[movies] Knives Out series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: [movie] Knives Out

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:27 pm Was the first one a Netflix movie as well? I don't remember hearing much of it.
No, it was a theatrical release in 2019. Made $165.9M in the US and Canada so I'm surprised you wouldn't have heard about it.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was released in theaters to quite a bit if critical praise. It was a Liongate release, I believe.

Doh: pr0ner beat me to it. But yeah, I agree. It’s surprising that you hadn’t heard much about it/saw much about it.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, sometimes these movies simply don't get a very wide release over here. It could have gotten released to the independent art-house theatre where I am. There are a lot of movies that I end up wanting to see but end up having no local showings and then end up finding them on streaming services years later.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It had a rather large release in Canada. But it is an English language film, so people whose first language is Canadian like yourself might have just ignored it.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Come on, Hep. I'm trying to discuss this seriously. Gets rather tiring to keep hearing stuff like that time and again.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read that Glass Onion was supposed to test Netflix's strategy of becoming a major theatrical film company before streaming. Previously, they've gone into just enough theaters to be an Oscar contender and to build buzz for streaming. A faction within Netflix wanted Glass Onion to open in 2,000 theaters, but it ultimately only went to 638 screens, and only for a week, as the streaming-first faction won out. Ah, here's a story that explains it better.

I'm looking forward to seeing it next month.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:41 pm Well, sometimes these movies simply don't get a very wide release over here. It could have gotten released to the independent art-house theatre where I am. There are a lot of movies that I end up wanting to see but end up having no local showings and then end up finding them on streaming services years later.
Knives Out was in no way consigned to arthouse movies. It was a wide release with a great cast directed by someone who had just directed a Star War.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:32 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:41 pm Well, sometimes these movies simply don't get a very wide release over here. It could have gotten released to the independent art-house theatre where I am. There are a lot of movies that I end up wanting to see but end up having no local showings and then end up finding them on streaming services years later.
Knives Out was in no way consigned to arthouse movies. It was a wide release with a great cast directed by someone who had just directed a Star War.
I'm saying, that's the way it might have been released in Canada. Even when these movies are big releases, they sometimes still get only released in smaller theatres. That's been my experience. Doesn't mean it's that way everywhere else. But I don't remember ever seeing it at the big cineplex. Aside from the independent, there's only the big multiplex in town, and I don't remember seeing it listed there. And timing is key too. Sometimes even if it is a wide release, sometimes they won't stay long, like a week at most. It might not have been on my radar when it was playing.

Anyway, safe to say I haven't seen it, but I'll have to look out for it. I wonder if Netflix would have it, if only for a short time, to promote this sequel.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I didn't realize this movie was out until reading it in this thread. We go to the movies at least 2-3 times a month, and I've seen posters for it in the movie theater but not a single trailer, which is really odd.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I didn't see any ads for Knives Out either. The first I heard of it was when people started praising it (but ragging on the accent) online. Of course I don't go to many movies so I never see trailers but for many big movies I see trailers online or whatnot well before release.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:36 pm Come on, Hep. I'm trying to discuss this seriously. Gets rather tiring to keep hearing stuff like that time and again.
I assumed this was just another entry in a running joke making me out to be the dumb American who has no clue about Canada. Something to use to lighten the mood when we disagree about something. I assumed incorrectly, it seems. I will refrain from doing so in the future.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:08 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:32 pm
I'm saying, that's the way it might have been released in Canada. Even when these movies are big releases, they sometimes still get only released in smaller theatres. That's been my experience. Doesn't mean it's that way everywhere else. But I don't remember ever seeing it at the big cineplex. Aside from the independent, there's only the big multiplex in town, and I don't remember seeing it listed there. And timing is key too. Sometimes even if it is a wide release, sometimes they won't stay long, like a week at most. It might not have been on my radar when it was playing.

Anyway, safe to say I haven't seen it, but I'll have to look out for it. I wonder if Netflix would have it, if only for a short time, to promote this sequel.
A Wayback machine search shows Knives Out was released in "normal" cinemas in Canada. It was at the Cineplex SilverCity Sudbury Cinemas, for example.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:22 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:36 pm Come on, Hep. I'm trying to discuss this seriously. Gets rather tiring to keep hearing stuff like that time and again.
I assumed this was just another entry in a running joke making me out to be the dumb American who has no clue about Canada. Something to use to lighten the mood when we disagree about something. I assumed incorrectly, it seems. I will refrain from doing so in the future.
It's just irritating when it's done all the time, Hep. Makes it feel like nothing can be discussed without these jabs, and it feels condescending. If the situation were reversed , I don't think you'd like it either.
pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:37 pm
A Wayback machine search shows Knives Out was released in "normal" cinemas in Canada. It was at the Cineplex SilverCity Sudbury Cinemas, for example.
Yeah, that's our big multiplex in town. Other than the two other smaller independents. For a long time we didn't even have independents and only that multiplex not leaving us with many options.

Ok so I still wonder how long it was there. Maybe I briefly considered going to see with a friend of mine, but I think what happened is she'd already seen it and I never went and lost interest.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

What a hilarious movie Glass Onion is. A treat to watch. Not *quite* as good as Knives Out, but 100% worth watching.
Hodor.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Watched Glass Onion on Netflix tonight. I really enjoyed it. I would say every bit as good as Knives Out, and maybe better.

I will need repeat viewings of both to make a final conclusion.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I also saw it tonight, although I dozed through half an hour in the middle under the influence of a big plate of pasta and a glass of red wine. I don't feel like I missed much since I'm no good at piecing together whodunnits on my own; the recap filled in the blanks for me. Both of these movies were great fun and I hope they keep the franchise going.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My thoughts from the Netflix thread:

Fun, stylish, and visually gorgeous...
Spoiler:
...but ultimately lacks the charm and social conscience of its predecessor. I admit I'd have to watch it several times to piece together whether it all made sense, but superficially the final reveal was disappointing and the climax was preposterous. Maybe that's the point? I have no idea. I definitely recommend it for the fun characters and cameos alone, but it doesn't make the excellent impression the original did. (But then, I haven't re-watched that so I'm not certain it holds up. But in my memory it does.) One background character was a humorous but supremely unsatisfying red herring (unless I missed something... and I'm sure I missed many things).

Ultimately, I'm let down. (And this was one of the films I was most excited for this year.) Maybe that will change after I read the breakdowns. The thing is, I didn't have to seek an explanation to love the original. But as a parody and homage it's fantastic, and I look forward to part three. How can something so intentionally stale feel so fresh?

(Not really spoilers, but I don't want to taint the experience for anyone else.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MHS wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 pm
Someone should change the thread title to reflect the move to a franchise. :coffee:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think this one was a lot better.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
MHS

Post by MHS »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:44 pm
Someone should change the thread title to reflect the move to a franchise. :coffee:
I gotcha.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
hepcat

Re: [movies] Knives Out series

Post by hepcat »

….something like Knifey McKnifeface
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MHS wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:34 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:44 pm
I gotcha.
:D Thank you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ill cross post this to be sure its seen. Good interview. Daniel as a normal person.

Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Watched this last night. All things considered I think I prefer the original, but I really enjoyed this as well. It was mildly heavy handed on the "tech bro billionaires are actually idiots!" thing, but on the other hand feels like that's an important point to hammer home these days.

And the cast was amazing.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Glass Onion started out OK, but some things were disappointing, especially Craig's character didn't seem to do all that much. Specifics:
Spoiler:
The unknown twin sister? Please.
The bullet stopping book in the breast pocket? Spare me.
The big man is deathly allergic to pineapple juice but doesn't taste it in his drink?
They destroyed the Mona Lisa to make a lame point.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:46 pm Glass Onion started out OK, but some things were disappointing, especially Craig's character didn't seem to do all that much. Specifics:
Spoiler:
The unknown twin sister? Please.
The bullet stopping book in the breast pocket? Spare me.
The big man is deathly allergic to pineapple juice but doesn't taste it in his drink?
They destroyed the Mona Lisa to make a lame point.
Viewing it as an attempt at an original story, I wholeheartedly agree and that stuff did bug me. But as a meta-parody of a genre in which most of the tropes have been done to death, I could appreciate it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I thought Glass Onion was excellent, at least as good as the first one.
In some ways, it reminded me a bit of Don't Look Up as well (but was better).

I think I'm no a fan of Rian Johnson, as long as it's not a Star War.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

While I thought the climax was mostly just silly, I was thoroughly entertained throughout by Glass Onion. Definitely worth a watch, although I think the first one was quite a bit better (mostly due to this one's ending). Excellent performances all around from a stellar cast.

Also, the actress who played Whiskey is absolutely stunning. Good lord.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

She'll do.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I liked Craig in it and enjoyed it, even if it was pretty silly in the end.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I started watching Glass Onion last night but haven't seen knives out.

Should I be watching Knives Out first?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

naednek wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:07 pm I started watching Glass Onion last night but haven't seen knives out.

Should I be watching Knives Out first?
Not necessary, the two films are unrelated.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think watching the first one first may give you a better idea of Craig's character, but I agree it isn't strictly necessary. It's kind of like Columbo in that regard. The stories and most (all?) of the characters beyond Craig are distinct.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We watched this last night and the three of us enjoyed it as much as the original. Having seen the first one it was easier to see Craig in the part.

As for the story, while not perfect it was fun.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

We really enjoyed it not despite but because it was silly. It's clear that everyone involved was having a great time, which is something that can really elevate a not-quite-perfect script.

I started cackling when I realized that the online friends with whom Blanc was playing AMONG US were Stephen Sondheim, Angela Lansbury, Natasha Lyonne, and Kareem-Abdul Jabbar (all identified in Zoom with their correct names).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:52 pm I think I'm no a fan of Rian Johnson, as long as it's not a Star War.
Why you no a fan of Rian Johnson? You a not a serious, are you? Mama mia, so confusing!

———————-

Anyway, I watched it earlier tonight. I enjoyed it, but it definitely didn’t impress me as much as the first one. There’s a formula Johnson uses for the first one that helped it walk a line between silly and serious, and Glass Onion doesn’t seem to get that formula right. It’s still a very good film, don’t get me wrong. I just expected less slapstick, I guess.

But as Rian made Brick, one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, I may be overly critical as I expect nothing less than greatness with anything he does.

…I just a wish they’d a let him a make another a Star War. Mama mia, that was so good!
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We watched this last week and I thought it was great fun. It doesn't quite live up to the original (I suspect because it lacks the novelty of the original - I really didn't know what to expect from it), but the cast was great and the plotting was fun.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:47 pm
Archinerd wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:52 pm I think I'm noW a fan of Rian Johnson, as long as it's not a Star War.
Why you no a fan of Rian Johnson? You a not a serious, are you? Mama mia, so confusing!

Oops, accidentally forgot a w.