Interesting Non-Game Kickstarter Items

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Interesting Non-Game Kickstarter Items

Post by Kasey Chang »

Rather than clogging up the other KS topic with non-board-game related items, I thought I should start a different one.

Mutrics GB-30 a Bluetooth 5 blue-blocker audio glasses with virtual 5.1 bone conduction sound, for $100 (Super Early Bird)

The idea is intriguing, and the preview versions sent out to reviews seems to work. But I have a huge head and I'm quite certain those hinges are not spring-loaded.

----

SMOL 6 in 1 all weather jacket that's still packable

A vest and jacket that can be zipped together into a thick jacket. Both are reversible, thus six in one. Buy them separately, or both together for $109 (super early bird)
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Re: Interesting Non-Game Kickstarter Items

Post by Kasey Chang »

GLAMOS -- turn almost flat surface (any TV, monitor, whiteboard, etc.) within radius of 36 inches into a touchscreen using LIDAR

The object itself is a tiny little cube, sort of an extension of that virtual laser keyboard that projects on a desk, except taken to an extreme.

----

Rocketbook Orbit -- a reusable notepad using real pen that ALSO digitizes your writings and drawings

Rocketbook had done these eraseable notebooks before. They are available now, using Pilot Frixion pens. Write on on the special paper, and you can wipe it off with the provided towel when you're done with it. And digitized drawings are nothing new. Drawing tablets have existed for decades... but they usually require you to use a stylus or a special pen. This one is mainly amazing for the price: $29 for the pad, a page pack (the special paper, with lines, grids, and so on), a pen, and a towel to wipe off the work. (though the pad is not digital... You digitize the drawings with a smartphone and its camera into the app that does some enhancements. )
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Formix

Post by Formix »

Damn you Kasey. Stupid OO effect. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

With those pointed out, there are a couple really lame or overpriced items, IMHO.

EX: An auto-open umbrella that is free to rotate so it can work itself past any obstacle instead of scratching or ripping.

Cool, but not $50 dollar cool.

EX: large coin-sized magnets wrapped in leather, designed by women.

Cool, but at 3 for $50, it's ridiculously expensive, no matter how much of a sob story it came with.

EX: Yet another Bluetooth headphone / speaker / earbud / etc.

Those things are so commoditized there's no way I'd pay for a KS item unless it offers something NOBODY ELSE has. Just being the lightest or coolest or whatever ain't enough.

EX: A LED desk lamp, very utilitarian, but because it has titanium parts, and is a smart lamp (Google Home, Alexa, etc. ) they want $99 for it, and that's the Super Early Bird price.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Now this one, I can get behind... Sorta.

Talon Phone Mount

Stick the "mounting disc" on the back of a phone case (or phone directly) and snap the plate on. The plate can mount a Nite-Ize Gear-Tie that can be bent into ANY shape, so it's a free-form stand or hanger. Even bent it around poles and branches and whatnot. The mounting disc can be replaced with a Pop-socket if you use that. It apparently will snap onto any existing Pop-sockets already on phone-backs. For $13, it's actually not too bad, given that an original Gear-tie 24 inch MSRP is $6.50 for a 2-pack, and this comes with 1. So their device is actually $10.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For a dud...

"Social Holder"... Basically a magnet mount and a gel sticker so you can stick the phone to any flat surface, and a remote to take selfies. It's cheap, but nobody wants to pay $15 for a magnet, do they?

"Pictar" the next generation selfie stick. Sure, it has a grip-mounted control that can rotate the camera up/down and even rotate the optional attachable light up/down too. And it can remote control the camera to zoom and stuff, cool. But $85? Really? I can buy a gimbal for that price.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Two more duds...

PowerGem: solar-powered power-bank with USB-C PD ports and a compass. $55? Looks like a $25 powerbank with a compass attached to it. The slar panel is so weak it can barely supply a regular USB port (0.5 amp) at full sunlight. It's practically worthless, leaving you a 16000 mAh powerbank. In fact, I can get a $17 powerbank with 16000 mAh, 18 W PD USB-C, and QC3. That thing's worth $25, maybe $30 if I'm being generous.

Bucqle: a belt substitute. Thread this on the waist hem of your pants, and you can fold it and tighten it without using a belt. Sounds cool... Until you look at the price: 43 euros (about $47 yank dollars).
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

LAAB:

I backed the previous issue and will be backing this one. It's a beautiful production.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think I'll share a few items that I got via Kickstarter that are cool, or a letdown.

Cynaps -- a bone conduction Bluetooth headset in a baseball cap. No rating. The cap, the largest size they have, does not fit my head. And the item is not "removable" so I can attach it to a different cap, unless I want to do some radical surgery. Should have ordered the DIY kit instead.

444 Wallet -- very nice, no fancy tricks like accordion slider or card ejector, but it does have holders for a slim pen, 2 x microSD card or SIM card slot, coin slot, room for up to 6 cards, cash slot. And it's not that thick. I've started carrying this instead of my previous favorite wallet.

Wramer Wallet -- welded fabric construction nice, but not really big enough for me.

Bando 2.0 Wallet -- Eh... not quite. Gets bulgy with 4-5 cards, no coin slot, the only cool trick is the according slider, and cash had to be folded and placed under the band. Meh.

DuoTek jacket -- I ordered XL, I got XL, and it wasn't big enough. :-P

Mjolnir Wallet -- looks really cool, in reality a disappointment. The ejector for the carts sorta works. The "magnet leash" on the wallet is extremely weak. The rest of the stuff is disappointing.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Every once in a while, there's a project that looks so promising... Until you look at the price.

Supercarrier is like... the ultimate stowable shopping bag. 30L of capacity, can safely haul 110 pound load, and folds up to size of your hand.

They want $18 quids for it ($24 USD) plus $8 shipping = $32 USD.

It's great, but I'd argue, not $32 USD great.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

And here comes Nanobag 4.0... 1/3 the price (1 for 13, 2 for 18, 4 and you get free shipping). And the XL version has 25L, almost the 30L of supercarrier.

Other items of note:

Code Cards 2.0 -- teach/quiz playing cards about programming... Four decks available on different languages. Or buy all four. Or even just download the printable version and make them yourself.

Now for something disturbing...

Seems they must made an artificial Tribble... in Japan. They called it Moflin At least it doesn't multiply.

And IMHO, the most WTF product so far...

A portable water sprayer (i.e. bidet in a can factor) marketed as, I'm not making this up "portable butt shower". Behold... the Wonderspray
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Now here's something interesting... a multi-way convertible bag... Can go from 10L "briefcase" or "daypack" all the way out to a 70L luggage, or various sizes in between (20L and 40L). Price is a little high, IMHO, at USD$147 that includes a tote/wallet combo (yes, a wallet converts into a 20L tote) but if it's actually durable enough to travel with (and comes with a large laptop sleeve) this, along with some packing cubes, can make for some interesting trip packing possibilities.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... dations%22
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I know that a burrito holder that you can twist on the bottom to push up the bits is cool and all, but it's NOT 36 USD cool. Yet that's the price they're asking for on Kickstarter. WTF... AND they want to RETAIL this at $50?!?!

A Phone-stand + multi-tool that fols into the size of a XL sized PEZ dispenser is kinda cool, but not $59 cool either.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sketch Wallet is interesting, if you *must* carry a sketchbook with you at all times and it had to go into your wallet, and price is not that bad... though I haven't seen the cost fo the replacement sketchbooks.

A portable CD player is nothing new. That is, unless it's a modern version with Bluetooth 5.0... But is it worth about $103 USD? I don't think so. Esp. if it's from a pretty much unknown company. Even the super-early bird price of $89 is a bit much, IMHO (and it ran out).

A Stainless Steel "transforming pen" that magnetically docks and uses standard D1 refill for $30 on the other hand, is not THAT bad, esp. when the titanium version is $34. Though 7 Euros for shipping... Yikes.

A Six-in-One peripheral cable that goes from USB-A/USB-C on one end, and USBC/Lightning/MicroUSB on the other for $21 USD (plus shipping) on the other hand, is actually pretty innovative, esp. if it also handles PD, QuickCharge 3, and Apple's 18W fast charge. The only problem: it ships from Australia.

Oh, and remember Wrench from Watchdogs 2? With the cool glasses?

Someone made it into a mask. Comes in 3 versions.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The FINO IV sling pack looked interesting, and the cost of $39 doesn't seem outrageous... But $13 for shipping is excessive, IMHO.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats a purse sugar.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You can call it a sling pack, but it's 100% a purse.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:30 pm
I *really* want this, but my wife is not having it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unless you’re a professional or someone that’s gone through several pepper mills already, I imagine that it would be a huge ask.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:43 pm Unless you’re a professional or someone that’s gone through several pepper mills already, I imagine that it would be a huge ask.
Not a professional, but I do handle all the cooking. And I'm a pepper mill snob. But I understand the reluctance. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gbasden wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:43 pm Unless you’re a professional or someone that’s gone through several pepper mills already, I imagine that it would be a huge ask.
Not a professional, but I do handle all the cooking. And I'm a pepper mill snob. But I understand the reluctance. :)
Throw it on the year-end holiday request list. Or you could downgrade to the Peugeot Paris u’Select Pepper Mill
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

McNutt wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:27 pm You can call it a sling pack, but it's 100% a purse.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:18 pm Thats a purse sugar.
Yeah, I get the reaction. :D

FWIW, the formal name is "murse"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murse

https://money.cnn.com/2015/12/01/luxury ... index.html
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 pm
Throw it on the year-end holiday request list. Or you could downgrade to the Peugeot Paris u’Select Pepper Mill
Hey look......its full of pre ground black pepper. No having to do it yourself and its only $1.00 at most stores.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:47 pm
Hey look......its full of pre ground black pepper. No having to do it yourself and its only $1.00 at most stores.

Enlarge Image
And it has already lost most of its flavor before you ever open it, and it will taste like slightly spicy sawdust in six months! Bonus!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I spend good money on good whole peppercorns. A good grinder is a must.

I use a ceramic burr grinder for my pepper.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:58 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:47 pm

Enlarge Image
And it has already lost most of its flavor before you ever open it, and it will taste like slightly spicy sawdust in six months! Bonus!
In fairness, anyone seeking culinary guidance from Daehawk is their own worst enemy; it's akin to seeking investment advice via e-mail from a Nigerian prince.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

In all fairness, how much worse is McCormick's ground pepper than the peppercorns that someone has had in their pantry for the past two years? I'm not saying that's what some of you guys use, but my wife gave me grief once for using a can of that pepper instead of the "fresh" pepper from the grinder. Those peppercorns had been in that grinder for many years.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 pm
I was looking at the cannon until I saw the price. Although, I do own a mortar and pestle, so maybe it's time to go old school next time I need some pepper for cooking.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:38 pm In all fairness, how much worse is McCormick's ground pepper than the peppercorns that someone has had in their pantry for the past two years? I'm not saying that's what some of you guys use, but my wife gave me grief once for using a can of that pepper instead of the "fresh" pepper from the grinder. Those peppercorns had been in that grinder for many years.
New Delhi TV
Pepper is the most commonly used spice in the world, but anyone who's using the pre-ground stuff is missing out on its true intensity of flavor. The world's best chefs have always known that pepper loses flavor when added early in the cooking process. And because the peppercorns' essential oils aren't released until they are ground, a fresh grind of peppercorns can elevate many dishes with the perfect finishing touch.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:38 pm In all fairness, how much worse is McCormick's ground pepper than the peppercorns that someone has had in their pantry for the past two years? I'm not saying that's what some of you guys use, but my wife gave me grief once for using a can of that pepper instead of the "fresh" pepper from the grinder. Those peppercorns had been in that grinder for many years.
While not ideal, it's still way better after a year. When you grind them you're exposing "new" pepper. You don't need anything all that spectacular to grind it but freshly ground is way better even is it's not fresh pepper.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am backing "Vice and Virtue", a card-based generator that adds morals and ethics to your character creation and RPG playthru

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/du ... =user_menu

In a related vein, the Dungenerator looks really good, except I don't play RPG or dungeons.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ro ... ry_similar

And I really like this keyboard:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ep ... dations%22
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I buy my peppercorns a pound at a time and store them in a mason jar that is vacuum sealed. The pound lasts about a year and I fill the grinder about every month.

If your peppercorns go stale that's on you.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:13 pm
I buy my peppercorns a pound at a time and store them in a mason jar that is vacuum sealed. The pound lasts about a year and I fill the grinder about every month.

Z-Peppercorn speaks.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Unagi wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:47 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:13 pm

Z-Peppercorn speaks.
I grew up on Speaks Ave. so that is actually my porn name.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I am a big fan of pepper. I was all in until the price tag. Then I was all out. Its like, looking at a ferrari is cool and all, but my dodge is perfectly good.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Such snobbery :) You elites and your pepper. :D
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I have to use a lot of pepper on my plate because the caviar is always so briny.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's two posts in a row you've given me a chuckle. Thanks. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go