Interesting Non-Game Kickstarter Items

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Interesting Non-Game Kickstarter Items

Post by Isgrimnur »

It does bring out the flavors of the potted meat food product.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cook with a lot of pepper but I think the only food I simply add a lot to to improve the flavor is canned chicken noodle soup.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:46 pm I cook with a lot of pepper but I think the only food I simply add a lot to to improve the flavor is canned chicken noodle soup.
Or chicken bullion powder. I know some cooks sprinkle that in like salt.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I just had a BRILLIANT plan, a MUCH simpler version of that burrito eater.

Why not just a silicone bag, with some sort of hook-and-loop size adjuster and a top seal?

Make it thick enough so it doesn't burn the hand, hook and loop around itself can "tie off" the portion you're not using, and the top seals off keeping the heat in.

When you're ready to eat the burrito, open the top seal, and roll down the bag to expose the tip. Any fluids leaking goes back into the bag, not on your hands or in your lap. As you finish the rest, either roll down the bag some more or scooch the burrito up. When you're done, wrap everything back into the bag to be disposed of at home. Just wash and dry.

What do you guys think?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:14 pm
What do you guys think?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:14 pmWhat do you guys think?
That if leaking burritos are motivating you to be creative right now, you and I are living in very different parts of America.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:14 pm When you're ready to eat, open the top seal, and roll down the bag to expose the tip. Any fluids leaking goes back into the bag, not on your hands or in your lap. As you finish the rest, roll down the bag some more. When you're done, wrap everything back into the bag to be disposed of at home. Just wash and dry.

What do you guys think?
I think this sounds like my honeymoon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just got the smothered burrito. It came in a bowl and I ate it with a fork. All problems solved.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Fair responses. I know I didn't come here for approvals. :D

It's sorta satirical response on stupid kickstarter crap. Every other guy was launching an improved button pusher, sanitizer, anti-viral jacket, or some crap like that.

But if a $50 plastic tube with a "pusher" can be sold as "the ultimate burrito carrier" I can sell a crappy silicone bag for $20. :D
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Not going to lie, I bought the damn peppermill. I do a lot of cooking, and make a lot of jerky - and I'm tired of shit ass peppermills. This thing better live up to the hype, you know, when I get it in July 2021!

I shouldn't shop online at night without wife supervision.
No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:horse:
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

FishPants wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:53 pm Not going to lie, I bought the damn peppermill. I do a lot of cooking, and make a lot of jerky - and I'm tired of shit ass peppermills. This thing better live up to the hype, you know, when I get it in July 2021!

If you own a sous vide immersion cooker but don't yet have one of these then you need to rectify that, pronto. Having said that, you can save a significant chunk of change by simply purchasing the exact same BernzOmatic torch included with that kit on its own. You can see it in action below:

I never realised just how satisfying cooking with a blowtorch could be. Suffice to say, no matter how good that pepper mill is, cooking and searing with a nifty culinary flamethrower will always be more enjoyable.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:43 pm
FishPants wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:53 pm Not going to lie, I bought the damn peppermill. I do a lot of cooking, and make a lot of jerky - and I'm tired of shit ass peppermills. This thing better live up to the hype, you know, when I get it in July 2021!

If you own a sous vide immersion cooker but don't yet have one of these then you need to rectify that, pronto. Having said that, you can save a significant chunk of change by simply purchasing the exact same BernzOmatic torch included with that kit on its own. You can see it in action below:

I never realised just how satisfying cooking with a blowtorch could be. Suffice to say, no matter how good that pepper mill is, cooking and searing with a nifty culinary flamethrower will always be more enjoyable.
I'm pretty sure I already have that torch head in the garage. It doesn't make the meat taste like the gas though? I usually opt for a hot ass cast iron sear.
No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You taste the meat, not the heat.
Anonymous Bosch

FishPants wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:06 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:43 pm

I'm pretty sure I already have that torch head in the garage. It doesn't make the meat taste like the gas though? I usually opt for a hot ass cast iron sear.
Not at all, especially if you use MAP-Pro fuel (which burns at a higher temperature than standard propane) and keep the flame moving.

There's certainly nothing wrong with a good cast iron sear. But there's much to be said for just how much easier it becomes to achieve a perfectly even sear across every part of whatever you're cooking with a torch vs. just the flatter areas you're typically able to sear with a cast iron skillet. You can also combine the techniques, too. So you can have some steaks searing in your cast iron skillet whilst simultaneously using the torch to sear the top and sides.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

This searing kit is inferior to the original invention, the Searzall:

https://www.bookeranddax.com/searzall

I have one and it's great. And the inventor, Dave Arnold, is one of my favorite people.
Anonymous Bosch

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:24 pm This searing kit is inferior to the original invention, the Searzall:

https://www.bookeranddax.com/searzall
Apples and oranges, because the Searzall is just an attachment; you cannot use it to sear anything without also purchasing/owning the necessary blowtorch to which it attaches.

The Searzall is also much, MUCH slower than cooking with a naked torch by design, especially a MAPP torch. Which is fine for melting cheese, making toast, or browning crème brûlée. But it can take close to three minutes per side to sear a steak with the Searzall. That's OK when you're preparing just one or two steaks, but becomes a significant timesink for anything more. By contrast, the Sansaire torch puts an equivalent or better quality sear on a steak in one minute per side or less.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The WGP bone conduction eyeglasses are an interesting development, as they try to cheap down what Amazon and Bose are doing with their smartglasses, by offering them on Kickstarter at $140 for early bird. Its main schtick? Swappable face. Need a new look? Unplug the "guts" (the arms) from the face and plug them onto new face and you essentially get new pair of glasses. Obviously they have the faces, and so far, the faces are ugly as f-. Why don't they partner with some big firms and offer them a chance to buy-in and be co-branded? Hmmm? And at $60 each, they re way too expensive for what they are. (the entire set is $140, $100 for SUPER-early bird) and NONE of the frames I'd want to wear out in public.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Now, this wallet is at least somewhat innovative, in that it's not designed ENTIRELY around the credit card and ID. Most modern "minimalist" wallets are basically cardholders first, and little else. This one at least holds banknotes properly, and NOT with a money clip.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So it protects from rfid yet it works on scanners as you walk by. Well thats a lie there some place.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If you read lower, the outside cards are exposed. It has 2 RFID blocker pockets inside for the protected ones.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont think Ive ever had a rfid card in my life. My cards are free and it saves me from a second expense for them :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As someone who wore a trucker's wallet for many years back when cash was still king, I consider a trifold minimalist. Mine is 10 years old and wearing out. I'm more inclined to go back to a trucker's than some skimpy thing like that. I don't allow my phone to access money in any way, but I don't use cash anymore either, so I'm a card guy. I carry 2 credit cards, 3 debit cards, driver's license, 2 insurance cards, and at least half a dozen membership/affiliate/reward cards. I want a wallet than can organize all of that plus some bills.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I find myself with smaller and smaller wallets as times go by. I used to stick a regular bifold wallet in my front pocket, the regular leather ones you find at a department store. But in the past few years, I've ordered a bunch of different alternative wallets off Kickstarter and Amazon. After five years ago, I tried the Crabby Wallet, but decided to go with the plastic EZGO, which is basically a card holder with the middle sorta working as a cash slot.

I ordered at least four off Kickstarter, the Wramer, The Bando, the Mjolner, and the 444. But none of them quite met my needs. I want one or two cards on the outside (RFID, basically), an ID pocket, easy access to cash, and still carry 3-5 cards plus an accessory or two (a card comb? a sticky-pad size of credit cards?). 444 came the closest... it's basically a slightly redesigned bi-fold, got everything except the ID pocket, and even has a coin pocket, mini-pen holder, etc. But I can get almost the same functionality with a $20 wallet I got off Amazon, AND I can stick an ID pocket outside (and I did).

But now I'm using the Ridge-clone. It's... interesting. I could put the ID on the money clip side, but somehow it doesn't quite feel secure. And the money needs to be quad-folded to fit nicely, which is a bit too much trouble, IMHO. I should probably add an elastic to the non-money-clip side so I can put some cards there for my "external pocket" requirement? Hmmm...

Right now, my thought on ideal wallet is closer to the Ridge wallet, except it's got the "pull-tag accordion" for the cards instead of the current thumb hole eject, and maybe a flip-cover for the ID pocket and exterior pocket (for RFID cards like bus passes and such), and a better cash clip.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Orbitkey ID Card Holder system... Cool, sorta useful, but not $36/46+shipping useful, IMHO. It's really no different than a badge holder. Should be half of that price, IMHO.

Does this 3D printer look any good?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

7 Credit Card-ish items (2 personal cards, corporate card, debit card, AAA card, backup car "key" and one gift card) and 3 thinner credit card sized items (license, dental and health insurance) in a slimfold bi-fold. I wanted to switch to a front pocket wallet after my back surgery. I don't have to carry any keys anymore so it's wallet in one front pocket and phone in the other. It isn't bad, but I have way too many bills in there. I got cash from the ATM just before this all started because it was going to be spring break and the I would be doing stuff with the kids where it might come in handy... and then after a few months, after our board game convention was cancelled we had a board game flea market at a local parking lot and I picked up a pile of cash there too. $600, mostly 20s but a decent stack of smaller bills as well pretty much doubled the thickness of my wallet. I guess the good news is, for most of the year, I haven't bothered taking my wallet off the dresser as I haven't been going anywhere.

Why am I posting this in the non-game kickstarter thread? Who knows, but I blame Kasey.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This may be the bone conduction headset I am looking for, but at $300 ($220 super-early bird) it's about twice as much as I'm willing to pay for.

The only thing new on this: an adjustable size mechanism, and even then, it's debatable whether it'll fit my XL-sized noggin. :-\
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

This KS is from Joel, so you know it's legit.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Wait... a keyboard with a 12.6 inch screen?! Fancy... but $250+ USD? Uh...

Almost unbreakable sunglasses with magnetic temples that just falls off if forced But 89 Euros + shipping? Really?

An ultralight packable backpack that folds up into size of a soda can (or a little larger) but still holds 22L, with detachable hip-bag and removable back padding (also useful as a seat cushion)... $60 sounds reasonable if it doesn't rip when loaded.

PEBLWEAR, the new BT remote for music promises to be the true universal remote for mobile phones so you don't have to remember different commands on your headphones. It uses gesture touch and can work THROUGH fabric (such as shirt or jean pockets) Interesting, but $72 for just a remote... Hmmm...

Would you pay $120 for a custom tailored (sorta) bomber jacket? This one has stretchable fabric, is wrinkle resistant, stain and liquid resistant... And is sewn to order based on your custom measurements. I'd say... maybe?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Would you buy a 3D Printer for... $199? Or even $179? with 20mm / h print speed and 2K resolution and as tight as 0.01mm thickness layers?

I don't think I would pay $79 for a hands-free automatic eyeglasses lens cleaner...

Web designers should get a kick out of Wireframe Deck where you use square "cards" to mock up your web UI...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Looks like that bone conduction headset earlier will go as wide as 63.5 cm, and my unofficial measurement is around 61 cm. Still, it's kinda expensive...

Got the MiniMax 3 wallet in, and so far... it's interesting. It's more convenient than the Ridge Wallet clone I have because it holds cash a lot better, and even has a coin pocket. AND it still holds up to 12 cards, though I got fewer than that I want to carry with me all the time.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:19 am I don't think I would pay $79 for a hands-free automatic eyeglasses lens cleaner...
I might, if the reviews of the finished product are great. I can't abide smears or dust so I clean my glasses nearly every day with soap and water and a microfiber cloth, or with lens spray and a disposable "Sight Savers" moistened tissue. They already blew away their goal so we'll see what happens with their device.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I might also. For the same reasons.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:35 pm Looks like that bone conduction headset earlier will go as wide as 63.5 cm, and my unofficial measurement is around 61 cm. Still, it's kinda expensive...

Got the MiniMax 3 wallet in, and so far... it's interesting. It's more convenient than the Ridge Wallet clone I have because it holds cash a lot better, and even has a coin pocket. AND it still holds up to 12 cards, though I got fewer than that I want to carry with me all the time.
Interesting to see the bone conduction headset coming to consumer markets maybe. Back in the 90's, one of my college buddies worked on that technology for medical devices and AFAIK still holds some patents on the tech (or is at least listed on them, not sure if he had to sign them over to the company or not).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If he created it in the 90s, he’ll have contracted it away. But being on a successful patent can open many opportunities.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I jumped on that lens cleaner, leapt on it like a starving lemur.
The Mrs is constantly hunting me down to use my Tshirt to wipe her glasses, and never satisfied with the results.
SO this thing is going in her Christmas stocking, assuming it arrives on time.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Actually found an adjustable bone conduction headphone on Amazon for $60. Ordered it and should be here in 2 days. We'll see if it's big enough.

Pledged for "Bandit", which is a very simple concept: a stretch-y band with slots so you can carry a bunch of EDC (everyday carry) things together. And it comes in three versions: regular, XL (for bigger items), and "wrap", which opens with hook-n-loop attachment, so it can go around almost anything. Need to carry stuff AROUND your wallet? Not a problem. Add a few slots around your carrying strap? Easy-peasy! Even add slots to your belt, your notebook, or more. Ideas are endless.

Also pledged for "the thinnest BT keyboard ever"... The case unfolds into a tablet/phone stand. Neat.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Anyone interested in a $54 USD yo-yo?

Sunglasses that are held together with magnets so the parts are interchangeable... Not a bad idea, but unless it comes with extra bits for changing it's not worth much. Yet these guys want $88 for just ONE PAIR (with no extra bits).

A set of Bluetooth eyeglasses for under $100, yet has 15 hours of battery life (twice that of contemporaries), and has 6 different lens options (for extra cost)? Sounds great... but a quick check with maker shows that the hinges are NOT spring-loaded, so it won't accommodate big heads like me.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Obscure Chinese firearms history? OK, they got me.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT