Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:19 pm I often watch those side-by-side comparison videos of "normal boring person" resolution vs "OMG LOOK AT THIS" resolution (no, I have no clue what any of the resolution numbers mean). They always look nearly identical to me. I've yet to see one that makes me think "I really should upgrade my TV for this". []
They will never look better than your current resolution. To actually compare a side-by-side 1080 vs 4k video, you'd have to watch it on a 4k display. Watching that same video on a 1080 display means you're watching two 1080 videos.

(1080 being 1920x1080 resolution (1,920 pixels across horizontally), 4k being 3840 × 2160 (approximately 4,000 pixels across horizontally, ie 4k.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Blackhawk wrote:
Scraper wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:46 am I don't think 60fps is really as big a deal as you make it. I honestly can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps in 90% of the games I play. Heck bump that to 45fps and 60fps and I can't tell a difference ever.
It's not obvious on a TV, but it stands out like a sore thumb to me on a PC monitor. 30FPS looks extremely jittery compared to 60, just like a a 60Hz monitor looks feels less smooth than a 144Hz.
I play on a monitor and some games in 30 fps are unplayable to me. It jitters so much that it's nauseating. I was playing Final Fantasy 7 remake and I tried the graphics mode and had to immediately turn it off as it was so bad when you pan the camera.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wonder if the people who don't see a difference between 1080 and 4K would notice a difference if they dropped down a couple of resolution tiers.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm sure we would. My TV has served me well through the PS3, PS4 and PS5 though.

Btw, new PS5 update is out that is pretty significant. It allows to dim the controllers and the power indicator, among other things. I thought we had the ability to dim the controllers since the PS4? Was that not a feature of the PS5 already? This update also updated my disk drive.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/20 ... date-9-00/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:16 am I wonder if the people who don't see a difference between 1080 and 4K would notice a difference if they dropped down a couple of resolution tiers.
I can absolutely tell the difference between 720 and 1080P in gaming. But 1080P to 4K is not as big of a difference to me. I still prefer 4K when I can use that resolution, but it's not a game changer for me.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A lot of people don't know to take both monitor/TV size and distance into account when choosing between 1080 and 4k. At the size of the average computer monitor, there's almost not discernible difference. It isn't until you pass a certain size that the pixels on a 1080 monitor are actually large enough to distinguish (and then most of the time 1440 is enough to make them indistinguishable again.) Likewise, if you've got a 1080 TV and watch it from far enough away, 4k won't do much for you.

So often it's not that people can't tell the tech apart, it's that they're judging it incorrectly, in situations where the differences don't matter (see also the comments about comparing 1080/4k video on a 1080 display.)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The PS store is doing their spring sale for a few more days, and I’m in need of a new game or two. I’m torn on some choices. I can only get one or possibly two of these.

Hogwarts Legacy is $35. I’m not the biggest HP fan, but the game looked like fun when it came out. And this might be one that my wife enjoys since she IS a big fan.

Jedi Survivor is a bit less than $35. I loved the original, so getting this while it’s on sale seems like a no brainer. Though I’ve seen it for sale a ton lately, and I’m in no rush to play the game, so I can see holding off on this until the next sale.

Ghost of Tsushima is under $30. I know nothing about this game other than it was highly praised when it first came out.

Or I could not buy any new game at this point. The game I most want to play is Spiderman 2 which isn’t on sale. I kind of want to replay the first SM game and the Miles Morales game, then pick up 2. I just feel guilty doing that with so many games on my wishlist currently on sale.

Any suggestions on what games I should grab?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:55 pm The PS store is doing their spring sale for a few more days, and I’m in need of a new game or two. I’m torn on some choices. I can only get one or possibly two of these.

Hogwarts Legacy is $35. I’m not the biggest HP fan, but the game looked like fun when it came out. And this might be one that my wife enjoys since she IS a big fan.
I’m not a HP fan at all, but thoroughly enjoyed Hogwart’s Legacy. Definitely a thumbs up.
Jedi Survivor is a bit less than $35. I loved the original, so getting this while it’s on sale seems like a no brainer. Though I’ve seen it for sale a ton lately, and I’m in no rush to play the game, so I can see holding off on this until the next sale.
I’m a huge SW fan and mostly enjoyed the first game, but this one simply bored me to tears. I thought it was incredibly dull, although I seem to be in the minority.
Ghost of Tsushima is under $30. I know nothing about this game other than it was highly praised when it first came out.
An absolutely incredible game. If I had to recommend just one single game to someone new to PS5, it would be Ghost of Tsushima. It’s brilliant.

For other recommendations:
- If you didn’t play it on PC, Baldur’s Gate 3 is excellent on PS5 as well.
- Both Final Fantasy VII games are very good, as is FF XVI (depending on your preferences for story vs gameplay)
- I adore the Horizon series and think they’re easily the best open-world games on the system.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I really wanted to enjoy Jedi Survivor but can't recommend it due to way too much parkour. They should have made it so if you used your Jedi powers wisely you could minimize the jumping. A missed opportunity. I also highly recommend BG3, but it isn't cheap and is unlikely to be on sale anytime soon.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:58 am I really wanted to enjoy Jedi Survivor but can't recommend it due to way too much parkour. They should have made it so if you used your Jedi powers wisely you could minimize the jumping. A missed opportunity. I also highly recommend BG3, but it isn't cheap and is unlikely to be on sale anytime soon.
It seems like we've debated this before, but I'm on the opposite side of this one. I thought survivor was superior in every way compared to the first game and if you took the time to read all of the logs hidden throughout the levels then the story was much better. I also really didn't mind the parkour elements.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Out of the games MSteeeers listed i would definitely go with Ghost of Tsushima first. Its the best game on his list, not that any of them are bad, but Ghosts is just that good.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:33 am
- I adore the Horizon series and think they’re easily the best open-world games on the system.
I finished the first one and I'm about 60 hours into the last one now. I adore this series and cannot recommend it enough. :wub:
He won. Period.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:55 pm The PS store is doing their spring sale for a few more days, and I’m in need of a new game or two. I’m torn on some choices. I can only get one or possibly two of these.

Or I could not buy any new game at this point. The game I most want to play is Spiderman 2 which isn’t on sale. I kind of want to replay the first SM game and the Miles Morales game, then pick up 2. I just feel guilty doing that with so many games on my wishlist currently on sale.

Any suggestions on what games I should grab?
Wow, I can actually help here. All four are very good. I would put Spiderman 2 and Ghost of Tsushima in the top, must play, tier. I would put the other two in AAA, very good game tier. The difference I would say is that you can enjoy SM and Ghost even if you're not a fan of Marvel or samurai. The other two really scale with your fondness for the IP.

We did argue about Jedi Survivor before. I'm on Scraper's side. It improves on the original in most every way. Both Jedi games took a while to get going though. Hogwarts is a great game that's a little too long. It also has a bit of the Ubisoft open-world let's fill the map with icons and make them collect everything. Most things you can ignore if they don't interest you. Does exploring Hogwarts and flying around it on a broom sound magical to you? If not, feel free to wait.

I would probably put Spiderman 2 slightly above Ghost, but considering the sale, Ghost is the obvious answer. The PS5 version is the director's cut which makes a gorgeous game look even better. It comes with the Iki Island expansion which was great fun. Since I completed the game when it came out, I ended up playing the expansion after the conclusion of the main campaign, but if I were in your shoes, I'd play it shortly after it unlocks. For the narrative, it make more sense then. Ghost of Tsushima is truly one of the those, "I wish I could play it again for the first time." games. Don't overthink it. Just get it and have fun finding out what over that next hill.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Cool. Thank you all! I guess I'll be picking up the Ghosts of Tsushima and the Hogwarts game for now, and that can give SM2 some time to go on sale (though that's a game I don't mind paying full price for).
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:33 amFor other recommendations:
- If you didn’t play it on PC, Baldur’s Gate 3 is excellent on PS5 as well.
I LOVED Baldur's Gate 3, but I'm not ready for a replay just yet. :D
- Both Final Fantasy VII games are very good, as is FF XVI (depending on your preferences for story vs gameplay)
I have those Final Fantasy games on my wishlist but I don't think those are on sale at the moment. I'm also a bit annoyed at all the FF7 versions out there, because now I have to research what the heck I'm buying as I don't know what the differences are between them. It's JUST inconvenient enough for me to be annoyed.
Agreed! These games are great.
Hrothgar wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:36 pmI would probably put Spiderman 2 slightly above Ghost, but considering the sale, Ghost is the obvious answer.
I was probably leaning towards just buying SM2 despite the sales, but the praise for Ghost is a bit out of control. Pretty hard for me to ignore all of the hype!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, if the wife wants to play hogwarts, that would be #1 ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The combat in Ghost is sooooo good. When I was in a duel, I really felt like a swordfighter using every ounce of my skill to emerge victorious. I know the group has already sold it, but it would have been my recommendation as well.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

For some reason dodging in Ghosts was giving me issues. I couldn't get it to reliably trigger, and died a LOT as a result. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, as it seems like a simple button press and then moving the left joystick in the direction you want to go in. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I maybe played for an hour last night and the game is gorgeous so far.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ghosts is also very, very good and cannot be recommended enough. I think for me, it's

Horizon Dawn series
Ghosts of Tsushima
God of War and God of War: Ragnarok (the newer incarnations, not the previous entries before the last two)
Spiderman (pretty much all of them)
Jedi: Fallen Order
Dark Souls/Demon Souls/Elden Ring related games
Control
Returnal

Then all the Assasin's Creed stuff...even if Valhalla felt like it wore out its welcome after 137 hours or so.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:16 pm Spiderman (pretty much all of them)
All of them?

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:16 pm Ghosts is also very, very good and cannot be recommended enough. I think for me, it's

Horizon Dawn series
Ghosts of Tsushima
God of War and God of War: Ragnarok (the newer incarnations, not the previous entries before the last two)
Spiderman (pretty much all of them)
Jedi: Fallen Order
Dark Souls/Demon Souls/Elden Ring related games
I've played all those and they are all excellent. The Demon Souls remake really cleaned up nicely.

You can't go wrong with Ghost/Horizon/Spiderman though. Those are accessible for everyone and high quality.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only problem with the Dark Souls/Demon Souls series now is that Elden Ring has spoiled me. When I hit something I can't beat immediately, I can't just wonder off and do something else like I did with Elden Ring. :D
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

After reading this thread, I jumped on my PS5 and tried to get Ghost of Tsushima, but I’m only seeing it at $69.99.

Did I miss the deal?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I can't see the price since I've already purchased it, but it's also available as part of PS+.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Kurth wrote:After reading this thread, I jumped on my PS5 and tried to get Ghost of Tsushima, but I’m only seeing it at $69.99.

Did I miss the deal?
It might have ended on the 10th. New games have also been added to the deal including one of the final fantasy 7 games.

So now I guess I need to do some research and see what the differences are.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's on playstation plus. Hell most of the top PS5 exclusive games are.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

msteelers wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:26 am It might have ended on the 10th. New games have also been added to the deal including one of the final fantasy 7 games.

They are redoing Final Fantasy 7 as a trilogy for modern consoles. The first two games are out now:
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake is the first part
- Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is the second part
- The third part is still TBD and is likely 2-3 years away

This re-imagining follows the same general storyline, characters, and world as the original but expands on it significantly and throws in some really interesting twists. The first game (Remake) covers the opening section of the original (the Midgar part) and turns it into a full-fledged 40-50 hour action RPG. The second game (Rebirth) starts when the gang leaves Midgar and goes up through the events of The Temple of the Ancients. Remake is a pretty linear experience, but Rebirth opens up into a huge open world experience. Both are excellent games, especially for fans of the original.

An emulated version of the original FF7 is also available, with some modern QOL adjustments (i.e. turn off random encounters, 2X speed, auto-limit break, etc.)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:57 am It's on playstation plus. Hell most of the top PS5 exclusive games are.
I was gonna mention that. PS+ is an excellent way to try most of the big-name PS5 titles for $15/month.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:16 am
Octavious wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:57 am It's on playstation plus. Hell most of the top PS5 exclusive games are.
I was gonna mention that. PS+ is an excellent way to try most of the big-name PS5 titles for $15/month.
I was going to say the same thing but decided not to. But I agree, with all the games he wants to try, PS+ premium is a no brainer. It will save him a ton of money over the year. I do the one year subscription with automatic renewal and I haven't regretted it yet.
FTE
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yep, another vote for PS+ (or whatever it's called). Especially given the retail price of new playstation games.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Skinypupy wrote:
msteelers wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:26 am It might have ended on the 10th. New games have also been added to the deal including one of the final fantasy 7 games.

They are redoing Final Fantasy 7 as a trilogy for modern consoles. The first two games are out now:
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake is the first part
- Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is the second part
- The third part is still TBD and is likely 2-3 years away

This re-imagining follows the same general storyline, characters, and world as the original but expands on it significantly and throws in some really interesting twists. The first game (Remake) covers the opening section of the original (the Midgar part) and turns it into a full-fledged 40-50 hour action RPG. The second game (Rebirth) starts when the gang leaves Midgar and goes up through the events of The Temple of the Ancients. Remake is a pretty linear experience, but Rebirth opens up into a huge open world experience. Both are excellent games, especially for fans of the original.

An emulated version of the original FF7 is also available, with some modern QOL adjustments (i.e. turn off random encounters, 2X speed, auto-limit break, etc.)
Oh, interesting! I didn’t realize that’s what they were doing.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I've recently been playing through Tales of Vesperia thanks to PS+ Premium and it hit me just how great that service is for JRPGS. Currently you can play almost every Tales game, almost every Star Ocean game and several Final Fantasy games that were released for the PS4 and 5. Not to mention several miscellaneous RPGs that aren't part of a long running series. That's a ton of traditional JRPG goodness right there.
FTE
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Thanks for this! I found Ghosts of Tsushima on PS+ and started last night. Just 30 minutes in, but I think I love this game already.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kurth wrote:
Thanks for this! I found Ghosts of Tsushima on PS+ and started last night. Just 30 minutes in, but I think I love this game already.
I started Ghost of Tsushima last week as well...really digging it so far and can't wait to see how the game evolves.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Yeah, I just finished act 1 and it’s great so far. The graphics are amazing and the gameplay is a lot of fun.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Scraper wrote:I've recently been playing through Tales of Vesperia thanks to PS+ Premium and it hit me just how great that service is for JRPGS. Currently you can play almost every Tales game, almost every Star Ocean game and several Final Fantasy games that were released for the PS4 and 5. Not to mention several miscellaneous RPGs that aren't part of a long running series. That's a ton of traditional JRPG goodness right there.
Yeah, I love my PS5 for the various exclusives, but I get the most mileage out of the JRPGs. I'm playing through the Trails of Cold Steel quadrilogy right now, but I've still got Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth and FF7:Rebirth on deck. And that's not even touching the older titles on PS+. It's such a GREAT console for RPG lovers.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:51 am
Scraper wrote:I've recently been playing through Tales of Vesperia thanks to PS+ Premium and it hit me just how great that service is for JRPGS. Currently you can play almost every Tales game, almost every Star Ocean game and several Final Fantasy games that were released for the PS4 and 5. Not to mention several miscellaneous RPGs that aren't part of a long running series. That's a ton of traditional JRPG goodness right there.
Yeah, I love my PS5 for the various exclusives, but I get the most mileage out of the JRPGs. I'm playing through the Trails of Cold Steel quadrilogy right now, but I've still got Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth and FF7:Rebirth on deck. And that's not even touching the older titles on PS+. It's such a GREAT console for RPG lovers.
Don't even get me started on Trails of Cold Steel. I have whole thread on the series wherein it's mostly me keeping it alive, but bar none it is the most underrated and under played JRPG series around. It gets better as it goes too.
FTE
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Damn it. I guess I’ll be getting the PS+ to get access to this games catalog.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just for clarification, the wording in my previous post might have implied that all the games I mentioned were on PS+. They are not. I currently don't have Plus, I tend to sign up for it only when there's a big title I want to play.

That said, PS+ has some great titles and depending on what you're wanting to play can be a great deal.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I received Ghosts of Tsushima in 2021 when I had the ps4. I didn't get too far before I became distracted with something else. I wanted to upgrade to the ps5 version but no way I was shelling out $30. So PS4 it is.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

As a strange coincidence many of the Legends of Heroes games just went on sale on the PSN. Including the excellent Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure (The final 2 top down games in the series). Those two can be played on their own without having played the other games in the series, but they do all tie together and the two top down ones take place at the same time as parts of the Cold Steel series.
FTE