Supraland

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Supraland

Post by Lordnine »

Supraland is my favorite puzzle game since The Talos Principle. While that game went full philosophical this is definitely a bit lighter in the story department (you are red stickman with a wood sword) but many of the puzzles are equally clever. This fact is a little deceptive at first because the game starts out pretty simple.

The first half hour of the game is spent just collecting basic upgrades and doing simple block puzzles but where things go from there is incredible. The game also takes some heavy inspiration from games like Metroid and Zelda. A major element of the game is hunting for upgrades and these are hidden everywhere. You will also do a large amount of returning to areas once you unlock additional abilities to traverse the environment in new ways. The one negative I have for the game is that the combat feels like an afterthought and really doesn’t need to be in the game. That said, I have so many upgrades at this point that I can one shot most enemies so it isn’t that big of a deal.

Definitely check out the game if you want a very clever puzzle game.

coopasonic

Re: Supraland

Post by coopasonic »

and there is a demo... and it is pretty awesome.

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Picked this up and enjoying it so far. Humor is good, environment is interesting, puzzles are aren't too tough so far, no bugs.

Wasn't too sure about it at first, but I stuck it out long enough to get the first MacGuffin, and it seems to open up and get some more variety after that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My 12yo and are playing it in real world co-op. Both playing separately in the same room, calling out when we find cool stuff and helping each other solve different puzzles. He's gotten quite a few that had me a little puzzled (and vice versa). Two heads are better than one.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

And finished...or as finished as I am going to make it. I completed the final puzzle/boss and did enough extra stuff afterwords to "become happy". I thought the ending could have used a bit more conclusion but this is still one of the most enjoyable games I've played in quite a while.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finished the story this morning. I am not sure how much further I want to go. I have a terrible time navigating the world. I mostly just wander randomly waiting for the chest detector to tell me there is something to find. There are still 51 chests in the world which kind of boggles my mind after all I have picked up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

One hint I would give for navigating is to look up. Most areas of the world are laid out in such a way that you can navigate by looking for the giant crystals. I would have preferred a real map but once I started to use them as markers it became a lot easier. Also, there are just tons of shortcuts if you look for the breakable minecraft blocks. They are sometimes a bit hidden but it seems like almost every area has at least one.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

FYI this is on Switch, PS4 and XBOne now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Playing this to get out of a funk where nothing seems to click. Hit the wall on a few games and, inspired by the "try it, you'll like it*" thread I gave this one a go for the recommended 30 minutes.

It's good. I'm currently on blue mcguffin search and the game has expanded from the simple, introductory challenges to those that are more ... cerebral (jumpy, difficult). The puzzles are great as is the exploration; fighting is a distraction and offers no value except having something to battle and drop coins. Not to say it's not challenging; it just feels misplaced. Focus on the strengths, Supraland, and leave the spawning enemies behind. If battle is part of the deal, then consider boss fights at each level w/o the respawns.

Can recommend.

*liking is not guaranteed.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I bet this game would be amazing on PS4. I love it on PC, and I don't even know why. It's so damn quirky, and so different I guess. Just a weird mash-up of a bunch of different stuff, but it works somehow. Games that I have played that try to blend multiple genres generally don't pull it off.

Very cool game - I struggle to think of any game even remotely similar.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Jolor wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:11 pm The puzzles are great as is the exploration; fighting is a distraction and offers no value except having something to battle and drop coins. Not to say it's not challenging; it just feels misplaced.
+1
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A new Supraland game has arrived (Supraland Six Inches Under) and it has been a lot of fun so far. As soon as I noticed it was a thing, my son and I both bought it without a second thought. That's how much we loved Supraland.

There are fewer enemies wandering around this one. On the other hand there are more enemy events completely blocking progression. The combat is pretty trivial, though I think it could get frustrating for some. SO far the puzzles have generally been pretty intuitive but they are starting to get more complex.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Reminds me I should reinstall Supraland and try to pick up where I left off. I got stuck pretty early on (7 hours in) and I guess I got frustrated. I was actively trying to avoid looking up solutions since I had seen a few people recommending against that, as the puzzles eventually come to you, or resolve themselves with other actions, and it's a lot more rewarding. To be so cartoony and light...it sure is...hard! :D