Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

Post by jztemple2 »

"The Impaler" got impaled? :D

Have a good time on your vacation!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A new developer diary focusing on some of the features of the new update which will be free to everyone: Development Diary #105: 1.7 "Bastion" Update
Hello and welcome to another Development Diary for Crusader Kings 3. Today I will talk a bit about the free 1.7 “Bastion” update and what new things it will bring to the game. Today we will not be talking about [REDACTED] which will be released together with the update.

The changes to Factions and AI have previously been covered in posts by @Servancour and @rageair and I will therefore not mention them again, but I recommend checking out their diaries if you missed them before: AI, AI, AI and Let's Talk Populist Factions
The updates discussed really add to the role playing aspects of the game. Character Memories will allow the player to review events of their own past and non-private histories of others.
Enlarge Image

Another is Relationship Reasons
Another addition coming with this update to further open up how things are connected in the game’s world is that we have wanted to make it clearer which characters are your friends, enemies, nemeses, etc, as well as clearer why a character has a special relationship with that particular character. This is accomplished by a new set of icons in the interface to highlight relationships.

Additionally whenever a relationship is formed the game notification will now not only say that it happened but also why it happened. The reasons for relationships will then always be visible in its tooltip: clearly telling you how they became friends, lovers, best friends, nemeses, etc. In cases where a more advanced relation (such as best friend or nemesis) exists we will show the reason for both the basic relationship and the more advanced one, so a best friend will keep track of both how you originally became friends and when you actually became best friends.

Finally, Revamped Childhood Events
Another thing that we wanted to revisit in order to improve on how we deal with characters in the game world is the revamping of all existing childhood personality events as well as the addition of 12 new ones. This will significantly alter what personality trait combinations are likely to appear and will open up some combinations that were previously impossible simply due to how the old events for growing up worked.
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A new DLC announcement, Announcing Crusader Kings III: Friends & Foes
Next week, you’ll have the chance to tell even more stories about how your oldest friend betrayed you or how you ruined your rival through decades of soap opera level scheming.

Friends and Foes is an Event Pack for Crusader Kings III that adds over a hundred events related to your characters’ relationships to those closest to their heart, or their throne. Strong friendships can grow from childhood into lifelong alliances, and formative memories could shape how you see the world around you.

Not to mention the challenges of keeping your large family in line.

This event pack will be available on September 8. We look forward to hearing about your new adventures and experiences.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I actually like content like this. Not sure how much I'm willing to pay for it though...Feels like something that should be added into, or a part of, a larger DLC. Calling it an "Event Pack" doesn't really change that IMO.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:47 pm I actually like content like this. Not sure how much I'm willing to pay for it though...Feels like something that should be added into, or a part of, a larger DLC. Calling it an "Event Pack" doesn't really change that IMO.
According to something I read a while ago, Paradox has changed up how they do DLCs for their Crusader Kings series. Rather than the old CK2 way of issuing bunches of smaller DLC that would each tweak or add rules plus add content, the idea was, starting with CK3, to issue fewer DLC. The top level expansions would be a big, expensive DLC, like Royal Court, that would make a significant change to the gameplay by adding a bunch of features and content. Then the next level down is smaller DLC like Northern Lords and Fate of Iberia that concentrate on specific regions and certain time periods. Finally there would be the lower level DLC like Friends & Foes that just add content, in this case lots of new events, rather than changing the gameplay. I think it makes more sense then the endless DLC for CK2, although it must be a bear to keep adjusting the game so that it can be played with whatever combination of DLC a player might have.

If you note the posts I made further up the page about the new, free update, I think that Paradox might be addressing that issue of trying to keep the game in sync for all players by moving some new features into free updates that will be mandatory for all players, since the update is free :wink:. I haven't heard anything about what their next new mega-DLC might be, or what smaller DLC we might see first. I do think this Friends & Foes DLC is a good idea, since with my 260 hours of game time (which is quite a lot for me) I've seen events showing up multiple times. This new DLC and the update might even encourage me to try yet another grand campaign :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Dev Diary #106: A Fistful Of Friends & Foes
Last time out Trin took you through some of the more mechanical changes, such as the memory system and viewer, the loyalty traits and some of our childhood event changes. Today I’ll walk you all through some of the flavour-driven content you can expect to find in the Event Pack, though we’ll also look at a neat little system we’ve mentioned in passing before towards the end.

We’ve been hard at work creating over 100 new standalone events for this pack, and at this point it probably behooves me to explain that when we say ‘over 100’ we mean something a little different than just counting out each individual event we’ve made. To avoid any grey areas, we count both big event chains and small, one-off events exactly the same. No matter if you’re counting a singular event or a behemoth 14-event long chain: as Gimli would put it, it still only counts as one. As such, whilst we’ve bandied around a figure of 100, you’ll all be getting quite a bit more than that!

All of the new events pertain to the relationships between characters in some fashion, meaning that all relationships - from lieges to vassals, from friends to spouses, from lovers to foes to… lover-foes - have new events tied to them, to greater or lesser degrees. I’m going to take you through some of the joyful and jocular, the serious and the sad, and of course the weird and the wacky of this pack.

Let’s begin by addressing an event or two that could bring your character happier times, shall we?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Today's the day! First a new DLC: Crusader Kings III: Friends & Foes is now available!
Beware, ruler - tread carefully with those you call friend or enemy; they are two sides of the same coin. Your relationships matter more than ever, and with Crusader Kings III: Friends & Foes, witness those closest to you come alive in the most intimate detail.

Over one hundred unique new experiences of medieval larger-than-life drama wait to be discovered in the new event pack. From rival noble houses holding lifelong grudges to childhood bullies, summer crushes, and spoiling spouses with lavish gifts. Your ruler’s everyday existence has never been more fraught - or more exciting - than with Crusader Kings III: Friends & Foes

False Friends and Open Enemies

Family, friends, and those out for your blood are fully brought to life in this rich and stirring event pack. Your ruler’s day-to-day is filled with a myriad of new events. Experience over one hundred player-driven stories involving childhood, memories, nemeses, wrangling unruly sons, or wooing your significant other with sumptuous attention. With a little help from your friends, uncover novel ways to become pals with those you hold dear or even achieve the coveted best friend status. Be prepared for ever more dangerous rivals, sharpening their vengeful knives to get back at you. Or pre-empt your nemesis with devious new options… if you dare.

Memories, Those Sweet Memories!

Know thy past to understand the present. Your characters will reminisce about their personal history with those closest to them, be it a romantic getaway or the painful humiliation that is the seed of a well-nurtured murder plot. Childhood is a place where happy memories rest… or not. Experience a character’s youth in full, from brutish bullies to wistful teenage love. Past deeds will not be forgotten. Be watchful of the wrath of rival noble houses, plotting to right a perceived wrong, even after many generations.

The Crusader Kings III: Friends & Foes event pack sets the mood with several new music pieces to accompany your ruler’s conspiring and scheming. New soundtracks are general, Western European, and Arabian-themed tunes.

And remember, your majesty: keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.
And wait, there's more! Development Diary #107: 1.7.0 "Bastion" Update Notes. There are way, way too many changes to cut and paste, so if you are interested just click the link :wink:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Bought it at Green Man Gaming for 13% off! Woo-hoo! Saved all of sixty some cents!

Do you know if the new events will trigger in current saves? Or do we need to start new games for it to integrate?

(Sorry - I didn't read the dev notes/promo pieces as I just got home from work).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:50 pm Bought it at Green Man Gaming for 13% off! Woo-hoo! Saved all of sixty some cents!

Do you know if the new events will trigger in current saves? Or do we need to start new games for it to integrate?

(Sorry - I didn't read the dev notes/promo pieces as I just got home from work).
Nope, I'm not sure, but I imagine there's no reason why they shouldn't. And I didn't see any mention of the inevitable "You must start a new game to see the events" that one would expect to see.

Hmm, I forgot about GMG, darn it, I could have used that sixty cents to, ah... put forward to the next DLC I buy? :whistle:
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Playing on XBOX, I really want to get into this game, but I keep hitting walls. When I play a strategy game, it's important to me to know why things are happening. I'm playing the early tutorial mission, and I'm at the point where the tutorial is pretty much turning me loose in the world. I thought I understood how claims worked, but, apparently, I just got a suggestion to declare war on my neighbor, the Earldom of Connacht. The game is telling me I have an unpressed claim on Connacht that can serve as my casus belli, but I can't figure out for the life of me why I have the claim.

Is there any place in the game that shows the player the basis for their existing claims? Seems like something obvious that should be there.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

And now, when I go ahead and try to declare war, as the game suggests, I can't. It lists my claim as a casus belli and sets out my objectives, but the Declare War button is greyed out. Frustrating.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kurth wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:33 pm And now, when I go ahead and try to declare war, as the game suggests, I can't. It lists my claim as a casus belli and sets out my objectives, but the Declare War button is greyed out. Frustrating.
Mousing over the declare war button doesn't help? Just because you have a casus belli doesn't guarantee you can declare war. There would be a number of reasons like having an existing treaty or something like that.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another big update dropped today, CK3 - "Robe" 1.8.0 Release & Changelog. Lots of changes in bug fixes, UI, game balance, etc. I haven't run the game seriously since June, maybe it's time to do another campaign. Let's see, I have only... 262 hours in the game? Sheesh, that makes it my all time leader on Steam:

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm trying to decide whether to start a campaign of this or EU4.
Black Lives Matter.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm about to jump back into this for either a new run, or a continuation of one of my last couple dynasties. The only reason I'm holding off is I have a new PC coming soon, and would rather start fresh on the new machine (despite it all being cloud saves or whatever, I know). But I've barely played since the Friends & Foes thing dropped. Add in some free patch content and an urge to boot it up, and it's just a matter of time. :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:42 pm I'm about to jump back into this for either a new run, or a continuation of one of my last couple dynasties. The only reason I'm holding off is I have a new PC coming soon, and would rather start fresh on the new machine (despite it all being cloud saves or whatever, I know). But I've barely played since the Friends & Foes thing dropped. Add in some free patch content and an urge to boot it up, and it's just a matter of time. :D
I'm in somewhat the same situation, I was waiting for something to trigger me to put in yet another several dozen hours on it :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Crusader Kings 3 makes it easier to abandon your unwanted bastard children
Crusader Kings 3's latest update is a doozy, a fat list of upgrades, fixes, and AI tweaks that diversify the medieval goings-on significantly. The 1.8 "Robe" update is free to everyone who owns the game, and spices up the system around reforming religions with some new visuals, then adds a bunch of new symbols for custom faiths.

As always, however, just reading Crusader Kings patch notes is hysterical. "Disinheriting is now free for children with a disputed heritage or known bastard," says the top-billing note under Game Balance. Because of course it should be, I guess. "Literalism is legal for all faiths to adopt," says another. Good to know.

Perhaps my favorite, however, is that the AI will now marry young men to old women less often. Sorry, cougars of the middle ages, "the weight of alliances and the impact of age has been rebalanced."

In the devs' defense, it's not an ageism problem or anything, it's game balance. Players would find that their heir could end up married off to some half-dead pensioner, leaving them without a way to continue their bloodline. And in Crusader Kings, if you're bloodlines over, you're out, that's it, game over. It was a persistent problem for just... playing the game at all.

There's also one big quality-of-life upgrade in here: "You can now always open the list of potential agents, even if none will accept to join the scheme. This can be used to, for example, plan who to seduce or fabricate hooks against to further your interests."

That's big for those who like to scheme and plot, since a tough part of scheme planning was often just figuring out who you had to bribe/befriend/bed to get things done.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Want to have a say in what is in the next Event Pack? Vote for one of the three being proposed by Paradox.
Potential Event Pack Themes:

Wards & Wardens
Take a deep dive into what being a child in the Middle Ages was actually like, and explore what guardianship meant in practical terms. Wards & Wardens would feature events revolving around childhood, being a guardian, children at court, and more.

Love & Lust
Let your love life take the reins! While lovers and spouses take on a larger role in Love & Lust, explore events related to more intimate relationships, expanded seduction, married life, and more.

Villains & Vagabonds
Leverage your fearsome reputation and learn what it truly means to be dreaded. Villains & Vagabonds will feature events embracing the consequences and opportunities of being a tyrant, while considering contrasting themes of fairness and honor.
Zarathud

Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

Post by Zarathud »

Those are all essentials. Collect the children of your enemies and allies as hostages. Truly villainous wretches will cruelly treat them, and hunt down your own bastard children as threats to the crown. Or force them into exile.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Announcement of the next expansion: CK3 Tours and Tournaments - The Vision
The life of a ruler was always active - there were many things to attend to, and most courts at the time were itinerant, roaming from place to place constantly. Tours and Tournaments aims to give rulers plenty of things to do, especially during times of peace, by introducing new systems of Travel and Grand Activities!

As mentioned in the Floorplan Dev Diary, we want to reinforce the connection between character and map - after all, the game is played on a beautiful medieval map, and no longer will the only time your ruler leaves the safety of their capital be when you’re at war. There’s an entire world out there to explore, filled with both great opportunities and adventurous obstacles.

By assembling an entourage, selecting options for your travel, and hiring a caravan master, you are ready to set out on the road and travel to activities across the world. The Travel system is an integral part of activities, with both the host and guests traveling to reach them - creating a stronger feeling of place as you see your route being plotted and your character moving directly on the map.

So what are these activities you can travel to, you ask? There’s plenty - firstly we’ve updated and revamped Feasts, Hunts, and Pilgrimages completely - the bread-and-butter of activities. There’s now a reason to hunt in a specific forest within your domain, as a ferocious wolf or legendary stag might have been spotted there - or a reason to hold a feast in a holding with leisure palaces, as you might need to impress a particularly unruly vassal. Pilgrimages will now be epic journeys, potentially taking years if you’re going far - making it necessary for a regent to rule in your stead. All activities have dedicated interfaces with easily-accessible information and beautiful art to set the scene.

Of course, there are Grand activities that are even more impactful - each of them different in their own magnificent way! They have Options and Intents which affect rewards and what type of content you might encounter. Our aim is to make each activity have a clear purpose and be interesting in its own right, therefore we chose to make Grand Tournaments, Grand Tours, and Grand Weddings - three vastly different activities with vastly different executions and purposes!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And a screenshot from the upcoming expansion... oh dear!

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I have studied the Middle Ages professionally for decades and couldn't name a single occurrence of a "Bloody Wedding." Like, I get it, GOT fans rejoice, but it just isn't representative of something common in history.

I'm not saying it NEVER happened, but it didn't happen often.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Medium: The Really Real Bloody Wedding
But few weddings, if any, can rival the nuptials-turned-massacre of Astorre Baglioni and Lavinia Colonna on July 15, 1500, in Perugia, Italy.
The minor members of the Baglioni Bunch, led by Grifonetto Baglioni, seized the opportunity of a large family gathering to establish their dominance. They began slaying the others in attendance, leaving a trail of screams and limbs and blood. A real mess for somebody to clean up, that’s for sure.

But they saved the best for the groom, Astorre. The Baglioni Bunch cut his chest open and ripped out his heart, denying his bride her right to do so slowly, over a period of decades.
Over 200 people were dead when the Baglioni killing spree ended. But there were no victory celebrations for Grifonetto and his posse. They made the monumental — and fatal — mistake of leaving survivors.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

1500?! That's practically MODERN. :D

A quick Google search got that the Red Wedding was based on The Black Dinner, which was perpetrated by King James II of Scotland against Clan Douglas in 1440. So... still pretty late medieval and not a wedding.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More info on the upcoming expansion... Dev Diary #119: Tours and Travel
Hello! My name is Chad and this is my premiere here on the forums. We’re really excited to kick off a series of dev diaries showing off all the work we have put into Tours and Tournaments. To briefly reiterate a bit of what was covered in our last dev diary, the Tours & Tournaments Expansion will provide a comprehensive rework of the Activity system. Not only have we reworked Feasts, Hunts, and Pilgrimages, but we have added brand spanking new Grand Activities: Tours (also in this dev diary), Tournaments, and Grand Weddings! Along with this rework comes the new Travel System (which I’ll be talking about in more detail today) and the long-awaited Regencies feature–both free additions. You can expect to hear more about all these additions in subsequent dev diaries!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm reading a book now on the rise and fall of Prussia, a kingdom whose origins fit nicely into this game. Well, the first two iterations, anyway; I've not played the third. But now I'm feeling like I want to. If only I had time to play.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another new article, Dev Diary #120 - Systemic Refinements. I'm really looking forward to this new update.
Today, we’ll take a look at some of the smaller but numerous changes we’ve made to various systems, as well as some of the more notable quality-of-life changes. We want the game to stay challenging and immersive, especially now that we’re providing a host of new tools to deal with, for example, Vassal dissatisfaction - but we also want to tackle older balance issues, while weaving new solutions into upcoming changes! Of course, this includes us looking at a lot of community feedback from previous rounds of balancing (such as when we updated how the AI built Buildings in the Friends & Foes update).

In this Diary, we will delve into Vassal Stances, Men-at-Arms Stationing, Domain Limit Rebalancing, the Building Slot Revamp, Rebalanced & New Buildings, the Improved Personality Tooltip, Rich Presence, Destroying Artifacts/Aniconism, and Improvements to the Current Situation. Grab a beverage of your choice and get comfortable, this is going to be a long one!

There’s a lot to get to (and this isn’t everything that’ll be in the update - just a generous sample!), so without further ado:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Dev Diary #121 – An Active Life
I’m Matthew (@blackninja9939), one of the Programmers on the team, and today we’re going to be talking about the overhaul we’ve done to the activity system as well as the improvements to two existing activities; Hunts and Pilgrimages. We’ll be covering the other improved existing activities (Feasts, Blot now known as Festival, and Playdates) in the future as well.

I’m gonna kick things off with how we’ve changed the activity system to better support our goals.

On release activities were little more than a random event chain, they never felt as involved or interesting as we had wanted them to be; you had very little agency over what was actually going to happen in your activity when planning one or when your guests arrived and it was not very clear to see how your activity was actually progressing as you played.

First of all we’ve moved activities out of the decisions menu and into their own dedicated list in the UI, this list is where you’ll see the activities you can host, any ongoing activities you can join, as well as your current activity too. You can also see your current activity in the HUD as well.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More CK3 news, Dev Diary #122: Regencies and Elegance of the Empire. It's quite a long article, but interesting.
Welcome, comrades! First up today we’ll be talking about a subject _very_ dear to my heart, and that’s regencies — what happens when you can’t effectively rule your realm, either because you’re out travelling or because you are a small baby with lacking social skills.
And now some update on new releases for CK3 in the Steam store, added by a couple of helpful images. This is for the newly announced Chapter II which is available for pre-order.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another DD, Dev Diary #123 – Hastiluding for Glory
Hello everyone, and welcome to Developer Diary#123! We are your hosts: Elisabeth, also known as Oxycoon - a programmer on Crusader Kings 3; Nick, also known as Noodle - a designer on Crusader Kings 3; and Jon, also known as… just Jon - a 2D UI artist on Crusader Kings 3, and today we are discussing Grand Activities. Specifically the Grand Tournament.

Visions of a Cloth of Gold​

The commonly-held concept of a Medieval tournament is pretty straightforward. Knights in glittering armour, pennants streaming from their lances. A gallop, a tilt, a crash, and a victor saluting the crowd. It’s an evocative image, but it’s also quite narrow in its application. CK3 isn’t just about a High Medieval western European knight on his charger: it’s also about the Indian archer taking aim at a target, the Persian wrestler throwing his opponent to the floor, the steppe horseman thundering around a course. Our scope is wide and encompasses so many cultures, so what we offer with a Tournament must also encompass this rich and varied tapestry of humanity.

This is a very long article, but it has lots of information about the upcoming Tours & Tournaments DLC which will release May 11. Honestly I was a bit unsure if I was going to get this DLC but now that I've read this article (plus the previous ones) this is going to be a mandatory one for me. The DLC can be gotten as a standalone:

...or you can just order the Chapter II bundle which besides the Tours & Tournaments DLC will also include a flavor pack, an event pack and a (free) costume pack at a 27% discount.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Dev Diary #124 - Celebrate Good Times (Come On): Of Weddings, Feasts, and Other Merry-Making​
Today’s town crier, bringing you news about royal marriages, is game designer Areysak. Following that, my colleagues will take over to introduce today’s other topics: Bloody Weddings, Feasts, Grand Blots, Grand Rites, and Playdates. We have a packed day, filled with exciting activities, so let’s get started!
Later in the article, besides bloody weddings, we also learn about murder feasts :shock:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Tours & Tournaments - Feature Breakdown
Less than a week to the release of Tours & Tournaments!

On May 11, you will be able to travel through your realm to check on your vassals. Attend royal weddings to demonstrate your loyalty to a distant lord. Or, if you are brave enough, enter competitions of body or mind in tournaments. As always, there are no guarantees, and danger still lurks around every corner. But with great risk, comes great renown...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer, Crusader Kings 3's Tours & Tournaments DLC looks like a minor expansion but is actually one of the series' best, and close to essential. I'm still playing Satisfactory right now, but I'll be getting into T&T soon. There have been a couple of fixes for T&T so far, nothing too earth shattering, but it might be worth waiting a week or two more for the dust to settle.
Between the glamorous weddings, lavish feasts and thrilling hunts with the lads, it's a wonder I have any time to write about Crusader Kings 3 (opens in new tab)'s Tours & Tournaments expansion, which launched at the end of last week. My social calendar is filled to the brim, and the anecdote generator is on fire.

Tours & Tournaments is a granular expansion with a big impact. It takes events like those mentioned above and turns them into much more elaborate storytelling aids and denser systems, giving what would have once been some pop-ups a greater sense of importance and adventure. And in many cases this starts with the journey to the event, as your ruler must physically travel across the map with an entourage, potentially getting into entertaining scrapes.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I purchased that bundle of new content. So I have T&T DLC ready to roll. I've come really close to pulling the trigger on a new playthrough, but have just been busy. This review is encouraging though. Maybe this weekend.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I said I was going to wait, but I'm done for now with Satisfactory and so I fired up CK3 to just poke around and realized that it was June of last year when I last played, that was the Fate of Iberia expansion. I figure I'm rusty so I just spend an hour or so replaying the tutorial. I remembered most of it but some parts were a bit hazy. I wasn't sure if I was going to stay with it, but something happened that didn't happen last time. During the tutorial portion I got married and my wife became pregnant. Now, just after the tutorial ended and I was on my own, I got the news that both wife and new son died in childbirth :shock:. So I think I might just stay with this saved game and see what happens.

Enlarge Image

This game really is a challenge for trying to get up to speed, where the first time or on a replay, but I remember a rule of thumb that had occurred to me before, to not overthink or angst over decisions, just give it a try.
Holman

Post by Holman »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:11 pm This game really is a challenge for trying to get up to speed, where the first time or on a replay, but I remember a rule of thumb that had occurred to me before, to not overthink or angst over decisions, just give it a try.
Yeah, it's really more fun when you think of it as a role-playing game.

I used to be reluctant to make evil choices, but now I let myself be guided by my character's traits rather than my own.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm still playing my initial ruler. I created the Kingdom of Ireland so I have my Royal Court, but I'm not flush enough with money to try anything from the new T&T expansion yet. I have managed to make an alliance with King Malcolm II of Scotland, which is bad because I still had two counties to gain on the Irish island, but now at least I don't have to worry about him deciding to attack me. My one and only son finally had a son, but it would be nice to have a spare.

Enlarge Image

I had forgotten how much fun this game is to play, events pop up, things to decide, wars to fight (but only occasionally) and schemes to, ah, scheme :?.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a video of the first hunt I've undertaken in Crusader Kings 3 since the new Tours & Tournaments expansion was released. Previously going on a hunt would result in just a few decision screens popping up, but as can be seen there is a lot more to a hunt now. This was about the simplest hunt possible, close to my palace and no frills, but there was still a lot to consider and enjoy.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I started up a new playthrough last night, and while I didn't re-play the tutorial, I did pick one of the Irish rulers and have been picking up pieces of the isle in small wars. All of that was very much the "usual" CK3 experience. And nothing too interesting happening with this cast of characters.

However, I too went on a short hunt, primarily because my Ruler had gotten stressed trying to develop his home county. (I underestimated the impact that would have on his stress level. Oops!). So I went on a hunt for "relaxation" but was intrigued that there's another handful of reasons why you can undertake the hunt, with accompanying changes to all of the game data/values. Also jz is exactly right - it's very much fleshed out. I mean, in the base game, there might be 2 or 3 "events" triggered and for this one, there were a dozen. And you can choose who accompanies you, choose where to hunt (with varying chances of success), and, at least for me, I got an inventory item when all was said and done. It was very fun, and my ruler came out stress-free.

I have not had the gold to attempt any of the bigger events. I did receive an invitation to a tournament, but when calculating for travel, I wasn't going to make the tournament in time. Maybe next invite.

Will probably play more today. We'll see if anything interesting happening.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Well that didn't go as plan.

Enlarge Image

Started up a little war, and ended up getting thumped. I feel like there's a combat aspect I didn't take into account, because my troops outnumbered his, and his military was "inferior" to mine. But he had three little diamonds for his army icon, and I had two. Add in other variables and things ended... poorly.

I surrendered, and could continue, or I might just "re-roll" and start again.