[series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Re: [series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Post by malchior »

disarm wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:53 pm I almost wish that were the end of the show because it would be a damn near perfect ending.
I totally agree.

Spoiler:
- Does Din Djarin end up an adversary of Bo Katan, with both fighting to rebuild Mandalor for different reasons?
I think so - remember she mentioned that he belonged to a 'cult' but he just broke the tenets of it. We will have to see what the consequence is but I expect some battle between the two brew.
Lassr wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:45 pm
infinitelurker wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:13 pm Damn. So good.

Imagine the prequels and sequels we could have had with this team at the helm. Sigh.
Sigh, I know...
It's mostly Favreau. The episodes he didn't personally write are notably weaker and have sledgehammered in dumb plot points -- e.g.
Spoiler:
the machine that pointlessly needs to read a person's face...not for authentication...but just because. And that terminal with highly classified information is in the cafeteria right by the entrance. :lol:
Different musing - this struck me:
Spoiler:
Did anyone else feel it was odd that Kara Doone seemingly doesn't recognize a hero of the Rebellion who blew up the Death Star and avenged her home world. As someone mentioned logic in Star Wars is not a strong point here.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

malchior wrote:
disarm wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:53 pm I almost wish that were the end of the show because it would be a damn near perfect ending.
I totally agree.

Spoiler:
- Does Din Djarin end up an adversary of Bo Katan, with both fighting to rebuild Mandalor for different reasons?
I think so - remember she mentioned that he belonged to a 'cult' but he just broke the tenets of it. We will have to see what the consequence is but I expect some battle between the two brew.
Lassr wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:45 pm

Imagine the prequels and sequels we could have had with this team at the helm. Sigh.
Sigh, I know...
It's mostly Favreau. The episodes he didn't personally write are notably weaker and have sledgehammered in dumb plot points -- e.g.
Spoiler:
the machine that pointlessly needs to read a person's face...not for authentication...but just because. And that terminal with highly classified information is in the cafeteria right by the entrance. Image
Different musing - this struck me:
Spoiler:
Did anyone else feel it was odd that Kara Doone seemingly doesn't recognize a hero of the Rebellion who blew up the Death Star and avenged her home world. As someone mentioned logic in Star Wars is not a strong point here.
I kinda feel the opposite. The dialogue read like anime and was 90% narrative exposition. Mando is so much better when it's a western instead of a cartoon. I wish the characters would stop talking and let the designers have a field day. Still enjoyed it though.

Not often do i wish my tv show to have more Nick Nolte.
.... I have spoken.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Spoiler:
Also, really nice catch Naednek on that Imperial March theme during the dark trooper power up! I had to go back and play it again, I missed it the first time through
I had to ask my 11 year old son if he noticed. He said he hadn't. I rewinded it and he was amazed. I mean it was a nice subtle touch.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

So regarding the you know who...
Spoiler:
apparently that was actually Mark Hamill. I thought it was a look a like, a well done one.
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The voice, yes. The actor, no.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Zaxxon wrote:The voice, yes. The actor, no.
Partly true... head was used

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Did the shuttle stop, or just keep going in a straight line? In space that will look pretty similar and Slave 1 could still fly around it as shown.

Also, I heard that Pedro Pascal was unhappy with his involvement in the show and was considering bailing unless he got more face time. They caved and that's why he is breaking this no helmet rule so often.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Oh, like Pedro was such an A-lister before this. I'm gonna miss Mando's bucket of bolts.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That's kind of the point. He is very close to becoming A list and being on a wildly popular show where your character could be played by someone else is a big deal.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Pedro and his stuntman have denied the story. (fwiw)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Holman

Post by Holman »

naednek wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:50 pm
That's not what I read (spoilers) here.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:46 am
naednek wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:50 pm
That's not what I read (spoilers) here.
Funny you post that source because my comment was based off from the same site, different article.
Spoiler:
Using CGI to get Mark Hamill’s young face on Lloyd-Jones’ body is the kind of thing “Star Wars” has done several times over the years. In “Rogue One,” we got CGI versions of Grand Moff Tarkin, who had a significant role, and Leia, who was just a cameo at the very end. And in “The Rise of Skywalker,” we got another glimpse at CGI Leia and CGI Luke in a flashback to when Luke trained her as a Jedi.
https://www.thewrap.com/mark-hamill-man ... on-finale/
Last edited by naednek on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCC

Post by JCC »

You should probably spoiler protect that article snippet.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoilers on that character appearance.
Spoiler:
Why dont they use Sebastian Stan?
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

JCC wrote:You should probably spoiler protect that article snippet.
My apologies. I thought I did. Posting on my phone messes me up.

My apologies if I ruined it for anyone.

JCC

Post by JCC »

To be fair, news headlines everywhere on the web are spoiling it and were doing so as soon as Sunday. I can't believe they can't curtail spoilerish headlines for more than a day or two.
Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

On Friday morning, "Ben Solo" was trending on Twitter. I got mad when I saw it, and I spent the whole episode wondering when he would appear. (Which he didn't, so no spoiler here.)
Spoiler:
Presumably "Ben Solo" was trending on speculation that if Luke took Grogu, The Child would probably be killed later by Ben/Kylo.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Finished season 2 the other day. Very good and I really enjoyed it, though it still has pretty heavy plot armor that is a little annoying at times (like I get that they're ultimate badasses, but the mandalorian crew is able to take out two imperial ships without so much as a single significant injury?).

One thing that I really liked about this season is how they made the Empire simultaneously a significant threat but also severely diminished and kind of pathetic at the same time. Like, Moff Gideon is a badass and a really smart and capable commander, and so he's also very dangerous, but at the same time he's relegated to commanding an understaffed light cruiser as his flagship, instead of a Star Destroyer or the like.
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My only complaint about the show is that the Imperial troops are comically ineffective. Taking over Imperial facilities and ships should not be that easy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, that kind of happens in every Star Wars movie/tv show/performance art installation.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:13 pm My only complaint about the show is that the Imperial troops are comically ineffective. Taking over Imperial facilities and ships should not be that easy.
Which begs the question:
Spoiler:
If a lightsaber could beat the superdroids, why didn't Mando use his grey saber?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:04 pm
The post-credit scene ended with a new title card. Does that point to a whole new series or (as I assume) the name of the next chapter in The Mandalorian?

If the latter, it's not hard to see how it could expand into new story opportunities while still leaving room to settle the Bo-Katan plot.
Looks like we have a definitive answer:
Spoiler:
We now have our answer to the “Is the Book of Boba Fett The Mandalorian Season 3” question, and it is a decisive no. Disney revealed today that The Book of Boba Fett is a new original series that will premiere on Disney+ in December 2021. Disney also revealed that it will star Temeura Morrison as Boba Fett and Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand, and the show will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, and Robert Rodriguez. As for when it’s set, The Book of Boba Fett will take place within the timeline of The Mandalorian, so it will very much follow the events of Season 2 and that credits scene and will likely find Boba Fett inhabiting and/or taking over the criminal underworld.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

McNutt wrote:My only complaint about the show is that the Imperial troops are comically ineffective. Taking over Imperial facilities and ships should not be that easy.
Also for a fascist organization, I'm always surprised when Stormtroopers keep telling blaster toting intruders to halt and drop their weapons.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Exactly. The intruder will have already shot 324 Stormtroopers, then are told to halt by the next set.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm still laughing over Malchior pointing out that they stuck the terminal with access to sensitive data in a cafeteria in the episode before last. Perfection would have been if it were sitting next to a Galaga machine.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:39 pm I'm still laughing over Malchior pointing out that they stuck the terminal with access to sensitive data in a cafeteria in the episode before last. Perfection would have been if it were sitting next to a Galaga machine.
I can only conclude that the Imperial Remnant had a problem earlier when sensitive information was stolen by an alien without a face. "Dammit, I want face-confirmer machines in all of our bases NOW!"
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:44 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:39 pm I'm still laughing over Malchior pointing out that they stuck the terminal with access to sensitive data in a cafeteria in the episode before last. Perfection would have been if it were sitting next to a Galaga machine.
I can only conclude that the Imperial Remnant had a problem earlier when sensitive information was stolen by an alien without a face. "Dammit, I want face-confirmer machines in all of our bases NOW!"
But as Malchior also pointed out, it doesn't actually have to be someone in their records. As long as you HAVE a face, you can access that data. I believe the aforementioned Galaga machine had better security. You had to have a quarter. :lol:
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I'm still laughing over Malchior pointing out that they stuck the terminal with access to sensitive data in a cafeteria in the episode before last. Perfection would have been if it were sitting next to a Galaga machine.
Hey, the New Order is all about maintaining that work-life balance! No need to skip a meal when you need to submit a termination order!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if I could get a job revising their computer security? First thing I'd do is make record checks 2 quarters and termination orders 75 cents.

"Hey Bob, I'm trying to get some guy named Skywalker killed...you got three quarters on you?"

"Shit, sorry Ted. I had someone named Solo killed just a few minutes ago, so I'm out of quarters."
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I wonder if I could get a job revising their computer security? First thing I'd do is make record checks 2 quarters and termination orders 75 cents.

"Hey Bob, I'm trying to get some guy named Skywalker killed...you got three quarters on you?"
Or use cutting edge Chuck E Cheese tech and have a token based system.
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:55 pm
hepcat wrote:I wonder if I could get a job revising their computer security? First thing I'd do is make record checks 2 quarters and termination orders 75 cents.

You know how much that would cost??? FRIGGIN' EMPIRE AIN'T MADE OF MONEY, PAL!
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:55 pm

You know how much that would cost??? FRIGGIN' EMPIRE AIN'T MADE OF MONEY, PAL!
Evidently so since they still can't afford railings...
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...don't get me started on that one.

Do you REALLY need a lone bridge across a 200 foot chasm anyways? I mean, just use the damn elevator on either side at ground level if you need to get across. The Empire's chief architect is obviously Frank Lloyd WRONG.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:45 pm
But as Malchior also pointed out, it doesn't actually have to be someone in their records. As long as you HAVE a face, you can access that data. I believe the aforementioned Galaga machine had better security. You had to have a quarter. :lol:
Thinking about this the Empire does seem to have a pretty significant Cybersecurity and safety regulation problem. Maybe it is intentional like the weakness in the 1st Death Star? If you think about how Episode IV went, R2 plugged into a random terminal and could do far too much. A quick evaluation:
  • Bad - anyone could:
    • Look up prisoner records -- a blatant violation of the Empire Data Protection Regulation (EDPR)
    • Control garbage compactors (a reckless lack of OT control hardening)
    • Look at and control elevators
  • Good
    • The tractor beam control was air gapped and needed to be physically controlled -- however there was a marked absence of protective safety railings there
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:...don't get me started on that one.

Do you REALLY need a lone bridge across a 200 foot chasm anyways? I mean, just use the damn elevator on either side at ground level if you need to get across. The Empire's chief architect is obviously Frank Lloyd WRONG.
Like Jyn Erso's father, Galen, the designer of Imperial infrastructure inserted a subtle flaw in the construction plans of Imperial facilities and spacecraft.

Black lives matter!

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:45 pm
Right, but like I said, maybe the problem was that before the data was stolen by an alien without a face. Hence, Empire mid-level bureaucracy introduced machines that would confirm that you have a face before releasing the data. But since the prior problem did not center on whether the face presented was the right one, that particular technology adjustment got stuck in committee.

You're also ignoring the side issue of the Empire apparently not changing their access codes for years, since Bill Burr apparently left the Empire years ago, and yet his credentials or whatever were apparently still good enough to access imperial databases.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The character arc on Mayfeld was all over the place, by the way. When we first meet him, he has no issues with killing innocent people whatsoever. Then we meet up with him again and suddenly he's haunted by the death of his fellow Empire soldiers in a battle...so much so that he kills a shit ton of his fellow Empire soldiers.

Anyway...

Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Allegedly all of the empire remnant technology was diverted to their A-1 super top priority project:

Creating a curved lightsaber.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:34 pm The character arc on Mayfeld was all over the place, by the way. When we first meet him, he has no issues with killing innocent people whatsoever. Then we meet up with him again and suddenly he's haunted by the death of his fellow Empire soldiers in a battle...so much so that he kills a shit ton of his fellow Empire soldiers.
Yeah, that stuff could've used more development time. But at the same time, it didn't seem that incongruous that he would be particularly bothered and have a raw emotional nerve around the slaughter of friends and fellow soldiers that he served with, that would be triggered by the commander directly responsible laughing about how he has no regrets about that and how he expects to do the same thing again only worse. And its starts by him shooting said commander; the rest of the violence is the immediate aftermath which he might not have 100% logically thought through in the moment.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »