Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:19 pm I see it mentioned regularly in the news and on TV.
My main source of both TV and news is CNBC. They talk about COVID every day, but as if it were in the past. Everything is the context of "post COVID" Today, it's all about how China is catching up to the rest of the world and will open up oil requirements.
When I go to the grocery store or out to get lunch or something, I'm one of the few still wearing a mask.
It comes and goes here. Sometimes it's just me. Other times and places, I am shocked and see more'n 10% wearing masks.

I've gone out with friends a few times and I wear a mask unless eating or drinking, but I stand out like a sore thumb (although given where I live, I don't get any weird looks or nasty comments).
I figure at restaurants, it's theater. I don't bother. I still don't linger and when I am invited out, if I get my druthers, we eat at off times in more isolated parts of the restaurant. I'll still opt to eat out doors when possible once weather permits.
My suspicion is that the medical facilities will drop masking requirements in May when we hang the "Mission Accomplished" banner.
All medical require it around here. However, at the dentist this month, two of the staff, one of which was one of the dentists, just ignored their own requirement and so did a couple of patrons. I wanted to say something, but as you say, everyone has moved on. It put me off quite a bit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I got an email yesterday from the theater that we're attending next month saying that their mask policy has changed from "required" to "recommended."

Oddly, the number of masked grocery shoppers yesterday seemed higher than it's been in quite some time -- I'd estimate 10%.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:04 pm I've been to the dentist 3 times in the last few months.
No masks or testing other than temperature taken by ear.
Just yesterday I went to my dermatologist and no masks or checks.

Work had a retirement party and then our Christmas party a week after.
No mask. No tests.
Interesting. I'd say regional differences, but then ILB lives in the same part of the world as you.

Dentist: Sep 2021, March 2022 masks required. Sept 2022, masks optional. (This is in a very liberal town, Boulder.)
Dermatologist: many visits in Dec 2022 and Jan 2023, masks required. (This is in a very conservative town, Loveland.)
Work holiday party: canceled due to COVID concerns about a week ahead of the event.
Work small gatherings: full steam ahead, (probably without masks — I wouldn't know).

I've also recently Urgent Cared, and that is masking required (mildly conservative town, Firestone).

Last fall's dentist appointment is really the only outlier, but that may be a function of how utterly useless requiring folks to wear masks in a dentist office may be.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Meal wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:29 pm
stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:04 pm I've been to the dentist 3 times in the last few months.
No masks or testing other than temperature taken by ear.
Just yesterday I went to my dermatologist and no masks or checks.

Work had a retirement party and then our Christmas party a week after.
No mask. No tests.
Interesting. I'd say regional differences, but then ILB lives in the same part of the world as you.

City and suburbs are worlds apart.

All our facilities in Chicago and near burbs are mask-required. The further suburb locations are optional and few people opt.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Now NPR:
This winter's U.S. COVID surge is fading fast, likely thanks to a 'wall' of immunity

So there were big fears of hospitals getting completely overwhelmed again, with many people getting seriously ill and dying.

But that's not what happened.

"This virus continues to throw 210-mile-per-hour curve balls at us. And it seems to defy gravity or logic sometimes," says Michael Osterholm, who heads the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

"People all assumed we would see major transmission. Well, every time we think we have some reason to believe we know what it's going to do, it doesn't do that," Osterholm says.

The big question is: Why? Several factors may have played a roll.

One possibility could be that people avoided crowds, wore a mask and took other precautions more than public health experts had expected they would. But that doesn't really appear to be the case.

Another possibility is "viral interference," which is a theory that sometimes when a person gets infected with one virus, their immune response may protect them from getting infected with another virus. So maybe RSV and flu crowded out COVID in the same way COVID crowded out those other viral infections at various times over the last two years.

"At this point, I think that's more of a guess rather than very solid evidence," Nuzzo says. "But if it's true, that might mean we might be more susceptible to seeing a rise in infections when those viruses are not around."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

One possibility could be that people avoided crowds, wore a mask and took other precautions more than public health experts had expected they would.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Though, actually we in the frigid north we avoid crowds until March when we huddle with them even when it's unseasonably warm in January. We're on a 4 to 5 week countdown before it starts and then another 2 weeks before it's felt full force. At that time, I suspect our 'wall' of immunity will act as blinders as things will be demonstrably better than Marches past.

Not sure how I will respond. I'ma feel naked without a late February booster I was anticipating but there is yet to be recommendation for anything after the first bivalent, even for the at risk immunosuppressed, AFAIK.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/i ... omised.png
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Big City vs Urbs makes sense.

"Played a roll?" Seriously, NPR? :(
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:26 am Big City vs Urbs makes sense.

"Played a roll?" Seriously, NPR? :(
7 out!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wasn't sure where I should post this buy my pharmacy emailed this to me
No-Cost At-Home COVID-19 Tests Ends May 11th for Most Insurance Plans
I think i hear a Smoove exasperating.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:The last tranche I saw, Pfizer and Moderns got $3.2B for 105M doses. That's about $30/dose. Keep in mind that that's a huge order and a volume discount. The Feds take on distribution and delivery.

If the final cost for the vaccine ends up being $120 or so, that's not crazy.
Let's not forget that these estimates are pre-insurance negotiations.

I expect plans/insurance providers to negotiate these costs.

Probably in such a fashion that the doses are cheaper for the insurance companies in areas with a higher rate of vaccination...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote:Mixed bag here. All the medical facilities my family and I go to (doctors' offices, hospitals, eye doctor, etc.) require masking. When I go for a haircut and walk in with my mask on, my barber reaches into his drawer and puts on a mask without any discussion. COVID is still a topic of discussion among neighbors and co-workers (usually about who might have had it recently). I see it mentioned regularly in the news and on TV.

When I go to the grocery store or out to get lunch or something, I'm one of the few still wearing a mask. Most of the rest of the world has moved on. I've gone out with friends a few times and I wear a mask unless eating or drinking, but I stand out like a sore thumb (although given where I live, I don't get any weird looks or nasty comments). The twins are among the 3 in their class who still get weekly COVID tests.

My suspicion is that the medical facilities will drop masking requirements in May when we hang the "Mission Accomplished" banner.
I'm not sold on this. I think that it will really depend on prevalence, as indicated by many of the tools Smoove has used.

As indicated above, the threat has always been to our health care infrastructure, and we still can't really afford to have covid raging through our health care worker population.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Whelp, daughter #1 just tested positive after coming down with symptoms Friday night. Thankfully it's been pretty mild, and we've kept her in her room with windows cracked around the house all weekend, so fingers crossed. She had some shivers Friday night, muscle aches Sat, and some minor gunkiness Sunday. We'll see how it goes from here.

This is her first (known) case, while daughter #2 had it last spring.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Feel kinda awful for following that news with this post, but despite being on national popular media, it doesn't seem to be getting much attention.

Doctors and researchers are beginning to see connection between COVID surges and heart attacks.
Here's the study:
Key findings from the study include:

In the year before the pandemic, there were 143,787 heart attack deaths; within the first year of the pandemic, this number had increased by 14% to 164,096.
The excess in acute myocardial infarction-associated mortality has persisted throughout the pandemic, even during the most recent period marked by a surge of the presumed less-virulent Omicron variant.
Researchers found that although acute myocardial infarction deaths during the pandemic increased across all age groups, the relative rise was most significant for the youngest group, ages 25 to 44.
By the second year of the pandemic, the “observed” compared to “predicted” rates of heart attack death had increased by 29.9% for adults ages 25-44, by 19.6% for adults ages 45-64, and by 13.7% for adults age 65 and older.
I hope your daughter is doing better.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RMC

Post by RMC »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:19 pm Mixed bag here. All the medical facilities my family and I go to (doctors' offices, hospitals, eye doctor, etc.) require masking. When I go for a haircut and walk in with my mask on, my barber reaches into his drawer and puts on a mask without any discussion. COVID is still a topic of discussion among neighbors and co-workers (usually about who might have had it recently). I see it mentioned regularly in the news and on TV.

When I go to the grocery store or out to get lunch or something, I'm one of the few still wearing a mask. Most of the rest of the world has moved on. I've gone out with friends a few times and I wear a mask unless eating or drinking, but I stand out like a sore thumb (although given where I live, I don't get any weird looks or nasty comments). The twins are among the 3 in their class who still get weekly COVID tests.

I can already tell you, that the medical facilities that I work at/in have dropped the masking requirements in Non-Patient areas. I work in a building that is all support staff and executives, and no one wears masks. We have some meetings at third party sites, and no one is wearing masks at those meetings as well. So I would agree, as soon as they can stop wearing them in the hospital proper, then they will.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:49 pm I hope your daughter is doing better.
Thanks. Exited her 5-day window this morning, and despite no longer needing to test per current recommendations, we tested her and she's neg. So she's back at school today, in a mask.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RMC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:11 pm I can already tell you, that the medical facilities that I work at/in have dropped the masking requirements in Non-Patient areas. I work in a building that is all support staff and executives, and no one wears masks. We have some meetings at third party sites, and no one is wearing masks at those meetings as well. So I would agree, as soon as they can stop wearing them in the hospital proper, then they will.
NYS just announced today that the mask mandate for all NY state medical facilities ends Sunday, "following guidance from the CDC.

Last week there were 2200+ hospital admissions in NY state for COVID-19 and ~150 deaths. Seems like a great time to just yank that mask requirement.

To be clear, I expected this - but not in February!

Overall in my state we seem to just be at this new constant level. I don't want to say "endemic" because that's not correct, but there's no more peaks - it's just a constant number of hospitalizations and ICU beds in use related to COVID-19. I guess that's just how things are now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just wait until summer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:54 pm
RMC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:11 pm I can already tell you, that the medical facilities that I work at/in have dropped the masking requirements in Non-Patient areas. I work in a building that is all support staff and executives, and no one wears masks. We have some meetings at third party sites, and no one is wearing masks at those meetings as well. So I would agree, as soon as they can stop wearing them in the hospital proper, then they will.
NYS just announced today that the mask mandate for all NY state medical facilities ends Sunday, "following guidance from the CDC.

Last week there were 2200+ hospital admissions in NY state for COVID-19 and ~150 deaths. Seems like a great time to just yank that mask requirement.

To be clear, I expected this - but not in February!

Overall in my state we seem to just be at this new constant level. I don't want to say "endemic" because that's not correct, but there's no more peaks - it's just a constant number of hospitalizations and ICU beds in use related to COVID-19. I guess that's just how things are now.
Doesn't "just how things are now" kind of define endemic?

Wastewater numbers are falling in Boston, which is unexpected for February.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Cambridge Dictionary defines endemic as: especially of a disease or a condition, regularly found and very common among a particular group or in a particular area. If we define "particular group" as "everyone" and "particular area" as "everywhere" then I don't feel that it is controversial to say that the disease is regularly found and very common. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:48 am Doesn't "just how things are now" kind of define endemic?
The reason I'm hesitating in referring to this an our new endemic level is because what we are actually experiencing is non-stop outbreaks - epidemics. It's muddling the data and making it look like there's a new "floor" (what would be an endemic level) but our lack of testing and monitoring is helping to cloud the communications. I think this works better with a visual:

This is what NJ COVID-19 hospitalizations look like over the last ~year. I've made sure to include the 2021/22 Omicron wave for perspective. That Winter 2022/23 jump is what we refer to as an outbreak (popularly referred to as a "surge" in the news). If you move forward in time to the peak of the next outbreak (May 2022) - the first mound - and then follow that trend, each subsequent mound peaks at a higher level. Note for us the size of the increase doesn't necessarily matter - it's all relative to the expected (endemic) level. We don't know what the expected level of COVID-19 is yet because it's been in non-stop circulation since 2020. Some diseases have outbreaks at dozens of cases, others it might take hundreds. An outbreak of human rabies is one case. There is no magic, single number.

Regardless, this data presentation suggests a new pattern has emerged based on how the current virus is impacting people - at least in our area. I don't know what the hospitalization maps look like for every state or even regionally, but I'm guessing many are similar. The point is, it would seem that for at least a year now, every time there's another "surge", the number of people being hospitalized increases. It's no where near what happened in January of 2022, but it's still suggesting that we have problems as the waves as just slowly building over time (with respect to hospitalization).

If this was truly "endemic" it would be flat. The fact that we're seeing more cases suggests we're still in epidemic/pandemic situations. And maybe for Summer of 2023 the mounds will go back down to what it looked like in Summer of 2022. And then jump up again for Fall/Winter 2023/24. Or maybe they'll be higher. No one knows. The experiment continues.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:48 am Wastewater numbers are falling in Boston, which is unexpected for February.
Pretty soon wastewater is all we'll have left:
In another sign of the changing state of the pandemic, an invaluable source of information about the virus over the last three years is shutting down, NPR has learned.

The Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center plans to cease operations March 10, officials told NPR.

"It's bittersweet," says Lauren Gardner, an engineering professor who launched the project with one of her students on March 3, 2020. "But it's an appropriate time to move on."
Yeah, no need to worry about the ~400 people that died today; it's time to move on.
Both Blauer and Gardner say they hope the CDC and the public health system will continue to invest in data collection so the nation will be better prepared in the future. But they're prepared to step back in if necessary.
Hope has worked great so far.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:29 amIf this was truly "endemic" it would be flat. The fact that we're seeing more cases suggests we're still in epidemic/pandemic situations. And maybe for Summer of 2023 the mounds will go back down to what it looked like in Summer of 2022. And then jump up again for Fall/Winter 2023/24. Or maybe they'll be higher. No one knows. The experiment continues.
And I imagine we have ever confounding variables: I'd hazard guesses at vaccination levels, which vaccine, how many cumulative infections has an individual had, natural immunity levels, and they are intersecting with various behaviors and new strains which makes it super hard to pin down a nice easy to tell story (as if anyone is listening).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, all that comes into the calculations as well...somehow.

All I can see right now is that over time, the hospitalization peaks are trending higher - suggesting *something* is causing more and more people to need hospitalization every time there is a surge. But I guess those numbers aren't concerning enough, so get back to work.

I'm not tapped into the hospitalization infrastructure so I don't know what they're communicating internally or how they're viewing what's happening. I guess they still have enough staff to keep the doors open and money is rolling in, so let's just stay the course. I suppose now it'll be waiting to see if there are stories and/or studies coming out demonstrating how this new baseline level of hospital use to address COVID-19 is going to ripple out an impact other hospital functions and what that potentially means for patients. Sure, the hospitals can apparently handle this new "normal", but at what cost? There's always a cost.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

More info on the changing demographics of COVID-19:
As the US mulls over its future Covid-19 vaccination plan, data from three large health care systems indicate that even though a small percentage of people under age 65 have gotten the new Covid-19 booster, people this age are not becoming severely ill and overwhelming hospitals.

“Even if they’re not getting boosted, young, healthy people are not getting super sick from this,” said Dr. Mangala Narasimhan, a senior vice president at Northwell Health, the largest health care provider in New York state. “We’re not seeing it. It’s not happening.”

Narasimhan and doctors at Montefiore Medical Center in New York City and Clalit Health Services, Israel’s largest health care organization, say the relative mildness of current Covid strains, along with a degree of immunity from previous vaccinations and infections, are going a long way toward protecting healthy young people, even if they don’t get the booster.

A report released by the CDC on Thursday analyzed death rates and vaccination status from September through December. It showed that people who were vaccinated – either with only the original vaccine or with an updated booster in addition – were better protected than those who were unvaccinated.

The updated booster helps protect against both the original strain of the coronavirus and more recent Omicron strains. It was particularly effective at reducing death rates in older people and less effective for younger people. For adults younger than 65, the bivalent booster offered at least three times better protection from death than just the original vaccine – but the difference in death rates was less than one in a million.
I'm sharing this mainly because I believe it's going to influence the next set of recommendations for upcoming vaccinations (rightly, so - to be clear).

There's some additional commentary and analysis by doctors for and against booster shots, of note:
Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, said that although it’s “noble” to think that getting the booster will help protect others, the shot is much less effective at preventing transmission compared with the original vaccine at earlier points in the pandemic.

“Your chances of getting infected are altered very little with the [booster], so you can’t say with any scientific integrity that protecting others is why you should get it,” said Osterholm, who in a recent podcast emphasized the importance of getting boosted if you’re at higher risk for serious illness.

“My focus is on people who are 65 and older and those who are immune-compromised. That’s who I think really should get” the booster, Osterholm told CNN, noting that more people in those groups need to go out and get the shot.
And:
Booster dosing is probably best reserved for the people most likely to need protection against severe disease – specifically, older adults, people with multiple coexisting conditions that put them at high risk for serious illness, and those who are immunocompromised,” Offit, a pediatric infectious disease specialist at the University of Pennsylvania, wrote last month in the New England Journal of Medicine.

“In the meantime, I believe we should stop trying to prevent all symptomatic infections in healthy, young people by boosting them with vaccines containing mRNA from strains that might disappear a few months later,” he added.

Offit, who notes that he’s 71 and has no underlying health issues, did not get the new booster
That last sentence blows my mind. Offit has been on the front lines of vaccination for 30+ years and to hear him say he didn't get the bivalent booster is...bothering me. Broadly, I'm confused by the commentary as to what we're trying to accomplish here. Maybe after 26 years I don't understand public health anymore? I dunno.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Long COVID Now Looks like a Neurological Disease, Helping Doctors to Focus Treatments
People with long COVID have symptoms such as pain, extreme fatigue and “brain fog,” or difficulty concentrating or remembering things. As of February 2022, the syndrome was estimated to affect about 16 million adults in the U.S. and had forced between two million and four million Americans out of the workforce, many of whom have yet to return. Long COVID often arises in otherwise healthy young people, and it can follow even a mild initial infection. The risk appears at least slightly higher in people who were hospitalized for COVID and in older adults (who end up in the hospital more often). Women and those at socioeconomic disadvantage also face higher risk, as do people who smoke, are obese, or have any of an array of health conditions, particularly autoimmune disease. Vaccination appears to reduce the danger but does not entirely prevent long COVID.

The most common, persistent and disabling symptoms of long COVID are neurological. Some are easily recognized as brain- or nerve-related: many people experience cognitive dysfunction in the form of difficulty with memory, attention, sleep and mood. Others may seem rooted more in the body than the brain, such as pain and postexertional malaise (PEM), a kind of “energy crash” that people experience after even mild exercise. But those, too, result from nerve dysfunction, often in the autonomic nervous system, which directs our bodies to breathe and digest food and generally runs our organs on autopilot. This so-called dysautonomia can lead to dizziness, a racing heart, high or low blood pressure, and gut disturbances, sometimes leaving people unable to work or even function independently.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is new, but postviral syndromes are not. Research on other viruses, and on neurological damage from the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in particular, is guiding work on long COVID. And the recognition that the syndrome may cause its many effects through the brain and the nervous system is beginning to shape approaches to medical treatment. “I now think of COVID as a neurological disease as much as I think of it as a pulmonary disease, and that's definitely true in long COVID,” says William Pittman, a physician at UCLA Health in Los Angeles, who treats Ghormley and many similar patients.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe this will encourage more research into treatment for lifelong CFS from mono/epstein barr, which I believe is a very long standing problem of mine.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:52 pm Maybe this will encourage more research into treatment for lifelong CFS from mono/epstein barr, which I believe is a very long standing problem of mine.
from the article:
Postviral syndromes have been documented for more than a century, arising after infection with viruses from HIV to the flu. Epstein-Barr virus, which causes mononucleosis, is one of several viruses linked to a condition called myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), which is estimated to affect at least one and a half million people in the U.S. ME/CFS bears striking resemblances to long COVID, with symptoms such as immune system dysregulation, fatigue and cognitive dysfunction. “One of the patterns we see is patients who definitely meet the criteria for ME/CFS. This is something we are seeing and treating all the time” in long COVID patients, Pittman says. ME/CFS can be severe, with some people losing mobility and becoming bedbound.

Nath, who also studies ME/CFS, says that “we think mechanistically they are going to be related.” Researchers suspect that ME/CFS, like some cases of long COVID, could be autoimmune in nature, with autoantibodies keeping the immune system activated. ME/CFS has been difficult to study because it often arises long after a mild infection, making it hard to identify a viral trigger. But with long COVID, Nath says, “the advantage is that we know exactly what started the process, and you can catch cases early in the [development of] ME/CFS-like symptoms.” In people who have had ME/CFS for years, “it's done damage, and it's hard to reverse that.” Nath speculates that for long COVID, if doctors could study people early in the illness, they would have a better chance of reversing the process.

Torgerson hopes that researchers will ultimately come to better understand ME/CFS because of COVID. “COVID has been more carefully studied with better technology in the time we've had it than any other infectious disease ever. I think we'll learn things that will be applicable to other inflammatory diseases driven by infection followed by an autoimmune process.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

n people who have had ME/CFS for years, “it's done damage, and it's hard to reverse that.”
:cry:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Indeed, some of the most vocal people I've seen online are from ME/CFS groups that have been pointing out the overwhelming similarities between ME/CFS and many of the individuals identified with Long Covid.

It really is something to have a virus that spreads through the respiratory tract potentially focused on attacking the cardiovascular and nervous system.

I also just received my official "Talking Points" document for the upcoming federal end to the COVID-19 Emergency declaration. It's not a public document and I'm still processing it, but I feel greasy just reading it. I need to digest it some more and I'll share what I can; I'd imagine you're all going to start seeing these things in the news to help get you ready for the next phase.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Did you say get ready for the next stage?

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think he said 'next phage.'
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The good news is that if we, as a dystopian civilization, have decided that everyone is just going to contract COVID over and over again, then eventually everyone will have Long COVID. There will be plenty of data for researchers to pore over (on the days when they have the energy to get out of bed) and it will be super profitable for whichever pharmaceutical megacorp that develops an effective therapeutic to manage the condition.

:coffee:
Last edited by Max Peck on Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's a quote that I've creatively edited to avoid problems. I could be talking about anything here!
This could result in a gradual erosion of the consistency and comprehensiveness of [mysterious illness] laboratory result reporting data to state and local authorities (which in turn would affect the quality of the data they report to [federal agency that is tasked with collecting and communicating data]).
All this would result in:
Percent positivity metric will likely no longer be available.
▪ Transmission Levels, used primarily for healthcare settings, would no longer be calculated , as they involve case and test positivity data.

▪ [Federal Agency] is determining how to address healthcare guidance without use of Transmission Levels.
It feels like...if we're acknowledging this now, maybe we should re-think what's about to happen? Nah.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm fairly confident that will all be working as intended. If people can't see the problem, they won't be upset by the problem.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What problem?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Exactly. Meanwhile, diabetes:
People who’ve had Covid-19 have a higher risk of developing diabetes, and that link seems to have persisted into the Omicron era, a new study finds.

Mounting evidence suggests Covid-19 infections are tied to a new diagnosis of diabetes, though it’s not clear whether this relationship is a coincidence or cause-and-effect.

The raw data showed that people who’d had Covid-19 had higher risks of being diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure after their infections.

But when the researchers adjusted those numbers to account for the benchmark diagnosis, only the risk of diabetes remained significantly elevated. Covid-19 increased the odds of a new diabetes diagnosis by an average of about 58%.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:35 am Exactly. Meanwhile, diabetes:
People who’ve had Covid-19 have a higher risk of developing diabetes, and that link seems to have persisted into the Omicron era, a new study finds.

Mounting evidence suggests Covid-19 infections are tied to a new diagnosis of diabetes, though it’s not clear whether this relationship is a coincidence or cause-and-effect.

The raw data showed that people who’d had Covid-19 had higher risks of being diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure after their infections.

But when the researchers adjusted those numbers to account for the benchmark diagnosis, only the risk of diabetes remained significantly elevated. Covid-19 increased the odds of a new diabetes diagnosis by an average of about 58%.
That's odd. I thought that was a known. I know I have a cousin who had easily managed diabetes is now off the chart and led to hospitalization after catching COVID. That was at the same time her brother passed from the same spreader event... His wedding.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It was known before Omicron; this study is demonstrating that new variants haven't changed what was originally observed in 2020/21.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If anyone is shopping for N95s, my supplier of choice (Vitacore) is having a buy one, get one 50% off sale (code BOGO50 at checkout, valid until Feb 23).

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:30 pm If anyone is shopping for N95s, my supplier of choice (Vitacore) is having a buy one, get one 50% off sale (code BOGO50 at checkout, valid until Feb 23).
No need
He/Him/His/Porcupine