Elden Ring

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Elden Ring

Post by hepcat »

After over 200 hours and completing the game, I'm taking a break. But man, I can't wait for expansions.
Covfefe!
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

So I finally got a better weapon after playing 160 hours with a weapon that I got after about 10 hours of play. I probably stupidly choose arcane for my main damage stat.

So anyway I was going back and trying bosses that had been beyond me and found the Deeproot Depths and beyond.

This game game is so massive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I didn’t discover that area until after about 150 hours. The game really is just immense. I can’t wait for some DLC so I can go back again.
Covfefe!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Dramatist wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:34 pm So I finally got a better weapon after playing 160 hours with a weapon that I got after about 10 hours of play. I probably stupidly choose arcane for my main damage stat.

So anyway I was going back and trying bosses that had been beyond me and found the Deeproot Depths and beyond.

This game game is so massive.

I have around 400 hours in. I am on my second full play thru but I have 100% the game, so I have played thru 3 endings (on PC you can make a save and then come back to it later). I am still finding things I missed. I found a cave in Limgrave the other day I had no idea existed and one in the Consecrated Snowfield I had missed.

The game is massive, and I hope we are gifted around the holidays with some DLC.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Brilliant!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Now that I have a PS5, I think I'm going to give Elden Ring another shot as a ranged magic class (Astrologer). From the guides I watched this morning, it seems like this would focus a bit more on efficient mana/stamina management and a bit less on quick twitch skills (which are my bane).

Doubt I'll get much further than before, but I'd like to give it another look.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:23 am Now that I have a PS5, I think I'm going to give Elden Ring another shot as a ranged magic class (Astrologer). From the guides I watched this morning, it seems like this would focus a bit more on efficient mana/stamina management and a bit less on quick twitch skills (which are my bane).

Early on, spam Glintstone Pebble from a distance. It is a good spell. You might also want to look up how/where to get a new staff ASAP. There is a very good one that you can loot, but you have to dodge around in a dangerous area to do so (use that horse). I found that there is, in the early game, less of an emphasis on the dodging and timing using an Astrologer (in comparison to a melee class). Bosses are still pretty tough, and you are going to have to work on getting some distance and timing a good cast of a spell. No matter who you are Godrick the Grafted is going to be a pain, since he is the first boss and you are working with lower tier stuff.

Later game you will need to dodge and time a lot more actively. I rely on summons to be my tank, but high magic damage can shift the aggro quick.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:31 am
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:23 am Now that I have a PS5, I think I'm going to give Elden Ring another shot as a ranged magic class (Astrologer). From the guides I watched this morning, it seems like this would focus a bit more on efficient mana/stamina management and a bit less on quick twitch skills (which are my bane).

Early on, spam Glintstone Pebble from a distance. It is a good spell. You might also want to look up how/where to get a new staff ASAP. There is a very good one that you can loot, but you have to dodge around in a dangerous area to do so (use that horse). I found that there is, in the early game, less of an emphasis on the dodging and timing using an Astrologer (in comparison to a melee class). Bosses are still pretty tough, and you are going to have to work on getting some distance and timing a good cast of a spell. No matter who you are Godrick the Grafted is going to be a pain, since he is the first boss and you are working with lower tier stuff.

Later game you will need to dodge and time a lot more actively. I rely on summons to be my tank, but high magic damage can shift the aggro quick.
I played about 6 hours over the weekend and it's certainly a different experience as a caster. I liked it much better, and felt like I had much more survivability in the early game. Beat the first couple small bosses (the weird cat thing and the Beastman boss) in only a few tries, where they both took me 20-30 tries on a melee character. I did improve my original staff with the Smithing Stones, but haven't found any other Astrologer weapons yet. What's the name of the staff you can loot through the dangerous area? I'll need to look into that.

I still don't find myself caring even the slightest bit about the world or anything in it, but at least I'm not dying every 30 seconds. So that's a plus, I guess. :)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The Meteorite Staff.

You can also go for the Demi-Human Queen Staff, but that requires some lightish combat and a mini-boss.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:07 pm I still don't find myself caring even the slightest bit about the world or anything in it, but at least I'm not dying every 30 seconds. So that's a plus, I guess. :)
That doesnt change at any point in the game, so dont worry about that aspect and just concentrate on not dying.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had a major gaming breakthrough today, when I actually defeated Margit the Fell Omen.

I know you're all thinking "well of course you did...that's the first boss". But understand that I have never been able to defeat even the first boss in any previous Souls-like game (heck, in most of them, I can't even get to the first boss). So defeating this one with a few actual well-timed dodges instead of just randomly flailing about was a big step forward for me. Was a pretty cool feeling, and while there's a very slim chance that I'll actually play through the whole game, I can at least start to understand why people enjoy them.

EDIT: So...Stormveil Castle.

While I was really enjoying open-world Elden Ring, I absolutely despise everything about this. Hidden enemies jumping out from corners before I can react, one small misstep or dodge forcing you to fall to your death, uncertainty about where the hell I'm supposed to be going, having to replay the same segments over and over (and over and over and over) until I memorize the exact sequence of enemies and obstacles, etc. This is everything I dislike about Souls game.

As much as I've liked the game up until now and was feeling good about my progress, I'm not sure I'll end up making it past this segment tbh.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MissMikkaa just beat Malenia in a level 1 run, using a DDR pad as a controller. We are all pathetic.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RamshackleClear ... TKC4mVnUKi
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:06 pm MissMikkaa just beat Malenia in a level 1 run, using a DDR pad as a controller. We are all pathetic.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RamshackleClear ... TKC4mVnUKi
I have seen part of that. I have seen her play normally and she is very good. A video I saw of using the pad had a commenter who was convinced she was faking it. I have no idea other than she does show her foot work. But I don’t see how she gets all that character action from that foot work. But others have done it so why can’t she.

I am doing a third play through as a INT/dec character. I have advanced pretty well but my guy is pretty mushy. Sorcery works great on some enemies, not so great on others. So I also have a +15 bleed falchion.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:12 pm I had a major gaming breakthrough today, when I actually defeated Margit the Fell Omen.

I know you're all thinking "well of course you did...that's the first boss". But understand that I have never been able to defeat even the first boss in any previous Souls-like game (heck, in most of them, I can't even get to the first boss). So defeating this one with a few actual well-timed dodges instead of just randomly flailing about was a big step forward for me. Was a pretty cool feeling, and while there's a very slim chance that I'll actually play through the whole game, I can at least start to understand why people enjoy them.

While I was really enjoying open-world Elden Ring, I absolutely despise everything about this. Hidden enemies jumping out from corners before I can react, one small misstep or dodge forcing you to fall to your death, uncertainty about where the hell I'm supposed to be going, having to replay the same segments over and over (and over and over and over) until I memorize the exact sequence of enemies and obstacles, etc. This is everything I dislike about Souls game.

As much as I've liked the game up until now and was feeling good about my progress, I'm not sure I'll end up making it past this segment tbh.
Once you learn an area you can usually run right past the enemies. No need to fight them over and over. They will only aggro for a short distance, most that is.
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Wooo, I finished a souls game. Overall I enjoyed it and got the "good" ending but I absolutely hated that final boss. The first phase was a cake walk for my character but the space whale was impossible. I don't know if they updated its aggro or what but it didn't behave at all like any of the videos I saw of it on Youtube. No matter what I would do it would track me with its first attack and just obliterate my health. I ended up just grinding 8 levels just to be able to beat it. Not a satisfying final fight at all.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I love the look and atmosphere of this game. I'm dying to buy it now that it is on sale. But I know I'll get get frustrated with a boss fight in the first hour or two and will be pulling out my remaining hair and crying like a baby when I'm hopelessly stuck. Is this game as tough to get through as it's reputation says it is or does liberal use of magic make the game easy enough that someone with no twitch skills whatsoever can get through it?
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I played for 200 hours and died countless times. It’s very hard but you can explore a lot of the area while skipping bosses so there is usually plenty of stuff to do and get more powerful before the boss chokeholds.

I’m definitely not a great twitch gamer and would get very frustrated at times but I enjoyed the game enough to play a long time.

I never beat the final boss though. That fight just sucked.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm on the verge of bouncing back to this, as I do want to finish it. Logged in and did a couple of fights (no bosses, I think - tho I did fight one Giant Octopus-thing on a rooftop above a loooooong fall somewhere near a dungeon/boss). It took a bit to get the hang of switching weapons and spells and flasks again tho.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dramatist wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:38 pm
I never beat the final boss though. That fight just sucked.
I called in help from another player and let them do the heavy lifting while I enjoyed a cheese platter in the background.

I must have tried that final boss battle 5 times before I did this. I'd always get them down to about the last third of their health when they'd suddenly one shot me from somewhere off screen. Turns out I was just clumsy and wasn't anticipating the enemy movement. I learned that while enjoying my cheese platter and watching someone else take him out.

That's what I love about the series. If it gets too much, just call in help.

I really wish they'd release an expansion. I'm jonesing for more.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:31 amI really wish they'd release an expansion. I'm jonesing for more.
Soon-ish? Maybe-ish?

https://gamerant.com/elden-ring-dlc-rel ... e-erdtree/
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope they take into account that many of us kicked off a New Game after finishing the base game, only to never finish another full run, and I don't have to play through another 200 hours to get to the new content.
Covfefe!
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

After 5 minutes of watching an instructional video I realized this game was not for me. I love the look, atmosphere, and the minimalist storyline but it's very much a twitch game with complex weapon and skill rules. Considering I have no twitch skills whatsoever I can already see this game frustrating me to no end. I used to get stuck all the time in games like GTA Vice City or American McGee's Alice (which sort of reminds me of this game) where I simply could progress no further because of my inability to get through some combat or puzzle sequence until I wised up and stopped buying games like that.

Still, I really like the look and feel of this game. Wish they had a "story mode" for folks like myself who just want to experience the world without the frustration of having to fight battles over and over and over again.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If it makes any difference, I'm also not a twitch gamer. I can't play the battlefield games for the life of me. But the Souls games I love because I can level up until I don't really need to be fast on the draw. Eventually you can even overpower yourself and take out bosses that were one shotting you previously within just a few minutes. But that does require grinding, which is also not everyone's cup of tea. I will say that grinding in Elden Ring isn't that though as you have SO much you can do otherwise while waiting to level up enough for a boss that it doesn't really feel like grinding that often.

Does any of that make sense?
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apollo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:12 pm Still, I really like the look and feel of this game. Wish they had a "story mode" for folks like myself who just want to experience the world without the frustration of having to fight battles over and over and over again.
To add a story mode I think they'd feel obligated to add an intelligible story. People will tell you the story is there if you look for it. They are liars.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:40 pm
Apollo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:12 pm Still, I really like the look and feel of this game. Wish they had a "story mode" for folks like myself who just want to experience the world without the frustration of having to fight battles over and over and over again.
To add a story mode I think they'd feel obligated to add an intelligible story. People will tell you the story is there if you look for it. They are liars.
Yeah, I actually consider that a plus because it's a world and setting that suggests a storyline, but doesn't actually have one so I can make my own story as I go, something I actually prefer in most games. But, yeah, maybe "easy mode" is what the game needs instead of story mode.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:35 pm If it makes any difference, I'm also not a twitch gamer. I can't play the battlefield games for the life of me. But the Souls games I love because I can level up until I don't really need to be fast on the draw. Eventually you can even overpower yourself and take out bosses that were one shotting you previously within just a few minutes. But that does require grinding, which is also not everyone's cup of tea. I will say that grinding in Elden Ring isn't that though as you have SO much you can do otherwise while waiting to level up enough for a boss that it doesn't really feel like grinding that often.

Other folks have told me this as well. I'm done with Starfield for now but I want to save BG3 for the Christmas holidays, so I need something to fill the gap and since it's October this looks like a good game to play during the month of Halloween. Maybe I'll give it a try after all. Need to make up my mind soon since the sale is over tomorrow. :doh:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apollo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:56 pm this looks like a good game to play during the month of Halloween.

Unless you're playing 16 hours a day, you'll be playing well after Halloween, my friend.

...well, unless you're coopasonic. Then you'll be done by Friday.
Covfefe!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I think my first playthrough was 130 hours. I can't believe there isn't any DLC. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe I ended at around 200 hours. Although I did go back and complete some side stuff before that after reading up on where the stuff I missed was (when possible).
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:12 pm I had a major gaming breakthrough today, when I actually defeated Margit the Fell Omen.

It took me forever to beat him too, and then Stormgate was a PITA, at least until I was able to get to the top and then roll back down from behind them all. Falling and dying to birds and the damn knight in the darkened room are all recurring nightmares of that time!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

After my 800+ hours of playing time to beat the game, I'm about ready for dive back in for some more content
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

I do honestly consider it the best game of 2022 still though. And I will happily return for more when it comes.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:26 pm I believe I ended at around 200 hours. Although I did go back and complete some side stuff before that after reading up on where the stuff I missed was (when possible).
Hey now I put 148 hours in, so not that different... except I finished it with two different characters in that time and I think I did a good chunk of NG+ to finish off the achievements.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:35 pm If it makes any difference, I'm also not a twitch gamer. I can't play the battlefield games for the life of me. But the Souls games I love because I can level up until I don't really need to be fast on the draw. Eventually you can even overpower yourself and take out bosses that were one shotting you previously within just a few minutes. But that does require grinding, which is also not everyone's cup of tea. I will say that grinding in Elden Ring isn't that though as you have SO much you can do otherwise while waiting to level up enough for a boss that it doesn't really feel like grinding that often.

Alright, you talked me into it. I bought Elden Ring and will fire it up for the first time tonight. And to be clear, if I get stuck and end up hating the game, it's all your fault. :mrgreen:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apollo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:29 pm

Alright, you talked me into it. I bought Elden Ring and will fire it up for the first time tonight. And to be clear, if I get stuck and end up hating the game, it's all your fault. :mrgreen:
Jokes on you. This isn't really Hepcat. I stole his account years ago. Good luck in guessing who I am though! I covered all my tracks so you're going to find it PRETTY hard to discover I'm really Stimpy.

...shit
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:50 pm
Apollo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:29 pm

Jokes on you. This isn't really Hepcat. I stole his account years ago. Good luck in guessing who I am though! I covered all my tracks so you're going to find it PRETTY hard to discover I'm really Stimpy.

...shit

Please dont EVER joke about that.......there's no way I could ever afford your latex bill.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:40 pm To add a story mode I think they'd feel obligated to add an intelligible story. People will tell you the story is there if you look for it. They are liars.

I have not played Elden Ring more than the tutorial, but as with other FromSoft games, I think there is more lore than story. And the lore is hidden in the game so you have to look for it.

I think the idea is pretty cool even if I haven't decided if I like it or not. Typically I'd just go watch a video or read a forum post if I wanted to know what is going on in a FromSoft game. :lol:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will admit the story is...convoluted. I know Martin did the world building, and the Souls games like to hide the story in the item, location and character lore you come across as you play, but it seems to follow the anime/jrpg conceit of having a really bizarre story that makes zero sense. To me, at least.
Covfefe!