R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Jeff V »

It's always sad when someone who is meaningful to someone here passes but I never heard of him.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety: Jim Gordon, Drummer for Eric Clapton and ‘Layla’ Co-Writer Who Was Convicted of Murder, Dies at 77
Jim Gordon, a top drummer for Eric Clapton, George Harrison and countless others who was diagnosed with schizophrenia after murdering his mother in 1983, has died.

According to the announcement, he died Monday from natural causes at California Medical Facility in Vacavillle, Calif., after a long incarceration and lifelong battle with mental illness. He was 77.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Co-writer should be in quotes too. His writing claim on that is very suspect.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

yes edited
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:18 am Time for a new fan

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a ... 0svav1.mp4
I'm going to assume you put this in the wrong thread.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lance Reddick dead at 60. :(

Will never forget him in The Wire and Fringe. Also voiced Zavala in Destiny 2. Amazing actor, amazing voice.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Wow. That is a real shocker. What a talent.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:(
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

McNutt wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:07 pm Wow. That is a real shocker. What a talent.
Agreed. One of my favorite actors. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn. He was amazing in everything he was in. 😞
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Well shit. Thought he was great in the John Wick movies, too. R.I.P. Concierge.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another one of my favorites. RIP.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:18 am Time for a new fan

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a ... 0svav1.mp4
I'm going to assume you put this in the wrong thread.
yep
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I remember Lance Reddick from Fringe mostly and loved him in that role. Wow, only 60 which is way too young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Can you remember to your youth and saying 60 years olde is too young?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah man, one of my favorite character actors. That voice was right up there with James Earl Jones when it came to unique and commanding. :(
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:11 pm Can you remember to your youth and saying 60 years olde is too young?
:lol: To be fair, 60 WAS old back then. People just aged faster, or at least more visibly.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

People complain about modern diets, about limits on unhealthy fats, sugars, and so on. They complain about changes to fast food, to gasoline, about restrictions of technologies to reduce pollution and bans on certain substances. But it really does have a long-term impact, and yeah - we may not live that much longer now (about 4 years, give or take, from when I was a 'kid', which I'm calling at 10 years old), but between healthier habits, healthier environments, and medical advancements, the years we do live tend to be of higher quality.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:11 pm Can you remember to your youth and saying 60 years olde is too young?
No, I remember being amazed that my then-30-something parents were still alive given all of the murders and war deaths reported on the news. My 7 year old self actually marveled that anyone managed to live long enough to achieve old age. And this was the 60's -- not today when mass shootings are no longer front page news.

Then I was a teenager when a friend and I vowed we'd live the lyric "Hope I die before I get old" from My Generation (funnily, the man who wrote the lyric and the one who sang it are in their late 70's and the only survivors of The Who). We figured 30 was old enough. My friend checked out at 55, lived just long enough to see his daughters off to college. I need to stick around another dozen years to say the same.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Remember the movie from the 60s where everyone over 35 was put into a concentration camp?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:21 am Remember the movie from the 60s where everyone over 35 was put into a concentration camp?
No, but I remember Solyent Green.
Black Lives Matter
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:21 am Remember the movie from the 60s where everyone over 35 was put into a concentration camp?
I remember Logan's Run, but I think they just outright murdered people when they got too old in that movie.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:42 pm
:lol: To be fair, 60 WAS old back then. People just aged faster, or at least more visibly.
60 was old and 70 was ancient. I mean Ben Kenobie had to be in his 70s, right? He was old but got around well enough for his advance age...
Therefore, Obi-Wan is 57 years old in A New Hope. Sir Alec Guinness, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy, was 62 years old when filming A New Hope.
/counts on one hand years until he is 57...

Nowadays I think of mid 80s as old, mainly because that's when I see the rapid decline of those I know who were in the 80s and getting around better than I do. :( I mean, I won't get there, but otherwise healthy people seem to hit a brick wall then unless they are part of a very small minority. That's also about the time the slipping and falling can be something you don't really bounce back from.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Chraolic wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:27 am
I remember Logan's Run, but I think they just outright murdered people when they got too old in that movie.
Yep, the entire concept revolved around a purge. Once Logan discovers this, he tries to escape the society. Of course, the TV series could have been different? A similar play on this concept is 2005's The Island starring Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor, which I think involves a concentration camp on an island.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember two different TOS star trek eps where people were killed by lotto. One was an overpopulated planet that was trying to join the federation and at a certain age or some lotto you reported to the suicide booth. In another 2 planets had been waging a war so long it became a digital war only so their cities were spared and attacks were generated by a computer. The number who died were sent into the said suicide booths to die. Weird ass stuff.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:15 pm I remember two different TOS star trek eps where people were killed by lotto. One was an overpopulated planet that was trying to join the federation and at a certain age or some lotto you reported to the suicide booth. In another 2 planets had been waging a war so long it became a digital war only so they cities were spared and attacks were generated by a computer. The number who died were sent into the said suicide booths to die. Weird ass stuff.
Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dammit, Charles!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Sudy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:59 pm Lance Reddick dead at 60. :(

Will never forget him in The Wire and Fringe. Also voiced Zavala in Destiny 2. Amazing actor, amazing voice.
I loved him in Quantum Break. What an amazing presence he had, even in a video game.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Discarded when you reach 60 or more points? Brutal.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Gordon Moore, Intel co-founder and creator of Moore's Law, dies aged 94
Silicon Valley pioneer and philanthropist Gordon Moore has died aged 94 in Hawaii.

Mr Moore started working on semiconductors in the 1950s and co-founded the Intel Corporation.

He famously predicted that computer processing powers would double every year - later revised to every two - an insight known as Moore's Law.

That "law" became the bedrock for the computer processor industry and influenced the PC revolution.

Two decades before the computer revolution began, Moore wrote in a paper that integrated circuits would lead "to such wonders as home computers - or at least terminals connected to a central computer - automatic controls for automobiles, and personal portable communications equipment".

He observed, in the 1965 article, that thanks to technological improvements the number of transistors on microchips had roughly doubled every year since integrated circuits were invented a few years earlier.

His prediction that this would continue became known as Moore's Law, and it helped push chipmakers to target their research to make this come true.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The guy was a real future thinker. RIP to the father of the industry in a way.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

This would fall into the "otherwise" category (thought we had a more appropriate thread but I can't find it)

We moved into our house 6 years ago. A few months later, we were plotting a large combined birthday party for our kids, and decided we could use a few things like extra tables and coolers, just for the day. I put out an APB on the subdivision's Facebook page, and got a quick response from a family a few blocks away that we'd not yet met. I offered to pick it up, but the wife, Xiomy, said her husband Ramon would drop off several tables and coolers. Of course, we extended an invite to the party, and a friendship began. We couldn't ask for nicer neighbor's in the 'hood, and when I lost my job, Ramon offered to see if anything was available in his company (Black and Decker -- and there wasn't, at least what he sent was not up my alley). Their daughter Madeline became friends with my kids, she was in my son's taekwondo class, and my daughter considered her to be "my sister." At Madeline's birthday 2 years ago, property values started skyrocketing and Ramon asked when I'd be selling. I told him no plans, and asked if he was. He said "maybe a year"; they were gone within 3 months to Florida. We met up with them for dinner last summer while at Disney, and they'd since moved to South Carolina. I believe Ramon was a technical sales person, with a territory in the SE.

On 3/17, we were shocked to learn Ramon had been diagnosed with colon cancer, and it already spread to his liver. Yesterday we were even more shocked to learn he passed away Sunday evening, just 10 days later. I'm not sure his age, but it couldn't be much more than 40. His daughter is 8, and his wife has always had a home baking business, which she has to rebuild every time they move.

The world lost another truly good person.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:( RIP. That's brutal.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sorry to hear about your friend. Sound like great folk. I always think bad stuff shouldn't happen to good folk when i hear stuff like this.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wow, that's sad. Colon cancer is surging among younger people, and science doesn't know why. It doesn't present symptoms until it's well advanced so the mortality rate is high. But geez, 10 days from diagnosis to death is brutal.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I suspect McDonald's has something to do with it.
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:05 pm I suspect McDonald's has something to do with it.
Going with pesticides and/or fertilizer in the food supply, myself.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Is artificial sweeteners in the betting pool? Or simply a reduced level of activity in the era of social media?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember when they declared saccharin caused cancer and tried to ban it. That was over 60 years ago. I've used it every day for over 60 years and no cancer results.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:38 pm I remember when they declared saccharin caused cancer and tried to ban it. That was over 60 years ago. I've used it every day for over 60 years and no cancer results.
That was only for a brief time after it was shown to cause cancer in rats. It was determined to be through a mechanism that doesn't apply to humans, and it isn't even considered a possible carcinogen anymore.