Microsoft Teams and Sharepoint help

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Microsoft Teams and Sharepoint help

Post by stessier »

I have a Sharepoint site that I am displaying in Teams. I do so by adding a webpage and then adding a link to the relevant Sharepoint site. I can do everything I need to with the documents on the Sharepoint site except for Print. The documents are all under the List category in Sharepoint.

When I am using a web browser, the normal way I print is to use the "Return to classic Sharepoint" option and then open and print the documents. That "Return" option isn't available in Teams. I can get around that by using "Open in Sharepoint" in Teams, but that limits the usefulness of the page in the first place. Any ideas?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Re: Microsoft Teams and Sharepoint help

Post by hepcat »

There’s no way to print directly from Teams. You can just open the files in their desktop app if it’s a compatible format (word, excel, etc) and print from that, or download it and open and print if not (PDF).

Can I ask why open in sharepoint and return to classic sharepoint are that different for you? They require about the same number of steps, I believe.

Also, just a note: when you create a team, it also creates an underlying sharepoint site of the same name. Every channel you then create is a folder within the document library on that site. So if you just need sharepoint functionality, you don’t need to create a sharepoint site and then link it to teams. But if you have existing ones, you can do what you’re already doing.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:27 am There’s no way to print directly from Teams. You can just open the files in their desktop app if it’s a compatible format (word, excel, etc) and print from that, or download it and open and print if not (PDF).
Thanks. That was the conclusion I came to, but good to see validation.
Can I ask why open in sharepoint and return to classic sharepoint are that different for you? They require about the same number of steps, I believe.
The document we are opening is actually a form and modern sharepoint doesn't open it correctly. Classic sharepoint does - so we have to use Classic.

But after playing with Planner, I think I can make that work better and more seemlessly than our current system. Yay Teams!
Also, just a note: when you create a team, it also creates an underlying sharepoint site of the same name. Every channel you then create is a folder within the document library on that site. So if you just need sharepoint functionality, you don’t need to create a sharepoint site and then link it to teams. But if you have existing ones, you can do what you’re already doing.
I need to explore this more. I didn't know what I was doing and deleted some channels. When I went to recreate the channels, it said the names were already taken. Which I take to mean the underling sharepoint site still exists even though I deleted the channel. So it must be possible to resurrect it? And is it also possible to hard delete it so the name is free again?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As long as you didn’t delete the team itself, just go into any other channel and select open in sharepoint from that channel’s file tab. Then navigate up and find the folder you want to delete. That should free it up.

I dragged our folks into Teams last summer because they couldn’t figure out where anything was, things were so scattered. Teams has been great at getting them organized. It does have its limits though. Not being able to print from within a Team file site being one. Not being able to digitally sign PDFs/even open PDFs fro a Team file site being the other for us.
Covfefe!