[series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: [series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Post by Holman »

McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:13 pm My only complaint about the show is that the Imperial troops are comically ineffective. Taking over Imperial facilities and ships should not be that easy.
Still, even original-trilogy stormtroopers were good at taking on regular troops. They took the Leia's ship easily enough, they breached the base on Hoth, and they seized Cloud City against Lando's security force.

The problem is they have just one hit-dice, so they can't handle our level 10 heroes.
Last edited by Holman on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:25 pm
McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:13 pm My only complaint about the show is that the Imperial troops are comically ineffective. Taking over Imperial facilities and ships should not be that easy.
Still, even original-trilogy stormtroopers were good at taking on regular troops. They took the Leia's ship easily enough, they breached the base on Hoth, and they seized Cloud City against Lando's security force.

The problem is the have just one hit-dice, so they can't handle our level 10 heroes.
Yeah, I think the issue is just that season 2 had a lot of back to back to back raids on imperial ships and vessels that were all comically easy. Not a huge issue, but just a little silly at times. I think they could've improved that a little by having the heroes go with at least some nameless support troops that could get shot up a bit.
Black Lives Matter.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:41 pm Allegedly all of the empire remnant technology was diverted to their A-1 super top priority project:

Creating a curved lightsaber.
Obviously better for slashing.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if it has a safety?

Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Imperial security and ship design is lousy and this thread delivers:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I was so amazed at how Bill Burr had no problem killing a ton of his old comrades that I had forgotten just how stupid that scene was.

It just needs to see a face? Wha...?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

They do say earlier you can’t be on any Imperial databases. Not any face will do. Just one not identified as an Enemy of the Empire. Helps when you lose so many stormtroopers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Look all I'm going to say is...
Spoiler:
Boba got fat in five years' time.

Like what, did the sarlaac throw him a never-ending buffet down there?
I'm probably not the first, but I just got done watching and haven't caught up on the thread.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's not much to catch up on. El Guapo believes there's a race of sentient creatures out there in the Star Wars universe who have no faces and enjoy trying to get personnel records out of high security terminals placed in Imperial cafeterias, while Malchior is attempting to sell Moff Gideon a SOC II, Type II audit.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:25 pmwhile Malchior is attempting to sell Moff Gideon a SOC II, Type II audit.
Woah woah here. We need to get them on the hook first. I'd start small and just have them authenticate the face scans and add a breath print or something for the faceless guys. They are very far from passing even a crayon based audit. I don't want to scare them off.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And don't forget:

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:25 pm There's not much to catch up on. El Guapo believes there's a race of sentient creatures out there in the Star Wars universe who have no faces and enjoy trying to get personnel records out of high security terminals placed in Imperial cafeterias, while Malchior is attempting to sell Moff Gideon a SOC II, Type II audit.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

First thing I want to see in season 3 of The Mandalorian is Mando dealing with the aftermaths of a particularly nasty phishing scam. Obviously cyber security is lax and this show needs to work with that. Have a teen Wookie using his identity to buy stuff off the Imperial internet or something.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The term you're looking for is Slicer.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In Star Wars, all a Slicer apparently needs is a face.
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Reactions to the episode: so many of these were me while watching.
Spoiler:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Going back a couple episodes, I really though we might be headed for a "hey, stormtrooper lives might be valuable after all" moment, mimicking the revelations of The Force Awakens. But... nope. Lol. Blow 'em all to hell.

And that's fine, I get that the show/universe needs its Nazis/irredeemable fodder. But I'm consistently distressed by how high the body count is in this series. There also seem to be surprisingly few causalities on the protagonists' side. I thought for sure someone notable would bite it in the season finale.

Also makes me think, going back to that previous episode... so, the pirates/"terrorists"/whoever they took out during the run to the Imperial base... wasn't that an "enemy of my enemy" situation? I get they didn't have any choice. But they pretty much did the same thing in the end. The Mandalorian is an antihero, it's not inconsistent with the character or story or anything. (And I wouldn't have it any other way.) But geez... one little Kermit-looking MFer is worth how many lives?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

This is the way.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:06 pm Going back a couple episodes, I really though we might be headed for a "hey, stormtrooper lives might be valuable after all" moment, mimicking the revelations of The Force Awakens. But... nope. Lol. Blow 'em all to hell.

And that's fine, I get that the show/universe needs its Nazis/irredeemable fodder. But I'm consistently distressed by how high the body count is in this series. There also seem to be surprisingly few causalities on the protagonists' side. I thought for sure someone notable would bite it in the season finale.

Also makes me think, going back to that previous episode... so, the pirates/"terrorists"/whoever they took out during the run to the Imperial base... wasn't that an "enemy of my enemy" situation? I get they didn't have any choice. But they pretty much did the same thing in the end. The Mandalorian is an antihero, it's not inconsistent with the character or story or anything. (And I wouldn't have it any other way.) But geez... one little Kermit-looking MFer is worth how many lives?
Goddammit if you don't keep it down we're going to get battle droids again!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sudy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:06 pm

Have you watched John Wick? Little Grogu is worth all the lives!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:00 pm Goddammit if you don't keep it down we're going to get battle droids again!
Hey, as long as they don't replace their rifles with walkie-talkies.

But I guess that's a good point... I can see George stroking his beard as he mused, "How can I kill a millon of something without it seeming like genocide? I really want to kill a million of something."

Of course... that didn't stop the horrific massacres of the sand people and baby jedi in those "kids' movies", as some of the apologists like to declare them.

Holman

Post by Holman »

I feel like this raises more questions than it answers.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Half way through Season 2 and I'm liking it more than Season 1.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Werner Herzog is strange, eccentric, bizarre and absolutely wonderful for all those reasons.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I wish he'd been in more episodes.

xwraith

Post by xwraith »

We need a small series like the IT crowd from the Imperial perspective....

Could explain much
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Holman

Post by Holman »

xwraith wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:01 pm We need a small series like the IT crowd from the Imperial perspective....

Could explain much
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

The human in Dark Trooper armor looks way more badass than the droid model does.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Very late to the party because we started Season 1 with the kids right after Christmas, and have been working through both seasons. Wrapped it up today.

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, but have to echo the sheer OH. MY. GOD. of it all. That may be my favorite season finale in the history of television. My jaw was absolutely on the floor through the entire final sequence.

Absolutely brilliant in every way. :clap:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I only watched it for the first time last month. It felt like a love-letter to the generation of people that were kids during the Empire Strikes Back awesomeness. I'm not really a Star Wars maniac (I still haven't seen last two movies), but this was really, really good.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This has potential to swerve into R&P, but I'm placing it here because she's an actress on the show. Sorry, was an actress on the show.
Gina Carano will not be appearing in any future “Star Wars” projects.

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” a Lucasfilm representative said in a Wednesday statement. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

That's unfortunate.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While I disagree with her, this is not the way to handle such things. In my opinion, of course.

...oh crap...I’m getting fired now, aren’t I?
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm inclined to agree. I don't feel that bad for her because she had plenty of warning and, to borrow a term, "persisted". But that said, she seems like a standard obnoxious right-wing type person and not anything that people shouldn't be able to ignore / tune out.

It's also interesting because what seems to have definitively done her in is her post comparing how Republicans are treated in this country to how Jews were treated in Nazi Germany. Which, sure, absolutely ridiculous. But at the same time I don't get super offended about hyperbolic comparisons to Nazi Germany as long as it's clear in the metaphor that Nazi Germany is bad.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't realize her talent agent also dropped her.

This is a complicated issue, but at the end of the day I don't think I can complain about someone repeatedly saying abhorrent things in or on a public venue and then facing consequences for it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I say good riddance. I knew her views, and I cringed every time I had to watch her on screen.

I'm not a big proponent of cancel culture as people can make mistakes and shouldn't get a life sentence for a tweet here and there. But if you know better and persist, I have no problem with you lying down in the bed you made.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:56 am I'm not a big proponent of cancel culture as people can make mistakes and shouldn't get a life sentence for a tweet here and there. But if you know better and persist, I have no problem with you lying down in the bed you made.
Agreed. Also, I'm far more forgiving for off-the-cuff statements made in live interview situations. But she took time to compose the messages on social media and could have backed down any time. I don't understand why so many actors, etc. don't learn the message to "shut up". If those are her views, then those are her views. But were they worth potentially losing her career and all future prospects? I'd like to think I'd know enough to hold the views privately and keep my mouth shut.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:56 am I say good riddance. I knew her views, and I cringed every time I had to watch her on screen.

I'm not a big proponent of cancel culture as people can make mistakes and shouldn't get a life sentence for a tweet here and there. But if you know better and persist, I have no problem with you lying down in the bed you made.
I find it fascinating that someone is willing to throw away a very lucrative and long-term gig in one of the most well-established IP's in entertainment history, simply so they can make stupid comments on Twitter.

That level of career suicide (especially for someone like Carano who has, let's be kind and say "questionable" acting skills) is certainly...something.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The issue (for Disney) is that by starring in a hit show for DisneyPlus, she's at least in some small part representing their brand. You can't blame them for not wanting an apparently anti-Semitic, transphobic Covid-denier as a face of their company. I'm not sure what real options they had other than termination. I'm assuming at some point she was asked to stop before they axed her, as her tweets have been going on awhile.