Elden Ring

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Eel Snave

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Eel Snave »

I restarted my character. I was playing a melee guy and just kept getting my ass handed to me. I started over as a mage just to see if it's good and HOLY CRAP. I'm flying through sections that I struggled mightily with at a lower level. I must have done something horribly wrong with my first character.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I smoked Godfrey, only needing one potion. My shield works great against straight melee opponents. But Morgott was another story, had to bring my son in to finish him. I did find out though:
Spoiler:
The Margit Shackle also works on Morgott. Not logical but I'll take it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 am I smoked Godfrey, only needing one potion. My shield works great against straight melee opponents. But Morgott was another story, had to bring my son in to finish him. I did find out though:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It also works in alot of dungeons to reveal secret rooms and turn off flame-breathing pillars and such
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait, what? i did not know that. I have one of those things in my inventory and wasn't sure what to do with it. now that i know it's not a consumable and that it has other uses, I'm going to have to whip it out next time I play.

Yesterday I did a marathon session and ended up finding even MORE places new to me in areas I thought I'd fully explored already. This game is absolutely immense. Right now I'm faced with four boss fights that I can't seem to get past. Even with my recently discovered Mimic Tear Ashes. Two are dragons that can two shot me the moment I get near them. I need to level up a bit more so I'm going to do some farming.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:25 am Two are dragons that can two shot me the moment I get near them. I need to level up a bit more so I'm going to do some farming.
Leveling up doesn't overly help with certain Dragons. Their breath attack is almost always lethal, if hit by the full extent. What does help is finding the right spell combination or terrain to help block their attacks.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:39 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 am I smoked Godfrey, only needing one potion. My shield works great against straight melee opponents. But Morgott was another story, had to bring my son in to finish him. I did find out though:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It also works in alot of dungeons to reveal secret rooms and turn off flame-breathing pillars and such
How do you
Spoiler:
reveal secret areas? Once at beginning or must you use it constantly?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:22 am
stimpy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:39 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
How do you
Spoiler:
reveal secret areas? Once at beginning or must you use it constantly?
Spoiler:
Use it in each room. Bit of a pain, but really only takes a second
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sounds like that might have been an unintended use for that tool. I wonder if it will get nerfed out of the game in the future.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:43 am Sounds like that might have been an unintended use for that tool. I wonder if it will get nerfed out of the game in the future.
Most likely, but I'd imagine it's pretty low on the list. I would think they'd want to nerf some of the cheese for boss kills first.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I got Malenia today, with help from a couple summons. I tried a few times solo, with my mimic, but when that didn’t do it I went to the summons. Mimic and I have pretty much destroyed the other bosses lately, except for Maliketh. I summoned a real player for that one.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finally beat Starscourge Radahn (or my son did with my character - I suck at dodging). I am wearing his armor and am just 0.6 below overloaded. This was essential to me as I really wanted that mimic summon. I like how the AI was smart enough to tank or cast as needed. But the graphic for the mimic summon is pathetic. My son asked me why I was summoning a slug.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well crap. One thing I've always found both annoying and interesting in equal measures is the effects your actions have on the game world. For example:
Spoiler:
Last night I took out the giant snake/lord of blasphemy boss under Volcano Manor....only to find it essentially emptied the entire goddamn place out of NPCs. So now I can't do anything with those characters anymore. I really wish I'd known that beforehand, but I didn't think to look it up online as I thought nothing would happen. Looking back, there were some clues, but I didn't pay enough attention. :(
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Has everyone else gotten the golden scarab? Plus 20% runes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:53 am Has everyone else gotten the golden scarab? Plus 20% runes.
I did, but after finding a couple cheese spots, I dont equip it anymore.
Runes have become the least of my worries.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I only equipped the scarab when I was farming runes specifically, which I never, ever did on my second character. Still not sure how that worked out. Mage just didn't need the levels the strength build did.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I did my first respec at level 140. Took my INT up to 65 (plus a +5 talisman) so I could use the moon spell. It's not all that, but now my mimic uses it, which is nice.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And damn, Stormveil Castle gets harder after Margit.
Spoiler:
Flaming, sniping ballistae? In multiple waves, with a boss nearby to jump in? Darkened cramped spaces with armored knights?
Ack.

Gone adventuring before returning.

Did finally kill that dang Tree Sentinel at the beginning tho - REVENGE!!! Why does he get to use a shield on horseback and I can't?

And yeah, I'm only at level 46 or so now. Mostly adventuring through the world still, as well as going back and getting revenge kills periodically.

I haven't had the guts to try a dragon yet, but maybe soon, if only to see what the fights are like
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When you come back after levelling up on other baddies, it feels so good to kick their ass though.

I finally got my pound of flesh from a few big boys yesterday after a marathon session of levelling up. Tonight I'm going after a death rite bird boss who gave me the stink eye last week. This time he's going down.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am up to level 149 and am going back to finish every dungeon on the map, though I did hit a wall in the frozen tundra. Have done a few dragons as well. I also experimented with every weapon I can equip. Some are fun but none as good as my +18 ice spear. I also have a +19 Fingerprint Stone Shield which is surprisingly easy to get (after a big boss). I generally keep the No Skill ashes on my shield so I can do an ice blast for over 1k damage. I love it when my mimic tanks for me.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:40 pm I am up to level 149 and am going back to finish every dungeon on the map, though I did hit a wall in the frozen tundra. Have done a few dragons as well. I also experimented with every weapon I can equip. Some are fun but none as good as my +18 ice spear. I also have a +19 Fingerprint Stone Shield which is surprisingly easy to get (after a big boss). I generally keep the No Skill ashes on my shield so I can do an ice blast for over 1k damage. I love it when my mimic tanks for me.
Just curious how you keep track of which dungeons you've finished and which you havent.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:09 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:40 pm I am up to level 149 and am going back to finish every dungeon on the map, though I did hit a wall in the frozen tundra. Have done a few dragons as well. I also experimented with every weapon I can equip. Some are fun but none as good as my +18 ice spear. I also have a +19 Fingerprint Stone Shield which is surprisingly easy to get (after a big boss). I generally keep the No Skill ashes on my shield so I can do an ice blast for over 1k damage. I love it when my mimic tanks for me.
Just curious how you keep track of which dungeons you've finished and which you havent.
I looked on a guide map to make sure I hadn't missed any and went systematically from south to north. Basically if I got to the grace I finished it. Some of them I had already done which I could tell when I got to the boss door. There was one exception where I could not beat the boss, but that one stuck in my mind and I went back when I was stronger.

You could also use the map marking system, but I didn't bother.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Got a couple more levels in last night adventuring in the Caelid Swamps (after getting sent there by a trapped chest!).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:33 am And damn, Stormveil Castle gets harder after Margit.
Spoiler:
Flaming, sniping ballistae? In multiple waves, with a boss nearby to jump in? Darkened cramped spaces with armored knights?
Ack.

Did finally kill that dang Tree Sentinel at the beginning tho - REVENGE!!! Why does he get to use a shield on horseback and I can't?

And yeah, I'm only at level 46 or so now. Mostly adventuring through the world still, as well as going back and getting revenge kills periodically.

I haven't had the guts to try a dragon yet, but maybe soon, if only to see what the fights are like
You are doing it wrong!
Spoiler:
There are ways to get every single ballista, flame gun without being in their firing circle. Taking the right paths puts you above them. You can then longbow them with the talisman for extra range and take everything out without risk. Souls games is about the cheese, because the cheese is part of git gud.
words
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finally got to the bird off a cliff spot. When I first looked it up it was some convoluted quest that includes invading other people's games, so I said screw that. But I found it almost by accident:'
Spoiler:
In the Consecrated Snowfields you beat an NPC invader which opens a portal that takes you right there.
It hasn't been nerfed, but it is actually more efficient to kill the sleeping guys up top, at 2,500 a pop. They are bunched together and most of them don't aggro.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Did they nerf Comet Azur? Only doing 495 damage with Azur's Glintstone Crown, Sorcery scaling of 306 and 65 int. I am underwhelmed.

Edit: I got a few 1300 damages, but it seems to fluctuate wildly.

Second edit: I wasn't holding down R1. S'all good man.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Montag wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:33 am And damn, Stormveil Castle gets harder after Margit.
Spoiler:
Ack.

You are doing it wrong!
Spoiler:
There are ways to get every single ballista, flame gun without being in their firing circle. Taking the right paths puts you above them. You can then longbow them with the talisman for extra range and take everything out without risk. Souls games is about the cheese, because the cheese is part of git gud.
Best a Dragon in my first attempt last night (once I finally was able to connect due to the Xbox issues).

It did take 2 tries - forgot to fireproof myself the first time. Plus 60 fletched blood arrows over both fights (firing from horseback isn't always accurate!) and a good Spirit tank.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Sun May 08, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

PS I was able to rump my way up to get past some of the flaming ballistae, but overall, it felt like a bit I needed to come back to.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got in a few hours this weekend in between the times Xbox Live was down. Damn Alecto is kicking my ass. Gonna nail that sucka this week!
Covfefe!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:20 pm PS I was able to rump my way up to get past some of the flaming ballistae, but overall, it felt like a bit I needed to come back to.
This is the front entrance to Stormveil? Try approaching from the left. There are still lots of soldiers but the ballista won’t bother you. Just take your time, if you aggro too many just back up and pick them off. Go to the castle wall and follow it to the right.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have now finished my first run thru, finished two others (from saves made on pc) and have started NG+. I need one weapon in Leyndell to 100% the game.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:08 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:20 pm PS I was able to rump my way up to get past some of the flaming ballistae, but overall, it felt like a bit I needed to come back to.
This is the front entrance to Stormveil? Try approaching from the left. There are still lots of soldiers but the ballista won’t bother you. Just take your time, if you aggro too many just back up and pick them off. Go to the castle wall and follow it to the right.
Nah - this is *after* Margit (if you are talking about the ballistae and guards in the entrance to Margit's boss battle), if/when you get the gatekeeper to open the gate - there are two uphill slogs with border walls and no cover with multiple ballistae covering the approach. A fast zig/zag can get you up without taking a huge blow, but at least one also has a boss battle you can easily activate if you jump/run the wrong way at the top. I did get through that (and the boss battle) by healing my spirit, but when I charged the second one, I ran for a doorway and got surrounded by armored knights who unhorsed and pummeled me. I might be where I can make another run at it from onve of the graces there.

Got up to about lvl 51 over the weekend, FWIW.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Gah, Alecto keeps destroying me. A pox on her!
Last edited by hepcat on Tue May 10, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:22 pm
Nah - this is *after* Margit (if you are talking about the ballistae and guards in the entrance to Margit's boss battle), if/when you get the gatekeeper to open the gate - there are two uphill slogs with border walls and no cover with multiple ballistae covering the approach. A fast zig/zag can get you up without taking a huge blow, but at least one also has a boss battle you can easily activate if you jump/run the wrong way at the top. I did get through that (and the boss battle) by healing my spirit, but when I charged the second one, I ran for a doorway and got surrounded by armored knights who unhorsed and pummeled me. I might be where I can make another run at it from onve of the graces there.

Oh, I know where you are then. The other approach is longer but the enemies are more spread out. It will lead to another door which opens to the same area the main entrance does but you have to avoid or kill a Scion enemy. The main entrance is very strongly guarded. There is a Grace in a building to the right about half way up. The castle itself is full of goodies, and enemies and is well worth exploring.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I just reached level 200. What amazes me is how lowly guards can still take you out if you're not careful. I am used to being godlike after that much effort. Still haven't beaten the fire giant. What's discouraging is when you get a boss on a nub but do worse in each subsequent attempt.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:25 pm I just reached level 200. What amazes me is how lowly guards can still take you out if you're not careful. I am used to being godlike after that much effort. Still haven't beaten the fire giant. What's discouraging is when you get a boss on a nub but do worse in each subsequent attempt.
I almost always do best against a boss in my first try. Maybe because I have no expectations. So if I do get them the first time it will usually take several.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:25 pm What amazes me is how lowly guards can still take you out if you're not careful.
Aint this the truth.
Lost count of the times I've waltzed into an area and have been trounced by non-boss enemies.
Very frustrating.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

stimpy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:19 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:25 pm What amazes me is how lowly guards can still take you out if you're not careful.
Aint this the truth.
Lost count of the times I've waltzed into an area and have been trounced by non-boss enemies.e worst
Very frustrating.
Dogs and other animals are the worst.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dogs can be rough because more than one and they can stunlock you.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:20 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:22 pm

Oh, I know where you are then. The other approach is longer but the enemies are more spread out. It will lead to another door which opens to the same area the main entrance does but you have to avoid or kill a Scion enemy. The main entrance is very strongly guarded. There is a Grace in a building to the right about half way up. The castle itself is full of goodies, and enemies and is well worth exploring.
Yeah, that Scion in the locked (trapped) darkroom got me a few times before I decided against it. My on foot/close quarters weapons aren't so great currently...

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

There are a couple doors on the opposite side of the room. One leads to a short cut, another leads out to the area that meets with the main gate area. There is a Grace on the other side of that area.
Black Lives Matter