Peacock. NBC's new streaming service.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Peacock. NBC's new streaming service.

Post by Isgrimnur »

Saved by the Bell
Spoiler:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brave New World
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Capture
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
Gidon Katz, the company’s president of direct to consumer, believes Peacock can win by leaning into something most of its biggest competitors won’t: offering premium entertainment, mostly for free.

When Peacock launches tomorrow across the United States, people can choose between three different tiers: a completely free ad-supported version that gives people access to more than 13,000 hours of content, daily news and sports programming, and samplings of Peacock original series, but not full access. Then there’s Peacock Premium, a $4.99-a-month version that gives people more than 20,000 hours of content, including all Peacock Originals and exclusive live programming but will still feature some ads. Lastly, there’s a $9.99-a-month version that offers the same thing without any ads. (The $4.99 tier will be free for Comcast and Cox subscribers.)
Plus, even the paid tiers have their limitations. There’s no access to NBC’s regular linear channel, just Peacock’s curated live feeds — a major difference from other services like CBS All Access, which does offer its traditional channel for $5.99 a month. And while NBCUniversal sees Peacock as a basic cable replacement of sorts, it’ll still only offer NBCUniversal content, meaning it can’t compete with more fleshed-out (but expensive) TV replacement services like Sling TV, YouTube TV, or FuboTV. That leaves Peacock as more of an NBC-exclusive version of basic cable with a lot of limitations, rather than a true basic cable replacement.
Eventually, the goal for NBCUniversal is to give the $4.99 Peacock Premium tier away for free to everyone via distribution agreements with every major pay-TV provider like Comcast and Cox, and other platforms like Roku and Amazon, which Peacock currently isn’t announced on. Peacock chairman Matt Strauss told Variety the endgame is having “the majority of market to be able to get Peacock free.”
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If it's free to Comcrap streaming customers (as opposed to full cable subscribers) then I might install the app, but I will continue not paying for any single network's content.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:43 pm If it's free to Comcrap streaming customers (as opposed to full cable subscribers) then I might install the app, but I will continue not paying for any single network's content.
I respect your commitment, but Peacock had me at more Psych.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I got the free version that comes from having an Android device (ad supported, doesn't have access to all content). It was enough to allow us to watch the new Psych movie last night. It was as good as ever, with the whole gang being back (including a brief appearance by Mary). Sean and Gus were the same as ever, and it was nice that they were able to make Lassiter such a big part of the movie and work Omundson's real-life stroke limitations into the movie. Sarah Chalke was a fun addition (with a nice Scrubs reference early on).

I also want to watch the 30 Rock reunion show, but after that there's not much there that interests me. It seems like Peacock's target is people who want to watch old episodes of classic TV (or new shows based on those properties). We're paying for Netflix and Disney+, I consider Prime TV free because we'd be getting Amazon Prime anyway, and I get HBOMax for free as an employee (although you should all definitely sign up for it and pay for it). That combined with AT&T TV and DishTV (both free on the employee discount, although again you should probably all sign up for both of those services (plus UVerse, if that's still available)) gives me more than enough to watch.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
Peacock has issued an eight-episode order for a “MacGruber” series which will see Will Forte reprise the role he created while on “Saturday Night Live.” News of the pick up was announced at the NBCUniversal streamer’s TCA press day, and comes around eight months after the show was first put in development.

The half-hour series is an adaptation of the 2010 feature film of the same name, and will also be directed by the film’s helmer Jorma Taccone, of Lonely Island fame.

Peacock’s take on “MacGruber” will begin with the main character, described as America’s ultimate hero and uber patriot, being released from prison after rotting in there for over a decade.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:09 pm I got the free version that comes from having an Android device (ad supported, doesn't have access to all content). It was enough to allow us to watch the new Psych movie last night. It was as good as ever, with the whole gang being back (including a brief appearance by Mary). Sean and Gus were the same as ever, and it was nice that they were able to make Lassiter such a big part of the movie and work Omundson's real-life stroke limitations into the movie. Sarah Chalke was a fun addition (with a nice Scrubs reference early on).

I also want to watch the 30 Rock reunion show, but after that there's not much there that interests me. It seems like Peacock's target is people who want to watch old episodes of classic TV (or new shows based on those properties). We're paying for Netflix and Disney+, I consider Prime TV free because we'd be getting Amazon Prime anyway, and I get HBOMax for free as an employee (although you should all definitely sign up for it and pay for it). That combined with AT&T TV and DishTV (both free on the employee discount, although again you should probably all sign up for both of those services (plus UVerse, if that's still available)) gives me more than enough to watch.
You will be happy to know I am a Uverse customer for over a decade now.

Do I direct my complaints about my DVR randomly losing several hours of recorded TV 1 night to you? (not space, we were at most 50% full; Google suggested the DVR can become corrupt and 10 second power reset might recover them, or doing it 3 times might - neither helped thought it was at least a week before I could do it, so that might have been too late).

Now I have to wait for Dr Who series finally for the latest season to re-air as well as losing some unknown number of episodes of the CW DC shows and some other stuff. That's annoying as all hell thank you very much.

PS: I know not you and where I can direct my complaints; I also know they can't help - best I could possibly get is a different dvr box, losing everything I have recorded because it's all on the local hard drive. No thanks.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The MacGruber movie was excellent. This is now tempting.
Can the shows be adult, as in language, violence, boobies?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sorry Zenn7. Sounds like a pretty crappy situation. :(
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:37 am Sorry Zenn7. Sounds like a pretty crappy situation. :(
It's a relatively trivial annoyance (especially with everything else going on in my world). I was just having a little fun whining at you cause you were pushing AT&T. ;)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A Most Beautiful Thing

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks to Peacock, I’m now hooked on AP Bio. The show is hilariously mean spirited...which is hard to do without just being purely mean spirited.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:26 pm Wilmore

Enlarge Image
Again? I think I was the only one who watched his first attempt. Is it the same format or something different?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dunno.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I watched the first eight minutes. I don't know that I've seen any of his previous work, and I didn't enjoy the eight minutes that I watched.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

His first show had a monologue followed by a panel discussion. It tried to be both entertaining and serious (he's a Jon Stewart product) and many of the topics were too heavy for comedy. I do like him though, I supposed I should find out if I get this for free.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This one was free to watch on the website after registration. I imagine the spam that follows will be fun.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is there any reason to install Peacock? I know it's free, but is it worth the price? None of these trailers convinced me. (I already get normal NBC via YouTube TV, and I'm not following anything from them there.)
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

Kraken wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 am Is there any reason to install Peacock? I know it's free, but is it worth the price? None of these trailers convinced me. (I already get normal NBC via YouTube TV, and I'm not following anything from them there.)
If you're a fan of Psych, the 2nd Psych movie is on it and it's a fun romp. Lassie's back in a big way and they dealt with the actor's stroke quite well.

I really liked The Capture. What if a murder were captured on video, but the murderer says it never happened (and appears to be convinced that it never happened)?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cancelled Sci Fi
The Peacock streaming service is not off to a good start as far as scripted originals go as it has already axed one of its inaugural shows after one season. Brave New World, based on the Aldous Huxley novel of the same name, has been cancelled by the service and will not return for a second season. The news comes as somewhat of a surprise as the streaming services have typically been more supportive of their originals, especially early on. But this NBC-owned streamer may be acting more like a broadcast network at this point, cancelling shows before they find an audience. Brave New World was an expensive production in its first season with a price tag of around $100 million, and it was met with mixed reviews, currently holding only a 45% Fresh Rating on Rotten Tomatoes (though it does have an 81% Audience Score).
mori

Post by mori »

I subscribed to Peacock Premium to get English Premier League football. Four years ago all the matches were free as long as subscribed to NBCSN, now you have to subscribe on top of that to watch your match. I sent an email to DishTV if they are making me pay ala carte to watch what I want over internet, what do I need you for. Peacock pisses me off especially because I cannot cast it to my TV. And I also want to stream a Youtube channel (AFTV or Match Day) while I stream Premier League. It would all be simple if NBC just kept it over the air like they did years ago. It could be worse where they are charging 15 pounds a match for PPV in England. I am glad they are saying BS and donating all their football money to charity.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

mori wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:16 pm I subscribed to Peacock Premium to get English Premier League football. Four years ago all the matches were free as long as subscribed to NBCSN, now you have to subscribe on top of that to watch your match. I sent an email to DishTV if they are making me pay ala carte to watch what I want over internet, what do I need you for. Peacock pisses me off especially because I cannot cast it to my TV. And I also want to stream a Youtube channel (AFTV or Match Day) while I stream Premier League. It would all be simple if NBC just kept it over the air like they did years ago. It could be worse where they are charging 15 pounds a match for PPV in England. I am glad they are saying BS and donating all their football money to charity.
I don't watch it, but if you can get DAZN there I know they stream every game. I subscribe to DAZN in Canada to get all the NFL games and redzone (vs the handful of shit that the local cable channels carry).
No.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Anyone looking to get a Premium account can use code TODAY50 to get half off. Premium unlocks all the content. Premium Plus is all content plus no commercials. The Plus costs an extra $50/year. The half off code is only for the cost of unlocking the content - you still have to pay $50/year to get no commercials.

Not sure how long the code is good for.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Defiant wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:36 pm Four months of peacock for $10:

https://www.peacocktv.com/sports/wwe
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

O.M.G.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Ugh. Pete Davidson overload. Tired of seeing him seemingly everywhere these days. Maybe I'm just unlucky, stumbling across his ads and shows.

It's sad that I get most of my Peacock usage from watching 35 year old pro wrestling shows. Fun nostalgia for me.

I think we've seen some of the recent movies on Peacock too. The Minions one and latest Jurassic Park were on recently, right? I might be getting my channels mixed up.