Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by malchior »

From the guy who needed to go to Greenland to be convinced climate change is real comes this empty, vapid take on Trump. His argument is the base and his media support is going to abandon him because he is a loser and DeSantis is a winner. Maybe but that's the entirety of the argument. That's it. Meanwhile we possibly face even more wall-to-wall Trump coverage. Chalk up another tally for a prediction that Trump is finally finished.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can't wait to see where this all goes. I'm mainly posting here because I'm having a hard time imagining life in 2024 using current variables. I guess we'll see?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:03 pm Holeeee shit that’s big. I guess we’ll see soon enough who the true believers were at Fox.

Anybody want to place odds on Cucker Tarlson?
Trump don't care, his ego trumps everything.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nice. That probably makes GA's Senate seat a lock for the Dems, esp. if trump actively bloviates for Walker (which he will only do if he thinks Walker will win; trump can't afford to back any more losers).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I tried to watch his whatever it was last night. I made it like 30 seconds of him talking and I think I suffered PTSD, I think, and I had to watch cartoons. Can I assume the yuge announcement that wasn't ONLY about him running was really just a predictable blathering announcement only about his running?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:20 am I tried to watch his whatever it was last night. I made it like 30 seconds of him talking and I think I suffered PTSD, I think, and I had to watch cartoons. Can I assume the yuge announcement that wasn't ONLY about him running was really just a predictable blathering announcement only about his running?
Well, Lindsey Graham says it was a fantastic start to a new era of world leadership, or some nonsense similar.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nothing on CNBC about it this morning except a once an hour sentence long enough to mention he's running. That's a good start, I guess. :D Between that and only one mention of Musk total by proxy when they did a bit on Artemis (SpaceX has a lander contract planned for a future launch), it's a good morning. :D
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As physically ill as it makes me to think of having to deal with this orange abomination for the next two years, I feel MUCH better about a Trump run now than I did before the mid-terms.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Don't sleep on the shitgoblin. He needs to be buried deep.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's an agent of destruction at this point. The GOP has a rot and they know it. But removing it may kill the patient.
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

WTF, CSPAN?

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like that's sarcasm. There's no agenda listed. Just slogans.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Also... has there ever been a presidential candidate that ran twice on the same slogan? Feels weird to me. And doesn't it imply that he failed in his first term? :twisted:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:22 am I feel like that's sarcasm. There's no agenda listed. Just slogans.
I don't think it is sarcasm. That's the verbatim 'text'. It's a megaphone but C-SPAN is designed for this role - covering political activity without favor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:20 am I tried to watch his whatever it was last night. I made it like 30 seconds of him talking and I think I suffered PTSD, I think, and I had to watch cartoons. Can I assume the yuge announcement that wasn't ONLY about him running was really just a predictable blathering announcement only about his running?
Hah, this morning my car radio started to play a clip of trump talking and I quickly muted it. Can't even stand hearing his voice.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:26 am Also... has there ever been a presidential candidate that ran twice on the same slogan? Feels weird to me. And doesn't it imply that he failed in his first term? :twisted:
Easy peasy: He made it great again during his (yak!) presidency, Dark Biden cocked it up REAL GOOD, now Florida Man plans to make it great....again. He will make it so great you won't be able to STAND It. The greatness will rock your world. Like everything there is a price for this greatness, though. And that price is the vig (and having to listen to the douchey prick for 4 years).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MAGAA
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

At least TFG has finally officially conceded that he was not elected to be President in 2020 by filing to run in 2024.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:40 pm At least TFG has finally officially conceded that he was not elected to be President in 2020 by filing to run in 2024.
Someone should sue to disqualify him from a run on the basis that he has already been elected to the presidency twice.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:42 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:40 pm At least TFG has finally officially conceded that he was not elected to be President in 2020 by filing to run in 2024.
Someone should sue to disqualify him from a run on the basis that he has already been elected to the presidency twice.
:lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My favorite bit was his claim that under his administration, "I’ve gone decades, decades without a war".

...you were president for 4 years, Brainiac.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:53 pm ...you were president for 4 years, Brainiac.
And... and was at war for 100% of the time.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, that's it. I thought I could stomach his BS for the good of creating the inevitable chaos in the GOP by his announcing, but I am not sure anymore. DAY ONE, MOTHERFUCKER?!? Sigh....I can't even.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I didn't watch as I didn't want to break my soul but I heard he walked out to Le Miserables. Does he not get the irony of a rich elite walking out to Do you here the people sing? Holy shit balls. He totally thinks A Christmas Carol is a horror story with a sad ending.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:34 pm I didn't watch as I didn't want to break my soul but I heard he walked out to Le Miserables. Does he not get the irony of a rich elite walking out to One More Day? Holy shit balls. He totally thinks A Christmas Carol is a horror story with a sad ending.
I will say this one more time...and then I will stop. SURELY he's trolling right? I mean, it fits his MO of being a mean-spirited dickhead.

1. We know he and his cult LOVE to trigger libs, right? That is a known.
2. Apparently he is obssessed with consuming social media and likewise weaponizes it to his own ends.

So I can totally see him, even to himself, saying "LOL I can't wait to see what the triggered libs will have to say when I waltz out to this song!! The fallout will be epic!" It really seems that a LOT of his and his Trumpolytes in office platform has to do with antagonizing progressives in this country. He HATES them and their ideas so much that he makes it a priority to poke them in the eye every chance he gets. And even really subtle shit, like this example! Totally serious, btw...I think he's just that petty. Look at Lake! She's the same way! So many others as well.

EDIT: OTOH, is he even smart enough to be aware of Les Miserables, much less song meanings, etc? He doesn't strike me as the "Les Mis" type, if you feel me. :P
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh I 100% think that's why he did it. I can't take another 4 years of people being empowered to be their worst selves. Nor can the country really. I'm going to try my best to just ignore his nonsense.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

He's a bully, and bullies need an audience and a reaction. So I'm following suit - just ignore it, as difficult as it is. I refuse to let these assholes get my blood pressure up anymore. Wallow in your hate-filled life, I'm going to be out there trying to be a good person.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Even on the Right, response to the announcement has been meh. If you take a look at the Twitter feed "Right Wing Watch" (which collects examples of RW excess on social media), you see podcaster after podcaster pissed that Trump seemed low energy when they wanted him to bring back the fire and rage.

And then there are the QAnon types who had convinced themselves that THIS would --finally-- be the announcement of The Storm (the arrest and execution of Democratic election-stealers by the military, still loyal to a secretly-still-President Trump). They are devastated at getting only a routine campaign announcement.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are way, way too many variables in play right now for me to be stressed about this. For all we know, it could be the end of American democracy. Or it could be the thing that sinks the GOP takeover plan for good. Or that splinters the GoP for 20 years. Or it could just be a flash-in-the-pan that ends up meaning nothing and continues the status quo until the next election.

I'll be stressed when the unknowns start to be eliminated or defined. For now? I'll just let it flow on past.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm not too upset over it either. I think it's better than him not announcing.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Right. It's not like he's ever proven people that thought he was buried to be wrong. WHEW!!! :P

I KEED I KEED! Maintain the zen, I do truly think he's toast this time (not "going to jail" toast, but political toast). I suspect he will put up a hellofa fight, and it might even be close, but the signaling from places where he was so revered before have turned on him. Maybe most importantly, with the kingmakers overtly dumping on him, he likely has very little chance this time around.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope Trump is beaten so badly its a shameful mark on the Republicans.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Edit: Whoops, but this in the wrong too soon thread.
Last edited by Defiant on Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:21 pmMaybe most importantly, with the kingmakers overtly dumping on him, he likely has very little chance this time around.
This is honestly an argument for why he might succeed again. Trump's power was driving people off the sidelines because they hate the elite kingmakers. The good thing is that he also drives people off the sidelines against him. Unfortunately the electoral college gives him an advantage we can't ignore.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:04 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:21 pmMaybe most importantly, with the kingmakers overtly dumping on him, he likely has very little chance this time around.
This is honestly an argument for why he might succeed again. Trump's power was driving people off the sidelines because they hate the elite kingmakers. The good thing is that he also drives people off the sidelines against him. Unfortunately the electoral college gives him an advantage we can't ignore.
They hate the kingmakers they don't like but Theil, The DeVos', The Kochs, Griffin, Ellison, Wynn, Adelson, the Uihleins etc... are all OK or "I don't know what you're talking about" in their books.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My expectation going into this cycle was that if Trump declared, that all the key players would fall over themselves to ostentatiously line up behind him, and that *maybe* DeSantis was the only person with a shot at taking him on, if he was willing. That expectation hasn't materialized so far, so I will say that I no longer think that Trump is a shoe-in for the GOP nomination. Still a contender, though, because while plenty of people are apparently willing to say that Trump is a loser, so far still no one's willing to say that he's wrong.

Plus the other thing is that we could wind up with a re-run of the 2016 GOP primary, with a large field of people willing to attack each other but who rarely go after Trump directly, and who wind up creating a split field allowing Trump to win with a plurality.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I still think he has the best chance until we see evidence that Trump no longer controls the base. The Republicans performed weakly because the base turned out in many key races to nominate MAGAt candidates. It's possible they'll see the error of their ways and not nominate Trump but that's a *stretch* right now. We also have to keep in mind he's got many proxies in Congress. They'll be pitching tv ready soft balls out to Trump to knock out of the park for 2 years.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

All I can say is, if Rupert Murdoch has turned on him…good luck.