Kerbal Space Program 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Kerbal Space Program 2

Post by jztemple2 »

Personally I don't have a problem with the pricing. I got in on the first game back in alpha and while I can't remember the pricing it certainly wasn't that high :wink:. But as you say, there is a lot of content in this Early Access.

This was also released from the devs: Early Access - Giving Feedback FAQ
Your feedback will be crucial in helping to make KSP 2 the best it can be, and we want to hear about everything that is important to you. Below you can find common questions and answers related to how you can give feedback on your KSP 2 experience.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Of course, until they release Mechjeb for KSP2 I'll be a disaster at the game :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:20 pm Of course, until they release Mechjeb for KSP2 I'll be a disaster at the game :roll:
I've been wondering about that. The KSP developers felt that there should not be an autopilot with the game, but that was a bizarre decision, IMHO. I, like most KSP veterans, could do everything manually but some things, like rendezvous in orbit and docking, I usually left to Mechjeb because it was difficult and tedious. I would be shocked, SHOCKED, if they don't include an autopilot in this version, especially with all the focus on making the game more accessible to new players. But, then again, I figured they would go ahead and finish the original solar system and add a few more planets in KSP 2, but they haven't so who knows what things they will leave alone and what things they'll change. :think:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From KSP2 Discord today:

Minimum is 1080p at Low Settings
Recommended is 1440p at High Settings

These systems requirements are to ensure a high-quality experience while playing KSP2 in a variety of in-game scenarios.

KSP 2 will work across a wide variety of hardware beyond what is listed in our recommended specs, with performance scaling based on the size and complexity of the crafts you build.

Throughout the Early Access period, our development team will continue to prioritize performance optimization to ensure an optimal gameplay experience for as many @Kerbonauts as possible.

We hear you and we take your feedback very seriously. You are a core part of the development process, so please continue to share your expectations for what you want your KSP2 experience to be.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New info today. First a post on the KSP2 Steam newsfeed, The KSP2 Journey Begins. Here's part of that post:
On day 1 of Early Access, players will be able to create and fly vehicles in Sandbox Mode and visit any location in the Kerbolar System. They'll also have access to our first four interactive tutorials, accessible via the all-new Training Center. These teach basic rocketry concepts to give new players a head-start on their space programs. You'll encounter new parts, including new procedural wings, new wheels, new command pods, new cargo parts, and new engines (and the first of the new fuels - liquid hydrogen). To pave the way for the upcoming interstellar-class parts, we've also added a new, larger core size. As we progress through Early Access, we'll continue to expand on all of these features.
However, the really good stuff is in a post on their forum, Kerbal Space Program 2 - Pre-Release Notes. There is a lot of info in this post about what will be in the Early Access release and what will not be part of that release. There are quite a number of things new from KSP so it is worth a read.

And to finish, a look at the new, unified VAB; no longer will there be separate buildings for rockets and planes.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The embargo on preview videos from reviewers must be lifted, here's the first one I found.
quick look at all parts and their descriptions in Kerbal Space Program 2
I hope you casn stoip and read everything you search for. :)

Thanks again to the KSP2 Team for the invite. I had a fantastic time :D
#travelprovidedbyPrivateDivision
Last edited by jztemple2 on Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And this too

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And Scott Manley also gives us a look, released earlier today:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm re-posting the Scott Manley video but jumping the time directly to where Scott talks about what isn't in KSP2 right now compared to KSP. Also he briefly discusses prices and then talks about computer requirements. If you are sort of on the fence about getting KSP2, Scott provides some real good information. One interesting point he makes is about specs. According to Scott, Steam data shows that only one-third of Steam users have computers that meet the minimum specs, and only three percent have rigs that meet the recommended specs. As I said, interesting.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Here's one from the ESA event that I particularly liked, from the Everyday Astronaut:

He goes over a lot of details about the game and what to expect on day one. But the posters who commented on the video were largely of "The Sky is Falling!" type, which is highly annoying considering that this is an early access game that hasn't even been released yet! :roll:

EDIT: Every time I play this video it starts about 2/3's of the way through. Hopefully that's just on my system or maybe I posted it incorrectly. At any rate, it wasn't intentional and I recommend watching the whole video.

EDIT: OK, I changed the time stamp to one second, so I think it works now.
Last edited by Apollo on Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:43 pm EDIT: Every time I play this video it starts about 2/3's of the way through. Hopefully that's just on my system or maybe I posted it incorrectly. At any rate, it wasn't intentional and I recommend watching the whole video.
It's the link, it includes the suffix "&t=1681s" which jumps the time to 1,681 seconds into the video. To manually fix it, just delete that part from the link.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:25 pm
Apollo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:43 pm EDIT: Every time I play this video it starts about 2/3's of the way through. Hopefully that's just on my system or maybe I posted it incorrectly. At any rate, it wasn't intentional and I recommend watching the whole video.
It's the link, it includes the suffix "&t=1681s" which jumps the time to 1,681 seconds into the video. To manually fix it, just delete that part from the link.
Thanks for the help, but it's still doing it even after deleting the time suffix. What am I doing wrong now? :doh:

EDIT: Changed the time stamp to 1 second and that seemed to finally fix the problem. Besides, I watched the first second and it was kinda boring, so you're not missing much. :P
Last edited by Apollo on Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:31 pm Thanks for the help, but it's still doing it even after deleting the time suffix. What am I doing wrong now? :doh:

On your computer your browser will keep the video at the time location in YouTube where you were just viewing it. I just looked at the video in the window of your post and it started at the beginning. So you're good.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:41 pm
Apollo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:31 pm Thanks for the help, but it's still doing it even after deleting the time suffix. What am I doing wrong now? :doh:

On your computer your browser will keep the video at the time location in YouTube where you were just viewing it. I just looked at the video in the window of your post and it started at the beginning. So you're good.
Thanks for the help!

It's hard for me to believe that on a forum dedicated to PC gaming that has so many posters who are interested in space travel and exploration, that we're the only two who seem to be excited about this release. :think:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:49 pm It's hard for me to believe that on a forum dedicated to PC gaming that has so many posters who are interested in space travel and exploration, that we're the only two who seem to be excited about this release. :think:
Yup, I've wondered that too. Oh well, we won't let that stop us :wink:. I've had entire threads where I'm the only poster, so I'm happy for the company.

I've been clearing the decks (metaphorically) with my wife so she knows that come Friday I'll be in my office playing as soon as I can.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:58 pm
Apollo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:49 pm It's hard for me to believe that on a forum dedicated to PC gaming that has so many posters who are interested in space travel and exploration, that we're the only two who seem to be excited about this release. :think:
Yup, I've wondered that too. Oh well, we won't let that stop us :wink:. I've had entire threads where I'm the only poster, so I'm happy for the company.

I've been clearing the decks (metaphorically) with my wife so she knows that come Friday I'll be in my office playing as soon as I can.
I have to work all weekend, so I'll only get an hour or two at night to play. And then, on my first off day, I have a doctor's appointment first thing in the morning. But dammit, come lunchtime on monday I'll be up to my elbows in KSP2. Can't wait! :dance:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I want to be excited about the release, but the stories of high system reqs and poor performance even with a beefy system have me worried. I’ve almost entirely shifted to console gaming over PC gaming so a computer upgrade just for Kerbal isn’t in my future. I’m watching from the sidelines, at least, but I suspect I wont get to join the party until a console port eventually comes along.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:13 pm I want to be excited about the release, but the stories of high system reqs and poor performance even with a beefy system have me worried. I’ve almost entirely shifted to console gaming over PC gaming so a computer upgrade just for Kerbal isn’t in my future. I’m watching from the sidelines, at least, but I suspect I wont get to join the party until a console port eventually comes along.
I believe that their thinking is that this is going to be a big release that they will keep updating and producing DLC for for many years, so it makes sense to push the limits of what PC's can do today. And they have noted that there will be a lot of optimization during the Early Access period. However, I can definitely understand why some would be discouraged by the high system requirements, especially if you are not a dedicated PC gamer with a new system. But I'm sure a console release will come along eventually, and until then there's always KSP1,,, :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

One of the things I didn't hear about with these previews was any attempt to tweak the graphics settings, but then I heard on one of them that the invitees were told to not make any adjustments to the settings. So I'll try to include some mention of what is available in that respect sometime Friday.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I suspect there are many of us excited for it, but nothing being offered on day one is what I am excited for. I need, science and tech tree and career mode, and interstellar travel and THEN I'll play it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:19 pm I suspect there are many of us excited for it, but nothing being offered on day one is what I am excited for. I need, science and tech tree and career mode, and interstellar travel and THEN I'll play it.
Agreed. When they first announced the game would be released as an Early Access game without Science collection (I always play Science Mode) I figured I would hold off a few months. But as the game got closer, I changed my mind. My goal is to pick up the basics with the first release, play a "campaign" and explore the Mun and Duna when science gathering is introduced, and then go all out when colonies and interstellar arrive. I'm hoping they have everything released in the next couple of years at most.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:28 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:19 pm I suspect there are many of us excited for it, but nothing being offered on day one is what I am excited for. I need, science and tech tree and career mode, and interstellar travel and THEN I'll play it.
Agreed. When they first announced the game would be released as an Early Access game without Science collection (I always play Science Mode) I figured I would hold off a few months. But as the game got closer, I changed my mind. My goal is to pick up the basics with the first release, play a "campaign" and explore the Mun and Duna when science gathering is introduced, and then go all out when colonies and interstellar arrive. I'm hoping they have everything released in the next couple of years at most.
I'm in the other boat, I never really cared for the science or the career paths or the tech tree, I just want to build rockets. And I got in very early in KSP and never regretted it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hah, just looked this up over on the original KSP forum thread. Almost ten years to the week.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:13 pm Damn forum effect :D . Just ordered myself a copy.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:49 pm Hah, just looked this up over on the original KSP forum thread. Almost ten years to the week.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:13 pm Damn forum effect :D . Just ordered myself a copy.
Cool idea! I went back and found my first post on the game from March 11th, a few weeks after yours:
Picked this up the other day. Decided to set goals for my space program similar to those of NASA in the 60's:

1. Rocket into space
2. Satellite in orbit around Kerbin
3. Manned orbit of Kerbin
4. Satellite orbit of the Mun
5. Land probe on Mun
6. Manned orbit of Mun
7. Manned landing on Mun

etc, etc, etc.

What can I say other than I am having a blast!
Which is funny because that's still the way I play the game, setting up an imaginary historical progression for my space program. When they added science mode later on, it became a lot more fun for me to play that way. I never could get into the career mode because of all the arbitrary tasks I was being asked to complete in order to test components, etc. I think the career game mode needs to be completely overhauled from scratch.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:24 pm I never could get into the career mode because of all the arbitrary tasks I was being asked to complete in order to test components, etc. I think the career game mode needs to be completely overhauled from scratch.
That's the way I felt too. The career mission path had no serious branching so I could just do my own thing. It would be something good for Private Division to incorporate for KSP2. Also would be neat if instead of generating tech points I could fly experimental parts to gain experience on them, eventually unlocking them for general use. But heck, by the time they implemented that I'll be completely burned out on the game :wink:.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:42 pm I'm in the other boat, I never really cared for the science or the career paths or the tech tree, I just want to build rockets. And I got in very early in KSP and never regretted it.
I didn't think I felt this way, but I realize now that the moment they added career and science mode was the moment I basically stopped playing actively.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's another video, but this time it's just some guy doing a simple orbital and return mission. No narration but he takes his time so you can see a lot of what he's doing.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:21 am Here's another video, but this time it's just some guy doing a simple orbital and return mission. No narration but he takes his time so you can see a lot of what he's doing.

By the way, I asked about the specs of the rig he was using:
They were playing on PC's provided at the ESA preview event. High-End Systems: AMD 7900X Nvidia 4080 32GB RAM. They Played in 2560x1440 at highest settings
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From the devs, addressing some concerns about KSP2 Performance
Hey Kerbonauts, KSP Community Lead Michael Loreno here. I’ve connected with multiple teams within Intercept after ingesting feedback from the community and I’d like to address some of the concerns that are circulating regarding KSP 2 performance and min spec.

First and foremost, we need to apologize for how the initial rollout of the hardware specs communication went. It was confusing and distressful for many of you, and we’re here to provide clarity.

TLDR:

The game is certainly playable on machines below our min spec, but because no two people play the game exactly the same way (and because a physics sandbox game of this kind creates literally limitless potential for players to build anything and go anywhere), it’s very challenging to predict the experience that any particular player will have on day 1. We’ve chosen to be conservative for the time being, in order to manage player expectations. We will update these spec recommendations as the game evolves.

Below is an updated graphic for recommended hardware specs:

There's more to the article and it's worth a read if you are concerned.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Only ten hours to go...

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

$42.49 on greenman. Two copies purchased, mine to be archived until it's much closer to release, my son's to be played as soon as he gets home from school.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Played around a bit this morning and had a blast. Love the improved graphics, though I did find a bug where a big white arrow was pointing at my ship during it's entire mission. It went away on reload and I haven't had any other problems.

Time for a Mun mission! :horse:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Downloaded right at 9am but I had to go for my morning walk :roll: so I'll get a few minutes with it now before lunch.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And my first video, a look at the settings in the game. I left most of them as it, except for turning up the video settings for my rig.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A look at KSP2 from creating my first campaign, through the first introduction cutscene, finally to building my first rocket which failed.

A note, apparently F12 in the game brings up an aeroGUI dialog, which messed up my Steam screen captures. I've changed the Steam screenshot key to F11, we'll see how that goes.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just about rage quit after 45 minutes when after building a rocket and launching it, every time I fired the decoupler to separate the fuel tank from the command pod the camera would lose focus entirely on the vehicle. After a lot of button pushing and cursing, I figured out that I had mounted the decoupler to the command pod which loused everything up. When I re-inverted the coupler so it stayed with the fuel tank the camera acted normally :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From the devs, Launch Day Notes. This address known issues with recommended workarounds and known issues being actively worked on, so give it a read if you wish.

By the way, the interactive tutorials are pretty good.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:01 pm From the devs, Launch Day Notes. This address known issues with recommended workarounds and known issues being actively worked on, so give it a read if you wish.

They'll be even better in two years!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:26 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:01 pm From the devs, Launch Day Notes. This address known issues with recommended workarounds and known issues being actively worked on, so give it a read if you wish.

They'll be even better in two years!
Interactive tutorials? Who needs interactive tutorials? We don't need no stinking interactive tutorials :D

The last set of tutorials completed the training in maneuvers for going to the Mun. As I said, very well done, except the voice sounds like a Disney princess... :roll:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

If anyone tries this on a 980 Ti graphic card I'd love to know if it's playable for you!