[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:18 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:03 pm Not for every show, but as soon as a real conversation starts, it should probably get one. It isn't like we're running out space on the front page or pushing things off in two hours like in them olden days.
Yeah the challenge is that you never know when a conversation is going to take off and by the time it is clear, it is too late.

I think trailers in the megathread is totally reasonable to build awareness of a show, but once the show is available and people start watching it, it is time for the individual thread. Of course I have no authority, just an opinion. :)
+1
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:04 pm Damn...what other shows are coming up on HBO that I can't miss? I want to catch up on everything if I have to subscribe for a month.
New On HBO Max February 2022, Plus What’s Coming Next
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:32 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:04 pm Damn...what other shows are coming up on HBO that I can't miss? I want to catch up on everything if I have to subscribe for a month.
New On HBO Max February 2022, Plus What’s Coming Next
Eh, seems likely I'll wait until the GOT spin-off.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:49 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:03 pm Not for every show, but as soon as a real conversation starts, it should probably get one. It isn't like we're running out space on the front page or pushing things off in two hours like in them olden days.
Yeah the challenge is that you never know when a conversation is going to take off and by the time it is clear, it is too late.

I think trailers in the megathread is totally reasonable to build awareness of a show, but once the show is available and people start watching it, it is time for the individual thread. Of course I have no authority, just an opinion. :)
+1
I often see shows I'd never watch otherwise (Arcane is a great example). I'd probably never go into an Arcane thread but I watched that show strictly based on feedback in the Netflix thread (both here and on Gamers with Jobs). If individual shows get their own thread every time I don't think as many people will see the show. I know I never would have seen Arcane without all the talk about how good it was.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm actually more likely to check out a show if it gets its own thread. There are so many shows that are released, get a few comments, and just sort of vanish that I tend to notice a show more if it is popular enough to warrant its own, separate discussion.

And there is the same problem with all of the other mass threads: dumping everything into one pile with overlapping conversations makes for a confusing mess when people aren't sure which comments apply to which discussions, makes it impossible to dig up a discussion later down the road when it is split between a few posts on each of a dozen pages, and actually discourages conversation with the perception that the thread has 'moved on' or that a post is being ignored.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't see us having any strict rules to enforce, but I think it makes sense to start discussions in a general thread and then move off from there if it seems justified (as with Raised by Wolves). Not every show needs its own thread, but there may come a time when it's warranted. That said, there are also some shows that will justify their own thread right away (I haven't gone into the Peacemaker thread since I haven't watched the show yet, but that certainly seems like it gets enough traffic to justify its own thread).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:16 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:49 pm

+1
I often see shows I'd never watch otherwise (Arcane is a great example). I'd probably never go into an Arcane thread but I watched that show strictly based on feedback in the Netflix thread (both here and on Gamers with Jobs). If individual shows get their own thread every time I don't think as many people will see the show. I know I never would have seen Arcane without all the talk about how good it was.
I'm fine with people mentioning/raving/hating on new shows in this thread; and then if they want to discuss them further, creating their own thread. You get the best of both worlds. Someone gives an opinion on a show, a few people agree, then you wonder off to a different thread to elaborate.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I hate that show.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Because I'm their best customer, HBO said I should get the $7.49 / month rate I paid last year during the last promotion. I'm sure I'm the only one that received this email, I wanted to brag. Also, good job HBO for keeping your hooks in me with all of your fantastic shows.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freyland wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:58 pm I hate that show.
A lot of people seemed to hate the new Sex and the City show. Was your issue the absence of Samantha? I know you were a big Samantha guy.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:14 pm
Freyland wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:58 pm I hate that show.
A lot of people seemed to hate the new Sex and the City show. Was your issue the absence of Samantha? I know you were a big Samantha guy.
Well done picking up what I was laying down! :wub:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:01 pm Because I'm their best customer, HBO said I should get the $7.49 / month rate I paid last year during the last promotion. I'm sure I'm the only one that received this email, I wanted to brag. Also, good job HBO for keeping your hooks in me with all of your fantastic shows.
You and me both, buddy.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the first season of Euphoria this past weekend. It's my new high water mark for depressing TV. 13 Reasons Why is a freaking party by comparison. I also can no longer look at Zendaya the same way ever again. Also, in the past few weeks I have seen more penises watching Euphoria than in the other 49.75-ish years of my life combined.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I tried watching it after hearing some folks raving about it online, but it's not my cup of tea. It's basically the English tv show Skins that caused a big hoopla years ago.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I would have to know someone pretty well before I would even think about recommending it. Like I told my wife there is no way on earth she should watch this. And no, it has nothing to do with all the penises.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Sydney Sweeney makes me feel like an old perv.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:56 pm Sydney Sweeney makes me feel like an old perv.
it's funny, because I can see that they are all attractive, but something has changed in me in the past decade and I am much more disturbed by the situations and trauma they are all dealing with and way less interested in how attractive they are. I guess my inner Daehawk died. Also, straight up looks-wise, she's like #3 or 4 for me. Maddy > Lexi > Cassie and it might even be a toss-up between Cassie and Jules.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:03 pm
stimpy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:56 pm Sydney Sweeney makes me feel like an old perv.
it's funny, because I can see that they are all attractive, but something has changed in me in the past decade and I am much more disturbed by the situations and trauma they are all dealing with and way less interested in how attractive they are. I guess my inner Daehawk died. Also, straight up looks-wise, she's like #3 or 4 for me. Maddy > Lexi > Cassie and it might even be a toss-up between Cassie and Jules.
Maddy is 31. (playing an 18 year old!!)
Lexi is 24.
Cassie is 24.
Jules is 25.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sydney Sweeney takes my vote for most beautiful woman of the last two years. She’s absolutely gorgeous. And quite talented. She was fantastic on White Lotus.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't realize there was an HBO Max / Discovery+ merger happening:
Merging the two platforms is something Wiedenfels said he expects will take a few months for Warner Bros. Discovery to “do it in a way that’s actually a great user experience for our subscribers.” In the meantime, HBO Max and Discovery Plus customers should expect at least some form of bundling.

Wiedenfels suggested that could take the form of content sharing between the two platforms and the introduction of a single sign-on. One question the executive didn’t answer is how much it will cost to subscribe to the new combined service. Discovery Plus and HBO Max currently start at $5 and $10 per month, with both platforms offering more expensive ad-free tiers.

It’s not surprising to learn that Discovery and TimeWarner plan to unify their streaming platforms. When the merger was first announced last year, it was positioned as a move that would make the two companies better able to compete with Netflix, Disney+ and other rivals.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

John Oliver has been making it a part of his show.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For the Harley Quinn fans, season 3 is still on the way, held back this long by animation delays due to COVID and the general collapse of society. But HBO has announced they're doing a spin-off:
According to Schumacker, Noonan’s will follow Kite Man as he buys Noonan’s Bar. “He tries to run the bar by himself but it doesn’t turn out so easy,” Schumacker revealed accoding to SlashFilm. “We have Harley and Ivy appear in the first episode, but after that we have with different goons and villains appearing every episode like Lex Luthor and Bane. It will be kind of like ‘Cheers’ for supervillains.”
Sounds oddly familiar...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As long as I get whining Bane, I'll be happy.

Harley Quinn still stands as one of the funniest supes show on TV. I'm sure the ever popular Kite Man spinoff will be just as good.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kite man spin-off? HELL YEAH.

After blasting through the first two seasons of Harley Quinn, I am really looking forward to whatever is next.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It must include Bane and 'splosions though.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Anyone watching the new show about the Lakers in the late 70s/early 80s? Only two episodes in but it's *great*. John C. Reilly is so damned good.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:23 pm Anyone watching the new show about the Lakers in the late 70s/early 80s? Only two episodes in but it's *great*. John C. Reilly is so damned good.
I hesitated but now will check it out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Sold. I didn't realize he was in it? That dude can play anything. Is he playing Kareem?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hot Rod Hundley?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm three episodes into OUR FLAG MEANS DEATH. There's nothing groundbreaking here, but it's got a clever, light feeling and plenty of DNA (as well as actors) from other New Zealand comedies like FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS and WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS.

Really very fun.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:44 pm I'm three episodes into OUR FLAG MEANS DEATH. There's nothing groundbreaking here, but it's got a clever, light feeling and plenty of DNA (as well as actors) from other New Zealand comedies like FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS and WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS.

Really very fun.
S1E4 is a Taika Waititi episode, and it is superb.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:23 pm 1) Tigtone - A parody of D&D characters starring Tigtone, a blissfully unaware hero with only one desire: to quest. It's far more bizarre than that synopsis makes it sound though. Far more.
...and I just discovered that this was cancelled after season 2. Helpy! Make this be... not true!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:39 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:23 pm 1) Tigtone - A parody of D&D characters starring Tigtone, a blissfully unaware hero with only one desire: to quest. It's far more bizarre than that synopsis makes it sound though. Far more.
...and I just discovered that this was cancelled after season 2. Helpy! Make this be... not true!
Wait, what? Noooooooooooo!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:(

Tigtone will always be with us.
Spoiler:
While nothing will ever fill the void the loss of Helpy has created, here's some under the radar (CALLBACK!) fun adult animated shows I also found humorous to funny.

Jeff and Some Aliens (Paramount Plus)
Spoiler:
Dicktown (Hulu)
Spoiler:
Moonbeam City (Paramount Plus)
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:50 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:44 pm I'm three episodes into OUR FLAG MEANS DEATH. There's nothing groundbreaking here, but it's got a clever, light feeling and plenty of DNA (as well as actors) from other New Zealand comedies like FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS and WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS.

Really very fun.
S1E4 is a Taika Waititi episode, and it is superb.
I'm going to keep evangelizing for this show. I just finished e8, and I declare it one of the few series where every episode is better than the last.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Really very fun.
Rhys Darby?! IN
88% Rotten Tomatoes? IN...again
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you finish your Righteous Gemstones yet, young man?
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:39 pm Did you finish your Righteous Gemstones yet, young man?
No sir, but I have a great excuse: I realized I never finished Vice Principals, and since someone (you?) mentioned that that was better than RG, I felt I owed it to myself to watch that first.

All I have to say is that whatever you may think of Danny McBride’s sense of humor, you at least have to give him props for producing some of the raunchiest stuff in Hollywood with nary a breast, penis or ass to be shown (ok there might be some ass-showing :D OK, a lot, but not that kind).

Not sure ‘raunch’ is even the correct word there. Shock?He’s very much in line with the writing on It’s Always Sunny, and I would be hard-pressed to say which is ‘worse’.