[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: [Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:58 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:47 pm Still, I think people are really overstating the potential negative impact of the name change.
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:28 pm Anyone heard from SyFy lately?
Odds are good that "Max" isn't any more trademarkable in English-speaking countries than SciFi was.
Sure it is. SciFi is a genre description that literally describes the content on the network. Max, in the context of streaming services, is a fanciful term. Assuming it's not in prior use by someone else somewhere, I don't see why they would have any problems protecting their mark in the context of streaming services. They're not going to be able to stop someone else from calling their restaurant Burgers to the Max, but I'm not sure why they would care.
Rumpy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:18 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:47 pm

T
Give it some time. What did Hulu mean? What did Verizon mean? Man, did we make fun of Verizon when they trotted out that name! [edit]I thought of another one! Accenture was raked over the coals when they came up with that name in the aftermath of Arthur Anderson's collapse![/edit] Max is already starting out in a better place than either of those with the shift from HBOMax to Max, and the clever visual of keeping the stylized HBO O visual in the new logo as the center of the "a" further reinforces it.

Sure, maybe in 3-5 years, if they don't change it again before then, which has been the trendy thing to do as of late. But time is money. What they've had with the HBO branding is momentum that was carried with the recognition it had.
What momentum are they losing? This is what I don't get about this argument. That the service is changing from HBOMax to Max is blindingly obvious to those who already subscribe. They're not going to get lost in the transition except to the extent they have difficulties with new apps - but that would be an issue regardless of whether they kept the name HBOMax for the new combined service or not. Are they going to lose new subscribers who can't figure out that when they search for the HBOMax app and the results tell them that HBOMax is now Max, that means that the service has changed names? Are they going to lose people who would be happy to spend $x/month to watch House of the Dragon on HBOMax, but won't pay the same amount to watch House of the Dragon on Max?

This isn't being done in a vacuum. They're not secretly changing the name HBOMax to Max. They're advertising it heavily. Their cable networks are pounding that you can watch the content on Max.

Once again, what's going to spell success or failure for Warner/Discovery is most likely to come down to whether people are willing to pay for their content, not whether they call the service HBOMax or Max.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had a free HBO Max sub with AT&T wireless service. Wonder if that disappeared with this change.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:30 am I had a free HBO Max sub with AT&T wireless service. Wonder if that disappeared with this change.
https://tvanswerman.com/2023/04/14/hbo- ... 20May%2023.
A few AT&T subs wondered if they would lose their entire HBO Max subscription on May 23. However, Chris Willard, a WBD spokesperson, tells The TV Answer Man that all HBO Max subscribers will have access to their current plan features for a minimum of six months after Max's launch on May 23.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:25 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:58 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:47 pm Still, I think people are really overstating the potential negative impact of the name change.
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:28 pm Anyone heard from SyFy lately?
Odds are good that "Max" isn't any more trademarkable in English-speaking countries than SciFi was.
Sure it is. SciFi is a genre description that literally describes the content on the network. Max, in the context of streaming services, is a fanciful term. Assuming it's not in prior use by someone else somewhere, I don't see why they would have any problems protecting their mark in the context of streaming services. They're not going to be able to stop someone else from calling their restaurant Burgers to the Max, but I'm not sure why they would care.
Rumpy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:18 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:47 pm

T
Give it some time. What did Hulu mean? What did Verizon mean? Man, did we make fun of Verizon when they trotted out that name! [edit]I thought of another one! Accenture was raked over the coals when they came up with that name in the aftermath of Arthur Anderson's collapse![/edit] Max is already starting out in a better place than either of those with the shift from HBOMax to Max, and the clever visual of keeping the stylized HBO O visual in the new logo as the center of the "a" further reinforces it.

Sure, maybe in 3-5 years, if they don't change it again before then, which has been the trendy thing to do as of late. But time is money. What they've had with the HBO branding is momentum that was carried with the recognition it had.
What momentum are they losing? This is what I don't get about this argument. That the service is changing from HBOMax to Max is blindingly obvious to those who already subscribe. They're not going to get lost in the transition except to the extent they have difficulties with new apps - but that would be an issue regardless of whether they kept the name HBOMax for the new combined service or not. Are they going to lose new subscribers who can't figure out that when they search for the HBOMax app and the results tell them that HBOMax is now Max, that means that the service has changed names? Are they going to lose people who would be happy to spend $x/month to watch House of the Dragon on HBOMax, but won't pay the same amount to watch House of the Dragon on Max?

This isn't being done in a vacuum. They're not secretly changing the name HBOMax to Max. They're advertising it heavily. Their cable networks are pounding that you can watch the content on Max.

Once again, what's going to spell success or failure for Warner/Discovery is most likely to come down to whether people are willing to pay for their content, not whether they call the service HBOMax or Max.
tell us who you work for without telling us who you work for.........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

AT&T sold Warner long ago. Try to keep up.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Was I supposed to know you work for AT&T or Warner?
I must have missed that part in your newsletter.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

1) I've always been very vocal about the AT&T part of my employment.

2) Your "Tell me without telling me" bit obviously fell pretty flat if you thought that was me telling you I worked for WBD.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Honestly because of your staunch insistence that the name change is not somehow totally stupid and/or unnecessary, I thought you worked for HBO or HBO Max or Max or.........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Honestly your attempted dig landed with a thud. Take the L and move on.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:18 pm Honestly your attempted dig landed with a thud. Take the L and move on.
Nah......I liked it. That's really all that matters.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

CNBC wrote:As CNBC reported in April, the name change is designed to signal that Max is a family-friendly streaming service with more offerings than just prestige dramas like “Succession” and “The Sopranos.”
Which is essentially what I pointed out in my post. The name change isn't stupid at all from a corporate perspective if they're trying to reach a broader family demographic.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Nobody that is older than 30 (maybe 40) is going to initially think it is anything but a rehashed version of Skinamax.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

YellowKing wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:23 pm
CNBC wrote:As CNBC reported in April, the name change is designed to signal that Max is a family-friendly streaming service with more offerings than just prestige dramas like “Succession” and “The Sopranos.”
Which is essentially what I pointed out in my post. The name change isn't stupid at all from a corporate perspective if they're trying to reach a broader family demographic.
Tell me who you work for without telling me who you work for . . . .

:tjg:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:33 am
Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:30 am I had a free HBO Max sub with AT&T wireless service. Wonder if that disappeared with this change.
https://tvanswerman.com/2023/04/14/hbo- ... 20May%2023.
A few AT&T subs wondered if they would lose their entire HBO Max subscription on May 23. However, Chris Willard, a WBD spokesperson, tells The TV Answer Man that all HBO Max subscribers will have access to their current plan features for a minimum of six months after Max's launch on May 23.
So we went from “HBO Max is a benefit included with your service” to “you’ll get 6 months, enjoy it while you can”.

Awesome.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s all designed to force re-subscription to prop up the bottom lane after the merger.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't think WBD cares whether the subscriber is paying directly or AT&T is paying for the subscriber - a subscriber is a subscriber. (Note: I have no actual knowledge of how the AT&T/WBD arrangement works in this case - I'm just speculating.)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zarathud wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:20 pm I think they did it so they’re pitching a disposable but overall MAX streaming service. Their cross-platform advertising and upsell is ridiculously aggressive. My kids are pissed they can no longer get South Park on Hulu — instead it pitches the upgrade for MAX+Live TV and sports. I think South Park is buried in MAX, but they’re relying on forcing service “upgrades” to survive. And that pisses me off.
South Park wasn't buried when I fired it up. It was one of the marquee items.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Some stuff that wasn't 4k before now is. Lord of the Rings is a big one. Not that I feel like watching it right now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Alefroth wrote:
Zarathud wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:20 pm I think they did it so they’re pitching a disposable but overall MAX streaming service. Their cross-platform advertising and upsell is ridiculously aggressive. My kids are pissed they can no longer get South Park on Hulu — instead it pitches the upgrade for MAX+Live TV and sports. I think South Park is buried in MAX, but they’re relying on forcing service “upgrades” to survive. And that pisses me off.
Something tells me you aren’t watching the same shows as the women in my life. ;)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zarathud wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:44 pm
Alefroth wrote:
Something tells me you aren’t watching the same shows as the women in my life. ;)
Perhaps =)
Right now Max is Perry Mason, Barry, Jon Oliver, and Succession.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:48 pm Right now Max is Perry Mason, Barry, Jon Oliver, and Succession.
All excellent choices. I really enjoyed Perry Mason's second season. More than the first, I think.
Covfefe!
telcta

Post by telcta »

I don’t don’t why we drifted away from Perry Mason in the first season but I probably should go back and finish this off. It’s encouraging to hear the second season is better.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ok, I was unaware that HBO was still going to exist. I retract my previous comment. I thought HBO/HBOMax was turning into MAX.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Octavious wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:21 pm Some stuff that wasn't 4k before now is. Lord of the Rings is a big one. Not that I feel like watching it right now.
I did notice a lot more stuff got upgraded quality with the switch to Max. A lot more 4K, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos content.
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm just happy that they didn't purge Rome from their catalog. I'm rewatching the series for maybe the third time and it really holds up 18 years later. Good acting and script writing can really make a show stand the test of time.

THIRTEEN!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

This seems to be where most of the Succession talk has been... I thought the finale was excellent but have one quibble.
Spoiler:
Shiv's reversal at the board meeting came out of nowhere. She was rightfully upset her deal was finished, and that Tom was taking over her spot. That seemed to be the final nail in the coffin of their relationship. Seemingly had no desire to want to work with and/or get back with Tom.

She also seemed to have genuinely joined Team Kendall. I don't recall her seeming anxious or doubtful at all and then suddenly when she can cast the deciding vote she falters?

Tom putting the sticker on Greg was fantastic. I figured Kendall would jump out a window or something but it's pretty clear he's just broken now.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm glad the season is over. I felt Season 4 was just pointless drivel for 80% of the show. I didn't feel that way for the first 3 seasons.

Now to finish Barry.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daveman wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:35 am This seems to be where most of the Succession talk has been... I thought the finale was excellent but have one quibble.
Spoiler:
Shiv's reversal at the board meeting came out of nowhere. She was rightfully upset her deal was finished, and that Tom was taking over her spot. That seemed to be the final nail in the coffin of their relationship. Seemingly had no desire to want to work with and/or get back with Tom.

She also seemed to have genuinely joined Team Kendall. I don't recall her seeming anxious or doubtful at all and then suddenly when she can cast the deciding vote she falters?

Tom putting the sticker on Greg was fantastic. I figured Kendall would jump out a window or something but it's pretty clear he's just broken now.
Spoiler:
I think she was so angry at Mattson’s betrayal that she was on board…until Kendall stood up in front of the board and gave his cocky little speech. It was at that point that she broke ranks. You could see she was visibly upset and torn.

They are all just so damn horrible though. It’s easy for me to see Shiv stabbing her brother in the back. Hell, I can see them all doing it. Mainly because they did just that over the course of 4 seasons.

I especially liked that final scene with Shiv and Tom where he lays out his hand like he expects her to be a dutiful wife and hold it, and she just flops her hand on top of his with zero affection or joy. That sums up almost all human interaction on this show.

I do think it was kind of a happy ending for Roman though. He seemed to almost crack a smile after leaving the office and going to a bar. I feel like he was just glad to be free.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stimpy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:26 pm Nobody that is older than 30 (maybe 40) is going to initially think it is anything but a rehashed version of Skinamax.
If they want to reach me, they'll bring back the HBO After Dark content and add to it.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean, it’s 2023. Every imaginable type of porn is available within a moment’s notice thanks to something called the internet. Why would a possible glimpse of full nudity on a pay channel be a draw in this day and age? That’s like living next door to a free, all you can eat McDonalds, and wishing someone would toss a half eaten burger out their car window when they drove by one afternoon.

Now, promise me a Wahlberg free streaming service and we’ll talk.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:58 pm Reality

Enlarge Image
I didn't like the first half-hour of this. I was expecting a docu-drama and got more of a reenactment, in which Sydney Sweeney acts a literal real-time transcript of Winner's interview with the FBI while they tear her house apart. The dialog is as stilted and banal as real-life conversation. But I got swept up in it as it unfolded. Mostly, I couldn't believe that she submitted to FBI questioning without insisting on having an attorney present. But she apparently didn't really know where it was going until she was all-in.

It's a creative storytelling technique that some will no doubt find slow and boring. On balance, I liked it. Just don't go in expecting any drama or action, and only minimal exposition.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:38 pm I mean, it’s 2023. Every imaginable type of porn is available within a moment’s notice thanks to something called the internet. Why would a possible glimpse of full nudity on a pay channel be a draw in this day and age? That’s like living next door to a free, all you can eat McDonalds, and wishing someone would toss a half eaten burger out their car window when they drove by one afternoon.

Now, promise me a Wahlberg free streaming service and we’ll talk.
Didn't someone mention something about HBO being a brand know for it's quality? There's nothing in the free-porn world that compares with the nekkid but not porn programming on HBO After Dark. Although one of their stars did die as he tried crossing over to politics.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

High quality porn? It's porn, for god's sake. Are you looking for a series called "Topless Women Read Carl Jung"?

...cause I'm sure I can find that, given enough time.

edit: would you settle for "Topless Hepcat Reads Horton Hears a Who"?
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

It used to be "Pantless Hepcat does...."
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What'ya mean "used to"? :?
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Week, then it's going to be "Naked Hepcat Reads Horton Hears a Who"?, isn't it?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:07 pm Okay, you win, HBO. I’ll stick around for Perry Mason season 2 and Succession. But after that…we’re quits.

…well, after Doom Patrol ends, that is.
…and the third season of The Righteous Gemstones. But after that, we’re done! You hear me!

P.S. third season of TRG is just as good as all the others. Friggin’ (dark) comedy gold. :wub:
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Just saw that season 3 of Warrior starts on Thursday. Time to dim the lights (the show is very low lit) and watch some brutal violence!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Two things have really put me off on the service now.

One is that the main things suggested for me now, always at the top of my feed, are freaking discovery reality shows. My least favorite things to watch. Since Mythbusters and Good Eats went off the air, I haven't watched watched anything on those channels, and I don't plan on watching any of those things.

Two, I went to my main go-to, the curated TCM channel, and it's a mess now too. If you go into the A-Z lists, any movie title that starts with the word "The" are all lumped together. Same with if they start with "A". Just dumb.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire