R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Daehawk »

Always loved that story. Heard it again just a week ago or so. RIP. Didn't now he was that old.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

At 19, my dad served a 2-year Mormon mission in Germany. While there, he met a lovely couple named Jockel and Joyce Reisner. They became fast friends and stayed connected over the 60 years since. Growing up, we always knew Jockel and Joyce as our "German Family". They visited the US multiple times, taking long road trips with mom, dad, my brother and I to California, Las Vegas, the southern Utah National Parks, and other areas.

Jockel loved soccer and when he found out I had received a soccer scholarship, he and Joyce both came to stay with us for 6 weeks just so he could train with me to get ready to play at the collegiate level. He was an amazing athlete, and I could barely keep up with him during my athletic peak at 20...and he was nearly 60!

Jockel was an artist of some renown, with incredible paintings, drawings, and sculptures displayed all over Germany. I have three of his original sculptures at my house, which are some of my most cherished possessions.

After mom passed last October, we found a photo copy in a file drawer of what looked like a drawing of my dad when he was much younger. The style looked very similar to Jockel's, so we reached out to him to ask if it was one that he had done. Around 6 weeks later, a very large package arrived at my house with German postmarks. Inside was the original drawing, sent by Jockel with a note. It said that he did this drawing of dad in 1967, towards the end of his mission. He had kept it at his house all these years since, but felt like it was best that we have it since both mom and dad had passed. I can't quite bring myself to hang it up in my own home yet...maybe someday.

We got a written letter from Joyce today (she doesn't do e-mail) that Jockel passed away last month from a brain aneurysm. He was as close to family as one could get without being actual family. The world has lost an immense talent, and we have lost a good friend.

RIP Jockel. It was truly an honor to have known you.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nice story of loss and gain.

We could have had a German friend like that after Oktoberfest...we spent the night drinking with Walter ("Valter") and some friends, exchanged addresses, and sent a few letters back and forth. Visits were mentioned, but never happened, and we eventually stopped writing. He signed his letters "Many lovely hugs and kisses," which still amuses us to this day. I wonder if ol' Valter is dead by now, as he was several years older than us. Maybe not. Germany has much better healthcare than we do.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A bright yet sad story Skiny. RIP Jockel.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

R.I.P. Tina Turner.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

AWS260 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:51 pm R.I.P. Tina Turner.
Just saw this...damnit.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

She was a very talented person and I enjoyed her performances. RIP
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Body just aged and wore out. She will always remain one of the greatest female singers or rock/pop/soul/ballads there was. Put her mark on stuff before I was a fan.I didn't care for her early cover stuff with Ike but found her in the 1980s with her hits then and of course the Mad Max Thunderdome appearance and song.

She had been out of the public spotlight lately and she got older and stopped doing all appearances. I'll always remember her for her big wig hairdos and unique gruff powerful sound. She commanded the room she was in. Always an eye catcher in clothes style and music meanings. Started her life right here in Tennessee.

Thanks Tina for the sound and look and all the stuff that went with it through the decades. Shame she had to put up with Ike Turner and all the shit he done to her.

Rest now princess of sound.And thank you love. They better be good to you up there. :wub:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I never cared much for her music, but she was immensely talented and an absolute force of nature. Watching her perform was always amazing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good god, Tina had a voice. Truly one of the greats. RIP :(
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And what a life. She never did anything nice and easy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Thunderdome - We Don’t Need Another Hero
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:18 pm Good god, Tina had a voice. Truly one of the greats. RIP :(
Indeed. There are some people/bands/artists that are like their own ingredient or spice to our world, even if you were not entirely enamoured with her work... as she said, "What's love got to do with it?"

RIP
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What I think is amazing is that she had her career in the 60s and 70s, but an entire generation (me, it's me) knows her because of her presence on the MTV. In other words, she somehow managed to make an impression when the entire music industry changed. Not too many artists from prior to 1980 can claim the same in those early days of music television.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember her mainly from the early days when they sung the CCR hit "Rollin down the river".
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:34 pm What I think is amazing is that she had her career in the 60s and 70s, but an entire generation (me, it's me) knows her because of her presence on the MTV. In other words, she somehow managed to make an impression when the entire music industry changed. Not too many artists from prior to 1980 can claim the same in those early days of music television.
Some serious parkour before we really realize it was a thing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I saw her WAY back in the day when she was still with Ike. Major talent. RIP.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:44 pm I remember her mainly from the early days when they sung the CCR hit "Rollin down the river".
They played that as the tribute song on the radio station I listen to all day. Not really surprised since it was big for her, but the station doesn't really play CCR, but they do play a lot of The Who and I was hoping they'd follow it up with The Acid Queen. They only gave her one song (Christie McVie got 4 or 5 IIRC to name a similar casualty). Hopefully some of the later DJs added in another song or two at least.

She was always a great voice and terrific performer, it's a sad day.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:26 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:44 pm I remember her mainly from the early days when they sung the CCR hit "Rollin down the river".
They played that (the song is Proud Mary) as the tribute song on the radio station I listen to all day. Not really surprised since it was big for her, but the station doesn't really play CCR, but they do play a lot of The Who and I was hoping they'd follow it up with The Acid Queen. They only gave her one song (Christie McVie got 4 or 5 IIRC to name a similar casualty). Hopefully some of the later DJs added in another song or two at least.

She was always a great voice and terrific performer, it's a sad day.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS News
Tina Turner, who died at age 83 after a long illness, had hypertension, or high blood pressure, which affected her kidneys and required a lifesaving kidney donation from her husband, Erwin Bach, in 2017.

Turner once penned an essay for the Show Your Kidneys Love campaign, which spreads awareness about kidney disease. In the essay, Turner said for a long time she didn't realize the importance of treating her hypertension, and acknowledged she had put herself "at great danger by refusing to accept the reality that I required daily medication for the rest of my life."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP to all. Lordy Stella Stevens was a looker. So much time passes so fast. And I dont know what that thumbnail is of.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In the category of 'people I didn't know where still alive', RIP to Ed Ames. He had a great solo singing voice, and I used to really enjoy the Ames Brothers (especially Ragg Mopp.)

And who can forget the tomahawk?

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, the hits keep on coming.

Mom’s last remaining sibling passed peacefully in her sleep last night. Aunt Sharon was 92 and while she was still in great shape for that age, she was still 92. She was really starting to have a hard time getting around and had said how much she missed her sisters. This one’s more of a relief than anything, but it’s hard to believe that they’re all gone, four of mom’s family in the past year alone. 😢
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oof. Sorry, SP. That's rough. RIP.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

My condolences, Skinypupy. You've been through a lot.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Condolences Sp.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So sorry Skinypupy.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So sorry you had so much loss in such a short time.

Wife and I had a year something like that when we were 35. We lost a pet, both of our fathers, and a cousin. I remember that it took a long time to shake the feeling of dread that death was a close presence.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My condolences as well, Skinnypuppy.

By the way, my friend's father who I eulogized a few months ago lost his brother last week. He was in a home with severe dementia. There is one brother left, also in a nursing home after his wife died of Covid last year.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Pat Robertson

It's unseemly to speak ill of the dead so I will only say that the world is a slightly better place today.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ditto
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri - "The Iron Sheik" (Mar 14, 1942 - Jun 7, 2023)

Not a bad run, given the beating his body must have taken over the course of his wrestling career.

Pro wrestling icon the Iron Sheik dead at 81
The Iron Sheik, a former pro wrestler who relished playing a burly, bombastic villain in 1980s battles with some of the sport's biggest stars and later became a popular Twitter personality, died on Wednesday, the WWE said. He was 81.

The wrestling organization posted an article confirming his death, and a statement about his passing was also posted on his Twitter page giving details of his life. Neither statement mentioned a cause of death nor where he died, but the Twitter post said he "departed this world peacefully."

The Iron Sheik, whose real name was Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri, grew up in a small village in Iran, where he embraced wrestling in his youth.

During his pro wrestling career, he donned curled boots and used the "Camel Clutch" as his finishing move during individual and tag team clashes in which he played the role of an anti-American heel for the WWF, which later became the WWE.

The mustachioed, barrel-chested brawler often riled up crowds with his anti-American persona and rhetoric, often alongside tag-team partner Nikolai Volkoff, who played the part of a Soviet villain. They won the WWF World Tag Team Championship in 1985 at the first WrestleMania, according to the biography posted on the WWE's internet page.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Used to hate on him in the 80s. RIP.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Iron Sheik was a really good bad guy. Very entertaining. RIP
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exodor wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:43 am Pat Robertson

It's unseemly to speak ill of the dead so I will only say that the world is a slightly better place today.
I'm not known for being seemly. Good riddance.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I thought Pat Robertson died years ago, but maybe I'm thinking of the other famous one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Exodor wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:43 am Pat Robertson

Well, I have nothing bad to say about the dead Pat Roberts... I actually like the dead Pat Roberts.

When he was alive; he was a horrible person and brought pain and fear into a lot of people's lives. He was a terrible human who used his power in terrible ways.

But I won't say a bad thing about the dead Pat Roberts, either.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:06 pm I thought Pat Robertson died years ago, but maybe I'm thinking of the other famous one.
Jerry Falwell, maybe (almost 20 years ago).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As for Pat.....Im pretty sure his nuts are roasting right about now...if there's a place that roasts nuts. Well deserved global warming vacation.