Social Media Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Social Media Discussion

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:52 am
Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:10 am
Holman wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:23 pm Right. They say it means that the user has "verified their phone number," but I believe all that means is that I provided a number to which they could send a security code, which I sent back. It doesn't mean anything remotely like checking to see that I am really Thunberg.
Holman Thunberg. Has a sort of Nordic bad-ass ring to it, doesn't it?
This was your 36,000 post on OO. Just wanted you to know which one it was.
For my part, I feel honored.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I doubt I'm the only one, but I keep reading the title of this thread as 'Social Media Destruction'. :twisted:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Couldn't decide whether to post it here or in the Super Mario movie thread :) There's a reason Twitter didn't used to allow 60-minute video uploads before:

The entire Super Mario Bros. movie keeps getting posted to Twitter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I watched the Musk interview on Bill Maher and I must admit he does not come across as a raving lunatic. But Maher went full fanboi with NO pushback. Musk talks freedom of speech, but his actions belie it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Twitter is starting the day off on the right foot.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:34 pm I watched the Musk interview on Bill Maher and I must admit he does not come across as a raving lunatic. But Maher went full fanboi with NO pushback. Musk talks freedom of speech, but his actions belie it.
That wasn't an interview, it was an infomercial.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, probably to help convince the world he's not a Bond villain.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So CNBC is reporting that their finance blah blah blah is up for becoming CEO of Twitter. But the real news is how everyone keeps saying what a great relationship NBC (Comcast?) has had with Musk. No shit? You've been blowing him daily for years now. So now you're just admitting it to try and insert yourself in picture. Just like you did with nonstop coverage of Mario movie for three weeks like you have covered no other movie ever.... Maybe I should put this in the death of the 4th estate thread instead...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:24 pm Yeah, probably to help convince the world he's not a Bond villain.
Musk is no Bond villain. He's more of a Saturday morning Scooby-Doo villain who aspires to be a Kingsman villain.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:54 am So CNBC is reporting that their finance blah blah blah is up for becoming CEO of Twitter. But the real news is how everyone keeps saying what a great relationship NBC (Comcast?) has had with Musk. No shit? You've been blowing him daily for years now. So now you're just admitting it to try and insert yourself in picture. Just like you did with nonstop coverage of Mario movie for three weeks like you have covered no other movie ever.... Maybe I should put this in the death of the 4th estate thread instead...
How long until Musk tries to get her pregnant?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:02 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:54 am So CNBC is reporting that their finance blah blah blah is up for becoming CEO of Twitter. But the real news is how everyone keeps saying what a great relationship NBC (Comcast?) has had with Musk. No shit? You've been blowing him daily for years now. So now you're just admitting it to try and insert yourself in picture. Just like you did with nonstop coverage of Mario movie for three weeks like you have covered no other movie ever.... Maybe I should put this in the death of the 4th estate thread instead...
How long until Musk tries to get her pregnant?
That was my initial thought but she's been around for like 30 years which suggests she's in her 50s. I actually think he's making a business decision... to expand his influence...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's a good business move. That doesn't mean he won't still try.

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:58 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:24 pm Yeah, probably to help convince the world he's not a Bond villain.
Musk is no Bond villain. He's more of a Saturday morning Scooby-Doo villain who aspires to be a Kingsman villain.
Only because he's so transparent that you can see his ambitions from a mile a way... :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'd love to know whether the people actually doing the work at Twitter/Tesla/SpaceX would miss Elon Musk if he suddenly disappeared but left his money behind.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How much vision and motivation he provides is an interesting question.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There are probably some that wish he'd take a one-way trip on his rocket.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I bet he acts as a drag against motivation, and I can't imagine his 'vision' is all that remarkable...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:11 am I bet he acts as a drag against motivation, and I can't imagine his 'vision' is all that remarkable...
I don't want to be Elon's apologist, but NASA's goal is to bring some rocks back from Mars while Musk's is to settle there. NASA is more likely to succeed than Musk is, but Musk's vision isn't unremarkable.

As for motivation, frequent severe beatings go a long way, as all parents know.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:44 am
Unagi wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:11 am I bet he acts as a drag against motivation, and I can't imagine his 'vision' is all that remarkable...
I don't want to be Elon's apologist, but NASA's goal is to bring some rocks back from Mars while Musk's is to settle there. NASA is more likely to succeed than Musk is, but Musk's vision isn't unremarkable.

So I would be a visionary if I said we were going to Europa as long as the checks kept clearing?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:19 am

So I would be a visionary if I said we were going to Europa as long as the checks kept clearing?
As long as your mission (vision and checks) pushes technology forward. Musk's does. I can't argue that. And I am no apologist. He's a rotten human being.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:12 am
stessier wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:19 am

As long as your mission (vision and checks) pushes technology forward. Musk's does. I can't argue that. And I am no apologist. He's a rotten human being.
That's the thing - just have money and pick a future target and you'll push technology forward. It's not anything special.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

His vision works best as a partnership. NASA needs his rockets for their space missions. He gets to figure out the tech and gets credit for it. At the same time, I don't think Musk would go so far without NASA's assistance.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm not sure it's really visionary when you're the millionth person to imagine it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rumpy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:39 pm At the same time, I don't think Musk would go so far without NASA's assistance.
His post Paypal business is all founded in US Government assistance. Either through direct funding or tax credit. His libertarian facade, is just that.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:39 pm

His vision works best as a partnership. NASA needs his rockets for their space missions. He gets to figure out the tech and gets credit for it. At the same time, I don't think Musk would go so far without NASA's assistance.
One suspects that his employees get to figure out the tech while he takes credit for it.

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Rumpy wrote:His vision works best as a partnership. NASA needs his rockets for their space missions. He gets to figure out the tech and gets credit for it. At the same time, I don't think Musk would go so far without NASA's assistance.
He doesn’t figure out the tech though. He pays people that figure out the tech. I only point that out because people keep talking about him as if he is the one programming self driving cars while also single-handedly designing spaceships.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Max Peck wrote:One suspects that his employees get to figure out the tech while he takes credit for it.
Damn, beat me to it. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I feel like you are handing Elon a great deal of unearned credit for 'the vision of settling on Mars' here.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:03 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:39 pm

One suspects that his employees get to figure out the tech while he takes credit for it.
Oh absolutely. He still gets the credit and keeps the lights on.
RunningMn9 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:30 pm
Rumpy wrote:His vision works best as a partnership. NASA needs his rockets for their space missions. He gets to figure out the tech and gets credit for it. At the same time, I don't think Musk would go so far without NASA's assistance.
He doesn’t figure out the tech though. He pays people that figure out the tech. I only point that out because people keep talking about him as if he is the one programming self driving cars while also single-handedly designing spaceships.
Of course that's kind of the point. He'll get all the credit for his minion's work, just like he took credit for Tesla's tech. At the end of the day, he still wouldn't have gotten this far without NASA.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:58 pm
I feel like you are handing Elon a great deal of unearned credit for 'the vision of settling on Mars' here.
Geez, tough room.

Maybe "vision" was the wrong word. Certainly, people have been talking about the idea of settling Mars since we learned about planets, and taking it seriously since we learned to build rockets. Founding a company to design and build a Mars ship, and getting NASA's cooperation, is next-level. Obviously Musk isn't doing the engineering himself, and there's a lot more to do beyond just building a vehicle. It might never succeed. But he's doing something nobody else has ever done before. Like him or not (I don't), he deserves a lot of credit for SpaceX's existence and accomplishments, past and future.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, his company at the very least came up with a functional way to re-use rockets, which is no mean feat and it's actually quite a big deal in aerospace terms.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And predictably, CNBC is all atwitter this morning fawning all over Musk and the brilliance of his decision making. There are no other stories, except a brief blurb on the debt ceiling. You'd think he was the new Mario movie.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:43 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:58 pm
Geez, tough room.

Maybe "vision" was the wrong word. Certainly, people have been talking about the idea of settling Mars since we learned about planets, and taking it seriously since we learned to build rockets. Founding a company to design and build a Mars ship, and getting NASA's cooperation, is next-level. Obviously Musk isn't doing the engineering himself, and there's a lot more to do beyond just building a vehicle. It might never succeed. But he's doing something nobody else has ever done before. Like him or not (I don't), he deserves a lot of credit for SpaceX's existence and accomplishments, past and future.
Giving a total stoner a massive load of cash will not always result in a horrible endeavor. I will give you that, for sure. And I say that as a fellow stoner.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Twitter pulls out of voluntary EU disinformation code
Twitter has pulled out of the European Union's voluntary code to fight disinformation, the EU has said.

Thierry Breton, who is the EU's internal market commissioner, announced the news on Twitter - but warned the firm new laws would force compliance.

"Obligations remain. You can run but you can't hide," he said.

Twitter will be legally required to fight disinformation in the EU from 25 August, he said, adding: "Our teams will be ready for enforcement."

Twitter has not confirmed its stance on the code or responded to a request for comment.
I'm surprised that Twitter did not respond -- I'd expect at least a 💩.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Things are going great at Twitter:
Twitter head of trust and safety Ella Irwin resigned Thursday evening, per multiple sources, after owner Elon Musk publicly rebuked his own staff over a content moderation decision.

Catch up quick: Twitter staff had decided that a video titled "What is a Woman?" by the Daily Wire's Matt Walsh, a far-right personality who often attacks transgender people, violated the platform's hate-speech rules.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TIL that Twitter still has (had?) a trust and safety department.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:40 pm TIL that Twitter still has (had?) a trust and safety department.

Ella Irwin

20+ years of experience building products, services and teams that protect consumers. Passionate about preventing bad actors and ensuring the products we use are safe and trusted.

Twitter Graphic
VP, Product - Trust and Safety
Twitter
Jun 2022 - Present1 year 1 month

Twilio Inc. Graphic
VP of Product - Consumer Trust
Twilio Inc.
Jan 2020 - May 2022 2 years 5 months
Seattle, Washington

Amazon Graphic
Director & GM, Marketplace Abuse Product Management
Amazon
Dec 2015 - Jan 2020 4 years 2 months
Greater Seattle Area

Google Graphic
Director, Global Trust And Policy , Ad Products
Google
Sep 2014 - Nov 2015 1 year 3 months
Mountain View, california

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:05 pm Things are going great at Twitter:
Twitter head of trust and safety Ella Irwin resigned Thursday evening, per multiple sources, after owner Elon Musk publicly rebuked his own staff over a content moderation decision.

Catch up quick: Twitter staff had decided that a video titled "What is a Woman?" by the Daily Wire's Matt Walsh, a far-right personality who often attacks transgender people, violated the platform's hate-speech rules.
Musk is promoting the hell out of it now.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Is Big Tech closing ranks?

Twitter CEO woos Google into partnership while dealing with Musk’s mess
Twitter CEO Linda Yaccarino has seemingly smoothed things over with Google after Twitter reportedly stopped paying its Google Cloud bills.

Sources familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal that Twitter has resumed payments to Google after "consistently" dodging bills that sometimes racked up to more than $20 million a month.

According to one source, Yaccarino hopped on a video call with Google Cloud's chief executive, Thomas Kurian, last week, hoping to set things straight between the two tech companies. Now, it appears that Yaccarino's management tactics were so effective that Google is weighing the benefits of forming "a broader partnership" with Twitter, possibly investing more in Twitter ads or paying to access Twitter data.

That could help Twitter recover as ad sales have continued plunging. Estimates from market intelligence firm Sensor Tower showed that year over year, Google's ad spending on Twitter in May was down by more than 90 percent, the WSJ reported.

Google told Ars that it does not comment on its customers.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The caged death match that the entire world wants...

Mark Zuckerberg is ready to fight Elon Musk in a cage match
Here we go.

After Elon Musk recently tweeted that he would be “up for a cage fight” with Zuckerberg, the Meta CEO shot back by posting a screenshot of Musk’s tweet with the caption “send me location.”

I’ve confirmed that Zuckerberg’s post on his Instagram account is, in fact, not a joke, which means the ball is now in Musk’s court. “The story speaks for itself,” Meta spokesperson Iska Saric told me.

After this story was published, Musk responded with two words: “Vegas Octagon.” He then tweeted: “I have this great move that I call ‘The Walrus,’ where I just lie on top of my opponent and do nothing.”