Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by malchior »

Now Georgia is passing laws that specifically protect Dear Leader and interfere with the investigatory process. It also mirrors some of the powers Florida granted to DeSantis that he used to remove a prosecutor for being "woke".

Slate - Can Georgia Republicans Really Fire a Prosecutor for Indicting Trump?
Having tried and failed to interfere in Georgia’s 2020 presidential election, Donald Trump’s allies are now attempting to interfere with the ongoing grand jury investigation into that earlier misconduct. The Republican majority of the Georgia House approved a bill this week that would create a commission with the power to investigate, discipline, and even remove locally elected district attorneys for conducting investigations that are deemed “politically motivated.” The Georgia Senate passed a nearly identical bill last week.

If enacted into law, the Georgia legislation would empower the commission to interfere with active investigations like the one Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis is conducting into Trump. Not surprisingly, the likes of Lt. Gov. Burt Jones, a leader of the Trump false elector effort in the 2020 election being investigated by Willis, enthusiastically supports the bill. Gov. Brian Kemp should refuse to sign it—but if the bill becomes law, the courts will still have ample reason to throw it out.

The Georgia House bill provides that prosecutors can be removed from office by the “Prosecuting Attorneys Qualifications Commission” for “willful misconduct” or “conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice which brings the office into disrepute.” (Whatever that means.) This vague language—that could encompass any controversial high-profile case—is just one problem with the bill. The commission can receive complaints from anyone (including complainants outside of a judicial circuit), creating a possible revolving door of complaints. The commission could even investigate district attorneys merely for making charging decisions where a complainant alleges “it is likely” the district attorney made a decision because of factors “unrelated to the duties of prosecution.” (Again, whatever that means.) The commission can also sanction a district attorney for a policy that “categorically refuses to prosecute any offense … of which he or she is required by law to prosecute”; that is making ordinary decisions to prioritize some prosecutions over others. The Senate version of the bill requires only a “plausible” allegation of the supposed transgressions.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jenna Ellis is the one who sat right next to Rudy G when he farted during (dishonest) Congressional testimony.

I'm starting to imagine a punishment that fits the crime.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Say what you will, but Rudy has provided this country with countless hours of comedy.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

CNN
Fulton County investigators have an audio recording of a phone call that former President Donald Trump made to the Georgia House speaker to push for a special session to overturn Democrat Joe Biden’s 2020 victory in the state, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The Fulton County special grand jury, which investigated Trump’s actions in the state after the 2020 election, heard the recording of Trump’s call to David Ralston, according to five of the jurors who spoke anonymously to the AJC. A source confirmed to CNN the existence of the recording, which hasn’t been made public.

The recording adds to what’s known about the pressure campaign by Trump and his allies on Georgia officials. It’s the third audio recording of the former president’s phone calls to Georgia officials that is known to exist.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier

Post by stessier »

The actual malice part is the other half of the standard, though. They could still get nothing if they can't show that.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

Looks like Dominion is going to have a clear field to focus on actual malice and a ton of evidence to support them. I imagine Fox is looking for an offramp quick.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:33 pm Looks like Dominion is going to have a clear field to focus on actual malice and a ton of evidence to support them. I imagine Fox is looking for an offramp quick.
This is what I was going to reply with. Yeah, they absolutely still have to prove malice, but now they effectively get a free pass on the rest, right?
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is all just headlines so far but Fox settles. Agrees to pay Dominion ~$787M. They may have admitted guilt and the judge ordered a Special Master to investigate Fox's production of evidence. More than a flesh wound but not too significant an injury.

Edit: Ugh. That statement is messed up. But this whole country is a whole mess so it's par for the course. Good for Dominion shareholders I guess.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, it's disappointing. But one downside of having this litigated by a private party is that the private party is unlikely to turn down a good settlement because of public policy reasons.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:37 pm Yeah, it's disappointing. But one downside of having this litigated by a private party is that the private party is unlikely to turn down a good settlement because of public policy reasons.
Heck they probably can't! I would be completely unsurprised if I would have heard Fox was broadcasting to Dominion board members about their offer over the open airwaves. :)

Edit: I just saw the Dominion lawyers questioned by reporters about whether the settlement only included money. They did not answer. That doesn't mean much but I am prepared to find out they basically took the money and run...damn the country. To paraphrase, "money is accountability". Sure.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:24 pm Good for Dominion shareholders I guess.

It's private. Staple Street Capital I think?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah definitely private. I assume it is a Corporation underneath still.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:09 pm Yeah definitely private. I assume it is a Corporation underneath still.
Probably just a handful of owners. I think it has some former Carlyle guys.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:16 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:09 pm Yeah definitely private. I assume it is a Corporation underneath still.
Probably just a handful of owners. I think it has some former Carlyle guys.
Delightful. It is appropriate for this hell-blasted nation that a moment of real accountability is stolen away to stuff some money in some other rich guys pockets.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And good ol' Mikey Lindell just lost 5 million.
My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell has been ordered to shell out $5 million to an expert who debunked his data related to the 2020 election, according to a decision by the arbitration panel obtained by CNN.

Lindell, a purveyor of election conspiracies, vowed to award the multimillion-dollar sum to any cyber security expert who could disprove his data. An arbitration panel awarded Robert Zeidman, who has decades in software development experience, a $5 million payout on Wednesday after he sued Lindell over the sum.

“Based on the foregoing analysis, Mr. Zeidman performed under the contract,” the arbitration panel wrote in its decision. “He proved the data Lindell LLC provided, and represented reflected information from the November 2020 election, unequivocally did not reflect November 2020 election data. Failure to pay Mr. Zeidman the $5 million prized was a breach of the contract, entitling him to recover.”
There isn't a pillow big enough to give that man comfort now. He's about to lose every single penny he has. This was just the first salvo of lawsuits. :wub:

And guess who won't help him out?

You guessed it.

Trump.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fantastic news. Sue the bastards into oblivion.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

CNN
In mid-January 2021, two men hired by former President Donald Trump’s legal team discussed over text message what to do with data obtained from a breached voting machine in a rural county in Georgia, including whether to use it as part of an attempt to decertify the state’s pending Senate runoff results.

The texts, sent two weeks after operatives breached a voting machine in Coffee County, Georgia, reveal for the first time that Trump allies considered using voting data not only to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, but also in an effort to keep a Republican hold on the US Senate.
“We only have until Saturday to decide if we are going to use this report to try to decertify the Senate run-off election or if we hold it for a bigger moment,” Penrose wrote, referring to a potential lawsuit.

Newly obtained surveillance video shows a Republican county official and a team of operatives working for Trump 2020 attorney Sidney Powell inside a restricted area of the elections office in Coffee County Georgia. Portions of this image were obscured to protect the identity of people unnamed in the report.

The plot to breach voting systems in Coffee County, coordinated by members of Trump’s legal team including Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell, is part of a broader criminal investigation into 2020 election interference led by Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis.
malchior

Post by malchior »

GOP political officials in upstate NY charged with election fraud. The article details a *lot* of alleged shenanigans. Much of the actual election fraud and cheating is coming from...the people whining the loudest about it.
Three Rensselaer County government officials including Richard W. Crist, the county’s director of operations, have been indicted on federal criminal charges alleging they used fraud and intimidation to obtain absentee ballots in the names of voters for primary and general elections in 2021.

Crist and James R. Gordon, director of the county’s Bureau of Central Services, as well as Leslie A. Wallace, a longtime political consultant who is listed in public records as an “assistant for constituent relations” in the office of county Executive Steve McLaughlin, turned themselves in to the FBI at its Albany headquarters on Thursday morning.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Andrew T. Baxter, after entering not guilty pleas into the record, released them with conditions that include restricting their travel to the United States. He also gave the three defendants a stern warning against trying to influence or intimidate any witnesses, many of whom are county employees that they may supervise. If that happens, “you’re going to have serious problems with me going forward,” the judge told them.

Crist is a former news reporter and longtime GOP political operative in Rensselaer County who has wielded enormous influence in local politics and for many years has been McLaughlin’s political confidant. Wallace is a former Republican legislative aide in the state Assembly and Senate who also has a private political consulting business. Gordon is a former Troy mayoral candidate and a member of the North Greenbush Town Board.

The charges include allegations that the trio conspired to use their official positions to violate the constitutional rights of subordinate county employees to intimidate them into requesting and filing absentee ballots, according to federal prosecutors.

The FBI’s investigation had recently focused on campaign work and voting by county employees who work under the direction of Gordon and Crist, who has served as a political consultant for local and state officials, including several judges.

The ongoing investigation has focused on the actions of multiple Republican officials and has been led by the U.S. Justice Department and special agents with an FBI white-collar crime and public corruption unit in Albany. It had already led to the guilty pleas of former Troy Councilwoman Kimberly Ashe-McPherson and Jason T. Schofield, the county’s former Republican elections commissioner.

Schofield pleaded guilty in January to 12 counts of unlawfully using the names and dates of birth of voters to fraudulently apply for absentee ballots for elections held in 2021. He resigned before pleading guilty and is scheduled to be sentenced in September. He testified before the grand jury that indicted Crist, Gordon and Wallace.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The timing for this is exceptionally poor for me. I just sold my fainting couch 3 days ago.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Swell...

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/2 ... g-00094433
The North Carolina Supreme Court has overturned its own past ruling that said partisan gerrymandering is illegal, clearing the way for Republicans there to redraw the state’s congressional lines in a way that heavily favors the GOP.
Up to four blue seats could be at risk.
Last edited by Alefroth on Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

If you can't win elections you rig them. Also curious to see if this will impact Moore v. Harper. At this point more and more electoral map making is just a game of watching the autocrats build walls of control in plain sight.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:57 pm Swell...

Wow. I thought that was on its way to being cleared in 2022 when we more or less won against gerrymandering in my state.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If we don't elect a Dem governor next time, NC is going full Gilead. Mark my words. The NC GOP is among the most vile, corrupt and ruthless in the nation.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:03 pm

Wow. I thought that was on its way to being cleared in 2022 when we more or less won against gerrymandering in my state.
MI's return to democracy is a welcome advance, and it looks like WI might soon follow. Losing NC will be bad, but there are pickup opportunities elsewhere.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:58 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:03 pm

MI's return to democracy is a welcome advance, and it looks like WI might soon follow. Losing NC will be bad, but there are pickup opportunities elsewhere.
We have a ways to go but things have trending in the right direction ever since 2018. Maybe if we get the state moving in right direction enough and remove enough power from those who had seized it for far too long through back channels, a chunk of the population will gain their senses. Or maybe they'll move to more out there. I have no idea.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 pm Lin Wood is about the most stupid lawyer I’ve seen. He just posted a video on Twitter of the hearing after the judge explicitly ordered no videos be taken. He’s toast - can’t wait for the judge to hear about this.
Pro-Trump conspiracy theorist Lin Wood slapped with criminal contempt fines for ‘flagrant’ violation of ‘gag order’
Attorney Lin Wood, one of the most visible conspiracy theorists behind efforts to overturn the 2020 election results, has been found in contempt for violating an order keeping him from disparaging his former law partners.

“I can’t overlook the protracted and flagrant nature of the violation,” Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee said.

The judge imposed $5,000 in criminal contempt fines and hanged the prospect of $15,000 in civil contempt charges for future disparagement.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That'll be paid for by a donor.

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So what do you think would have happened if on January 6 Pence had rejected the legitimate electors and "certified" TFG's phony ones? Do you think Florida Man would have won the election? If it goes to the courts he would be the sitting President in the meantime.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:43 am So what do you think would have happened if on January 6 Pence had rejected the legitimate electors and "certified" TFG's phony ones? Do you think Florida Man would have won the election? If it goes to the courts he would be the sitting President in the meantime.
Bear in mind that he didn't really need Pence to certify false electors, just reject some legitimate ones. Once he rejects 37 that pushes Biden below 270 electoral votes, which puts the election into the House where the vote is by state, which Trump would almost certainly have won.

And yeah, probably a lawsuit by Biden / Democrats, but I'd say the odds are very high that SCOTUS would uphold it - would very likely write a decision that says "this is all Congress's business".

So yeah, probably Trump stays president. Though the wild card in that is that there would probably be mass protests - hard to predict what happens with that for sure.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Eastman’s hearing on the revocation of his law license is going to be interesting for sure:

https://apple.news/AXQMw6z_vSXKNIwhJqg3pAw
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Interesting that Brazil’s Supreme Court just slapped Bolsonaro (Brazil’s Trump) with an 8 year ban from running for any office due to his election fraud claims.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Brazil is smarter than us. That doesn't hurt at all. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You can't fire me -- I quit!
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

If he was a school teacher who had read his class a book about the science of rainbows he'd be pursued and banned even if he resigned and gave up his teaching license in advance.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Trump had called a press conference for Monday at 11:00 to reveal new proof of election fraud:

https://x.com/markhamill/status/1691549 ... NcXCfN8s1g

Should be fun! Can hardly wait!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

heh heh Mark Hamill said "May The Fourth" heh heh

I hear TFG will also be revealing his plan for the health care system that will be fixed in his first 100 days.

Is his presser going to be outside of the Four Seasons?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ah yes, the mountain of irrefutable evidence that Trump - being the master of subtlety that he is - has so closely guarded and kept silent about through this entire process...just so he could spring it on an unsuspecting DA after getting indicted.

4D chess moves that other can merely dream about.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have dreams of a honeypot where he was fed information by Russian operatives that was monitored and irrefutably bad.