Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:13 pm All I can say is, if Rupert Murdoch has turned on him…good luck.
He'll turn on him up to the point it hurts ratings.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:52 pm I hope Trump is beaten so badly its a shameful mark on the Republicans.
You would need Republicans you were capable of shame. There are still some of them, but they’ve largely disowned what’s left of the GOP.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

All of the pieces are in place for a dramatic and celebratory Trump-DeSantis unity ticket.

Every "Is Trump done?" story just adds fuel to that eventual bonfire.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:21 pm All of the pieces are in place for a dramatic and celebratory Trump-DeSantis unity ticket.
Clash of the titanic egos. Trump won't accept a #2 who isn't a lapdog, and I can't see DeSantis kissing his ring convincingly. DeSantis would accept the #2 slot to position himself for '28, but trump won't accept DeSantis.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trump-Cruz is more likely.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:49 pm Trump-Cruz is more likely.
That is mind-numbingly horrible.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to help.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:53 pm
The best kind of horrible. I mean, would you rather your mind not be numb and you actually feel the horror? :ninja:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Must all recent/current political choices be between actual vs potential horror? :D

Would it kill some…one (waves hands) to present us with some merely average, but ultimately disappointing choices for once? I’d even take mediocre.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kamala is still one of your choices.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Also Trump-Lake or Trump-MTG are probably more likely than Trump-DeSantis as well. Any strategist worth their salt is going to try to push Trump in the direction of someone who might bring an advantage in the polarized states like Arizona or Georgia that he'll need.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:56 am
Also Trump-Lake or Trump-MTG are probably more likely than Trump-DeSantis as well. Any strategist worth their salt is going to try to push Trump in the direction of someone who might bring an advantage in the polarized states like Arizona or Georgia that he'll need.
The other thing is that Trump is probably going to be more assertive on his VP choice than he was in 2016, with unpredictable results. I think Trump-Lake is fairly likely. I also wouldn't rule out him picking one of his kids, especially Ivanka, so Trump-Trump is a possibility as well.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:04 am
malchior wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:56 am
The other thing is that Trump is probably going to be more assertive on his VP choice than he was in 2016, with unpredictable results. I think Trump-Lake is fairly likely. I also wouldn't rule out him picking one of his kids, especially Ivanka, so Trump-Trump is a possibility as well.
Enlarge Image

RIP Norm
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'd be kind of shocked if it isn't Lake. A pretty tv host who parrots his bullshit? Perfect. If she were VP she would have gone along with his nonsense in 2020 for sure.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's 100% Lake. She's a vain, narcissist lunatic just like he is. I'm sure they'd feed off either other's energy somehow and get crowds whipped into a frenzy in no time.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lake, who is actually not attractive at all, is perfect for Florida Man (Uno). Since she failed as a Repugnican nominee it's his way of thumbing his nose at the GOP elite, sending a message that he doesn't need them.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:16 am It's 100% Lake. She's a vain, narcissist lunatic just like he is. I'm sure they'd feed off either other's energy somehow and get crowds whipped into a frenzy in no time.
Nailed it.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'd bet against Lake. She has big Sarah Palin energy, and she's a gaffe machine. Plus, she threatens Trump by possibly drawing attention away from him.

He can't win with the MAGA base alone, so he has to pick someone at least partially palatable to independents. Nikki Haley would be a far smarter choice than Lake.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:51 pm I'd bet against Lake. She has big Sarah Palin energy, and she's a gaffe machine. Plus, she threatens Trump by possibly drawing attention away from him.

He can't win with the MAGA base alone, so he has to pick someone at least partially palatable to independents. Nikki Haley would be a far smarter choice than Lake.
Since when is Florida Man (Uno) known for making smart choices? Knee bending is his only measure of worth.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:00 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:51 pm I'd bet against Lake. She has big Sarah Palin energy, and she's a gaffe machine. Plus, she threatens Trump by possibly drawing attention away from him.

Since when is Florida Man (Uno) known for making smart choices? Knee bending is his only measure of worth.
Well, he picked Pence because he didn't know that the Evangelicals were already in his thrall. He thought their vote would need shoring up. And Pence offered no distraction from the Headliner.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you wondering, Chris Christie is making his move:
A year ago, Chris Christie wouldn’t even call former President Donald Trump out by name when he warned an audience at the Ronald Regan Library not to let “a few zealots” control the Republican Party.

Now, there’s no holding back for the former New Jersey governor with eyes on the White House.

“This guy is a loser,” Christie told NJ Advance Media in a recent interview. “He can’t win. He’s won once and everything he’s done since then is lose.”

Christie got a standing ovation last week from hundreds of GOP donors after trashing Trump at a Republican Governors Association meeting in Orlando, Florida, about 170 miles from Mara Lago.

He boasted that people thanked him the rest of the day and the following day for what he said. Donors, he knows, want winners.
Also, F Chris Christie.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Christie is a big man to admit being wrong. Literally.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, there's no way that Christie will come back around if Trump is the 2024 nominee, for sure.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I also don’t think he makes the Pence mistake (in his mind) again, and doubles down with an Uber Trump loyalist (Lake or ‘Lake-like’)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

He will pick someone that will do the right thing.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:35 pmAlso, F Chris Christie.
Seriously. He is one of those people you have to think is amazingly delusional. We all saw what he did and he can't fix his past. How many times does he have to find out he has NO CHANCE?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:17 pm Seriously. He is one of those people you have to think is amazingly delusional. We all saw what he did and he can't fix his past. How many times does he have to find out he has NO CHANCE?
I'm sure he's seeing people like DeSantis riding high and he wants in on the action. Christie is a total POS but he's more likable than DeSantis. Why shouldn't he be able to capitalize on that?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:21 pm
malchior wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:17 pm Seriously. He is one of those people you have to think is amazingly delusional. We all saw what he did and he can't fix his past. How many times does he have to find out he has NO CHANCE?
I'm sure he's seeing people like DeSantis riding high and he wants in on the action. Christie is a total POS but he's more likable than DeSantis. Why shouldn't he be able to capitalize on that?
Right. I wonder if everyone around him is constantly trying to convince him to take up a hobby or something.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Former South Carolina Republican Gov. Nikki Haley announced Tuesday in a video that she will run for president in 2024, becoming the first major rival to challenge former President Donald Trump for the GOP nomination.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/14/politics ... index.html
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

She's totally got a chance.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:42 am She's totally got a chance.
She is running for president of the USA but believes states can secede:

This was settled by the Civil War. Kind of hard to be president if she isn’t willing defend the country from enemies, “foreign and domestic”.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They can't secede, but can they be expelled? Or maybe demoted to territories.

I'm looking at you, Florida.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

They can't secede unilaterally, but I would think a state could theoretically secede (or be expelled) if there was widespread support in the entire country, if by no other means than by passing a constitutional amendment.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:13 am They can't secede unilaterally, but I would think a state could theoretically secede (or be expelled) if there was widespread support in the entire country, if by no other means than by passing a constitutional amendment.
Pretty sure that they're not talking about whether everyone could consent to a state's departure, the question is whether a given state has the right to secede. And honestly I really don't see how it's even possible to argue (as she did) that the Constitution says that states have the right to secede. One can potentially argue that states have the implicit right, but even that was essentially settled by the Civil War (because if the states had the legal right to secede, then it pretty much necessarily follows that the Union war effort was illegal).
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is what happens when you let insurrectionists re-integrate into society after a civil war. It starts with flags and statues and the naming of schools and roads, and ends with future Presidential candidates that support the idea.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Haley's Vomit?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:01 pm This is what happens when you let insurrectionists re-integrate into society after a civil war. It starts with flags and statues and the naming of schools and roads, and ends with future Presidential candidates that support the idea.
Ironically she successfully spearheaded the effort to take down the Confederate flag that used to fly over our Capitol.

She probably doesn’t have a chance just based on that alone, not to mention the far right’s ideas around a woman being Commander In Chief.

I suspect the GOP will give more weight to that action vs just words saying secession is ‘legal’.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:37 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:01 pm This is what happens when you let insurrectionists re-integrate into society after a civil war. It starts with flags and statues and the naming of schools and roads, and ends with future Presidential candidates that support the idea.
Ironically she successfully spearheaded the effort to take down the Confederate flag that used to fly over our Capitol.

She probably doesn’t have a chance just based on that alone, not to mention the far right’s ideas around a woman being Commander In Chief.

I suspect the GOP will give more weight to that action vs just words saying secession is ‘legal’.
She doesn't have a chance mainly because she's too much of a Trumpist to be satisfactory to any non-Trump factions, but also too much of a non-Trumper to be satisfactory to the Trumpists. There's also the broader problem that no non-Trump active Republican can really go after Trump, and unlike DeSantis Haley doesn't have the party or conservative media behind her. Honestly it's not totally clear what he constituency is.

If a meteor blessedly hits Trump and DeSantis during a meeting between the two, then *maybe* she might start to have a small chance.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's always jockeying for a cabinet post or VP slot.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Man, I’m really looking forward to the vicious fight to come. Trump is going to burn the GOP to the ground if they don’t fall into line for him.

In other words, Christmas is coming again.
Covfefe!