Watch Dogs: Legion

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion

Post by Max Peck »

Celia may be a one-trick pony, but it's a heck of a trick.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Her farting? I saw a Twitch stream and someone recruited her. Flatulence was one of her things.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:31 am
Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:36 am I've got 26 hours in, have recruited 33 agents, liberated all the boroughs, completed the boxing side mission, and I'm at all of 15% story completion. :lol:
That's kind of the way I feel, doing all those side and recruiting missions are a lot of fun.
That's pretty much where I was when I decided it was time to take on the story. Basically I did the first couple story missions, liberated all the regions, did some recruiting for constructions workers and Albion folks and a couple more because they were cute or had a cool weapon or something. I did thre boxing thing, the 404 quests and a few of her contracts. At max I think I have 27 or 28 people. I did a bunch of side missions, but kind of tailed off when I had maxed out all the stuff you could spend tech points on and then just mainlined the story.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:14 am Her farting? I saw a Twitch stream and someone recruited her. Flatulence was one of her things.
Negative traits like that actually show up on that screen so you know ahead of time. I saw lots of burping but don't think I saw farting, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. I generally didn't recruit people with neagtiave traits.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would be funny to be sneaking around and fart and give yourself away.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Found a trick in an article and used it in game to get through a locked gate, cool stuff:
Spoiler:
This works well if you are in the uniform for a place you want to enter but don't have a spiderbot to go crawling around inside and unlock a gate for you. Just stand near the gate and use the insult emote to get a guard pissed at you. They'll move to the gate and open it to come out and give you a beatdown, so after you've given them the beatdown the gate will be open :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've hit the max limit on my recruitment, so I did some checking. Apparently the max cap is twenty for recruits, and some number higher than that for operatives. So I'm managing my recruit limit and being more aggressive in turning them into operatives, including having at least two Clan Kelley and two Albion members at all times so if I lose one I don't have to go run a recruitment mission.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been knocking out missions reasonably easy using uniformed operatives, so this afternoon I've decided to gather some tech gadgets but using non-uniformed operatives. These are my "DedSec fodder", operatives I've picked up when they were arrested and in handcuffs by Albion, that way I didn't have to do a whole mission to recruit them. Usually they are of little value, having few or even sometimes no attributes. I'm using them to infiltrate locations and grab the tech gadgets. Since it was easy to recruit them, if they get arrested or dead, well, they didn't cost me all that much :roll:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:12 pm I've hit the max limit on my recruitment, so I did some checking. Apparently the max cap is twenty for recruits, and some number higher than that for operatives. So I'm managing my recruit limit and being more aggressive in turning them into operatives, including having at least two Clan Kelley and two Albion members at all times so if I lose one I don't have to go run a recruitment mission.
What is the difference between a recruit and an operative? Or do you mean recruits are the people you have tagged for potential recruitment?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gbasden wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:58 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:12 pm I've hit the max limit on my recruitment, so I did some checking. Apparently the max cap is twenty for recruits, and some number higher than that for operatives. So I'm managing my recruit limit and being more aggressive in turning them into operatives, including having at least two Clan Kelley and two Albion members at all times so if I lose one I don't have to go run a recruitment mission.
What is the difference between a recruit and an operative? Or do you mean recruits are the people you have tagged for potential recruitment?
Yes, recruits are folks you've tagged and added to your team list but haven't done anything about making them operatives. They are the ones on the bottom part of the team page. I guess instead of calling them "recruits" I could call them "candidates". An operative is an agent you can actually control. They are the ones on the top part of the team page. OK, "candidates" and "operatives".

Meanwhile, here is some news from PC Gamer, Watch Dogs: Legion corrupted save fix may be several days away, Ubisoft says: Crashes and hangs (that are not really hangs) are causing hours of progress to be lost.
Watch Dogs: Legion players are reporting a pretty big problem with the game's save system in the Watch Dogs subreddit and Ubisoft forum: When players don't properly exit the game, save data is being erased. Because there's only one save slot, and no option to manually save, hours of progress—sometimes entire campaigns—are being lost. Ubisoft says it's aware of the problem and that a fix is in the works, but it may not be out until early next week.

"We’re aware some players are having difficulties and we’re looking to address these issues in an upcoming patch by November 9," a Ubisoft rep said in an email. "We’ll have more information on the contents of the patch in the coming days."

One of the core issues, broken down in detail in this Ubisoft forum post, is that saving on exit sometimes takes so long that that the game appears to hang, leading some players to use alt-F4 to force it to close, leading to save corruption. The duration appears to vary—some users say the save process wraps up in five minutes or so, but redditor smoothjazz666 said they attempted to return to the main menu, then took their dog for a walk, came back, and it was still stuck—but waiting it out may save you some headaches.

Redditor Natanaeltedja shared a more comprehensive workaround: Disable the cloud service and start Ubisoft Connect in offline mode, and set the Watch Dogs: Legion app affinity to a single core: When the game is running, open the Windows task bar, select the "Details" tab, then right-click on Legion and choose the "set affinity" option. Select a single core (other than CPU 0), then return to the game and quit out to the main menu—after a brief pause, it should quit normally.
That last paragraph's solution sounds rather convoluted. I think I'd rather just wait :roll:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, if I'm impatient when I exit I just alt-tab out to do whatever else and go back in to quit in a minute or three once it's had time to do whatever it's doing.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I've actually checked out the in-game labeling of people and the game uses "potential recruits" and "operatives" as the way your team members are identified, so I'll go with that :D

And again I'm so impressed with another Ubisoft title that has an incredibly detailed game world. Walking around London is just so interesting, more so than the cities in WD1 or WD2. Yes, there is reuse of graphics, but that happens in the real world (think of how many political signs are the same). This would be another good title to deserve its own Discovery Tour. There are not only landmarks, but also just really cool places in the city.

Also, the "recruit anyone" mechanics really do work well, because the people you meet aren't really random. I was in a fancy club and it is filled with lawyers, bankers, celebrities and the well-to-do. Go to a more down and out section of the cities and you see panhandlers, street fighters, addicts and the poor. See a protest going on a street corner and you see folks you'd associate with that. It is a living city. Sometimes it is fun just to walk and look at and check out all the people.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, this is embarrassing :oops:. I was playing around with the triggering of the Parcel Fox drones from some distance away, getting them to drop their packages, and it turns out one box had explosives in it :shock:. That was bad enough, since it killed two and injured one, but the injured person was one of my operatives that just happened to be passing by :?

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

One of my favourite things in Legion is listening to The Bug on the car radio while tooling around London. Imagine my delight upon discovering that Andy and Alice are real life comedians and podcasters Andy Zaltzman and Alice Fraser, and The Bug is based on the podcast The Bugle, created by Zaltzman and John Oliver.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There was a patch released for all platforms today, here are the patch notes for PC. Lots of bug fixes. Some folks are complaining about crashes at the initial menu that weren't there before, but I played for a couple of hours with no problems.

And, just on a personal note, what a bunch of whingers some people are. One guy complained that before the patch he didn't have any problems, but now he's had one after the patch, so he's uninstalling and done with the game :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apparently in the dystopian future London, things are so bleak that the tabloids don't even have the energy to come up with actually names for their newspapers.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I was wondering if there had been a patch that I didn't notice. When you pick up a recording now, it plays in the background while you carry on instead of popping up the data menu and pausing the game. Nice quality-of-life improvement right off the bat.

I did have my first crash while playing today, so it's possible that stability has suffered for some people. On the plus side, it crashed just before the last phase of a recruiting mission after a long session and when I restarted I didn't lose any progression.

As of today, I've got 42 hours playing time, I have 44 active operators (with an additional 3 fatalities and 1 retirement -- one operative got the boot for continually embezzling funds to go on shopping sprees), and I've fully upgraded all techs. With only 25% story progression, I should probably get to work on the main story missions instead of bumbling about wreaking random havoc.

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:14 pm Apparently in the dystopian future London, things are so bleak that the tabloids don't even have the energy to come up with actually names for their newspapers.
Reminds me of the beer that used to show up on sitcoms like All in the Family.

Conform or be cast out!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reminds me of the beer that used to show up on sitcoms like All in the Family.
All part of the Tommy Westphall shared delusion.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:43 pm One of my favourite things in Legion is listening to The Bug on the car radio while tooling around London. Imagine my delight upon discovering that Andy and Alice are real life comedians and podcasters Andy Zaltzman and Alice Fraser, and The Bug is based on the podcast The Bugle, created by Zaltzman and John Oliver.
And sometimes using real world personalities backfires: Watch Dogs Legion is booting a journalist off its fictional radio
For the fictional futuristic radio in Watch Dogs Legion, Ubisoft used some actual journalists in the UK to provide voice talent. Seemed like a neat idea until Ubisoft (and I) learned that one of the hosts whose voice appears in game has published some pretty ugly opinions about transgender people. That’s decidedly not neat, so Ubisoft say they’re replacing the two radio episodes that Helen Lewis appears in.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I got my beekeeper for liberating a borough, then lost her the first time I used her for a mission :roll:. I swear I should just recruit Albion, Clan Kelley and construction workers, they are useful everywhere. I think I've lost a half dozen operatives, is there somewhere I can look up this stat?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, this sucks. I was playing the second to the last Albion mission, which is the chapter before the last chapter, and I was stuck. During the mission before this one I had lost two operatives before finally completing with the third one. Then I moved to this mission...
Spoiler:
#Justice4Claire, Search for the Recording Equipment
..and it really kicked my ass. I lost two more operatives, including my last Albion guy. I then switched the game to Easy and tried the mission again with a really good non-Albion shooter, and lost him :doh:. So I gave up and turned off Permadeath since I was tired of having to keep recruiting Albion agents. However, rather than spending the time to first recruit an Albion agent, I just tried it with a construction worker. I barely managed to survive the mission <sheesh>. So I'll take a break from campaign missions and do some recruitment and contracts, then go for a final push this weekend. But I'm still having fun with the game :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've finished the main campaign, 35 hours long. Also 7 hours on my first attempt before re-started with Permadeath on. Ubisoft Connect swears I've played 49 hours :roll:. I actually watched a goodly amount of the credits but after about ten minutes (speeded up!) I gave up :roll:. I did grab a screenshot of my fallen operatives:

Add two more to that list because I turned off Permadeath towards the end :?.

So I see that there is more content to be played...
Spoiler:
The Bagley Memories
...plus I still have two more boroughs to liberate and then there are the 404 contracts. However, I think I need a break :coffee:.

Overall I really enjoyed the experience. When it was announced last year that Watch Dogs 3 was going to be Watch Dogs Legion and the whole "recruit anyone" discussion started I was rather skeptical but I think that Ubisoft did get it right, the whole mechanism of recruiting new members and losing them via Permadeath was pretty clever. The WDL London is fantastic to explore and the people you meet feel much more alive with their own schedules and attributes. Unlike the WD2 map, London felt like a big city with many neighborhoods to see. The touches like automated cars and the constant stream of delivery and news drones was very immersive.

I think the story, the main campaign, was the best of the three games. All through the WDL missions I felt like it was all heading towards some ultimate goal, unlike WD2 where at times it seemed like I was just making some juvenile mischief. Some of the missions were tough, sometimes very tough, but I always felt that I just had to do more thinking on my approach and usually that helped get me through the missions. Even the boss missions didn't feel over the top, just difficult enough to be challenging without being asininely hard. Unlike most big open world games, I've actually completed the campaigns and almost all the content of these Watch Dogs games and really find them appealing.

I found the voice acting to be pretty good throughout. I did have a couple of cases where two of my characters were talking to each other with what sounded like the exact same voice actor, but that was rare, usually the voices were different and pretty much matched the character you were seeing on screen. The characters I came across did feel very unique and interesting.

I did have a few crashes early on, and at times very, very long delays exiting the game, but the recent patch seemed to fix those two problems for me. Graphically the game looked pretty good by my standards, although while driving the frame rate dropped and there was some, well, maybe not stuttering, but certainly hesitation. However, if I avoided panning the camera while driving the issues were minimum and it was certainly worse on the first WD game when you were blasting through Chicago.

So overall I can definitely recommend this game if you liked the first two in the series, or if the setting and gameplay appeal to you if you haven't.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My only complain about the game so far (and I say so far because I haven't progressed very far in the story) is that the AI is dumb as a bag of hammers. I've found it incredibly easy so far.

However, I did find a way to make it much harder. After I set a waypoint, I just hand the controller to my 8 year old, tell him to drive to it, and pray. Nine times out of 10 I find myself trying to dig myself out of a 5-alarm police chase. :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:27 am My only complain about the game so far (and I say so far because I haven't progressed very far in the story) is that the AI is dumb as a bag of hammers. I've found it incredibly easy so far.
Yes, the AI isn't clever like in the Far Cry series, they just keep coming at you. The game gets more difficult later on as not only are there more human opponents, but turrets and armed drones will keep you on your toes!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Is there an end to the 404 missions or does the game just randomly generate them as a cash grind? I've done a few with the idea of finishing the quest series but the missions are so generic I'm becoming suspicious.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Gryndyl wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:01 am Is there an end to the 404 missions or does the game just randomly generate them as a cash grind? I've done a few with the idea of finishing the quest series but the missions are so generic I'm becoming suspicious.
Hmm, I've only done a couple of the contracts so I don't know, but somehow I suspect they generate infinitely.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm pretty sure the 404 contracts are procedurally generated, and are probably intended as an end-game activity so that you can jump in the game and grab missions once the story line missions are completed.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:12 am
Max Peck wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:00 am The workaround to get the game to launch was to switch over to my admin account. Hopefully this is not working as intended and they will fix it so that the game can be played from a user account. Like every other game I own...
And the fix was to reinstall Connect. This seems to be a long-standing issue with Uplay that is still present with Connect. I had forgotten about it, but back in January I had a similar problem launching Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and the fix then was reinstalling Uplay.
That actually turned out to be a workaround, since it required a reinstall of Connect every time the computer was rebooted. The actual fix was to launch Connect, not the game, as admin. So it wasn't exactly the same issue as I had with Breakpoint after all.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There is a new State of the Game posted:
Watch Dogs: Legion has been out for a few weeks, and we want to take some time to talk to you about the current state of the game, what we have done so far and what’s coming next.

First, we would like to thank you for joining us in our near-future London! We have seen so many amazing shots of your crews, stunning fanart, and a lot of positivity on social media, the forums, reddit, and all the other places where you’re reaching out to us.

When going through your feedback it is also clear that the performance and stability of the game has been a source of frustration. We are working to make sure the experience is as smooth as can be for all platforms.

Patches So Far

In late October, we deployed a hotfix patch to address several issues that were identified the week before launch, including a crash that occurred when launching the game in different audio languages, and an overheating crash on some Xbox One X that happened during “Into the Void” mission.

This was followed-up by Title Update 2.00 in early November, that fixed several crashes on console, with additional optimization for HDR to reduce flickering for some users, closing the infinite loading screen bug that would appear on rare occasions, and much more.

On Wednesday, we deployed Update 2.10 on Xbox One, which addressed some of the recurring crashes that some players were reporting.

What You Can Expect in the Coming Month

More Crash Fixes

TU 2.10 was the first round in our work to reduce the crashes players experienced when playing the game on Xbox. We continue to work on the remaining crashes, a couple which are linked to certain hotspots in the #Justice4Claire mission, and are looking to address them in the next patch.

Save files

Cross-progression was one of our goals when developing Watch Dogs: Legion. We wanted to make sure that when players went from playing the game on current gen consoles to playing it on next gen, they wouldn’t have to restart their progression. We also wanted a cross progression experience for our players on PC and Stadia.

When we first began to receive reports from players about lost progress or corruption, we began to investigate where their save files became broken, or why they weren’t updating. Thanks to your detailed reports, and attached save files, what we’ve identified so far is that the issues predominantly affect PC, with a few rare cases on PlayStation 4 and Stadia. The game has frequent spots where it auto-saves, creating either a hard save, meaning that it takes everything available to it and updates the file, or a soft save where it queues up some light data on the player, such as your character’s current position in the world, to apply during the next hard save. If the game crashes, or a player force quits (e.g. Alt F4 on PC), a loss of progression might occur with the queued soft save data that it has yet to write. This is what we’ve identified to be the cause behind the majority of lost or corrupt save files.

An additional cause for some of these occurrences is the underlying bug on PC, where the game freezes when exiting to the main menu.

We’re aiming to have a fix out for both Save File corruption issues in the coming week. We are also looking to add a manual save button for all platforms before the end of the year.

PC GPU performance

Our priority is to stop the FPS drops so that our players have a smoother playing experience.

We brought improvements to performance in both our hotfix and TU 2.00. However, we recognize that our players with higher end graphics cards are not getting the framerates they expect, and other still experience intermittent framerate drops.

We are also adding more logging on the backend, to assist us in identifying and make optimizations for cards that might still be experiencing issues with the game. This will also give us clearer information that will help us as we look to improve performance overall, and our goal is consistent 60FPS for higher end GPUs.

Additional Fixes

While we are primarily focusing on tech stability and fixing tech issues in the coming month, PlayStation 4/5 players should also expect a fix to the “quitting to menu” crashes. In addition, we are fixing the bug that caused characters with the “Doomed” trait (may die randomly) to occasionally die immediately upon recruitment.

What’s next?

We‘re committed to ensuring the best playing experience for everyone, and all the fixes and improvements that have already been deployed are in large part thanks the detailed tickets, files, and comments that you’ve provided to our customer support. Thank you very much!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It occurs to me that I when I wrote up my impressions after completing the game, posted above, I didn't mention something that I found to be a disappointment with the game. It was too short. This was a AAA title and I didn't rush through by any means, and yet at 35 hours played I had completed all the main missions, recruited over three dozen operatives, done some of the 404 contract mission and did some of the mini-games. What was for me lacking was some side missions, missions not directly related to the main campaign but more complex and scripted than the mini-games or the recruitment missions which after a while did start to repeat.

Watch Dogs 2 had a bunch of these missions, fun things like stealing the cyber-car and painting it up and turning it loose around San Francisco. I guess that it would have been harder to introduce these into WDL since Legion has a more serious tone, but with an additional eight months of development it might have been possible to add these.

Also I miss the landmarks from the first game and/or the selfies from the second one. There should have been some system that gave information on all the landmarks in London, not even necessarily as a mini-game, just something to educate us colonials :D. Another missed opportunities.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ubisoft comes up with for post-launch content, but I'm not really too hopeful.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

News! Watch Dogs Legion delays online modes to early 2021
Watch Dogs Legion has been out for nearly a month now, so perhaps some of you have already called it a wrap on the game’s main campaign. If you were looking forward to the addition of multiplayer modes and other online London-ing in December, you’ll have a bit longer to wait than planned. Ubisoft have announced today that they’re pushing back Legion’s online modes to early 2021 while they continue to work on technical issues.

Legion released a patch not long after launch to address issues such as framerates and performance while driving, but there’s been more than that to tackle. “Since the launch of Watch Dogs: Legion, some of you continue to have technical issues preventing you from enjoying the game. The dev team is committed to fixing these issues and will not stop until everyone can experience the game as intended,” Ubisoft say in today’s update.

“We have more improvement and quality of life features in store next month, including more stability improvements and further graphics optimizations for PC to reach our goal of consistent 60FPS for higher end GPUs.”

To that end, multiplayer is getting scooted from its intended December 3rd launch until early next year. Ubisoft say this will give them time to continue focusing on singleplayer issues and to further test Legion’s Online mode prior to launch.

If you’d not kept up with it, Watch Dogs Legion multiplayer is supposed to bring multiple PvP modes, a Dark Souls-y invasion mode and a done battler called Spiderbot Arena. Ubisoft are also planning special four-player missions called Tactical Ops and other co-op for you and your pals.

Ubisoft haven’t given a new date to expect Legion’s online play aside from “early 2021”.

If you are still working through the campaign, well we’ve got a handy list of Watch Dogs Legion guides for you.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Spoiler:
Bags is dead. Long live Bags!
I'm currently at 42 hours of playtime, with at least 4 more side missions left to do, plus whatever comes along in future DLC.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:47 pm
I'm currently at 42 hours of playtime, with at least 4 more side missions left to do, plus whatever comes along in future DLC.
That's about how long it took me. For more than a six month delay in the release date I really feel that there should have been more content. Certainly more side quests and other activities. Also I think having the man carrying cargo drone kind of neutered some of the challenges. I'm afraid that the planned DLC will just be a few missions in a story arc. It's a shame since their dystopian London is such a cool place.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There was a big update yesterday, fixing a number of minor issues and perhaps some major ones for folks. And today I got invited to join the PC Online Mode Technical Test which starts tomorrow and runs through Sunday. Requires confirming agreement with an NDA but that's OK, all of you will just have to wait till I'm cleared to talk about it :ninja:. I played the online mode quite a bit in the first two games so it will be interesting to see what they are doing here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New update today along with a new expansion, Bloodlines:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I played Bloodlines a few hours this afternoon and it's kind of fun. Unlike the expansions for the first two games, this one is not set in the time frame of the base game but is set in London after the TOAN attack but before the arrival of DEDSEC. You are (of course) Aiden Pierce, called to London to perform a job where you have a run-in with Wrench from WD2. The main campaign storyline is about them and the story line and I think (but not sure) that you also play as Wrench at some point. There are also side missions where you help the rebel alliance to rescue Princess Leia... wait, wrong rebels :doh:. You are helping the rebels to thwart various bad elements. These side missions gain you money and unlock new weapons, gadgets and abilities.

The gameplay is very much WDL except you don't recruit anyone, you are playing as a loner. At least I have been so far and it doesn't seem likely that will change. But there are the usual interesting missions where you can use stealth or go in guns blazing or some combination of the two. Your new toy for this expansion is a spiderbot that crawls and can also fly, so you don't have the situation in the base game where you had to choose which agent to send based on which drone they had equipped. Aiden also is equipped with a super-disrupter that, like in the first two games, temporarily zaps everything electric within some radius for a dozen seconds or so.

I'll post an update as I go further into the expansion if there are significant changes to the gameplay.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I finished the Bloodlines Expansion this afternoon. There's not a good time recorder system, but I'm thinking I did about 12-15 hours or more on it According to the save game file stats I played just over eleven hours, doing all the missions. Seems longer. You start off with Aiden Pearce, playing what ends up being about a half-dozen main campaign missions, plus about eighteen "resistance" side missions. The side missions unlock weapons, gadgets and abilities and so are the preferred way to go to do better in the campaign. The missions were actually pretty fun, framed in the WDL style but made a bit more complex to allow for Aiden's combination crawling+flying spiderbot.

The Aiden campaign ends at a certain event, then you switch to Wrench. There are fewer missions for Wrench as he has fewer things to unlock since he has access to a number already unlocked by Aiden. Wrench has much different abilities than Aiden so it makes for a nice combination of mission structures. There are maybe a dozen Wrench missions, it's hard to tell since sometimes one mission just unfolds into another. Anyway, the Wrench main sequence ends up in a big boss battle which took me three tries to beat on Easy, but the first try was just to figure out what the heck I was doing :wink:. There is a weird and way too long dream mission sequence before the big boss battle, which you just have to tolerate as completing it is necessary to get to the big boss battle that winds up the expansion.

After the big battle and some character chatting the expansion credits roll. After them you are back in London and can switch between Wrench and Aiden freely, but weirdly there are no missions and apparently nothing to do but go around creating mayhem :?

So I'd say that the expansion is worth the time to play it if you liked the gameplay of the base game. The new features work well and add a lot of fun to the missions and as usual for WDL missions there are usually several ways to approach them.

After completing the expansion I went back and started a new game of the base WDL. This time I played on Ironman, which means Permadeath for any operatives unlucky enough to get themselves killed :shock:. I did play the first time through with Permadeath enabled, but chicked out and disabled it, which in a non-Ironman mode is allowed, but then you can't go back to Permadeath. If you start a new game in Ironman however, there is no way to disable Permadeath, which makes it really important to preserve your key operatives!

Because I'm playing on Uplay+ I get several bonus fancy custom operatives right at the start with good abilities, plus Mina Sidhu (who can mind control NPCs) who was added in a previous update. Plus because of the Bloodline expansion I also start off with access to Wrench and Aiden Pearce. So whereas normally I would be starting a new game with only three fairly plain operatives, for my new playthrough I got the plain three, plus four bonus operatives, plus Mina, Wrench and Aiden. So I already have ten operatives :D. But again, playing on Ironman means if I do something stupid and get Aiden, Mina or Wrench killed, they are gone for the game, so I'm really, really thinking about who I want to carry out a mission :D