PS4 - God of War 2018

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

pr0ner

Re: PS4 - God of War 2018

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:16 pm I hated that area! Thankfully it was completely optional :D
Heh. The 5 arenas leading up to the Valkyrie fight weren't too bad. The Valkyrie fight itself wasn't too bad either once I learned her patterns. But now I have to do 3 more "impossible" arenas, then the one at the top again and hope I get all gold to finish the area for the trophy? Oof.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Btw, aside from the Valkeries, I didn't find the combat to be all that difficult. Challenging, yes, but for the most part, once you figured out the attack patterns every different enemy had, it was pretty easy. More a matter of perseverance.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:47 pm Btw, aside from the Valkeries, I didn't find the combat to be all that difficult. Challenging, yes, but for the most part, once you figured out the attack patterns every different enemy had, it was pretty easy. More a matter of perseverance.
Yeah, if I die to someone other than a Valkyrie, it's due to my own stupidity more than anything else.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

From all the horror stories I read about Niflheim being difficult, it really isn't. It's a total grind, sure, but I only have 2 rift tears left to go (hopefully, unless there's another twist left) and I think I'll finish that realm. I can do an entire run of the realm (all bases and both outfields) in about 15 minutes. Crafting one of the Ivaldi armor sets pretty early on helped a ton.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:16 pm I hated that area! Thankfully it was completely optional :D
Finishing up Niflheim meant I was able to complete Muspelheim pretty easily, as I was up 2 whole levels by the time I returned. The final challenge in Muspelheim is a real nailbiter, though, as I think I killed the last enemy with just a couple of seconds to spare (you have to kill 70 enemies in 8 minutes to properly finish the realm).
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can’t stand the God of War series because I just don’t like pure combat games. But this? It’s amazing. It’s much more an exploration game than the previous entries. And the combat is actually something I look forward to with all the upgrades and what not.

And those graphics? They rival anything I’ve seen on my Xbox one x. :wub:
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:56 pm I can’t stand the God of War series because I just don’t like pure combat games. But this? It’s amazing. It’s much more an exploration game than the previous entries. And the combat is actually something I look forward to with all the upgrades and what not.

God of War's graphics are up there in the last gen's best graphics discussion. For me you have to have Spiderman, FF7 Remake and Last of Us 2 in that discussion as well. Playing Spiderman with the suit from the Cartoon is crazy because the suit makes the environment look even more realistic.
Last edited by Scraper on Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:20 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:56 pm I can’t stand the God of War series because I just don’t like pure combat games. But this? It’s amazing. It’s much more an exploration game than the previous entries. And the combat is actually something I look forward to with all the upgrades and what not.

God of War's graphics are up there in the last gen's best graphics discussion. For me you have to have Spiderman, FF7 Remake and Last of Us 2 in that discussion as well. Playing Spiderman with the suit from the Cartoon is crazy because the suit makes the environment look even more realistic.
Ghost of Tsushima tops all of those in the graphics department, imo.

I burned out on GoW pretty quickly the first time I tried it. I was used to the more solely action-focused games in the series, and wasn't crazy about the exploration aspect. Plus, I had just come off a Tomb Raider game, and it felt too similar. I've had it in my cart three times over the past couple months to replay, but haven't pulled the trigger. I really need to give it another shot at some point.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:52 am
Scraper wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:20 am

Ghost of Tsushima tops all of those in the graphics department, imo.

I burned out on GoW pretty quickly the first time I tried it. I was used to the more solely action-focused games in the series, and wasn't crazy about the exploration aspect. Plus, I had just come off a Tomb Raider game, and it felt too similar. I've had it in my cart three times over the past couple months to replay, but haven't pulled the trigger. I really need to give it another shot at some point.
I can't disagree there Ghost of Tsushima would definitely make the list.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just realized watching the opening credits that the main bad guy is played by Jeremy Davies (Dickie Bennet, from Justified).

Makes the game infinitely cooler. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I caught that almost immediately. He has such a distinctive voice.

“I feel...nothing!”
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dang this game has a lot of content. I’ve put in about 10 hours so far and I did a quick look at the level count. Turns out I’m about less than a third of the way through the game. :shock:

And that’s not even including the backtracking to get to areas and rifts I’m to weak/need other stuff. I wasn’t expecting that.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Having terrible console controller aim, I cannot for the life of me do those damn three bell puzzles quickly enough to unlock the chests.
wi111

Post by wi111 »

just finish the game recently . the console controller aim really bad for those puzzle,make it harder than it need to be. the combat really feel just right in normal difficulty. not too easy not too hard until most of the skill unlock. the AXE really feel better than blade.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd been commenting in the upcoming Ragnarok thread, so I'll just move it here.

I think I'm starting to warm up to the game a bit more. I still don't enjoy the puzzle-ish nature of trying to figure out how to do some of the things (open chests, advance through a level), but nothing has been too difficult. I'm also generally not a fan of games where you can see gated content that is only available after you unlock a skill or ability and then need to go back through the area again to get it.

All that said, I understand why people gush about the game. Unlike some of the earliest posts in this thread, the discussion between father and son is the highlight. Not only does it advance the plot, it reveals so much about them - how they interact with one another. I was a bit put off initially about having the son traveling around with me, but I've come to really enjoy it as part of the game play - definitely adds some interesting mechanics and improves the combat.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to finish, but it's definitely a better game than I gave it credit for elsewhere. Absolutely beautiful to look at on PC, too. I'm spoiling because of a plot element on a mountain elevator but I'd imagine anyone that's spent ~5 hours with the game has seen this.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Quite an exciting sequence.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
wi111

Post by wi111 »

the spoiler set piece above really are one of the highlight of the game.

just wonder for general how long will it take you guys to grind echo to open all three tears at Niflheim ?

i already grind for 5+ hours still working on fully upgrade the mist armor set. form the amount of echo needed look like it will take a while to open all tears which i may not have the patient to do it.

for Muspelheim arenas some of them are quite fun. but some of them are really annoy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:52 pm I'd been commenting in the upcoming Ragnarok thread, so I'll just move it here.

I think I'm starting to warm up to the game a bit more.
The game has some of the most jaw dropping huge monsters and cut scenes I've ever come across in a game.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And they all feel rather seemless with the gameplay. You can never tell when a cutscene and gameplay begins because it's all so fluidly done. I keep feeling like they should maybe do a God of War movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MovieWeb
Following many, many years of waiting, a God of War adaptation is now officially in the works, courtesy of Amazon. Speaking at a recent Sony Business Briefing, company president Jim Ryan revealed (via Twitter user David Gibson) that God of War will become a series set to be released on Amazon Prime Video and that it will finally bring the Kratos saga to screens.
It's almost as if people are the problem.