the inevitable repeal of the abolishment of [seasonal time shifting]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

the inevitable repeal of the abolishment of [seasonal time shifting]

Post by hitbyambulance »

seems to be on an accelerated timescale now:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... minate-it/

Washington, Oregon and California may well lead the way on this.

EDIT: updated thread title to reflect the fact that some states have voted to remain on savings time, not standard time.
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordMortis

Re: the inevitable abolishment of Daylight Savings Time in our lifetimes

Post by LordMortis »

I'm so ready for this but if I get my druthers we stay on autumn winter time. I'm selfish that way. I don't get up in the dark well anymore and the older I get the worse it gets.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id like to stay on the spring summer time. Donna will miss it if it ever comes to be. We both didn't like the change to short dark cold days.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I know there's a psychological impact behind it, but there's no difference in the length of a day whether one is on standard or savings time.

I mean, for today in DC, the length of the day is 9:57:32. The sun rose at 7:21 AM, and will set at 5:18 PM. Yet, if we were on savings time the sun would rise at 8:21 AM, and set at 6:18 PM. The length of the day would be the same; it would just shift the time the sun is in the sky.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 am I know there's a psychological impact behind it, but there's no difference in the length of a day whether one is on standard or savings time.

I mean, for today in DC, the length of the day is 9:57:32. The sun rose at 7:21 AM, and will set at 5:18 PM. Yet, if we were on savings time the sun would rise at 8:21 AM, and set at 6:18 PM. The length of the day would be the same; it would just shift the time the sun is in the sky.
It just matters if you have a preference when daylight hours occur. DST give more daylight after work, when I can make use of it. When daylight happens before 6 am, that just means I'm up earlier, often earlier than I have to be. But since I can't bike commute anymore, those early daylight hours are dead to me.
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 am I know there's a psychological impact behind it, but there's no difference in the length of a day whether one is on standard or savings time.

In Boston in December, a 4:11pm sunset is far more depressing than a 5:11pm sunset.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 am

In Boston in December, a 4:11pm sunset is far more depressing than a 5:11pm sunset.
+1. I would like to see daylight time year-round.

I think people's opinions correlate with whether they live on the eastern or western edge of their timezone. When we're getting 8:30 sunsets here, my friends in MI are contending with daylight until 9:30. They profess to hate that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 pm my friends in MI are contending with daylight until 9:30. They profess to hate that.
You need less vampiric friends.

On the longest days, we'll have functional brightness from before 5:00 am to around 9 pm. I just don't sleep so much during the summer. It's still dark at my typical bed time (~10 pm); I don't really need the skies getting bright before 4 am.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

daylight savings time causes me lots of trouble.
what did the graph show for 1:30 am? we don't know, at 2am the graph went back in time and overwrote the data for an hour.

and don't get me started on india, and their 30 minute offset. Ugh
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm daylight savings time causes me lots of trouble.
what did the graph show for 1:30 am? we don't know, at 2am the graph went back in time and overwrote the data for an hour.

and don't get me started on india, and their 30 minute offset. Ugh
The obvious answer is to put everything in GMT then nobody knows when it happened.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I once talked to a guy in Indiana who lived in the part of the state that didn't observe DST but worked in the part of the state that did. So he had to leave his house at 8:00am so he could get to work by 8:00am. Or something like that. All I know is that him explaining it made my head hurt.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

might have to rename the thread
Or at the very least...

mori

Post by mori »

I hate daylight saving time. I also promote doing away with time zones. We are not in the 19th century anymore.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

"A bill that would put Washington state on year-round daylight saving time passed the state Senate on Tuesday by an overwhelming 46-2 vote.

The state House already approved such a measure, but the Senate amended it, so it now heads back to the House for a final vote before going to the governor’s desk.

If passed, it would still require federal approval to implement."

Trump already said he thinks it's a great idea, so he totally won't be changing his mind and this should be happening by next year, right?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sure Oregon, part of Idaho, and the Canadians are thrilled at the prospect.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:59 pm I'm sure Oregon, part of Idaho, and the Canadians are thrilled at the prospect.
dunno what Idaho or Canada says, but
Voters in California last year backed an initiative to adopt permanent daylight time, and Oregon legislators recently passed a similar proposal. That’s significant, Washington lawmakers say, because the West Coast should be unified in its timekeeping.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

BC is pushing for it. We are on board.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/provinc ... -time-2018
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:59 pm I'm sure Oregon, part of Idaho, and the Canadians are thrilled at the prospect.
I’m missing something. What makes daylight saving time worse for those places?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s the idea that people traveling in the area have to change their clocks when they cross a border very close to where they are.

It’s a thing between Arizona and their surrounding states, but they’re bigger and less populated.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Did we lose Washington State?!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Sleep scientist Matthew Walker has observed that “human beings are the only species that deliberately deprive themselves of sleep for no apparent gain.” We stay up late to watch our favorite TV shows. We wake up early to get to work or school on time. And twice a year we change our clocks, to the bewilderment of our circadian rhythms.
The culprit? More natural light in the evening hours.
Panama City, Fla., for instance, is located on the far eastern end of the Central time zone, while Pecos, Tex., sits on the far western side. This week, the sun set in Panama City about 7:12 p.m. Central time. In Pecos, it set more than an hour later, at 8:25 p.m.
Data from the American Time Use Survey by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in which respondents keep detailed diaries of how they spend their days, confirms what the Jawbone data suggest: Those who live in the geographical area of a time zone with a later sunset went to bed, on average, 19 minutes later than people who live with earlier sunsets.

The problem for folks who go to bed later is that they generally cannot make up lost sleep on the back end: Work and school have set start times, whether you live in Pecos or Panama City.
Roughly speaking, 19 minutes of lost sleep a day translates to 115 hours of lost sleep per year. Given what’s known about the importance of sleep for good physical and mental health, it’s no surprise that Giuntella and Mazzonna found a greater incidence of health problems in areas where the sun sets later.
The authors also found economic differences. Sleeping less is known to adversely affect productivity. As a result, the researchers found, “wages tend to be 3 percent lower on the late sunset side of the time zone border, suggesting negative effects on economic productivity.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 pm
wonderpug wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 am

+1. I would like to see daylight time year-round.

I think people's opinions correlate with whether they live on the eastern or western edge of their timezone. When we're getting 8:30 sunsets here, my friends in MI are contending with daylight until 9:30. They profess to hate that.
I find getting up in the dark to be way more depressing than leaving work in the dark.
Black Lives Matter.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... lees-desk/
A bill to put Washington state permanently on daylight saving time has passed the state House of Representatives 90-6 and now heads to Gov. Jay Inslee’s desk for a signature. Rep. Marcus Riccelli, D-Spokane, who is among the bill’s sponsors, said he’s had every indication that the governor intends to sign the bill.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:43 am I find getting up in the dark to be way more depressing than leaving work in the dark.
I dunno about depressing but it's physically more difficult for me to get up when it's completely dark. And my awareness on the drive in is affected.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I love DST; both the spring forward and the fall back. But I work hours that would make most people's head explode so...yeah. I guess it's good to live in a world where that's something people legitimately argue about.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GungHo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:29 pm I love DST; both the spring forward and the fall back. But I work hours that would make most people's head explode so...yeah. I guess it's good to live in a world where that's something people legitimately argue about.
In a normal spring, I'd agree with you. But tomorrow, 4/27 they are predicting 2-5" of snow across the area...the extra hour of daylight used to signal the start of biking season but mine still hasn't left the garage. :x

My wife works 3rd shift though an it messes up her work schedule a bit, but she's never complained.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee and Florida have all passed laws to stay on DST year round, but they all still need federal approval (and if WA, OR and CA get approved, British Columbia will follow).

"A handful of other states, including Alaska, Iowa, Massachusetts, Texas, Utah and Vermont have introduced legislation to make changes to how they observe daylight saving time.

Some of those states in New England, rather than introduce permanent daylight saving time, are proposing a workaround by using a year-round Atlantic Standard Time (AST) — a time zone one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time. In doing so, these states would effectively be observing daylight saving time permanently without having to put it to a vote in Congress.

Other states, such as Texas, are considering moving to permanent standard time altogether rather than daylight saving time."

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/politics ... 803071.php
Daehawk

Re: the inevitable abolishment of [seasonal time shifting] in our lifetimes

Post by Daehawk »

Remember to set your clocks back an hour tonight.

Enlarge Image
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

While most people are getting an extra hour of sleep tonight, I'll be working a 13-hour shift. And I'm salaried, so I don't even get paid for it. :cry:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sudy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:35 pm While most people are getting an extra hour of sleep tonight, I'll be working a 13-hour shift. And I'm salaried, so I don't even get paid for it. :cry:
Same with my wife. She is not amused.
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I want to be waking up with the sun or after it. Waking up BEFORE the sun comes up is crazy pants. :tjg:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have no idea when the sun comes up. I know that it's going to start going down as early as 4 pm pretty soon, though, and that's just puppies.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Sudy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:35 pm While most people are getting an extra hour of sleep tonight, I'll be working a 13-hour shift. And I'm salaried, so I don't even get paid for it. :cry:
That sucks. I can't imagine why, other than the salaried bullshit it works that way. You should get at least an extra hour of vacation leave.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In the spring, he gets an 11-hour shift.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Both kids were wondering why I still in bed after the sun came up. Their clocks obviously did not reset themselves.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We've always had three that dont...wall clock, stove, and microwave.......oh car radio so 4. I forgot that one. Maybe I should go reset it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

‘Give us our eleven days!’ The English calendar riots of 1752.
The Calendar (New Style) Act 1750 introduced the Gregorian calendar to the British Empire, bringing Britain into line with most of Western Europe.

Its introduction was not straightforward. It meant that the year 1751 was a short year, lasting just 282 days from 25th March (New Year in the Julian calendar) to 31st December. The year 1752 then began on 1 January.

There remained the problem of aligning the calendar in use in England with that in use in Europe. It was necessary to correct it by 11 days: the ‘lost days’. It was decided that Wednesday 2nd September 1752 would be followed by Thursday 14th September 1752.
It is also true that when the British government decided to alter the calendar and skip these 11 days, many people mistakenly believed that their lives would be shortened by 11 days. People were also unhappy and suspicious at the moving of saint’s days and holy days, including the date of Easter. Many people also objected to the imposition of what they saw as a ‘popish’ calendar.

However, most historians now believe that these protests never happened. You could say that the calendar rioters were the late Georgian equivalent of an urban myth.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id laugh at those ignorant and primitive people but just look at us today....same old stupidity out there.
mori

Post by mori »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:04 pm Remember to set your clocks back an hour tonight.

Enlarge Image
Finally returning to the correct time.