Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, the old emperor is still alive, but things are still happening. He now has a bastard son...
Enlarge Image

And in bigger news, my Player Heir, the senior son Prince Errard, has died.
Enlarge Image

And who is my new Player Heir? His one year old son Duke Eadfrith, the grandson of the current emperor :roll:. Yup, he's a duke, actually holds two duchies and four holdings.
Enlarge Image

And if the grandson should suddenly perish :ninja: , who is the next Player Heir? Why, his (evil?) uncle and the second son of the current Emperor, Prince Hrodberht, or Prince Hotrod as we like to call him :wink:
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Things are happening fast. I decided to strip a duchy and two holdings from the grandson. He doesn't like it, but he's a one year old, he doesn't have much of a choice since those titles are the Emperor's de jure titles. So now that the Emperor has those titles, he can disinherit the grandson :wink:
Enlarge Image

And here's the new inheritance picture. The current liege Emperor Godimir has seventeen titles and eleven of them will pass on to the (now) oldest son Hotrod. Each of the two younger sons get three titles, but that includes one empire, one kingdom and a duchy to the number three two son, while number four three son gets three kingdoms. Again, those are above and beyond what they have now.
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I saved my current situation and then decided to try the double disinherit move, leaving my Player Heir as the sole inheritor of all the titles of the current Emperor. This also results in two annoyed brothers, but neither hold much power. We'll have to see if they can head factions to put them on the Templestany throne.
Enlarge Image

UPDATE: I'm stopping here for the night, I'm figuring a lot of things will be happening soon in the Empire of Templestan :wink: and I want to get a good night's sleep first.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:37 am UPDATE: I'm stopping here for the night, I'm figuring a lot of things will be happening soon in the Empire of Templestan :wink: and I want to get a good night's sleep first.
Yeah, that does sound like the calm before the storm. I really need to look into what my inheritance plan looks like for my Russian empire. My ruler is in his 50s I think, and everyone's happy with him (except the one old crone vassal who rebelled and is still living in my dungeon years later). He's not at death's door yet, but I'll need time to take action if it's going to be a messy split.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:19 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:37 am UPDATE: I'm stopping here for the night, I'm figuring a lot of things will be happening soon in the Empire of Templestan :wink: and I want to get a good night's sleep first.
Yeah, that does sound like the calm before the storm. I really need to look into what my inheritance plan looks like for my Russian empire. My ruler is in his 50s I think, and everyone's happy with him (except the one old crone vassal who rebelled and is still living in my dungeon years later). He's not at death's door yet, but I'll need time to take action if it's going to be a messy split.
In my last playthrough, having multiple sons inherit under Confederate Partition succession led to a fracturing of my realm and lots of wars. I'm still a bit confused as to why the devs made it possible to, what I consider, work around the Confederate Partition succession so easily by using the Disinherit option. As you can see from the previous image, the Player Heir now has one brother with a +100 opinion of him and the other with a +16. Giving that latter brother a duchy might bring up that opinion quite a bit. So when the old Emperor dies it is likely there won't be any sibling fighting at all.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And as expected the old Emperor died and Hotrod is the new emperor.
Enlarge Image

And also as expected, my new Archbishop doesn't like me (so no gold :?), there are two factions who want things and I have too many duchies and too many holdings. Sheesh!
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I knew this was going to happen, the Liberty Faction wants me to lower Crown Authority back to Autonomous Vassals. I'd love to go tell them where to shove it, but their faction has 14 members and the weakest member has over a thousand troops. Time to suck it up and let them have their way... for now :ninja:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It finally had to happen. The Independence Faction and I have been fighting a war for several years and I've been losing. Continuing to fight the war is just going to sap my grandeur and my treasury. I'm going to surrender the red territories and let them be independent.
Enlarge Image

The new Templestan. My realm went from 320 counties to 175 :(
Enlarge Image

At least now the expectations of court grandeur are less:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've let my military get back up to full count and got some gold from the Pope, then attacked Bavaria and got it back into my empire. I increased my county count from 175 to 185.
Enlarge Image

With a smaller realm there are now lowered expectations for my Royal Court and I've now achieved the target level; no more penalties for having court grandeur less than the target.
Enlarge Image

I'm now back to the situation that my father faced, of having four sons who need to inherit. However, I've now three times (is that right?) in the past gone through the process of disinheriting all but one son so only that one inherits all the titles. And then, because of the lowered opinion of a new ruler, there are faction uprisings and all sorts of mischief. This time I might just let the titles be distributed as listed and see how the works out.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ah, the children! Eight all told, seven living with five of them boys who will split the inheritance. It's going to be... interesting
Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, they all seem to love papa.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:46 am Well, they all seem to love papa.
As well they should! With the latest war complete I've added the Duchy of Burgundy to my realm, now with 237 counties. That's a lot of titles to divide up.
Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s time to take over the Pope.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hear Avignon is nice.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:08 am
As well they should! With the latest war complete I've added the Duchy of Burgundy to my realm, now with 237 counties. That's a lot of titles to divide up.
Enlarge Image
Are any Emperor-level titles getting split up? That is, would anything be leaving Templestan altogether?
Black Lives Matter.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:54 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:08 am
Enlarge Image
Are any Emperor-level titles getting split up? That is, would anything be leaving Templestan altogether?
I have two Empire level titles, Templestan and Francia (see first image below, which are the de jure Empires, not as they necessarily are). According to the succession page, they go to two different sons. So there still would be a Empire of Templestan, but it would be much smaller. Right now my Player Heir, with three other sons also inheriting as well, would end up with the titles of Empire of Templestan, Kingdoms of Burgundy and Germany, four duchies (and he would have to give up two) and eight holdings (of which he would have to give up two as well). However, If you look at the second image, which represents the actual current realms, you'll notice that most of the Empire of Francia is held by my neighbor Aquitaine, so the son inheriting the title of Emperor of Francia isn't getting anywhere near the whole empire.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Zarathud wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:11 am It’s time to take over the Pope.
Nope, not going to attack the guy who sends me almost a thousand gold every few years. It would be like attacking Santa Claus :D

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that there are now only four sons inheriting rather than five. I had a court action (one of those pop-up actions, not one that you see when you Hold Court) that presented me with decisions regarding a son who might be gaining the Drunkard trait, as well as the Dull trait. One of the four options was to disinherit the son. It had very little cost, just 50 Renown. There were other options, but they weren't guarantees and this was a cheap way to cut the inheritance pool by one.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:05 am UPDATE: Forgot to mention that there are now only four sons inheriting rather than five. I had a court action (one of those pop-up actions, not one that you see when you Hold Court) that presented me with decisions regarding a son who might be gaining the Drunkard trait, as well as the Dull trait. One of the four options was to disinherit the son. It had very little cost, just 50 Renown. There were other options, but they weren't guarantees and this was a cheap way to cut the inheritance pool by one.
Enlarge Image
I got a reminder on this son that he is now of the age to marry. It occurs to me that he might be a threat to others of the family. He has a rating of zero when it comes to Intrigue and so I don't really want him to be married to someone who might help him scheme. Since I have a hook on him, I pressure him to become a monk. He can't marry or accept titles, so now he is much more out of the picture.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Well, I booted up the game to how my succession plan was set up. My player heir looks promising. But. He has two younger brothers who would inherit parts of the kingdom. That will really bug me. So I disinherited the one with little trouble. But I couldn't take care of the youngest son because of a lack of dynasty points (whatever they're called...). But they were replenishing quickly. As my king was only 53, it looked likely that I would be able to disown the youngest son without too much trouble.

Oops. The king died unexpectedly and the kingdom got carved up. Not wanting to deal with that, I saved, and will either roll back progress by loading up the previous save (and seeing if the king will last longer). Or I'll just deal with the chaos and see if I can clean things up.

More likely, I may retire my Russian empire having learned many lessons about how it all works. I'd like to try a different location and maybe a different time period. For someone who was really looking forward to the Royal Court DLC - I've yet to be able to use it in game. :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It took me 32 years to go from my first county to being able to form a royal court, but I was already starting with a feudal society. I've put in almost 100 hours on this playthrough(!) and have gone through 217 game years. And I'm rather burned out on the routine of maintaining a large empire and passing it down each time to a single successor. So I think I'll keep going on this path of having four successors and see what develops.

I've also found that with this size of an empire, starting a war to pick up a single county isn't worth the trouble. Better to look for opportunities to get a duchy or kingdom. Also, because my men-at-arms regiments are so large, I also don't feel the need to marry off my relatives to foreign potentates who will drag me into unwanted wars. Better to marry them to relatives of my powerful vassals so I can make them allies and they can't join factions against me.

UPDATE: And make sure you pass on lots of gold to your Player Heir. There's going to be lots of fighting right away and it will be draining your war chest.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My character's last remaining sibling died:
Your brother, Prince Gauthier, died from the complications of flagellation.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I had a vassal who held the Duchy of Burgundy, but he gave me some grief. I tried to arrest him and he rebelled. However, because all my other vassals love me :D none joined him in the rebellion and I beat him, jailed him and took away his titles, which I gave to my grandson, the son of my Player Heir. Might as well keep them in the family :wink:

With the growing awesomeness of my reign three more rulers in Scotland and Ireland asked me to vassalize them, which I did. I then could create the Kingdoms of Scotland and Ireland, which I now hold. This now gives me <counts quickly> eleven kingdom titles. And I'm back to having 270 counties in my realm.
Enlarge Image

I'm seriously considering destroying the title of Emperor of Francia. I don't like the idea that when my character dies the two Empire titles get split between two descendants. The penalty is the loss of 1200 Prestige :roll: and that all de jure vassal of that Empire get a -25 opinion change towards me, but of my forty-eight vassals only a few have opinions of me that aren't in the high double digits. So I'll do a save game and give it a try.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've updated my Dynasty page to alter the emblem to match the emblem of the Empire of Templestan. I've also changed the dynasty motto, it will remind us to remain humble :wink:
Enlarge Image

I'm purposely not going to war if I can avoid it. I'm trying to put as much gold as possible in the war chest for my Player Heir. I'm up to 299 counties as neighboring rulers offer to become vassals to me.
Enlarge Image
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:38 am Ah, the children! Eight all told, seven living with five of them boys who will split the inheritance. It's going to be... interesting
He must feel he needs to live up to the name "Hotrod".
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:13 am
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:38 am Ah, the children! Eight all told, seven living with five of them boys who will split the inheritance. It's going to be... interesting
He must feel he needs to live up to the name "Hotrod".
:D

And Hotrod is nearing the end of his life and preparing the way for the upcoming four way split. The Pope just sent him more gold, over twelve hundred pieces :dance: , so the empire is in nice shape, as can be seen below. Ten allies, 35 titles and 51 vassals.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And Hotrod passes on, his eldest son Osraed becomes Emperor of Templestan
Enlarge Image

The in-game lineage display. You can move the slider at the bottom to show all the previous Player characters.
Enlarge Image

"The New Emperor". Osraed has only 17 titles as opposed to his dad's 35, and he has to drop one of his holdings. He has only 33 vassals instead of the previous 51. And he has only one living son and a daughter, so there is the concern about evil uncles going after the two heirs.
Enlarge Image

And here is Templestan. My decision to destroy the title of Empire of Francia was a good one. Since there is only one Empire level title, the eldest inheritor (Osraed) remains as the sole top level liege of all the 305 counties. As you might notice, my three brothers who inherited the other titles don't like Osraed much (Osraed is the Dick Smothers of the family). The only brother who likes Osraed was the one who was disinherited and forced to become a monk. Also my Patriarch can barely stand me, so I'm not getting much from the church in revenues. As usual, he becomes the first Sway target.
Enlarge Image

I'm sleepy and there are a lot of decisions to make, so I'm going to pick this up again tomorrow.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So last time I played, King Stanislav, died an early death and succession was a mess. I had three sons and wasn't able to disinherit quickly enough.

This time, I disinherited the middle son Andrei quickly so I'd have enough time to rebuild the dynasty points I'd need to disinherit Rodislav, the 10 year old. Andrei grew bored and was going to leave my court, but I granted him a title/county (Moskva) and he was happy again. This time, Stanislav did hang around longer, but to complicate matters, the queen became pregnant (again!). If she delivered another son, there would be no way that I could disinherit him too. Suspense!

Well all ended well:

Enlarge Image

I disinherited the Rodislav. The queen delivered another daughter (the 4th or 5th I think). Stanislav died, and King Roman took over. No titles lost!

In addition, I was able to break up a huge empire to the east Khazaria. Here's what it looked like a few years earlier:

Enlarge Image

It made Novgorod look tiny, though we have more troops than they do. But still scary. Here's where things stand as Roman takes over:

Enlarge Image

Not nearly as bad, and the smaller western territories, between my lands and Khazaria are the ones I need to establish the Russian Empire. So that's looking good too. King Roman will have to address the usual issues, like low vassal opinion and having too many titles. But I'll tackle all of that next time.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

That early low vassal opinion really does make things dicey, doesn't it? I've found one good tactic prior to the old king dying is to raise Crown Authority. When the succession happens there will be a faction wanting to lower that authority. Wait until they send their final demand then acquiesce. Those vassals won't be able to join other factions for awhile. Or at least that's how I think it works. Anyway, it has saved my bacon at least once.

When I continue playing today I'll have several duchy titles to distribute, as well as one holding and four council seats. I always end up using scratch paper and a lot of lines and boxes to try to figure out how to keep folks from rebelling without giving any individual too much. And now I have three brothers to keep happy as well.

By the way, there is something wrong with your maps, I don't see Templestan anywhere :wink:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I played a tiny bit more before taking a break to eat. It turns out - the low vassel opinion situation isn't that bad this time around. Maybe that's because Roman is skilled in the diplomacy lifestyle track? It doesn't seem particularly helpful with my long term plans, but I chose it for him since he was getting a 40% bonus in it. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, once the queen started using her skills of stewardship (that's why I married her), Roman was able to hold an additional title. So I only had to spin off two territories. I sent one to a harmless courtier, and another to one of my champions who has served me well (or at least served Stanislav well). Putting the powerful vassals on the council helped a lot, and they're actually competent at their jobs. A little swaying here. I forgot that I can give them some monetary gifts if needed. Bottom line is that it doesn't look like it will be a big deal.

I'm currently in an ally's war, but I participated early and then drew back my troops. The ally is losing, so hopefully he's admit defeat. Then I'll turn my attention to expanding the empire.

And yeah, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that Templestan guy. I hear he's cutthroat!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

After the ascension of my new Emperor, I spent some time figuring out who to keep happy and how to appease the powerful vassals. Well, it wasn't quite a waste of time, but a few months after gaining the throne I had two factions ready to rise up. One was the Independence Faction, seven vassals who wanted to go off by themselves, and a faction that wanted to put one of my brothers on my Emperor's throne :?. Two of the three landed brothers supported that scheme :roll:.

The Independence Faction launched first, but after one of it's members dropped out. I called up all my allies and by happy chance captured the leader of the faction in my first siege, ending the war. I am in the process of stripping most of the titles away from those rebellious vassals and giving them to courtiers who are older and single and therefore when they die the titles will pass back to me :wink:.

While the war was going on I saw that the Faction to replace me on the throne lost power, primarily by my two brothers dropping out of it :ninja:. Not quite sure what to make out of that. Meanwhile, the one other landed brother who didn't join that faction just happened to be with my army. Seeing an opportunity, now with the war over, I've sent him with a levee of two soldiers to go stop a Viking raid. Hope nothing happens to him... :wink:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Vassals are fun. One of Stanislav's rebellious vassals is STILL locked up like 30 years later, even with Roman now king. She hates him more than his father. Serves her right!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, the Faction to kick my ass out of the Emperor's throne started up again and slowly gained strength:
Enlarge Image

Thankfully my wife has been popping out offspring these past few years so I've been on an arranged marriage frenzy, trying to line up enough allies. I did reasonably well.
Enlarge Image

Finally the ultimatum came. Funny thing is, while the ultimatum wants to put Leonard on the throne, he isn't one of the faction members, instead it is lead by our brother Eadgar. Check out those terms; Eadgar just changes who he is a vassal to. Leonard couldn't be all that happy about that
Enlarge Image

And so war is declared. You'll notice that they command just over fourteen thousand troops while my own forces are almost seventeen thousand and I have probably over ten thousand more in allies and dynasty members I can call up.
Enlarge Image

I'm going to be now so I'll be ready for the big war tomorrow :wink:. By the way, the Pope was giving my father loads of gold, but hasn't offered to give me anything yet. I even asked!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good luck to Emperor Offroad.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:36 am Good luck to Emperor Offroad.
Very good :D

I might actually use the "Execute" option on my brother when I catch him for rising up in rebellion. Never have done that before.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

How did Estonia manage to move itself to western Europe?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:15 pm How did Estonia manage to move itself to western Europe?
Practice!

It's still in the Baltic as well.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:15 pm How did Estonia manage to move itself to western Europe?
Good question, I'm not really sure. Once I get done with my rebellion, I intend to turn that land in more Templestan :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the rebellion is in full swing. At first look it seems like our sides are equal in the conflict.
Enlarge Image

But then I call up my allies. Ah, maybe my evil brother didn't think this through.
Enlarge Image

Wait, could my evil brother be my dumb evil brother? He's staying at his little castle just up the road :wink:
Enlarge Image
Now officially Emperor Offroad:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, well, well... it seems somebody thinks that attacking me was a bad idea! Signing a White Peace means that each vassal involved loses 30 opinion of me and can't join a faction for five years. So sign and wait five years for this to happen again? Or keep fighting? Release the dogs of war!
Enlarge Image

UPDATE: Wait a minute, the fine print (from the war page) says I can imprison every vassal involved and I get a Title Revocation Reason as well. Now that's a different story.
Enlarge Image

UPDATE to the UPDATE: I did a save and tried the White Peace, but it doesn't work because vassals will refuse to be imprisoned, so I'll have to go to war against them all over. So never mind, no White Peace. Again, release the dogs of war!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:24 pm
Now officially Emperor Offroad:
Enlarge Image
:wub:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the rebellion is officially over
Enlarge Image

And look at all those lovely prisoners.
Enlarge Image

I'm only allowed to use the Title Revocation Reason one time per prisoner, so I strip my rebellious brother of the Kingdom of Brittany, which also takes his only holding. Now, do I execute him? Trouble is that hit of -50 opinion points affects my relatives since he is my brother.
Enlarge Image

I was going to throw him in the dungeon, which results in only a -15 opinion penalty, but what's this? Apparently by taking that one holding, or maybe something else, he has no titles! And he is no longer in the succession plan. I'll leave him in house arrest for now. By the way, his other Kingdom titles went to his brother whom the faction was trying to put on the throne. By not joining the faction, that brother gained titles for free!
Enlarge Image