Kerbal Space Program 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Kerbal Space Program 2

Post by jztemple2 »

Take a basic chassis, add a rocket engine and monopropellant tanks and you've got something you can run around in, at least till the fuel runs out.

Or if you prefer something a bit less dangerous:
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Played nine hours today. Successfully landed on Mun, but it was a one-way trip :roll:
Enlarge Image

I spent about three hours trying to build a vehicle to go rescue that kerbonaut. Many, many launch failures which seemed to be at least partially due to running at high graphics settings. I set the settings to low and finally got off a successful launch, but it eventually went out of control. Back to the drawing board tomorrow.
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

After thinking about it overnight, after nine hours of gameplay, I'll have to post my impression that unless you really, really have a hankering for more KSP gameplay beyond what is currently in the original game, I would recommend that folks hold off from getting KSP2, especially at the price they are asking. While there are some nice new touches here and there, the game is also buggy. And there are performance issues which really need to be optimized. I've got an i9-10850K, 3080 and 32GB RAM and I'm going down into single digit fps at times. But more than anything, there are a lot of features that just aren't there yet, like careers, tech trees and the comm nets. Also there are just a boatload of things that should be added just to make the game more playable, like being able to do things while paused, being able to set the time mode to one-quarter or one-half speed, etc.

If they were offering the game at half the current price I'd say it was worth dealing with the issues, but at the current price I'm just more than a little concerned that, well, it might be more of a money grab. But decide for yourselves.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Trying to build a rocket big enough to go to Mun to rescue a stranded kerbonaut is tricky.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I made a simple rover, so I needed to experiment to get it off the platform I launched it on. Lots of experiments.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My first Mun landing, 45 minutes showing all the details.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:02 pm ... Also there are just a boatload of things that should be added just to make the game more playable, like being able to do things while paused...

If they were offering the game at half the current price I'd say it was worth dealing with the issues, but at the current price I'm just more than a little concerned that, well, it might be more of a money grab. But decide for yourselves.
I might be missing your point, but you can do things while paused in KSP 2. Otherwise, I agree with you. On the one hand, I'm surprised that they released the game with some basic features, like re-entry heat and heating effects as well as autostruts left out, at least for now. At half-price, it makes a lot more sense considering the basic state of the game. On the other hand, I am excited because I can already see that this is going to be a big improvement on the original KSP. They are laying a very solid foundation for the game, and I can't wait to see what it will be like with science, colonies and interstellar travel included. However, only Hardcore KSP fans should be picking it up right now, IMHO.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a test of my upgraded rover delivery system. The first one was just drop the rover and hope. This upper stage has legs that will hold the stage high enough so the rover can drive out from beneath it.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:28 am I might be missing your point, but you can do things while paused in KSP 2.
You're right, I should have made it clear that there are many things you can due while paused. There are some however that can't be done on pause. I've been trying to set maneuver nodes while paused but the game won't let me. There are other things you can while paused as you say, but that's a big one for me. I can deal with it, but it's a nuisance.

I also have found the new features worth putting up with the bugs and missing features. The maneuver node and SOI graphics really have helped me. I landed on Mun with a Kerbal and now with a rover (video is uploading). I also decided to go for broke and use a slightly upgraded delivery system to land a rover on Minmus. It was a bit ugly but I did get the rover right side up and running. That video is uploading as well.

And I like the new concept of the workspace where I can have several vehicles, or parts of vehicles, being worked on at once. It has allowed me to pop off part of a vehicle to take it to the pad or the runway to test.

I still suck terribly at rendezvous in orbit. But then I sucked in KSP1 as well. My biggest issue was putting up a second vehicle in an orbit with the proper inclination. Thankfully Mechjeb had a mode for that and also I had another mod that made the last few hundred meters a lot easier by presenting me a target display. Hopefully some mods will show up soon.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My first rover on another celestial body, this time Mun. I had a heck of a time trying to get some configuration that would let me carry and release a rover and finally came up with this one. Most of the flight went well, but I got all messed up just above Mun's surface and finally just released the rover which happily due to the low gravity didn't break and also landed right side up.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My first landing and rover on Minmus.

This is a longer video because I had some trouble getting into the sphere of influence of Minmus. I had to do several burns on the way there and had to do some more once in the SOI. This is my upgraded rover delivery system but it still flunked because the gravity is so low on Minmus I bounced! Happily my rover was able to get away and because it has its torque system I could right it.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now I'm trying to get a probe to Eve (the "not Venus" planet) but without trusty old Mechjeb I'm rather lost. I've been able to get into a solar, sorry, Kerbol orbit in roughly the same distance as Kerbin. I've been playing around with the maneuver mode planner but no matter how long I wait and where I move the node, I still can't get into Eve's SOI. I'm sure it's possible, I just can't figure out how :(
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally figured it out and I did get to Eve:
Enlarge Image

I even managed a flyby of Gilly:
Enlarge Image

And then I came in for a landing on Eve:
Enlarge Image

Turns out, it's wet:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I tried to get to Moho, but the out of plane burns used up all my fuel too soon :(

I decided to go to Duna. Things went better there. In fact it turned out that my approach trajectory would let me use Duna to swing around and enter the SOI of Ike.
Enlarge Image

I managed to get a really good pass of Ike:
Enlarge Image

I went back to Duna and got a nice close pass:
Enlarge Image

Since I had plenty of fuel, I went back to Ike and decided to try to see if I could land without gear. I almost made it.
Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So I bought this when it released. I played for about 30 minutes and hit a couple minor bugs in the tutorial. Specifically the 'pitch straight up' part would never register that I had indeed pitched straight up.... and then the graphic for the 'W' (wasd keys) was stuck on the screen when I tried to restart the tutorial - and then it was locked and I had to kill it... Anyhow, I re-restarted it all, and it went totally fine the 2nd time.

So, how's it feeling out there in space? Do you feel like the engine under this has changed much? Hard to tell?

I feel like I will let this get patched and upgraded a little before jumping fully back into it all.

I'm super impressed with your gumption and your press to tour the new solar system.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I ran into issues with the first set of tutorials as well. But as you did, I restarted and everything went smoother.

Everything is prettier with the new graphics. I like that they have made the size selection of parts much easier with the XS-S-M-L-XL labeling. I very much like the workspace concept I mentioned above. And the orbital mechanics graphics make leaving and entering the SOI of a planet or moon much easier to see. So overall I'd say I'm pleased with the new features. However, there is a long road for them to fix the bugs and do a lot of optimization.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Well, after impatiently waiting for KSP 2 since 2019, I now find that I have zero interest in playing this game. I simply can't play timewasters. I need progression in my games so that I feel like I'm working towards some goal, and without science I'm just pointlessly building rockets and watching them malfunction thanks to the many bugs. It's especially disappointing for me since I have been burning out on gaming over the past decade and I hoped the sequel to my favorite game ever would give me something to play again, but it's not happening. Guess I'll be back in a few years when they've hopefully finished the game and there's a reason for me to play it, but right now I'm realizing I need some new hobbies... :(
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

You can of course make your own goals, which is what I'm doing. I switched to probes to minimize my payload weight. My initial goal is to visit each planet and moon. Next, a soft (or at least survivable) landing. Then a rover to each place.

Beyond that I'd like to bring a Kerbal to each place, but that means weight and likely multiple vehicles. That in turn means orbital rendezvous and I still suck at that. So that is another goal, getting better at rendezvous.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And you are finding it stable enough right now to make those attempts? (I'm happy to hear it)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My 13yo is having endless trouble getting a stable rocket and he played KSP for many, many hours. I don't know if it is something with his system or settings, but he has been getting frustrated.

I bought it but it will sit in the backlog for a year or two until it's much more complete.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:53 pm And you are finding it stable enough right now to make those attempts? (I'm happy to hear it)
You mean the game or my rockets? Happily for me the answer to both is yes. I haven't had any game crashes. I have had a few times where I've pressed "Launch" while in the VAB and it just went to a loading screen and stayed there. I could press buttons and hear things happen, but couldn't see things. I've learned to just alt+tab and close KSP2, then start it again, load the saved rocket and then tweak one thing on it. Then it goes to the launch pad just fine.

Obviously I've also learned to not only save the rocket/workspace I'm working on before going to launch, but also to save the game at that point. These are easy steps and just common sense.

I have had some unstable rockets, like the video I posted above where the rocket just collapsed on the pad. However, I had that happen in KSP1 as well. It's more a matter of understanding that lateral disconnects aren't infinitely strong and even if sitting on the pad they are stable, launch starts and liftoff put a lot of strain on the structure. Again, stuff I saw in KSP1.

Once I'm out of the atmosphere things are fine, except for a few times where weirdly a lower stage remained stuck to an upper one even when I fired the engine of the upper one. That seemed to be more related to that specific configuration rather than a reoccurring bug.

There have been a few more bugs here and there but nothing I couldn't live with or work around. But then I'm one of the few who played Cyberpunk 2077 on opening day and didn't see a lot of the issues other folks did. I'm a glass half-full kind of guy.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, so a little buggy-ish (but not much)... and then a little KSP1 joint fragility.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:46 pm I'm a glass half-full kind of guy.
Cheers!
I'm a 'the glass is too big' guy. :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ladies and gentlemen... Dres!!
Enlarge Image

OK, so it's not very large :roll:. It was a pain to get there, but I did it :dance:

First of all, I did a direct ascent to interplanetary orbit, not bothering with an orbit around Kerbin first. This works better with my rocket which doesn't like gravity turns. Then from interplanetary orbit I had to do a burn to align my orbital plane with that of Dres. I went from seven degrees off to only 0.3 degrees, but those last fractions of a degrees were a pain when I got to the vicinity of Dres. Next time I'm aiming for a complete match of planes. As it is when I got close I had to do an out of plane burn back up to 5.3 degrees to get me close enough to enter the SOI of Dres.
Enlarge Image

As you can see from this image, after my course adjustments my entry and exit points of the SOI sphere (bottom center) were still pretty close together. When you look at that sphere, remember that the flight path goes from one bullseye to the other. So in this case the trajectory wasn't going to get too close to Dres.
Enlarge Image

And here it is, the payoff. I'm 57 seconds away from periapsis, 5524 km from Dres.
Enlarge Image

This is the view of Dres at periapsis. Next time I'm in this neighborhood I'm planning on a soft landing :ninja:
Enlarge Image
Montag

Post by Montag »

Mods are starting to roll out. A maneuver node editor is among them. I have not got it working - because of me.
words
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Montag wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:04 pm Mods are starting to roll out. A maneuver node editor is among them. I have not got it working - because of me.
Do you have links? Thanks!
Montag

Post by Montag »

words
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks, I haven't been that much to their forum and the Discord is a bit of a mess. So now I know where to look :D
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Apollo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:24 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:49 pm Hah, just looked this up over on the original KSP forum thread. Almost ten years to the week.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:13 pm Damn forum effect :D . Just ordered myself a copy.
Cool idea! I went back and found my first post on the game from March 11th, a few weeks after yours:
Picked this up the other day. Decided to set goals for my space program similar to those of NASA in the 60's:
I had a look back. On March 4 2013 I wrote:
Hrdina wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 am
jztemple2 wrote:Downloaded the demo. OMG it's addicting :D
This one is on my list for when I get a new computer (hopefully in the near future).

I'm still using my single-core machine from April 2005 (really!).

For now I will have to live vicariously through YouTube.
Then, the very next day...
Hrdina wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 pm
jztemple2 wrote:Don't know if this was highlighted before, but over on the KSP forum there's a thread called Beginner's Guide which has a link to a pretty nice 31 page PDF guide for the beginner. It probably goes beyond what a beginner needs, but it's a good overview of what you can do in the game.
So, despite posting that the my computer doesn't meet the game's specs, I downloaded the demo and gave it a try. It seems to run fine, so off we go.

I tried to build a few things on my own, which failed spectacularly. So, I opened up the beginner guide and built something like the first orbital ship. I managed to get it into orbit, even if it was on some arbitrary inclination due to my terrific piloting skills. Unfortunately for pilot "Bill", when I tried to end my orbit circularization burn, instead of pressing X to cut throttle I pressed space, which separated the engine and fuel from the command module. So, the first Kerbal in orbit will end up staying there far longer than expected.

After that, I just played around with a few sub-orbital hops to get used to the controls. A couple of highlights:

* One rocket started heading back toward ground, and the pilot just kept grinning away. This guy actually survived, after shutting down the throttle and performing a couple of quick emergency stage separations. I was surprised he didn't get crushed by his own booster while under parachute.

* Another I flew straight up from the pad, and performed stage separations before the gravity turn. The CM came successfully landed maybe 100 meters from the tower, punctuated by the explosions from the first-stage boosters coming home. The VIP viewing stands were not amused by this.

In any event, it's time to get out the credit card.
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Over on the KSP2 forum, this post, Week One Adventures. Lots of stuff there, but first:
Early Access has also yielded its first crop of bugs for us to fix, and we’re already making good headway. Our first Early Access update, which is planned to take place in the next couple of weeks, will contain the following fixes (as well as many other improvements that we’ll break down in more detail in our patch notes when the update goes out):
After that is quite a long list of those fixes. And further down in that thread, from the same guy (my italics)
Point of clarity: this is not a list of "bugs we are aware of," this is a list detailing a subset of the issues that will be addressed in the first update. We have a very good sense of which of the current bugs are affecting gameplay quality the most, but in the interest of managing expectations we will not pre-announce any fixes until they have been tested and verified on our end. We appreciate the detailed and thorough reporting we've received from our community so far - that reporting is helping us to determine task priority and we are working hard on fixing those items. Since not all fixes require the same amount of effort, the order in which these items are completed does not necessarily reflect the order in which they are being assigned internally.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Approaching Patch One
We continue to make good headway on performance improvements and bug squashing. In fact, we managed to sneak a few additional fixes into the first patch, including a fairly high-impact resource flow optimization. We also fixed the "Kraken drive" bug that created insane reverse thrust when an engine’s nozzle was obstructed - so if you’re working on a Kraken ship, the "unique" physics on which it depends are about to go away forever. We may not in fact have killed the Kraken yet, but we have definitely stubbed its tentacle.

As to the timing of Patch One... QA is thoroughly testing the build right now, and as soon as they give us a thumbs-up, we’ll release it. Right now, our goal is to release that patch next Thursday (March 16th). Provided QA does not uncover any show-stopping bugs over the next few days, that date should hold. If they do run into something unexpected that needs to be fixed, that date will slip.
There's more in the article.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The patch has been released, and... v0.1.1.0 Patch Notes. There are way, way too many items to copy and paste, those interested should check out the article.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I'm starting to get worried about KSP 2's future. When the game was first released I was disappointed but I understood that the game was early access, etc. and that it would get better over time (I wonder if the failure of "Midnight Suns" was the impetus to change KSP 2 to EA but still charge full price :( ). Most folks I talked to thought we would get the next step on the development ladder (Science) in 2-3 months. Yet here we are 6 months after release and they are not even mentioning the release of the Science update yet. In fact, they still haven't figured out how to solve basic problems like wobbly rockets, and have yet to implement atmospheric heating effects, stuff I expected on day 1 of EA.

On top of this, we're getting much less feedback from the developers than we were the first few months. In fact, in the last 2 months there have been only a couple of updates and one of those was on everything involved in implementing heating effects. Reading that post on Steam convinced me that they have bitten off more than they could chew. Instead of doing things in a more "game-like" fashion it seems that they are trying to build a rocket simulator, which of course is going to take a lot more time and money than simply making a game.

Furthermore, the longer this game takes to reach a truly playable state, the more negatives are being associated with it. Not every game rises from the ashes in "No Man's Sky" fashion and I'm starting to wonder if this game is ever going to be finished or if it's going to be rushed out unfinished as the developers cut their losses and move on to whatever's next. Steam reviews keep getting worse and I don't foresee that changing any time soon.

If KSP 2 was not the sequel to my favorite game of all time, I probably wouldn't be so concerned. But I'm really starting to worry at this point...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wasn't the original game more or less a rocket simulator and didn't it take a very long time to get out of Early Access? It was one of the original games, if not the first, to use the Early Access formula, and I remember them taking their sweet time before announcing it was out of Early Access. I remember it was at least 2 or 3 years before that happened.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think it was about 4 years.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Introducing For Science!
Major Content Update Out in December

Hello Kerbonauts!

Some exciting announcements as we enter the chilly months.

In December, we'll release a major content update for Kerbal Space Program 2! In past dev diary posts and video dev chats we've referred to the update as Dot Two or Science. We're thrilled to officially dub this update...

For Science!
(Yes, the exclamation point is part of the update name. It's the most important!)
Article includes the following highlights:
  • Exploration Mode
  • Science Collection Parts and Interface
  • Tech Tree
  • Mission Control
  • Heating and Thermal
  • Wobbly Rockets Improvements
  • Aaaaand More!
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:59 pm Introducing For Science!
Major Content Update Out in December

Hello Kerbonauts!

Some exciting announcements as we enter the chilly months.

In December, we'll release a major content update for Kerbal Space Program 2! In past dev diary posts and video dev chats we've referred to the update as Dot Two or Science. We're thrilled to officially dub this update...

For Science!
(Yes, the exclamation point is part of the update name. It's the most important!)
Article includes the following highlights:
  • Exploration Mode
  • Science Collection Parts and Interface
  • Tech Tree
  • Mission Control
  • Heating and Thermal
  • Wobbly Rockets Improvements
  • Aaaaand More!
Kinda weird all of this coming from nowhere. But this is great news. With science added, KSP 2 actually becomes a Game which is a huuuuge step forward from where it is now.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The science update is coming on December 19th,

Enlarge Image

Meanwhile....

For Science! Performance Check-In
The team has been hard at work improving the performance of Kerbal Space Program 2 since launch, so we'd like to take a moment to really showcase the difference between the Early Access launch (v0.1.0.0) and the For Science (v0.2.0.0) release coming next week on December 19... Here's a look at some graphs we use to understand the game's performance and the improvements that have been made to our minimum specification and recommended specification machines:

Enlarge Image
FPS between EA launch and For Science! on minimum specs.

Enlarge Image
FPS between EA launch and For Science! on recommended specs.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For Science! is out now, I'll be giving it a look. Meanwhile, a new keyboard overlay from the devs, updated for the new release.

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The science release puts it in a place where I care, but I am going to try to hold out a while so I don't burn out years before 1.0 like I did with the original.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter