Social Media Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

Re: Social Media Discussion

Post by gilraen »

But wait...there's more!
Spoiler:
turns out the disabled Twitter employee who Elon publicly ridiculed for asking about the status of his employment sold his company to Twitter for ~$100 million, and the deal was structured in a way which requires payment for the entire deal upon his termination—whoops

Haraldur Þorleifsson, known as Halli, has garnered multiple Person of the Year Awards from various Icelandic media outlets, including from national broadcaster RÚV, Morgunblaðið, and Vísir.

Halli, a 45 year-old designer, gained nation-wide recognition this year when, after the sale of his tech company Ueno to Twitter, he chose to be paid the sale price as wages. Normally in such large sales, the payment comes in the form of stock or other financial instruments, which categorize the sale as capital gains, meaning it is taxed at a much lower rate. Halli, however, gladly paid the higher tax rate, having spoken publicly on many occasions about the benefits he has received from the Icelandic social system.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Down thread the author admits he has no idea how much is owed and Halli won't say but from the sound of it Ueno as a big deal and he won't back down.

https://www.globalnerdy.com/2023/03/07/ ... -laid-off/

If there was ever a chance a buying a TESLA before, it'd be gone today. This exchange boils down everything about the Donald Musk.
Stop worshipping Elon Musk. He’s not Tony Stark; he’s Justin Hammer.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:54 pm This would be legal trouble for Musk, wouldn't it?
One would think but he's slipped out of as nearly as many "slam dunk" legal entanglements as Donald Trump.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:54 pm This would be legal trouble for Musk, wouldn't it?
Add it to the pile.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:10 pm Down thread the author admits he has no idea how much is owed and Halli won't say but from the sound of it Ueno as a big deal and he won't back down.

If there was ever a chance a buying a TESLA before, it'd be gone today. This exchange boils down everything about the Donald Musk.
I really like my Tesla but there is 0% chance my next car will be a Tesla *IF* Musk is still in a role there.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

His role isn't quite as important as his 400+M shares.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I would think so, as he definitely has grounds for legal action. But Musk strikes me as someone who doesn't care one wit and will crush anyone he doesn't agree with. Talk about throwing someone under the bus.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:43 pm His role isn't quite as important as his 400+M shares.
At the rate he's 'fixing' Twitter, he's gonna need to further trim that stake...
malchior

Post by malchior »

What.A.Fucking.Moron. Guess he realized it wasn't worth a hundred million to stick it to the disabled man. Is anyone voluntarily still working at Twitter anymore?

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Really hope he's learning something from this, but that's probably asking too much from him. Moral of the story, don't judge a book by its cover. Wonder how his foot tastes now. Probably needs some BBQ sauce.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:51 pm What.A.Fucking.Moron. Guess he realized it wasn't worth a hundred million to stick it to the disabled man. Is anyone voluntarily still working at Twitter anymore?

Musk loving yes men who are happy to see Musk burn the infrastructure down as long as they get their checks? People taking advantage of the company?

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet."

:lol: :lol: OK that is probably the best thing I've read from him... Possibly ever... Keep it up for five years straight, and I might think there's a chance you can be reached.

I hope "considering" means weighing the most profitable and clean way to exit. That Musk doesn't even know who his "100 Million" employees are, just goes to show how much work he is doing when firing people while tweeting up a storm.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:04 am "Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet."

:lol: :lol:
Concur
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
malchior

Post by malchior »

Beyond Elon Musk clowning it up day and night, you know what is the great thing about Twitter now? The algo has apparently been tuned to ignore who I follow and instead serve me up content of angry young men fighting and what I can only assume are attempts to get me on side with a race war. Spoutible/Post/anything has a real market opportunity if they can just get people on-board. The novelty of watching it turn into Edgelord central is well past it's sell by date.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

:liar:

1) Why is that Tweet at his mother?

2) His cult is saying that the emerald mine thing is physically real but it's fake because it never really made money. :lol:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tweet you your mother

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Twitter 2.0 has finally sorted out all the confusion about what a blue checkmark actually means.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Twitter bird logo is now the Dogecoin logo on the Twitter website.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Probably an April Fools remnant. Having few workers, they probably forgot to switch it back.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:52 pm Probably an April Fools remnant. Having few workers, they probably forgot to switch it back.
More like they just got around to implementing it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:52 pm Probably an April Fools remnant. Having few workers, they probably forgot to switch it back.
Apparently it happened today as a result of the news that Musk is trying to get a $258B lawsuit relating to Dogecoin dismissed.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:29 pm The Twitter bird logo is now the Dogecoin logo on the Twitter website.
News broke recently that Musk is under investigation for manipulating Dogecoin crypto as a pyramid scheme.

Changing the Twitter bird to a Dogecoin dog produces viral stories to muddy search-engine results.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, the lows Musk will stoop to never ceases.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Between Elon painting white over the W in the Twitter office logo in SF so that it reads "Titter", to now calling himself "Harry Bōlz", Elon's having a real one this week.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:09 pm Between Elon painting white over the W in the Twitter office logo in SF so that it reads "Titter", to now calling himself "Harry Bōlz", Elon's having a real one this week.
He's an annoying juvenile with lots of money. And the world loves him.

Someone ask me again why I'm a bitter cynic.

MYT
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:35 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:10 pm Down thread the author admits he has no idea how much is owed and Halli won't say but from the sound of it Ueno as a big deal and he won't back down.

I really like my Tesla but there is 0% chance my next car will be a Tesla *IF* Musk is still in a role there.
There is no chance I will ever do anything that would put a dime in that asshat's pocket if I can possibly avoid it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The number of likes he gets for such inane tweets is just sad.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apparently being labeled as "state affiliated media" was the final straw:
NPR will no longer post fresh content to its 52 official Twitter feeds, citing the social media platform's decision to label NPR "state-affiliated media," the same term it uses for propaganda outlets in Russia, China and other autocratic countries.

The decision by Twitter last week took the public radio network off guard. When queried by NPR tech reporter Bobby Allyn, Twitter owner Elon Musk asked how NPR functioned. Musk allowed that he might have gotten it wrong.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This is the way. Twitter's success is due in large part to the ubiquity of breaking news from virtually all major outlets being available there. Alienate enough of them, and... trouble.

Or, I guess, more likely: alienate enough of them, and its transformation into a bubble of misinfo will continue apace.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Interestingly, it's a tactic they seem to be using around the world, as it's happening with Canada's CBC as well, labeling them as Government funded. I think the idea itself is sound, in that it's clearly labeling news sources to lessen misinformation, but it may be misguided in its approach. And I think it only serves to show just how much a lack of understanding there is on the whole leading to labeling them incorrectly. It does make me wonder what they would label Fox News as.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Has anyone noticed the chain of replies seems to be absent from tweets now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:49 pm It does make me wonder what they would label Fox News as.
"My precious."
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You have been wronged, WRONGED I say, and Facebook owes you money.

Story with link to claim form.

How much money? Potentially dollars! When? Someday, probably!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65332207
Twitter boss Elon Musk has threatened to sue Microsoft as he accused the technology giant of using data from his social media company without permission.

"They trained illegally using Twitter data. Lawsuit time," the multi-billionaire said in a tweet.

Mr Musk was responding to Microsoft's plan to remove Twitter from its corporate advertising platform.

He did not provide further details or evidence to support the claim.

Microsoft declined to comment when approached by the BBC on Thursday.

Earlier, the company said in a notice that its advertising platform would "no longer support Twitter" from Tuesday 25 April.
And while I was looking for a link...

https://chimniii.com/news/Personality/P ... -usd-.html
Billionaire businessman Elon Musk has sued Whoopi Goldberg and The View for $60 million, a move that has many people scratching their heads. Musk claims that the hosts of the talk shows have been fabricating information about him and his businesses, and he's had enough.

It's time to clear the air, Musk stated in a statement provided to the media. For far too long, The View has been propagating falsehoods about me and my companies.

They've tried to portray me as a villain, levelled unjustified accusations at me, and called into question my moral character. Okay, enough already.

In the complaint, which was submitted to a judge in Los Angeles, Goldberg and the other hosts are charged with making disparaging remarks about Musk and his businesses, including SpaceX and Tesla.

The View allegedly accused Musk of skimping on safety, abusing workers, and participating in unethical business practises, among other things.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This has an interesting bent though post Dominion win. Is The View considered a news source? If they can't prove the claims they made on TV about Musk's businesses, are they falsehoods? If so, can they be sued like Fox was sued?

I'm far from a lawyer...or a Fox News supporter. I'm just genuinely curious.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

According to Reuters, the story about Musk suing The View is satire.

Fact Check-Satire site behind online claims Elon Musk files Whoopi Goldberg lawsuit
A satirical story about Twitter CEO Elon Musk filing a lawsuit against Whoopi Goldberg, host of ABC’s “The View,” appears to have been taken seriously by some users online.

A tweet shared a headline that reads, “Elon Musk Files $60 Million Suit Against Whoopi and The View” (here).

A post on Facebook shared the same headline with the caption: “He has had enough of Whoopi’s nonsense. He’s going to make them pay” (here).

The story appears to originate from the website SpaceXMania (archive.ph/gft34) where it is explicitly labeled “satire.” The site includes a disclaimer that it “does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of its content” (spacexmania.com/disclaimer/).

The website has previously published satirical content that was misconstrued online, as reported by Reuters Fact Check (here).

The story has been reshared by other satirical websites, including on Dunning-Kruger-Times.com (archive.ph/pR7jG), a subsidiary of the “America’s Last Line of Defense” network. The About Us section explicitly states its contents are “parody, satire, and tomfoolery” (dunning-kruger-times.com/29-2/).

Representatives for Musk and Goldberg’s daytime show The View on ABC did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:58 am This has an interesting bent though post Dominion win. Is The View considered a news source? If they can't prove the claims they made on TV about Musk's businesses, are they falsehoods? If so, can they be sued like Fox was sued?

I'm far from a lawyer...or a Fox News supporter. I'm just genuinely curious.
You don't have to be considered a news source to defame someone. So yes they could if they met all the requirements of the law.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well shoot, I was waiting on a Musk/Whoopi fight. Mostly because it's just fun to say.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Legacy blue checks are gone.

Let the chaos begin.
Hodor.