Last Epoch - Action RPG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Last Epoch - Action RPG

Post by coopasonic »

I picked it up yesterday and started it and almost immediately regretted it. Online was pretty bad, the waits while transitioning were dumb and I got stuck in a transition at one point. I'm glad I didn't get too far because when I switched to offline, my character wasn't available so I started over.

Offline has been much better. I'm playing a rogue and using the first skill they gave me (some triple attack that uses no mana) and have been wrecking up through level 13. I am getting enough loot that I have to leave stuff behind or make extra stops in town.

Lots of loot, but not much in the way of upgrades so far. I got a weapon that was a big damage upgrade, but I quickly learned that rogues are fragile when they don't get 5 hp per melee hit so I immediately went back to my life on hit weapon. I'll figure that problem out later. It may be related to me putting all my skill points into doing more damage.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Yesterday was hit and miss on being able to play the game. This morning I jumped on and it seemed pretty good for the first hour. Some lag on zone into towns/TP. Now it is unplayable again. I killed the boss guy to get to the End of Time and the game sat there spinning while trying to load the zone and eventually it kicked me out to the main screen with a disconnect error. Now am I unable to log in my character.

They still have major problems going into their first release weekend. Sad because I really want the game to succeed. Hope they still are in their 'war room' working through the problems.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I'm sorry you guys are struggling with the launch. Other than that first day with no online services, I've had no issues. Of course, I haven't been on much but the times I've played I haven't had an issue. Hoping to get some more time in today.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I played for a few more hours last night (up to lvl 20), and it has finally started to click a bit. I switched from a Rogue to a Necromancer, and it’s been far more fun to play. I’m getting some better loot drops and am figuring out the profession system, both of which have made a big difference.

I still think the world is incredibly dull and bland, but I did finally start feeling that “just one more checkpoint” tug that I get with good arpgs. Unfortunately, I think the first couple hours are the worst. After you get out of the starter areas, the locations, mobs, and general atmosphere gets a little more interesting.

I’m playing offline and haven’t run into any issues doing so.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:28 pm I switched from a Rogue to a Necromancer, and it’s been far more fun to play.
This is amusing to me because I did the exact opposite and had the same result. The worst thing about my flurry rogue at level 28 is that I barely have to pay attention.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Stupid question. If an item says "X% increased Lightning/Fire damage", does that mean it:

1. Increases any existing lightning/fire damage spells by X%
2. Adds X% of lightning/fire damage damage to your normal attacks

I'm assuming #1 (so I haven't bothered with anything that has that affix, as my necro doesn't have any elemental spells), but realized I might be misunderstanding.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

All this talk about arpgs has got me hankering for some play time. I sure as heck ain't paying for Last Epoch at the current price, so reinstalling Grim Dawn is the result. I have never finished it so this might be a good time to try.

The next problem to solve is what build to use. There are so many good, fun and effective builds in this game, it's hard to settle for just one. Last time I tried, I ended up with 10 alts.

never mind.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:53 pm Stupid question. If an item says "X% increased Lightning/Fire damage", does that mean it:

1. Increases any existing lightning/fire damage spells by X%
2. Adds X% of lightning/fire damage damage to your normal attacks

I'm assuming #1 (so I haven't bothered with anything that has that affix, as my necro doesn't have any elemental spells), but realized I might be misunderstanding.
No idea, but I'd go with #1 until I knew otherwise.

This weekend I hit the first real skill/build check in the game apparently, and got stopped really before that. I think I'm around level 54 or 55 and Lithia(?) is murdering me. Apparently she's the prequel to the real skill check boss and I ain't seen nothing yet. I guess it's time to day goodbye to flurry on my bladedancer rogue. Hopefully I can find the gear for the new build. Actually I can go backwards and crush everything thoughlessly, so I am not too worried on that front. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Decided to play offline as I rarely, if ever, play with anyone else. Treating this like Titan Quest. I am a sucker for a necromancer build, but I decided to try something different since I had a necro in early release. Started a soldier and druid, but wasn't really drawn in. Then I started a lightning mage and immediately got hooked. Chain lightning and cold pretty much mows down anything. I found a unique that also adds a 38% chance to trigger every single status effect all at once, and pretty much melts everything. First magic-based class I've really connected with in a game like this, I've mostly played ranged/pet based classes in Diablo/PoE/ARPG.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:52 pm This weekend I hit the first real skill/build check in the game apparently, and got stopped really before that. I think I'm around level 54 or 55 and Lithia(?) is murdering me. Apparently she's the prequel to the real skill check boss and I ain't seen nothing yet. I guess it's time to day goodbye to flurry on my bladedancer rogue. Hopefully I can find the gear for the new build. Actually I can go backwards and crush everything thoughlessly, so I am not too worried on that front. :P
I'm probably getting close to that point, just hit level 45. I've been playing as a Necro with a summoned army of skeletons, golems, and skeletal mages but they're starting to melt far more quickly than before. My guess is that won't be a viable build soon without some major skill point tweaking and/or some decent gear. Unfortunately set pieces or unique gear never seems to drop for me. Actually, I take that back...unique gear does drop, but I have yet to find any that is actually for my class or gives useful stats.

It's been a fun placeholder over the past week, but I expect it'll go on the shelf when FF VII Rebirth comes out on Thursday.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

The on-line mode was hardly playable all weekend. Monday and yesterday it has been good and stable. Assuming the player count is much lower during the week and that is the reason. Got a runemaster to lvl 50. I'm going all in on fire damage. Currently on Chapter 7.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Moved from "not a build/Flurry kills everything" setup to an Umbral Blades build and the boss that was frustrating me just melted. The following boss put up more of a fight. I stepped in front of a one shot when they were at around 10% health so I think I have a decent chance at taking them out (particularly when you consider all of my specialized skills gained 3 points in the course of that run that I have yet to assign).

I still haven't done much of anything to optimize my gear. The complexity and options in Last Epoch make Diablo 3/4 seem simple by comparison. I know you PoE folks are laughing at me, but I'm not one of you, this is a lot for me.

The respec options are really pretty good. It's a little annoying that specialization points are basically lost, but they come back so quickly it's only a minor annoyance.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:52 pm I think I'm around level 54 or 55 and Lithia(?) is murdering me. Apparently she's the prequel to the real skill check boss and I ain't seen nothing yet.
I got past Lithia ok, but the very next boss is some grade A bullshit.

I honestly have no idea how a squishy summon Necro - who has cruised through nearly everything in the game up to this point - could possibly beat him. Based on what I'm reading, I would pretty much have to respec my entire build and grind for a while to even have a chance. No thanks, I don't like the game enough to do that right now.

Read a great description of that battle:
The entire boss design is “lets bore the player into making a single misclick to oneshot them! Ha!”
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm around lvl 61 now. Got past the Lagon boss. It took me about three tries. Now I am on Majasa the next big boss. Phase 1 of the fight is easy, but the boss's phase 2 is incredibly hard for my runemaster. It's definitely the first time in the game where I think resistance %'s, armor, and a high dodge % are required. I keep getting killed by a physical attack. My physical resistance is only at 40%, so I am going to grind and get that up before trying again. Might be time to do the end game monoliths. I haven't done any yet, only focused on the campaign.

By the way, the game tells you how you died on your death screen. That is amazing information! It is a feature that I want in all my ARPGs.

Crafting is excellent. Still learning it, but it doesn't take an hour+ of youtube videos to understand it. It's fun and useful.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think I'm around 66 now. I'm playing around with Monolith stuff, but I am not sure what the point of it is. I guess I'll keep going while I have quests for it, just to see. I started getting purples but haven't really seen any upgrades. I have only modified one piece of gear and that was to add lightning resist for Lathia like 100 years ago. I could probably improve my build, but I haven't died in like 10 levels so it hardly seems worth my time.

Anyway, I've had fun with the game, but so far I don't see it having the same staying power for me that D3 did. It might just be how super random and hard to compare the loot is.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:22 pm I think I'm around 66 now. I'm playing around with Monolith stuff, but I am not sure what the point of it is. I guess I'll keep going while I have quests for it, just to see. I started getting purples but haven't really seen any upgrades. I have only modified one piece of gear and that was to add lightning resist for Lathia like 100 years ago. I could probably improve my build, but I haven't died in like 10 levels so it hardly seems worth my time.

Anyway, I've had fun with the game, but so far I don't see it having the same staying power for me that D3 did. It might just be how super random and hard to compare the loot is.
The purple items are called exalted items. They aren't really for wearing. Mainly for adding their affixes to a unique item (with legendary potential). Unique items are good but slamming them with a purple item that has affixes you want makes the unique incredible. So, I've been banking all my purple and orange items in the chest. Your chest has unlimited space, so I'm not worried about banking too many things.

In the monoliths have you completed a timeline yet? Filling up the stability bar engages a boss. Killing the boss gives a blessing which is a permanent upgrade for your character. Once you complete all three times (filling up the bar three times and killing the bosses) you get to the corruption phase. Which I don't really know what that is yet. Seems interesting, I'm just starting it.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I made it to level 82 on my first character and have run into a wall. I can't get past the lvl 85 monolith boss. Going to start a second character. I've learned a ton about the game. Specifically, around crafting. I'm certain the second playthrough is going to be super fast.

I found unique items with really low or no level requirements. Fortunate to have a couple of those uniques with Legendary Potential. I slammed them with high health, stats, and resistances. Now I have a good amount of twink items which will allow my alts to be super-powered immediately.

See if I can make a character that can get past my stopping point.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I'm always amazed at how fast people level up. I don't know if it's my problem with altoholism or if it's the fact that I feel the need to explore every single corner of every single map, because hey, that shrine over there might one of the kind that drops a legendary! Or that little unexplored section might be holding a mob that drops a unique for this toon!

Do you all just stick with one character the entire time until you finish, and do you race to the flashing doorways/rifts to get to the next zone? I've always felt like I play these games so friggin slow.

Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Per season (cycle they call them here), I typically only do 1 or 2 characters. My goal each season is to play until I get super powerful and can kill all end game bosses.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm about done with the game for now. I leveled two runemasters. One a fireball with firewall. I did my own build while learning the game. I hit a wall trying to get through the last normal monolith boss. Level 82. Couldn't beat him.

On my next character I followed a build for a more powerful runemaster; Frost Claw/Frost Bite. Definitely way more powerful than my own build. I smashed through all the monoliths easily and got through some empowered/corrupted bosses. It's almost too good as I am getting bored. Very little challenge. I only need a few more pieces of equipment but I don't feel like farming more bosses.

I did not finish the campaign. There's no reason to finish it. No big rewards, skill points, etc. which is strange to me.

I now know how to maneuver through the campaign to get all the skill points and open idol slots quickly without hitting Lagon or any other hard bosses. Can do it within 6-8 hours. I am sure experts can do it in less time.

My overall thoughts after playing 130 hours since launch. Great game for a first time developer. A great ARPG that I will come back for new cycles (seasons). Endgame needs expanded. The dungeons are not good and monoliths get boring. There is nothing else to do endgame. If you follow the best builds, characters feel overpowered and march through all the content.

Crafting is excellent and very fun. Better than D4 and POE. Crafting boosts your character early and often. Alts are a lot of fun because you can boost them right at the start with twink items.

Set items are worthless which is sad. I like when they drop!

Fun game that I will return to. Hope they add more endgame.