Elden Ring

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finally got my INT high enough to use Comet Azur. Have only tested it out on a few normal enemies, but I imagine this could shred some bosses. Of course, it burns through my FP in like 5 seconds.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:50 am Finally got my INT high enough to use Comet Azur. Have only tested it out on a few normal enemies, but I imagine this could shred some bosses. Of course, it burns through my FP in like 5 seconds.
That's why you combine it with the mixed physik that eliminates FP consumption for a few seconds.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I gotta find that.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I got past the Fire Giant today. Damn that felt good.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ugh. Mogh. That sucked. I was screaming at it. 4 times I had the health bar looking like zero when I died. After about 4 hours and taking a break I finally beat him. I get why people cheese it since Mogh is 100% pure cheese. His phase 2 is crazy for a melee player. By the end, I could get through Phase 1 without taking much damage. Phase 2 it was nearly impossible to consistently get in a blow when his AOE is knocking me around for constant damage. When I finally killed him it was because I managed to crit him multiple times and actually killed him seconds into Phase 2.

IMO at this stage it is the number 2 worst fight in the game after the Valiant Gargoyles compared to the expected power level.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Comet azur just *shreds* bosses. Killer two Elden Tree bosses within a minute and a few other minor bosses easily. I can just let my mimic baby pull aggro, sit back, and blast them. I’m sure there will be some bosses where it won’t work quite as well, but so far it’s been like easy mode.
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Comet azur just *shreds* bosses. Killer two Elden Tree bosses within a minute and a few other minor bosses easily. I can just let my mimic baby pull aggro, sit back, and blast them. I’m sure there will be some bosses where it won’t work quite as well, but so far it’s been like easy mode.
When used with the physique mix-ins, it is pretty great. I killed Mogh fast. The Fire Giant was harder, as distance is difficult to gauge. It tends to be better for large boxes that can be stun locked. Smaller and fast bosses will still be an issue.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:50 am Finally got my INT high enough to use Comet Azur. Have only tested it out on a few normal enemies, but I imagine this could shred some bosses. Of course, it burns through my FP in like 5 seconds.
What INT is required for that? My son got the game for PS4 and I watched him for a couple hours. I think I can play it but will be reading a walkthrough the whole way.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think it requires 60 INT. Definitely worth it.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am up to level 25 with my Vagabond who is going shield and sword based on a video I watched. I have a Cross-Naginata+3 spear and a Great Turtle Shell shield, and am pretty much untouchable by regular mobs. I farmed the crap out of the Gatefront guards and bring in my son for boss battles. Good times.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

At 120+ hours and around lvl 170 I finally beat the last boss. I know for sure I took down all of the demigod bosses, but I may have missed an underground zone. BUT it's about as complete a play through as I want to make as I'm ready to move on to other games. I really enjoyed the game though and if it's not my game of the year then I'll be surprised.

Also, Malenia can suck it. It took me around 4 hours and 3 different respecs to finally beat her. Really any fight with 2 phases, 2 health meters and the requirement to start from scratch upon failure can suck it.
FTE
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Scraper wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:30 am Also, Malenia can suck it. It took me around 4 hours and 3 different respecs to finally beat her. Really any fight with 2 phases, 2 health meters and the requirement to start from scratch upon failure can suck it.
I bashed my head against her for two hours last night. I can easily kite Phase 1 with Ranni's Dark Moon and Rock Sling, but the process is so tedious and boring. Then, the phase 2 I can get her first Scarlet Aeronia move dodged and hit with Unlimited FP Comet Azur and take her to about half life. After that, however, I get killed in one or so hits. Given the time to get to Phase 2, I can't even play long enough to practice dodging her attacks.

I may end up skipping her. She would be the only Demigod that I don't take down. But she also is FAR more frustrating (and not in a fun way, like Rykard) than any of the previous bosses.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Scraper wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:30 am Also, Malenia can suck it. It took me around 4 hours and 3 different respecs to finally beat her. Really any fight with 2 phases, 2 health meters and the requirement to start from scratch upon failure can suck it.
I agree which is also why I used the "cheat" of Phase 1 of the
Spoiler:
final fight
once I was able to reliably kill it so I could focus on P2. The cheat being
Spoiler:
that you can run up to the P1 boss quickly and he won't attack you at all if you don't target him. I killed him with AOE just so I could quickly move to P2.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

A fully upgraded Rivers of Blood sword combined with 50 Arcane took her down for me. She's really weak to bleed damage. That sword with 50 arcane takes down almost everything in the game. Corpse Piler is OP.
FTE
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At the other end of the spectrum, I got my Eclipse Crest Greatshield after a hell run with no map to the extreme north to get to the spawn. It takes strength 32 though, and I currently only have 23.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

stimpy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:43 pm Are any of you guys aware of the shooting an arrow at a bird cheese?
it is the cheesiest cheese of all cheeses and let's you easily walk away with 25000 or so runes in no time.
And you can do it over and over.
I almost.....ALMOST feel bad using it........but not really......
What??? I am not familiar.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Does anyone know what it means when golden filaments rise from your character? At first I thought it meant you had enough runes to level but that's not it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I *think* it means you have some constant healing going. At least, I get that animation when I use my physick flask that regenerates health.
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:49 am I *think* it means you have some constant healing going. At least, I get that animation when I use my physick flask that regenerates health.
Yeah I think you're right. There's also a medallion that has constant healing.
FTE
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:06 pm Does anyone know what it means when golden filaments rise from your character? At first I thought it meant you had enough runes to level but that's not it.
If you did the rune gathering password buff I listed earlier, you will glow gold while the buff is active. It means some temporary/timed buff is active. You can see it by the symbols under your health bars. The rune buff is a chicken foot with an up arrow. The buffs can be really confusing. Someone on reddit put a list together you can google.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:49 am I *think* it means you have some constant healing going. At least, I get that animation when I use my physick flask that regenerates health.
How do you get a physick flask? Do they refill when you rest?

Also, I found the "Paineel"* of Elden Ring:
Spoiler:
When you kill the Necro in the boat you get a teleport to a place where the mobs give 1k exp per kill.
*Paineel is a zone in EQ where killing the skeleton guards is so sweet you never want to leave.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Physick flash is in a ruined church in the mistwood and it does refill on rest.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If I remember correctly, you get the physick flask at some church. I believe one of the merchants (maybe the first one you find near the anvil?) has a note that details where to find it. And yes, it only refills after resting.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:06 pm Does anyone know what it means when golden filaments rise from your character? At first I thought it meant you had enough runes to level but that's not it.
I think it means you are getting a buff from somewhere. Did you get a message about someone in a group you may have listed?

What @jag said up thread.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I got a physick flask at the church, which is essentially just an additional HP flask at this point. Plus I now have maps for the known areas. I have yet to go to the underground. My son did and got to the far end, but no key to go up.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Eel Snave wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:30 pm
stimpy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:43 pm Are any of you guys aware of the shooting an arrow at a bird cheese?
it is the cheesiest cheese of all cheeses and let's you easily walk away with 25000 or so runes in no time.
And you can do it over and over.
I almost.....ALMOST feel bad using it........but not really......
What??? I am not familiar.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My recent go-to farming spot has been the Across the Roots grace site. There are three dudes that sit right near the grace and don't attack. Can kill each with two shots of my spell, getting 10500 runes in about a minute. But I only do this when I'm near the next level.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At level 68 I noticed you could summon wolves near the Tree Sentinel, so I got a nice backstab in on him and the wolves distracted him just enough for me to take him out.

Then I got to the dragon that drops Moonveil. I had to bring my son in to beat him, which he finally did after about 50 tries.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

All Rings Considered
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have learned a few tricks. Started a wretch and got Radgon's Soreseal at level 3!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes! I beat fricking Margit on the first try. Admittedly I was level 85 and had help from Rogier, but for me that was a major accomplishment.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

So I finally “finished” (this is obviously relative since I used the Easy Mode mod, ended around lvl 200 or something like that) the main storyline to the end credits. It offered me the new game mode but I deferred. Grabbed a new weapon and killed a couple of baddies that had slaughtered me before, which was pretty gratifying. Surprisingly the one dude (Black Blade Kindred) was still pretty tough, I thought it was going to be pretty easy relative to the end bosses.

This was one of the most rewarding, if not THE best, open/large world RPGs I’ve ever played. In fact it may be one of the few I’ve ever reached the story conclusion to. I think I only got to the endpoint of one of the Elder Scroll games. I don’t know if Dragon Age counts, but that was one of the other few I finished. In this case it wasn’t so much a story narrative that kept me interested, but more the sense of wanting to see more of the rich lore and characters (bosses) and incredible environments. I haven’t played any of the “real” Souls games, so I don’t know how the bosses compare, but I found the designs here to be the most creative and artistically bizarre and interesting things I’ve had to fight perhaps ever. I also wonder how much George Martin had to do with the over-arching lore, which I also found to be pretty compelling, though perhaps a bit sparse. Then again, it’s nice to have it kind of unfold via discovery as opposed to being forcefed to you through walls of text. Anyway, all in all I’m really happy I made the effort to pursue the game given my obvious difficulty with games of this type.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Congrats, you were using an easy mod so you never played online?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What are those horizontal bars when you come in of poison, bleeding, rot, etc. that fade out? Are those buffs, debuffs or nothing?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:52 am What are those horizontal bars when you come in of poison, bleeding, rot, etc. that fade out? Are those buffs, debuffs or nothing?
Those show the buildup of the disease.
They slowly dissipate and drain your health.
If the bar reaches full, you are inflicted with the ailment and can die.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:29 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:23 pm I wouldn't hold your breath. Bloodborne still has performance issues and that came out like 900 years ago. They suck at optimizing their games and tend to never fix it.
well, that sucks. They did mentioned they are aware of it and working on a fix. This is my first foray and so far while the game is cool when it's smooth, I probably won't go back if they don't fix it. Which is too bad. Could have had a customer
hurray, the game is finally playable. Downloaded the latest patch only to get a white screen crash. Ended up reinstalling the game and now it's buttery smooth.

Now to try to understand what the hell i'm doing.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

naednek wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:38 am Now to try to understand what the hell i'm doing.
When you figure it out, please let me know.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hah! Finally beat Margit! Image

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And it got me thinking. I think the last sales number I saw was around 12 million copies.

Figure that maybe 10 million played enough to get to Margit.

Figure that it takes maybe 10-20 tries to beat him.

That's a serious Dormammu vs. Doctor Strange life. 100 million plus fights against constantly resurrecting Tarnished over about a month and a half!

Margit takes his job seriously! (and is stuck in one awful time loop...)

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have now beaten Margit 3 times: with my shield and spear poker (main) a Moonveil wielding caster, and an assassin. Although the third one convinced me I'm not capable of playing an assassin. I had the Sword of Night and Flame that deals magic and fire damage, and spent hours raising my stats to use it, but since they nerfed it I had to use daggers on Margit. My main is level 106 and I am roaming the earth in search of worthy adversaries before taking on Godfrey.

I defeated the moon queen so now I can do respecs. Will probably wait until I get an uber item and spec into it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter