OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by hepcat »

D2 is like D3 but without crafting, a more restrictive timer (you can’t dawdle…hell, you can’t really stop at all for anything), and a more traditional combat mechanic as opposed to the fatigue based, card flipping mechanic found in LotD.

The app still does the heavy lifting, there’s still leveling up, and you still build the map as you go…but without all the nifty 3D terrain.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fardaza wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:15 pm I meant to ask for comparisons of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (D2) not Legends of the Dark (D3). Almost all of your comments above are very helpful. I just didn't see that Blackhawk and Hepcat were talking about a different game until I reread the posts for about the third time. I'm kicking myself because I don't really want D3.

I hate to ask you guys, but can you give me some other comparisons/recommendations for D2 and SS this time?
My comparison is still "I haven't played Descent", so sure.

I haven't played Descent.

;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Five Leagues from the Borderlands was finally delivered today (Modiphus + FunAgain games = pain), which is nice. I've had the PDF forever (came with preorder), but there's something about holding a physical book in your hands that I don't think I'll ever be able to completely give up.
Five Leagues from the Borderlands is a solo adventure wargame where you take the role of a warband of heroes and adventurers, and explore a grim world full of monsters, enemies, creeping malice, and exciting quests.
I might try to go for more theater of the mind for this one and see if I can use a really stripped down play area (dry erase markers on laminated tiles or 2D tokens, standees, etc...) or possibly use a virtual setup.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just played my first few rounds of Paperback Adventures - a solo only game from Tim Fowers (the Burgle Bros guy). It's basically a light deck building combat scrabble. Once the game is set up, it is super simple to play, but man getting the setup down is going to take some practice. I also am testing how easy it is to pause and resume play. I'll find out how well that worked later this week.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:35 pm Just played my first few rounds of Paperback Adventures - a solo only game from Tim Fowers (the Burgle Bros guy). It's basically a light deck building combat scrabble. Once the game is set up, it is super simple to play, but man getting the setup down is going to take some practice. I also am testing how easy it is to pause and resume play. I'll find out how well that worked later this week.
I've enjoyed my time with the game so for, but I made the mistake of checking out the demo of Paperback Adventures on Steam. It's not a perfect (or complete) version of the tabletop game, but it did highlight for me the fiddly nature of gameplay--taking cards out to upgrade, fighting the trays to move the counters, etc. I like the game, but wish the flow of the game was a bit smoother.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Finished punching, stickering and bagging Storm Above the Reich and played the quick training mission. It's supposed to be five turns, but I only played 2, as I got the success condition.

Two FW-190s against a six-ship element. I had my guys do a climbing pass from opposite sides against the trailer in the section.

The first pilot didn't get a hit on the bomber as he sailed past, but did manage to absorb a little bit of lead into his fuselage. No detrimental effects, however.

The second managed a much better pass, hitting an engine and forcing the bomber to drop out of formation.

"Your goal is to damage a bomber without putting a fighter in the Fate box."

Mission accomplished, head for home.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Speaking of WW2 Air clashes, I just got Tally-Ho: A Solitaire Air War Game from Amazon. It is a book game similar to the solitaire book games by Mike Lambo, also on Amazon.

Tally Ho looked intriguing because it showcases the Battle of Britain from the Sector controller's point of view. So the player decides which British squadrons to order out and intercept incoming raids and tries to vector the planes to intercept them. At the start of a movement phase the player rolls dice to see whether or not they have good communication with a given squadron. Sometimes they can't even communicate, in which case the squadron just flies in a straight line. However, dogfights between German and British squadrons happen automatically as soon as they enter the same hex, so there is some strategy involved in making sure your British squadron faces a certain way so as to increase the odds of intercepting even if you "lose comms" with them.

You can play the 15 missions either singly or as part of a campaign. Results for each individual mission are logged and can affect succeding missions - for example, if you were unable to prevent a squadron's base from being attacked you may lose that squadron in a later mission. At the very end you tally the results for each mission and compare them against the book to generate a war report. This war report is written as a recommendation to Parliament on whether or not to continue the struggle against Germany or accept her terms for surrender.

If you are interested the designer has also included a downloadable free version on boardgamegeek that includes the rules and first 3 missions.

And finally, the designer eventually plans on releasing a Metagame called AlderTag! (Eagle Day) which will allow multiple players to play as different Sector Commanders or German planners and re-fight their own Battle of Britain.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:56 pm Finished punching, stickering and bagging Storm Above the Reich and played the quick training mission.
I keep looking at all WW2 flight games (adding RAF to this one) and I really want to try them but they also look ultra complicated. I think I need to find a good Youtube tutorial or something. Target for Today and Interceptor Ace didn't really grab me. I guess I'm not even really sure what I'm looking for with these games either. Maybe if i just play them all, I'll figure it out. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The GMT pages have a lot of helpful links. One guy that I game(d) with did a BGG write-up of a Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi Session that ended up linked from the GMT page.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

For solo play, is this a good deal? That price looks nice to get the extras, but I noticed you can get the Core Game for around $60 these days:

https://www.thegamesteward.com/collecti ... board-game
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That was a $120 pledge that they're selling for $160 + shipping. It's a better deal than it was before the sale, but I'm guessing you're going to be paying $40+ for shipping it as well, based on weight/size.

It's also really hard to recommend blindly. We've discussed it here before and I really liked the mechanics but it's not a casual game. It's something you're going to need to spend time learning and then commit to having it set up so you can play through it. It's the kind of game (at least it was for me) that if you have time away, you're going to need to spend time re-learning (which I didn't enjoy). I only ever messed around with the ~$60 core sets but just couldn't keep them set up in a way so I was able to play them all the time. Very, very crunchy and very much like playing an RPG. I had an easier time understanding the basics of Dungeon Universalis, fwiw.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

It sounds like the cost is still too high, then (although I think they are doing free shipping). With DUN sitting here, I likely don't have any room for it. Thanks for the opinion!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Free shipping definitely makes it even better, but with DUN in your hands I'm having a hard time thinking this would meet a different/better need - unless you like your games more board game-y and less role playing game as a board game-7. SaS definitely has an RPG feel to it - before I read DUN it was easily the crunchiest RPG board game I'd ever tried. But DUN absolutely replaced it for that "space" if that makes sense?
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

Sorry but what's DUN?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How all the cool kids refer to Dungeon Universalis - without needing to type out that fancy name all the time. ;)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's a good deal on the S&S pledge. I had a lot of fun with the game, but like Smoove said, it's one of those games that's a commitment. It's got RPG-level rules complexity (although if you have DUN, you're likely not intimidated by that.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Yeah, I think with DUN in hand, Tanares coming in January, and Hoplomachus coming as well, I have enough of the "mans on a map fighting" games.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:44 pm That's a good deal on the S&S pledge. I had a lot of fun with the game, but like Smoove said, it's one of those games that's a commitment. It's got RPG-level rules complexity (although if you have DUN, you're likely not intimidated by that.)
What's amazing to me is that games like S&S feel like someone started with the bones of a board game and then tried to make it more like an RPG by adding crunch. It's not the only board game to do it by any means and I do think S&S did a better job than most, but it also still feels very much like a board game. On the other hand, DUN feels like it started out as an RPG but they figured out a way to borrow from modern design to "gamify" the experience. From a distance they look similar, but for whatever reason (likely my RPG background, I guess) I had a much easier time understanding and processing DUN; the rule book was easier for me to read and identify with. S&S was like reading a very dense board gaming manual.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DUN is deep…but intuitive for anyone who has ever played an RPG or tabletop minis game.
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I've had S&S:AC set up on my tables for about 3 weeks now. I've been playing it exclusively as far as board games go. Sometimes it sits there for a day or two before I take another crack at it. I'm really enjoying it!! But, as mentioned above, it does take work to get into it. It seems too difficult for my tastes, so I've ignored a few rules and changed a couple others to make it more enjoyable for me. I'm a little more than halfway through the base campaign (Act 1). Not sure if I'll immediately go into Northwind Tales expansion (Act 2) or not. I may play Sleeping Gods or Roll Player Adventures instead.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve been hooked on Chronicles of Drunagor the last month. But I do need to get back to my DUN solo campaign. Of course, I also have Frosthaven ready to go. I think I’ve got 4 players for that. But it will probably have to wait until right after the holidays.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:40 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:56 pm Finished punching, stickering and bagging Storm Above the Reich and played the quick training mission.
I keep looking at all WW2 flight games (adding RAF to this one) and I really want to try them but they also look ultra complicated. I think I need to find a good Youtube tutorial or something. Target for Today and Interceptor Ace didn't really grab me. I guess I'm not even really sure what I'm looking for with these games either. Maybe if i just play them all, I'll figure it out. :D
If you’re referring to John Butterfield’s RAF there’s a contributor on BGG named Stuka Joe who created a deck of flip cards that you methodically go through as you play the game, following the steps outlined on each card. I did a read through of the rule book but once I printed the deck on some card stock and cut out the cards I just used them to guide me through the steps of the game and it was so easy to play (but those damn Germans were challenging as hell!). Now it won’t help you if you don’t like the system and gameplay but you can watch session videos to get a sense of the game. I liked taking the role of an Air Marshal in the RAF Fighter Command.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am indeed. My buddy is a fan of anything and everything Butterfield has created and RAF is one he keeps trying to get me into. The board looks even more complicated than D-Day at Normandy (Butterfield), so it puts me on tilt every time I try looking at it. He's offered to teach it to me (which has worked great for Fields of Fire and DDaOB), but I'm just not sure. Definitely need to watch more Youtubes. :wink:

Related (to WW2, I guess) I've been playing a bit of Undaunted with the solo bot. My replacement cards came in late last month so I figured what the hell and I fired it up. Still haven't played against someone else, but as a solo game I found the bot to be quite competent. It's not just programmed behaviors either - the bot can randomly do things, making each turn a bit more variable and not as predicable as you can sometimes get in other games. It plays quick and I really like how it's a deck builder with dice resolution all with a WW2 theme. I know the grognards roll their eyes at it because there's no hexes or chits, but I think it could be a great "gateway" game for someone with casual (i.e. "I like war movies!") interest. I love (seriously, it's hands down my favorite) squad-based WW2 games so this is a keeper for me. Maybe someday I'll actually play against someone else, but the solo bot is definitely solid!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I pulled my copy of Undaunted with all the expansions off the shelf to play this weekend as well. It really is an ingenious game. I’ve heard that Stalingrad is absolutely amazing. But for a hundred bucks it would have to have solo mode to justify it for me. Alas, it does not.

And of course the other Undaunted solo bot is good. It’s a Turczi. :D
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I only have the original Undaunted plus the solo set; no expansions for me. I was trying to avoid what I usually do - purchase a game and everything available and then sit with analysis paralysis over what to use for playing/learning. The Stalingrad set does look awesome and if I had someone I was meeting with regularly (like 1x a week or twice a month), I'm confident we'd play through it and love every minute. I believe there's a TTS file to learn/play Undaunted and I'm on deck to teach it to my friend. We've been meeting online every week to play the Arkham LCG on TTS and it's really been great. I was hesitant at first, but it works quite well. Doesn't quite replace having the cards in hand, but definitely still enjoyable.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"The goriest, saddest game of Dominion ever."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:40 am I only have the original Undaunted plus the solo set; no expansions for me. I was trying to avoid what I usually do - purchase a game and everything available and then sit with analysis paralysis over what to use for playing/learning.
I got the North Africa standalone expansion on sale for like 25 bucks online during a sale, then I got Reinforcements from Walmart for around 30 bucks (I think they eventually raised the price...my guess is someone put it online without double checking the MSRP or something). The only one of the series I paid full price for was Normandy.

As for learning the game, it's surprisingly simple. The rules are only about 6 pages of actual mechanics. I was really impressed with how such a simple game has such fantastic choices.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:08 am As for learning the game, it's surprisingly simple. The rules are only about 6 pages of actual mechanics. I was really impressed with how such a simple game has such fantastic choices.
Yes, this also surprised me. It does an excellent job of giving you squad-based WW2 feel without heavy/dense wargaming rules that are normally required. Plus the components are better than your average war game, imho. It's a solid title.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I was curious about the Undaunted games and glad to hear that the solo mode is well done and the rules aren’t a “brain burner”. Fortunately for my wallet it’s hard to find the Undaunted:Reinforcements expansion with the solo rules so I’ll hold off until the new year…or maybe even play what I have :lol:

Edit: Or maybe I’ll be unpacking and playing Hoplomachus: Victorum which just arrived on my front porch! :dance:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My copy of Victorum was first set for Sunday, then changed to Monday, and about 30 minutes ago I got a "delivery attempted" notice. So they did go back to Sunday and tried to deliver it to my office. So tomorrow I'll hopefully get it.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Victorum has been delivered and Chip Theory Games continued disdain for my Kallax storage units continues...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:46 pm Victorum has been delivered and Chip Theory Games continued disdain for my Kallax storage units continues...
Yeah, that box completely makes a mockery of any attempts at storage. It’s just another thing to trip over in my mess of an office. :lol:
Black lives matter!

Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:46 pm Victorum has been delivered and Chip Theory Games continued disdain for my Kallax storage units continues...
I was sure it would fit horizontally, but no dice. (no chips?) Guess it sits on top of my Kallax along with Burncycle.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Fishbelly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:44 pm I was sure it would fit horizontally, but no dice. (no chips?) Guess it sits on top of my Kallax along with Burncycle.
That's my current plan, but it's now taking up the space on top of the shelf that I'd cleared for the Kingdom Death Monster Gambler's Box - which is slightly bigger than the original core set. The shuffle continues!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:
Fishbelly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:44 pm I was sure it would fit horizontally, but no dice. (no chips?) Guess it sits on top of my Kallax along with Burncycle.
That's my current plan, but it's now taking up the space on top of the shelf that I'd cleared for the Kingdom Death Monster Gambler's Box - which is slightly bigger than the original core set. The shuffle continues!
Is KDM Gambler’s Box close to shipping? If not, you might as well use that space!

Still no shipping notice for me. I got remastered and the Victorum. I don’t really NEED it before the holiday, but it might be nice. How are the first impressions? I suspect amazing given the Chip Theory Track record.

My copy of Starforge, the journaling RPG space-themed “sequel” to Ironsworn should come tomorrow. That is cool!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

baelthazar wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:18 pm
Smoove_B wrote:
Is KDM Gambler’s Box close to shipping? If not, you might as well use that space!

Still no shipping notice for me. I got remastered and the Victorum. I don’t really NEED it before the holiday, but it might be nice. How are the first impressions? I suspect amazing given the Chip Theory Track record.

My copy of Starforge, the journaling RPG space-themed “sequel” to Ironsworn should come tomorrow. That is cool!
This is my first Chip Theory Game and as I organize things I’m really impressed by the components and listening to the clack of the hefty chips. Ahhh, life’s simple pleasures…

I’m also getting Starforge in a few days. Unfortunately I’m traveling for Christmas though and I wish I could just hole up in a cabin and play some board games. :cry:
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:18 pm Is KDM Gambler’s Box close to shipping? If not, you might as well use that space!
Allegedly coming late Q2 or early Q3 2023; it's being printed now.
How are the first impressions? I suspect amazing given the Chip Theory Track record.
It's beautiful - the hydro-dipped stadium seating holder they came up with is an unreal component for a game. I don't know if there are awards for these types of things, but it should get one. Without question, the production values are A++. I opted for the premium health chips too, so it really is a sight to behold!. I'm going to look for some tutorials but I should be able to get this quick to the table.
I received tracking info for my copy but it's all wacky, bouncing around different carriers but still not in the hands of the USPS. This feels like the single worst week to try and get something delivered by the USPS so I hope it works out...
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:28 pm I wish I could just hole up in a cabin and play some board games. :cry:
That's basically what I'm doing right now! My wife is out of the country for another month. I've got Sleeping Gods on the table right now and am getting ready to go for another couple hours here in a bit. :D
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:06 pm
It's beautiful - the hydro-dipped stadium seating holder they came up with is an unreal component for a game. I don't know if there are awards for these types of things, but it should get one. Without question, the production values are A++. I opted for the premium health chips too, so it really is a sight to behold!. I'm going to look for some tutorials but I should be able to get this quick to the table.
While setting the game up for tomorrow, I'm grinning in anticipation as I sort through all the beautiful chips, dice, mats, and so on.

I cannot fathom how long it took the factory to unbox each game, remove all the chip bundles, resort/resleeve them, and then reshrink each game. What a nightmare. It took me a LONG time just to unbox my one copy! :shock:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Fardaza wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:35 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:28 pm I wish I could just hole up in a cabin and play some board games. :cry:
That's basically what I'm doing right now! My wife is out of the country for another month. I've got Sleeping Gods on the table right now and am getting ready to go for another couple hours here in a bit. :D
Not that I don’t love my family but you are living the dream!
Black lives matter!