Whatcha smokin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Whatcha smokin'?

Post by Daehawk »

Wish I could join this club. Stupid TN laws.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It certainly helps with my mental health... until I stop. Then everything floods back, possibly worse for neurobiological reasons. If only cannabis's benefits could be integrated with the productive, focused parts of being sober.

But it's definitely rubbish that it's still illegal in so many places, at least for recreational use. This isn't anywhere near as potentially destructive as alcohol. There are just generations of misinformation and shaming to cut through, often racially motivated.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep and its mostly older folks that sit in charge of these things.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:06 pm Wish I could join this club. Stupid TN laws.
Time for a trip to IL or VA.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Sudy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:19 pm
So here's a question... I've had intermittent mild-to-moderate nausea the past couple weeks, and it seems to be getting worse. (And I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant.) Do you think cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome is a thing? From what I'm reading it's very rare in those who have used less than a year, and is a relatively new condition that may be related to the maximization of cannabinoids in modern breeding. I am partaking most days, but not a lot, and not at a much greater volume than I have been for the past couple of months. But again, the condition seems to be cumulative.

I'm going to be pissed if my body dislikes cannabis in the same way it doesn't care for alcohol. I'm running out of classic vices to cultivate.
Interesting article just today regarding nausea on the upswing.

Also, I have not used any in like 40 years, but we would just take the pot and put it in a pipe (or roll it if with a group of friends) and light it.

What is with the grinding/grinders lately?
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grinding really fluffs up the weed and creates homogenized pieces. Really not necessary for one-hit pipes and bongs, but good for party bowls. And joints, obviously. Another benefit of grinders is they usually have a screen that allows you to accumulate and collect kief which you can then do with as you wish.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:59 pm
Drazzil wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:10 pm THC cartridges are just that. Even the good cartridges (Buddies, Oregrown etc) are mostly THC with a few terpines thrown in after the fact. In fact the chemical process that turns weed to concentrate actually removes all of the other chemicals that make weed fun. Its mostly THC.

Cartridges are good for getting stupid Stupid STUPID high but little else. Its lost most of what makes weed, weed. You wont get hungry or happy or feel most of the spectrum of how weed is supposed to feel. Cartridges are also good for building your tolerance extremely quickly. Your one cartridge a week will change to 3 or 5 quickly as your body will quickly acclimate to the drug.

I cant speak much to vaporizers. I had a volcano but quickly found I much preferred my water bong.

YMMV.
Thanks Drazzil, I think I'm the only new user around here and I welcome your input. The others have already set me straight on most of this. I like vaping cartridges, but I only use live resin ones. I've heard pretty good things about some so-called full spectrum ones as well.

Personally, I found the live resin cart to have a lot of nuance, but I still find smoking to provide more. The main benefit of carts for me is that they can be used discreetly and within the home. I haven't gotten to the point where I've overused them, but that's just me. Maybe I would have by now if I didn't have access to dry flower/joints.
:D Do you. I'm sober over a year so I don't have much more to contribute. Have fun and don't overdo it. Like many things its a slippery slope. Your returns vs time spent is declining b/c of tolerance. IE: You won't have twice as much fun for smoking twice the weed.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If vices had no downsides they'd be virtues. 8-)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Mass. cannabis company creates the world's largest pot brownie.
The gigantic brownie measures 3 feet wide by 3 feet long and 15 inches tall, weighs a whopping 850 pounds, and contains 20,000 mg of THC, according to MariMed’s craft confectioners.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I haven't gone back and tried edibles again, but I'd like to.

For a couple months I smoked or vaped daily. Now I do it once to several times per week depending on what else I'm focusing on in life. Still using my rolling machine and getting multiple solo sessions out of joints because I'm a creature of habit. Looking to move back into carts for the winter though since the balcony is damn cold.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Edibles have never rung my chimes. I'd have to eat that whole thing.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

To my surprise and delight, the TSA website says it's OK to bring medical marijuana on a plane, both carry-on and checked. Searching for illegal substances is not part of their job. If they do find federal contraband in the course of a security search, they'll refer it to local authorities. Since I'm flying from one legal state to another, that means boo. Wife has a medical card, so that angle's covered.

Burying my pipe and a little bit of weed in my checked bag will be a nice convenience. I had been planning to buy a pipe and some flower when I get there, and then leave it with my nephew when I go home.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:41 pm Mass. cannabis company creates the world's largest pot brownie.
The gigantic brownie measures 3 feet wide by 3 feet long and 15 inches tall, weighs a whopping 850 pounds, and contains 20,000 mg of THC, according to MariMed’s craft confectioners.
3 " x 3" ... honestly sounds pretty damn tame.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Eating pot brownies seems a catch 22. Eat get munchies eat more get more munchies repeat circle.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

3' x 3' may not be that huge, but... I'm sure it would be enough.

I don't know how all the rules work down there, but I'm surprised a medical license would count for anything in a different state?

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:41 am 3' x 3' may not be that huge, but... I'm sure it would be enough.

I don't know how all the rules work down there, but I'm surprised a medical license would count for anything in a different state?
Recreational weed is also legal in both states, so the "medicinal" part is a fig leaf for the TSA (federal). In the unlikely event that the TSA alerts local authorities to the few grams in my checked bag, their reaction will be :roll: It's probably more hassle for them than for me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trying to find out if a company's Delta 8 product is indica or sativa is like finding hens teeth in a elephant. The last ones I got just made me damn tired and heavy feeling. I could barely sit at the PC .Had to lay down a bunch. But they did not help me sleep.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With 420 sales up and going strong Ive discovered a new product..HHC. Never heard of it. Supposed to be strong than Delta 8. I cant afford to spend $20 on a big amount and find it does nothing or does something I dont like so I grabbed a few sample packs of HHC and Delta 8. I took one HHC 25mg gummy just now . I had a half a bowl of soup 2 hours ago and Im drinking a lot of cola as its hot today. So not sure how that will affect it. I think I already feel something. Shall see. May be a nice new product...or could be crap.

Anyone else try HHC?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Happy 420. I didn't have free change to get anything but heres something to help celebrate the day.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So it's been about a year of fairly steady cannabis use for me. I continue to use relatively little; most nights I go out on the balcony one time for 4-5 draws from a joint. This gives me a heavy buzz but without many of the wackier symptoms I associate with a higher dose. Mainly I use it to disconnect with my life after hours, which is probably a marker of unhealthy usage. Though one could say those would often be wasted/restorative hours regardless. And it also enhances social and creative impulses, which is something I really need right now despite the benefits of these experiences not generally transferring over to the sober mind. I would say I do not find it addictive; I'm pulled to it because I enjoy its effects, but going without doesn't usually bother me.

- The munchies are 100% real and dangerous to my waistband. I feel I could easily eat twice as much as normal while high. I still get full, but I just hunger for more... for anything.

- There's still a lot of things I haven't done that I'd like to e.g.: Visit a b&m store, smoke socially, or try other consumption methods.

- I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between different consumption methods and some preparation methods and brands. I don't know if I can tell the difference between strains, though. The experience is extremely subjective to my mood, surroundings, and dose, and it's difficult to accurately measure intake given my method. I "feel" like I have a preference for the supposedly energy-giving traits of sativas.

- I've mostly been smoking pre-rolls for the sake of convenience. I understand the vast benefit to rolling one's own though. I supplement with oil carts, more when it's cold outside.

- The amount required to get me from heavy, enjoyable buzz to "I'm seeing 50s-style stage productions when I close my eyes" is still a fine line. If I smoke too much I get overwhelmed and overstimulated and have to sleep it off. If I get to the perfect zone however, it's fantastic. Everything becomes intensely interesting and if there's no music playing, my brain will create it from memory or from ambient sounds. Life literally gains a soundtrack. I dislike going out or performing complex actions while under the influence as it makes me impatient and anxiety-prone... I can't imagine being high at work or a family get-together.

- Music really is better, and movies/tv are... interesting. They're easier to get lost in, but harder to follow. Short term memory can be considerably impacted, but you can usually find what you're looking for by thinking relationally. This creates the problem of missing the current scene because you're too focused trying to remember the one before. There are definitely formats and shows that are better suited to the experience, however. I recommend favourites you already know by heart.

- I become somewhat impulsive with my actions... this can become a serious impediment when working in the kitchen etc., as I'll plan poorly or brute force things and make a mess. My inner monologue seems amplified about 500%. I love it, but it's very distracting. I feel as if I'm constantly in dialogue with myself or someone else. Though this is easily muted by focusing my attention or conversing with an actual person. I.e. I've never experienced what I'd characterize as an actual hallucination. It's more like the elements of a live, background daydream emerging simultaneously in your conscious mind. Your reality is never transformed, but every thought and action is drawn through a filter that's bolder, sillier, and more colourful. Then you realize these were thoughts you had all along, but your mind usually mutes them. At the moment, no one's guarding the door and the dial's cranked to eleven.

- As implied above, I don't think cannabis is a strong benefit to my life. But it's fun, and I don't think it makes most existing problems worse. Mrs. Nym still isn't a fan of me using it (mostly for its effect of making me overly chatty/silly), but she tolerates it.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ah, to revisit those discovery days of yore. I have silly stories.

Regarding varieties, I only notice subtle differences and don't have a consistent preference. It's more about set and setting, as you observed. That is, your surroundings and your mental/emotional state shape the drug.

When I'm in my cave and following my routine, I smoke regularly to reach peak buzz and stay there, one hit at a time, for 3-4 hours. I typically consume one small dried flower, which translates to a fraction of a joint. Yet when I travel (as I'm going to do this weekend) it doesn't faze me to go a week without a toke. I might take a little with me, or I might not. Even if I do I won't smoke any unless conditions are convivial. So it's habit-forming, sure, but not addictive for me.

Maybe instead of smoking up to your peak buzz all at once (and overshooting sometimes), you might try taking it more gradually. Might not work for you if smoking is a hassle; me, I'm just sitting at my desk, sipping on a bowl, with a window fan exhausting the smoke.

Anyway, glad you're still enjoying the weed with roots in hell.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I feel like I'm unraveling the truth of human cognition. It's so precise how all systems interact and become out of balance with each other. Everything is chemical. Every behaviour can be predicted. We are constrained by our own nature that improbably developed over a billion years. We are too small for this universe. Is life merely a side effect of an incomprehensible expulsion of energy and matter? What purpose could life have in an expanding universe? Is our purpose to consume? Can we be more? Does it matter? Can life develop a purpose beyond reproduction? Is there any way to fight entropy devouring us all? I had to delete the last few sentences because they got too depressing.

I should probably do something to distract myself from having smoked too much. But what if the wandering mind of indulgent cannabis use actually represents a more honest truth? What if it allows us to suppress the delusions and defense mechanisms present during standard consciousness? Why is being high considered less responsible than being sober? Why is our natural state something to aspire to? Isn't that itself a form of entropy? It's all just chemicals. Chemicals don't have morality. That doesn't mean society shouldn't have rules though. Things can be important without mattering. We make the universe matter. The longevity of mattering is irrelevant. Know that this moment matters, as will each moment of your consciousness. The frailty of life defines it.

Is it arrogant to hope that the waste our civilization may nourish something more?

It's still possible for me to get too high. Anyway, I think I'll switch back to carts from joints. I love joints, and I love smoking. Even though it's gross. But it's becoming too cold to stand on the balcony in my shorts and undershirt. And I've become more paranoid about my health. The SAD and all that. Full-on existential crisis. Contemplating the far future. Both the universe's and my own. Are they the same thing? Shit, there I go again. Not that vaping is necessarily safer than smoking. I even looked at switching to tinctures. Or those lozenges are nice. But I still plan to smoke on occasion.
Last edited by Sudy on Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wait until you realize it's not even your chemicals driving the car in you skull.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

They all have the same origin though, don't they?

I wish my high epiphanies were more original.

Origin... original....

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Thanks to MAGA I won't be smoking.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've got a friend in your region and she's bummed as well. :( They also inexplicably defunded her library.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"Every facet, every department of your mind is to be programmed by you. And unless you assume your rightful responsibility, and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:44 pm What purpose could life have in an expanding universe? Is our purpose to consume?
We are the universe's senses. It apprehends and understands itself through us, and through countless other organisms on countless other worlds, from viruses up to demigods. Your job is to experience and think and amuse the universe. Yeah, I'm a hedonist. :)
I should probably do something to distract myself from having smoked too much. But what if the wandering mind of indulgent cannabis use actually represents a more honest truth? What if it allows us to suppress the delusions and defense mechanisms present during standard consciousness?
You and me should smoke a doob with Carl Sagan.
I love joints, and I love smoking.
Lungs and cannabis co-evolved so the universe could toke up. It's our duty.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:43 am You and me should smoke a doob with Carl Sagan.
I would like that. Unless it's a euphemism for death. But that's obviously the only way it would happen, and only if there's an afterlife. Excepting alternate universes and a radically different understanding of time and space. :lol: I enjoyed reading Mr. X. It's too bad the modern conventional impression of cannabis usage still tends to be one of stoners and bums (even though that culture can be fun).

You know you've had a sucky cart when the new one doesn't even need to be pre-heated to get a decent draw. We got a small air purifier since the last time I vaped heavily, and it does not like the clouds. Since I tend to indulge later in the day, I never realized how long that material stays in the air and how huge a cloud it actually creates until I saw it dissipating over top of a bright lamp one night. Definitely helps you better imagine the spread of respiratory disease.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sudy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:44 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:43 am You and me should smoke a doob with Carl Sagan.
I would like that. Unless it's a euphemism for death. But that's obviously the only way it would happen, and only if there's an afterlife.
Maybe he meant while watching Cosmos.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pro tip: If you have some flower that's so dry it crumbles to powder, add one drop of water per 1/8 oz of weed and it will rehydrate just enough to burn more slowly and taste better.

I stocked up a few months ago and that weed is bone dry now. Usually, 1/8 will last me a month, but it was going twice as fast as that because it was burning too hot. Freshening it up fixed that.

Don't overdo it; one drop goes a long way.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I like to put a small piece of orange peel in with it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That will work if you don't have a drop of water. If you just like smoking fruit, you can make a pipe out of an apple. Put a square of tinfoil with some holes punched in it into the bowl if you want your weed to actually burn.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Orange peel sounds nice. If a slice of bread will soften/moisturize cookies, why not cannabis? Probably reasons.

I admire the lengths you guys go to. I've switched to resin vape carts for the winter but I miss smoking.

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

https://bovedainc.com/cannabis/

I keep a variety of flower on-hand and always store it in Mason jars with 62% Boveda packs. I've gone back and forth between the 55% and 62%, I prefer the 62% because it's best for joints.

It's all about protecting the terpenes and if you let your flower dry to the point of crumbling you've lost all of them.

Bread and orange peels are bad ideas because they can cause mold.

I get Boveda's from Amazon, they are about a $1 apiece and last a couple months in a tightly sealed jar. You throw them out and replace them when they go from spongy to crispy feeling.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Sudy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:02 am Orange peel sounds nice. If a slice of bread will soften/moisturize cookies, why not cannabis? Probably reasons.

I admire the lengths you guys go to. I've switched to resin vape carts for the winter but I miss smoking.
To be clear, it's been a long time since I've suffered dry weed, what with being able to buy a gram at a time now.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

But you have me contemplating what delicious things sticking some citrus peel in with even fresh weed might do. Not to corrupt its natural aroma.

mori

Post by mori »

With MN loosening it's laws on edibles and me changing jobs this has become an option. CBD does absolutely nothing for me and have found that Indica does nothing for me. But Delta 8 THC puts me out like a light switch and that is what I want. To me it is a stupid high and see no reason to do it recreationally, but when I want to sleep and stay asleep, it is awesome. It seems to do something magically that stops those middle of the night urges to need to pee and just lets me sleep. So Sunday nights I take a 50mg gummi and wake fresh Monday mornings instead of getting a few hours of sleep and tossing and turning for hours and being worn out before the work week even begins.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I was in Great Barrington last weekend -- a city of 7,000 souls with seven cannabis dispensaries. I've been reading about how prices are crashing in Mass., so I thought I'd stock up. Unfortunately none of GB's shops have medical marijuana, so I drove up to Pittsfield for half of my purchase to avoid the 20% tax. But between two stores I snagged an ounce (mostly in 1/8 oz packages) for about $250, which is at least a six-month supply, and probably more.

Now, all of this weed is sealed in airtight packages of various designs, which I keep in a wooden humidor. But by the time I get to the end of my new stash, I know that the buds will be too dry. They're completely protected from light and mostly from air ("airtight" being imperfect), but not temperature. Come summer, it will routinely be over 80 degrees in my office. I don't want powder-dry buds so I started wondering about freezing or refrigeration.

The internet wasn't real helpful. Three out of four sites said freezing is a bad idea and one thought it was great. But all of them assume that you're trying to preserve raw buds, not cured and packaged weed.

What do you think? In terms of preserving their current state of ripeness (very low moisture, but some), do the benefits of keeping it cool/freezing outweigh the low humidity in one's fridge?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Indiana, unsurprisingly, still ensures that I am officially smokin' nothin.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)