashing down around AR30. That will likely take you a couple dozen hours though. You can keep playing it just becomes an increasing grind.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I think I ran into one too many "glide through the hoops" quests. I gave up and went back to WoW. :oops:
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Anybody is still playing this game? More than one year later, there are more contents now. I like about this game is while the gacha odd is low, the pity system is nice. You get one 4 stars character per 10 tries and one 5 stars per 90 tries that even a F2P player can get a lot of characters to play with. While the "endgame" grinding problem is still a problem, with more contents and updates, you'll get to play more before reaching that point. Also with monthly update, you can just take a break when you reach the endgame then play again when a new update is released.

One thing I like most about this game is the music. Each region has their own style with the newest major region Inazuma that is based on Japanese instruments and music style. The composer is a genius.

Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My youngest daughter is playing a lot and has ground through it all.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was really interested in giving this another look, until I found out it does one of my absolute least favorite things: not allowing you to restart or create another character.

The game locks you into playing a single character, tied to your PS4 ID, I get why they do this, so you don’t just keep re-rolling toons until you get the gacha pull you want. Problem is, f you step away for a while and forget how things work, you’re pretty much screwed because you can’t go through any of the tutorial or introductory missions again. You’re left trying to piece together how all the gameplay systems work on your own. Even better, because it’s an active game that is always changing, many of the systems will have changed since the last time you logged in 6 months ago.

I downloaded it and ran around for a couple hours trying to remember WTF I was doing, and simply ended up giving up in frustration. If I would have been able to restart from scratch, I’m pretty sure I would have enjoyed it, based on the improvements that I’ve seen them make.

My hope is that it comes to the Switch eventually so I can give it a fresh start there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's also the PC version on Epic.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Victoria Raverna

And with the PC version, you can just create a new account to start from beginning. Just need a different e-mail address to do it. You can also change the e-mail address to a new one then start a new game with the old e-mail address.
Victoria Raverna

This is impressive:

Most people play Genshin Impact by out damage or out survive the bosses while taking damage instead of dodging and blocking all damage but that player managed to win without getting damage at all.
Victoria Raverna

This is interesting to me about how the come up with the "ruin guardians" design.