Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

Post by jztemple2 »

Fate of Iberia Flavor Pack now released, along with a free update:

Crusader Kings III: Fate of Iberia, available now!

Dev Diary #99 - 1.6 ‘Castle’ Update ⚔️

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

After playing a lot of Sniper Elite 5 and Hardspace:Shipbreaker I was ready to dive into CK3 and the new Fate of Iberia expansion... till I saw today's developer update: CK3 Dev Diary #100: A Royal Journey
Fate of Iberia was released just last week, and we hope you’re all enjoying shaping the peninsula according to your own ideas and ideals! Are you dominating it by force, or trying to reconcile the inhabitants’ differences? Have any of you encountered the elusive wandering monk yet?

Anyhow, we’re hard at work with the 1.6.1 update, where we’re tweaking some balance, fixing issues found by you in the community, and also adding in a few new goodies (more on that below). We’re also working on a fix for those of you who can’t start the game (the AVX issue), which will come out before the full 1.6.1 update. Remember to pop by the bug forums if you have a problem: it’s the best way to make sure we know about your game issues!
Damn, I hate the idea of starting a multi-dozen hour new campaign in CK3 and then see that there was new content added that I missed, so I'll be putting off my new campaign till 1.6.1 is released... and maybe 1.6.2... and then there's 1.6.3... :grund:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just wait until the announce CKIV, then go back.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So today the 1.6.1 update went live and the devs put out Dev Diary #102: Stabilizing the Iberian Peninsula which basically says that the new updates for Fate of Iberia plus free content plus patches will be the last update till after their summer break, so I guess it's time for me to finally start a new game of CKIII with the Fate of Iberia content highlighted.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So, start of a new game. I am Emir Adanis, and thankfully it's an Easy challenge, or supposedly it is.
Enlarge Image

I'm a pretty small fish in a big ocean. At least my liege likes me... a little.
Enlarge Image

The Iberian Struggle main screen. When I fired up the game with the new DLC a few weeks ago I went through the ten help pages displayed for this, but I'm not seeing it now so there must be some setting I have to check or uncheck to get it to show again. Or I can just go on with what I remember. That sounds good :roll:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The current situation dialog. Hmm, l have too few spouses. This is the first time I've played a non-Christian, non-Feudal leader so I guess I'm going to have to learn a few things. Also the first time I've had a ruler who has a liege.
Enlarge Image

Time to pick a Lifestyle. I've got some Stewardship strengths, so let's pick that.
Enlarge Image

And now a focus. Making more money is always good, at least till I learn more.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have a half-sister I can marry off. I can marry her to my liege to join his other wife :roll: or I can marry him to a courtier of my liege. But honestly I'm not really sure which is better so I'll wait.

And I've now started the clock and boom, this pops up:
Enlarge Image

So I'm now involved in this struggle, but first I have to keep my own head, so I'll avoid provoking anyone. Besides, I'm losing possible Piety points because I don't have enough spouses.
Enlarge Image

This looks promising. Oria is a courtier and sister to Sheikh Lubb, who is a fellow vassal of mine, we both have the same liege. We have similar sized armies, so maybe that will keep us safer. We are of different cultures so that's a slight hindrance, but we can work that out.
Enlarge Image

My proposal is accepted and I now have an alliance with Sheikh Lubb. And as can be seen in the lower right corner my action also had a small effect on the Iberian Struggle.
Enlarge Image

And here's a pop-up with more about Conciliation in the Struggle. I'm still confused about it, but it's early days.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So let's bring up the Iberian Struggle interface. What's this? Conciliation is outscoring Hostility three to one. What does that mean? I don't know! :roll:
Enlarge Image

I still have enough points to select a dynasty legacy. This is interesting, the first phase of Coterie allows me to hire House members without having to pay them a salary. That's pretty good considering how much cash I laid out in my last game for court positions. I'll try that.
Enlarge Image

And here's how I'm going to use that legacy. I need a court physician so I appoint my half-sister who will work for free :wink:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Suggestions box keeps wanting me to create a Dissolution Faction against my liege. Sounds iffy but that's what saved games are for :wink:
Enlarge Image

And here we are. Not enough military power to press this cause on my own.
Enlarge Image

Well, this is a development I did not foresee. My liege, against whom I have created a faction, suddenly offers to give me a vassal. A vassal with a castle :D Actually, two castles. What is my liege's ulterior motive? Is this a trap? Is this the end of Little Caesar? In the end I accept the new vassal.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh no! Suddenly my nemesis has challenged me to a duel! I accept.
Enlarge Image

The first round decides nothing, and now I'm ready for the next round of combat. What can I do? Why, I'll throw my purse at him!
Enlarge Image

Well, that was a dumb idea. I lose twenty gold and the fight goes on. I opt for a probing attack.
Enlarge Image

No effect. Now I just throw a prayer at him. At least I can afford that.
Enlarge Image

With his next attack my nemesis injuries me. I concede.
Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: Love it.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's my first opportunity to expand. There's a next door sheikhdom with practically no army. And I have a casus belli against it, in fact I have three. One is a Struggle Clash which allows me to make a vassal the of the ruler. However, the ruler is the son of my liege and that will certainly complicate things. The next option is a border raid which nets me gold but won't get me any territory. The last is the one I show below, launch a war to support the claim of my cousin whom I would put on the throne there. Any of the options affects the relationship between myself and my liege, but it seems like too good an opportunity to pass up.
Enlarge Image

The war has been launched. Defeating his tiny field army was easy, now we besiege his capitol.
Enlarge Image

Well, this is interesting. A neighboring fellow vassal has offered to join my war... for a price. But that much gold would clean out my coffers, so I must decline. But maybe I could make some gold getting into other peoples wars?
Enlarge Image

The capitol falls and with nothing left to defend my adversary seeks peace. The sheikhdom now has my cousin as ruler, and he is now my grateful vassal.
Enlarge Image

Some people are just such poor losers :wink:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have converted to the Andalusian culture, which is the culture of all my lands so it makes sense.
Enlarge Image

Thanks to a clerical blunder (really!) I now have a claim on the title for a sheikdom south of me. I can attack it anyway as part of the Struggle, but it would be a lot cheaper in Prestige to just press my claim. However, I just got done fighting a war so I'm going to let my army and economy recover first.
Enlarge Image

By the way, that faction I created to dissolve the reign of my liege? That kind of fell through because a war he was fighting spilled over onto my realm and I offered to join my liege to defeat that enemy. Now my liege and I are Friends :roll: and so I can't create a Faction against him.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Arranging a marriage for my ten year old daughter. A good match might be to my 46 year old liege. It gives me an ally with about twice my army size. Another option would be to marry her off to one of his sons. The son is more her age, but I'm afraid that when the old man dies the young man is going to get squat in titles and my daughter will be stuck with him. Better to go with the old man.
Enlarge Image

However, that marriage can wait because my liege is still fighting a war and hey, if I join him he'll pay me 100 gold! Seems a good idea now that he's actually winning the war :D
Enlarge Image

Meanwhile, I have a new son from #2 wife. And #1 wife is now pregnant. Going to be a big family!
Enlarge Image

UPDATE: The war is over and since my contribution was over 100 (points?), I get the 100 gold.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now here's an interesting situation. I can create the Duchy of Coimbra. The good news is that I only have one Duchy title and I'm allowed to hold two. And, if you look closely, my prestige is -281 (too many wars and calling for allies) and the 300 prestige for creating the duchy will get me back on the positive side...
Enlarge Image

...The bad news is in the image below. The new duchy is in a different de jure kingdom than my current one. So it wouldn't be any help to getting my own kingdom.
Enlarge Image

And there's another twist. I hold all the sheikdoms (counties) in that potential new duchy except one, and that is held by my rival Emir Sa'dun. I would very much like to give him a poke in the eye, but this might be the next best thing :D. So let's do this!
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

If it isn't one thing it's another :roll:. My brother-in-law, who is my ally, has a little peasant uprising on his hands. He wants me to come help him out.
Enlarge Image

Whoops! Make that a big peasant uprising. His army is outnumbered two to one. Well, I guess I'll go bail him out.
Enlarge Image

Meanwhile, it's yet another thing! There are religious clashes in one of my new sheikdoms. My High Chieftess (#1 wife) wants me to let her handle it, and by handle it she means to mop the floor with some of the citizens. I gain the trait Fanatical Recruits for ten years, which lowers my army maintenance cost and gives me a boost if I fight someone of a different religion, but the sheikdom goes into decline for five years :?. I also might be known as a hate monger.
Enlarge Image

However, if I try to handle the situation, there's a 47% chance of things working out well, and 53% chance of those riots and murders my wife's option would guarantee. And she'll like me less and I'll gain stress which I don't really need right now.
Enlarge Image

I decide to go with the first option and let my wife handle things :roll:. So I get Fanatical Recruits and the sheikdom has riots and murders. At least I avoided being a hate monger, I would just hate that :wink:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now that the peasant rebellion is over, it's time to start another war. I'm low on Prestige but I can declare a Struggle Clash (there's a joke somewhere in there about fashion) and while it costs lots of Piety (he's a ruler with the same faith as me) I can afford it.
Enlarge Image

I'm besieging his capital. His army is about a quarter the size of mine and he avoids combat.
Enlarge Image

Meanwhile (there's that word again!) the alliance I had with my liege is now canceled because the betrothal of my son and his daughter has been broken. How? Because someone murdered my liege's daughter. Who would do such a terrible thing to a two year old? My liege :shock:
Enlarge Image

Here's some cosmic justice. Two months after murdering his daughter, my liege dies of his wounds. He was my friend but I can get other friends.
Enlarge Image

My new liege. He is married but has an unmarried son. Right now I don't have any free daughters to offer but maybe there's one on the way??
Enlarge Image

Oh goodie, my rival has joined my war... on the other side. I'll have to call up some allies of my own.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The war continues but so does politics. As a powerful vassal of my new liege, I'm being offered the position of Marshal on his council.
Enlarge Image

I accept. As you can see, being a Marshal of your boss has some perks.
Enlarge Image

As can be seen, my nemesis is also spymaster on my liege's council. Just hope I don't have to sit next to him! And just to make it spicier, he's also an enemy ally in my war. Going to make for some fun chat if we end up standing next to each other's urinal.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Having seized all the war goals in the emirate I was attacking the war is now over. I didn't think that out very well as I just spend 160 gold to hire a big mercenary band. Well, I have them for three years, maybe I can find them something to do :wink:
Enlarge Image
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Your recaps remain very entertaining!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I find something to do. I can create a dissolution faction against my liege. Let's proceed.
Enlarge Image

I'm the only member of the faction, but I've got a big army and a mercenary band on hire. Since I'm the leader of the faction, I don't have to wait that eight months for discontent to grow. Let's party!
Enlarge Image

Well, there's no big surprise. My liege is not going to give it, so it's war!
Enlarge Image

I lost a level of fame, so my Prestige is way negative again. The good news is that I way outnumber his army.
Enlarge Image

My liege now has two allies. I need to move fast.
Enlarge Image

After a bad start, losing two battles, I'm obliged again to call in three of my allies, which costs me dearly in Prestige. It's way negative now.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And just in the middle of my dissolution war, my characters dies at the age of 57, apparently of natural causes. His 19 year old son takes over the war.
Enlarge Image

Finally won my dissolution war by capturing the enemy's capital, along with the liege's heir.
Enlarge Image

A look at the war score page. I've noted that capturing the heir was worth 50% of the war score, although winning battles and capturing key locations would have been enough. So I ransomed his heir and daughter for a total of 157 gold, all my now ex-liege had.
Enlarge Image

And here's the big news, I no longer have a liege. The Sultanate of Xenxir is dissolved and I am independent.
Enlarge Image

I failed to notice during the ongoing war, but because of the succession laws, I have only three holdings and one emirate (duchy) in my control. And right now I have no children so my player-heir is my half-brother who probably would like to kill me and take my titles :shock:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I now have taken over 1500 screenshots of this game :shock:

So now that the war is over I can start consolidating by figuring out what I have to do. One of my suggested tasks is to negotiate alliances. The first is with my half-brother who is also my player-heir. He has an army about the third of the one I have. Also he is chancellor for the Sultan from whom I just liberated myself. That brings up an interesting point. If the Sultan attacks me, would my half-brother honor his alliance with me? I'm guessing no, since his obligation to his sultan would supersede his obligation to me. Still, if I get a peasant rebellion or an attack from a third party his support might be useful. Also I couldn't attack him directly since he is a vassal of the Sultan. I'll have to think about this.
Enlarge Image

The next person is another half-brother. He is also my vassal. Making him an ally will keep him from joining a faction against me. So that's a good choice.
Enlarge Image

Finally the third alliance option is another half-brother, and like the first he is a vassal of my old ex-liege. On some more thinking, I figure that it might not be a bad thing to be allies with the half-brothers. If I bail them out of a jam they may like me better, which might persuade them not to kill me :roll:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Current Situation box tells me I don't have enough spouses. I have two, isn't that enough? Apparently not. I'll have to look around...
Enlarge Image

Oh dear, another crisis! The wine is bad during a feast. I pick the option that will give me a half point of Prestige every month and increased opinions among my guests. It will only cost me 50 gold :( Damn expensive wine. Isn't Ripple good enough for these folks? Wait, aren't we supposed to be abstaining from alcohol?
Enlarge Image

So I finally picked out a third wife. She's of the same religion and culture and has a high rating for intrigue, which I hope will help, not hinder me.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now here's an interesting choice... I'm out on a hunt and suddenly a massive stag races at me. One option is to call out to a nearby vassal who protects me, but gets a weak hook on me. That's not that interesting. However, as shown in the choice below, I get a 50% chance of killing the beast and getting increased prestige for several years, a 27% chance of getting wounded which isn't good but not terrible in the long run (usually) and a 22% chance of getting killed :shock:. Let's roll the dice!
Enlarge Image

I got the hunting trophy :wink:. And no I didn't save scum :dance:

Here's something weird... a clash between two religious factions in a sheikdom. I had this before. The top three choices (not shown) are the ones I had before. But now there's a fourth one. I can assign one of my faris (knights) to be the ruler of this sheikdom. That will ease the tensions, the faris will become my vassal and like me more as well. However, I lose a holding. I decided to try it and give up the holding for now. The upside is that the faris, now my vassal, has no offspring and so the sheikdom will return to me if he dies.
Enlarge Image

Speaking of inheritance, and around here we are always talking about inheritance, take a look at the current situation. Right now I'm first in line to inherit six titles. Something to look forward to :think:
Enlarge Image
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Darn it, I'm going to be sucked into playing this again. Now do I want to continue trying to rebuild the russian empire or start something new closer to the Atlantic.... :think:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:30 am Darn it, I'm going to be sucked into playing this again. Now do I want to continue trying to rebuild the russian empire or start something new closer to the Atlantic.... :think:
I can't quite decide how I feel about the Fate of Iberia DLC. It changes the gameplay in a number of ways, but most of them sutble. I haven't gotten far enough into the Struggle to trigger the next phase, maybe there will be significant changes then. But in any case it hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's something that was introduced in the Fate of Iberia DLC and I don't think exists in the vanilla game. You can purchase a truce with another ruler, or they can purchase one from you. As you can see, accepting means I'll have a truce in effect with my next door neighbor for ten years and I get 50 gold.
Enlarge Image

And this is the effect if I decline the offer. Declining has no effect on me and if it negatively affects his opinion of me, he's going to really dislike me anyway when I invade his territory :D. So I'll decline as I don't want my hands tied.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's another truce offer... unlike the last time, this ruler has an army significantly larger than mine. We do share a common border in the south, but in the center there's still room for me to expand into the Duchy/Taifa of Batalyaws.
Enlarge Image

Here's a better look. I hold Baya, while it's the Sultan of Al-Andalus to my east who is asking for the truce. The Duchy/Taifa of Batalyaws is just to my east (the lighter green) and is where I plan to expand. The Duchy/Taifa to the north is Kulumriyya, which is held by my half-brother. His army is smaller than mine and his biggest ally is my ally as well, so he can't be called upon to join my half-brother against me.
Enlarge Image

And I'm about to form the Sultanate/Kingdom of Badajoz so I can use the extra money, besides avoiding a war with a powerful neighbor. So I'm going to sign up for the truce.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And here it is, my option screen for forming a Kingdom.
Enlarge Image

My Chancellor presents me with a new banner and invites me to open my Royal Court. Or I can postpone and do it later, but why wait?
Enlarge Image

And here's a look at my Royal Court of the Malikate of Xenxir, which I'm pretty sure first showed up in Half-life :D.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And let's go into the court and see what's up. I got my first court artifacts, two banners, up and displayed.
Enlarge Image

And now a look at the Court Grandeur screen. As you can see, I'm currently not spending a dinar on Court Amenities but if I don't, my grandeur will drop from it's starting level of 25 down to a default 14. I'll lose several bonuses, so I'll have to weigh the cost versus the benefits.
Enlarge Image

I've decided to go ahead and hold court. My first petitioner... well, you can read it. The matter is trivial but the people appreciate a ruler who steps up, even when it's trivial. So I send my steward to take care of it. He grumbles a but I get a happier, more productive county so that's fine.
Enlarge Image

And the next petition isn't much more important. One of my vassals has brought his jester and thinks I ought to employ him in my court. My chancellor thinks this is a bad idea. I can hire the jester which pleases the vassal but pisses off the chancellor. Or I can make the vassal my jester which will piss him off but please my chancellor. Or I can make my chancellor my jester. In any case, hiring a jester costs money and I don't want to piss off my chancellor, so I elect to do nothing, which annoys the vassal but not by much. Damn, doesn't anyone screen these people?
Enlarge Image

And the last petitioner, again you can read it. I opt to do some praying to cure the dancing disease and I get some Piety points out of it, while the county loses some rate of development but the people are happier. So that's good enough. Court is adjourned!
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Conquered another sheikdom using a claim I had on it. The Malekate of Xenxir continues to expand.
Enlarge Image

My son and player-heir turned 16, so it's time to find him a wife. Since this is who I will be playing when my current ruler dies, it is very important to find a mate who will be of use on the council.
Enlarge Image

The first option is my sister-in-law Amat, who is eighteen. Fickle, compassionate and gregarious and has some strengths, although is very weak in intrigue, as is my player-heir. But she comes with eight title claims to bring to the family.
Enlarge Image

Next there is Thana, a guest in a neighboring court. She is thirty, which is rather old for my son, but she has a very high Intrigue score. She is fickle, sadistic and deceitful, but then who's perfect :wink:. And while of a different culture she is of the same religion. And my son can get other wives for baby making :wink:. But she comes with no title claims.
Enlarge Image

Finally there is Randa, another sister-in-law who is twenty-six. She is fickle, gluttonous and paranoid :shock: and while she is quick she is also a pot head :roll:. And again she brings no title claims.
Enlarge Image

So the choice is Amat, who is younger and more compatible. And her grandfather was a sultan, which might be useful. And as she is the sister of my primary wife, that ought to keep things calmer in the family.
Enlarge Image
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So I ended up starting a new story. I wanted to try something different from my Russian "empire", but didn't want to hit Ireland again. And the Iberian region wasn't grabbing me either. So I decided to pick High Chieftain Aed of Moray up in the Scottish highlands. I wanted to start as a a vassal and see that dynamic in the game.

It turns out that Aed is pretty despicable, so I've leaned into that (also - something new). I usually try to have either a strong warrior leader, or a good steward or a moneyman. But this guy was pure intrigue/evil actions. A look at his Lifestyle perks confirm that he's pretty awful:

Enlarge Image

I'm pretty sure I've never made a run at the "Torturer" tree before!

Anyway, being a vassal wasn't very interesting so I started looking at bigger stakes. My liege, the King of Alba, was my brother Causantin. Perhaps a murder plot would work? Ah, but I'd have to take dispose of my nephew first Domnall Causantin. Disgusting, but successful. As you can see from the following screenshot, other people have met their ends at Aed's hands, including a human sacrifice at a Grand Feast.

Enlarge Image

Add routine torture (because he's sadistic) and taking his sister-in-law as a concubine and yeah - he's pretty awful. The church hates him (floating a -900 piety score at the moment), and with the exception of his children - everybody hates him since his murderous secrets became public knowledge after a night of too-much drinking.

But Aed's personal life aside - Alba has done pretty well over the years. They've expanded through most of the Scottish lands and put down a couple rebellions along the way.

Enlarge Image

So - I'm counting the years until I can pass rule of Alba to my son Robert MacAed. He's noble, and liked, and recently married to a nice young girl from the mainland. The type of character I actually enjoy playing. He'll lose a couple titles to his brothers, but hopefully he can keep/consolidate most power.

Enlarge Image

Because of the Tanistry Elective law the actual Kingdom of Alba title is up for grabs among 32 nominated candidates. That said, Aed has spent years scheming favor hooks to force votes Robert's way. So far it's looking good, but we'll see if he can pull this off.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:24 pm So I ended up starting a new story. I wanted to try something different from my Russian "empire", but didn't want to hit Ireland again. And the Iberian region wasn't grabbing me either. So I decided to pick High Chieftain Aed of Moray up in the Scottish highlands. I wanted to start as a a vassal and see that dynamic in the game.
Sounds like a great story is coming up. But -900 piety? Wow. And I see that you are still losing piety. Could you post an image with a mouseover of your piety gains and losses pop-up? I'd be interested in how you are continuing to be have a negative piety growth rate.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:18 pm Sounds like a great story is coming up. But -900 piety? Wow. And I see that you are still losing piety. Could you post an image with a mouseover of your piety gains and losses pop-up? I'd be interested in how you are continuing to be have a negative piety growth rate.
Enlarge Image

The "Lustful" / "Sadistic" combo is sinking Aed's piety. He's pretty awful. I didn't even realize he inherited a court artifact and it still didn't matter! :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's something that didn't work out as well as I hoped. I wanted to attack a guy, Bob we'll call him. Bob has a very powerful ally, let's call him King Domingu, as that is his name. As can be seen below, in the Fate of Iberia DLC there is an option as part of the Iberian Struggle to pay another ruler to have a truce for ten, fifteen or twenty years, depending on the gold you give him. So I paid for a truce with King Domingu, hoping that this would require him to sit on the sidelines when I attacked Bob. Sadly (at least for me, but not for Bob), this doesn't work. My purchased truce doesn't block the King from coming to the aid of his ally Bob. Oh well, worth a try.
Enlarge Image

Speaking of the Iberian Struggle, of which you can take a gander at the wiki page if you like, I have transitioned from the Opportunity Phase, which I had posted an image previously, repeated just below. The Struggle could have gone from Opportunity to either Hostility or Conciliation, depending on the actions taken by all the rulers involved in the Struggle:
Enlarge Image

Hostility narrowly beat out Conciliation. Now we are building up points for Compromise.
Enlarge Image

I've looked at the wiki page and I still don't really understand what is happening, other than ultimately it will end in one of three ways, but will require a ruler (maybe the player?) to effect that final way. The ultimate reward, besides what happens on the map, is 10,000 Renown points. However, it does make for an interesting alternative to the normal gameplay with new game rules (like buying a pre-emptive truce) to explore.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Meanwhile, I've continued to expand. I've conquered two sheikdoms (counties) in the north. I'm ready to take Galicia when I can (it's ruled by Bob) although I'll be facing a stronger combined army than before. The Taifa (duchy) in between, Kulumriyyua, is ruled by my nephew who is also my ally. As you may notice I'm going really flush with gold, being a famous ruler means I keep getting nearby rulers (who don't want to get attacked) dropping by to give me money.
Enlarge Image

Meanwhile, it's time to marry off another son. The best choice is a sixteen year old whose father is only a sheikh, but he has over two thousand soldiers. He's on the other side of Iberia so we won't be running into one another and it also means that he won't be allied with one of my enemies.
Enlarge Image

And off to fight another war. Or rather, send off my troops and knights to do it, fighting is just too damn dangerous for me :roll:. I've called in all my allies, no point in taking a risk.
Enlarge Image

And that new spear I ordered has arrived!
Enlarge Image

My newest war is over pretty fast, as when I captured the capital of the emirate (duchy) I captured the ruler as well! If you look carefully at the War Score line, you'll see that battles contributed only 3%, capturing the capital 73%, but nabbing the ruler? That's a full 100% baby :wink:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have a new emirate (duchy) under my control, and so a new vassal. And he hates my guts. He wants a place on my council but he'll still hate me after that. He's also terrified of me, so he won't oppose me directly. That's a shame, I'd rather have him rebel and take him out that way than to have him scheme against me.
Enlarge Image

Here's another problem, my vassal and spymaster doesn't like me either. I don't really want a spymaster I can't trust, so he's out too. Actually after I kicked him from the spymaster job, the chancellor job opened up and I hired him for there. He still doesn't like me, but at least he can do less damage there.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, this is unexpected but very welcome. My nephew Emir Hani' who holds the Taifa (duchy) between parts of my kingdom has offered to become my vassal!
Enlarge Image

With him becoming my vassal the Malikate (kingdom) of Xenxir now is continuous all along the west coast of Iberia.
Enlarge Image
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Sounds like you're making progress! And what a nice spear! I had a court member who was inspired to make a banner, but it was underwhelming. Not sure I even displayed it but it's in with the other artifacts.

Brief update from my gameplay - In his mid-40s, and unexpectedly in the middle of a war with neighbors, old Aed passed on. Well, actually, he was murdered. No surprise, really, since he was so hated.

Enlarge Image

I don't know who was responsible for offing him, but his plan to install his son Robert as the new king of Alba worked like a charm. He lost five titles to his brothers, but wrapped up the expansion war, and is now able to start his rule with a clean slate and in a much better position than his father. But he's "shy" which means he gets stressed out whenever dealing with anyone in his role as king. I'm sure holding court is going to go well too. :roll:

As I'm going on vacation soon, this might be tabled until I get back, but it's a nice break point even if somewhat unexpected.