Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Shootings

Post by Carpet_pissr »

9 teens shot in mass shooting here on Saturday, 2 others injured as a result, didn’t even make news beyond local as far as I can tell. That says a lot about where we are.

“Fully automatic weapons being shot, well over 50 rounds that were shot...They just shot indiscriminately into a crowd of people."

Imagine that NOT making the national news 20 (10?) years ago.

Shooters already out on bond which I don’t even comprehend.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:28 am Shooters already out on bond which I don’t even comprehend.
How is that possible?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:28 am 9 teens shot in mass shooting here on Saturday, 2 others injured as a result, didn’t even make news beyond local as far as I can tell. That says a lot about where we are.

“Fully automatic weapons being shot, well over 50 rounds that were shot...They just shot indiscriminately into a crowd of people."

It made it up to Greenville - not sure it made it out for the state though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:56 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:28 am Shooters already out on bond which I don’t even comprehend.
How is that possible?
I really don’t know, the sheriff is blaming magistrate court judges apparently and calling on state legislators to step in to fix whatever allowed it to happen:

“According to Lott, both men were caught leaving the scene of the shooting in possession of drugs and threw guns out of their vehicle while initially refusing to stop for deputies' lights and sirens.

Both were released hours after being arrested, Fulwiley on a personal recognizance bond and Kelly on a $10,000 bond.

According to Lott, Kelly was arrested on illegal gun possession charges March 1 and April 16 and released on bond both times. He awaits trial on those charges as well as those related to Saturday's shooting. “
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:16 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:49 pm - force police funding to address mental health issues (or defund them to reappropriate funds for an entity that does)
In whatever places that actually did any defunding of police, did they follow the second half of that idea and use the defunding to set up appropriate resources to handle the things the police were not supposed to need to handle any more?

Somehow, I'm picturing it more like:
Step 1: defund the police
Step 2: reallocate money to something totally unrelated (like my main campaign contributor's business).
You will have to go on 'picturing it', as no one has ever even tried.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote:
Unagi wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:49 pm - force police funding to address mental health issues (or defund them to reappropriate funds for an entity that does)
In whatever places that actually did any defunding of police, did they follow the second half of that idea and use the defunding to set up appropriate resources to handle the things the police were not supposed to need to handle any more?

Step 2: reallocate money to something totally unrelated (like my main campaign contributor's business).
The tax cut Cult has ensured that EVERY place has defunded the police, as well as everything else...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:34 am

Not true.

CNN

Vice
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

Right - some cities did it and some outlets will tell you it worked well. That doesn't reflect what happened in the vast majority of places -- likely 90-95% of jurisdictions based on spend -- because if your local police are against it, the odds are that efforts to change their behavior or responsibilities will fail. In most places, they can place significant pressure on pols to veto efforts to rein in their abuses.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:07 am
Unagi wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:34 am

Not true.

CNN

Vice
I'm happily excited by my ignorance! Thanks for the (somewhat nice) news.
To be honest, when I wrote that -- in the back of my head I actually feel like I had heard of the Eugene program ages ago, but it wasn't in my frontal lobe.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

stessier wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:58 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:28 am 9 teens shot in mass shooting here on Saturday, 2 others injured as a result, didn’t even make news beyond local as far as I can tell. That says a lot about where we are.

It made it up to Greenville - not sure it made it out for the state though.
Needs to be in a blue state to make it into Fox News.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm putting this here because it's related to shootings:

In case you're wondering how things are going in Texas, our district canceled all sex ed classes this year but is now required to offer kids training in bleeding control techniques, including "tourniquets approved for use in battlefield trauma care by the armed forces."
Here's the Bill
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Honestly, it's almost funny... If you remove yourself from the planet and don't care anything about children, humans, or the future of our country - it's seriously hilarious.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:41 pm Honestly, it's almost funny... If you remove yourself from the planet and don't care anything about children, humans, or the future of our country - it's seriously hilarious.
It's something out of over the top science fiction dystopia satire. Want to know more?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:28 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:56 am
How is that possible?
I really don’t know, the sheriff is blaming magistrate court judges apparently and calling on state legislators to step in to fix whatever allowed it to happen:

“According to Lott, both men were caught leaving the scene of the shooting in possession of drugs and threw guns out of their vehicle while initially refusing to stop for deputies' lights and sirens.

Both were released hours after being arrested, Fulwiley on a personal recognizance bond and Kelly on a $10,000 bond.

According to Lott, Kelly was arrested on illegal gun possession charges March 1 and April 16 and released on bond both times. He awaits trial on those charges as well as those related to Saturday's shooting. “
Sounds like Chicago.

If they were indeed using fully automatic weapons, I'm going to assume they didn't have tax stamps. So that should be a federal felony with $250K/10 years max. Willng to bet they don't face federal charges.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Allen, TX

Enlarge Image
At least eight victims are dead after a shooting at an outlet mall in Allen, Texas.

The suspected gunman is also dead, according to authorities. The city's police chief said an officer heard the gunshots, found the shooter and "neutralized" them.
Allen Police Chief Brian Harvey said a member of his force who happened to already be on duty at the mall when the shooting broke out had killed the gunman. “We owe a debt of gratitude to the first responders that ran toward the gunfire and acted swiftly to neutralize the threat,” Self said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems to be the norm these days. If ya wanna die then instead of just killing yourself you gotta get your gun and go to the local mall or school. Shitheads. Off yourself at home instead. Less impressive.....still gets the job done.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's hard to care anymore. Each time this happens it just solidifies more and more that this country isn't a place I want to stay in.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

There's video of a heap of bodies circulating on Twitter, including a child, so be wary.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Texas wanted the wild west.

They've got the wild west.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, mass shootings in gun-happy states are barely newsworthy. It seems like there are 1-2 new ones every day, so unless they're somewhere near me or especially heinous they barely register. Just another day in America.
waitingtoconnect

There is an agenda here to get folk to say we need our own guns the government and cops can’t or won’t protect them.

Also it allows certainty militia groups aka brown shirts to get access to guns for the coming plans.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I am just without words. My mind is blank. :angry-cussingblack:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
malchior

Post by malchior »

Live Free and Die. The new motto of this hell-blasted nation.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:52 am Yeah, mass shootings in gun-happy states are barely newsworthy. It seems like there are 1-2 new ones every day, so unless they're somewhere near me or especially heinous they barely register. Just another day in America.
Same. News of a mass shooting is like news of sone particularly bad weather. Just a fact of life and the cost of doing business.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It amazes me the politicians enabling this still never fail to trot out the tired "thoughts and prayers" phrase. They are completely tone deaf to how phony and empty they sound. Fact of the matter is they simply don't give a shit.

Here in NC we recently had two cases of kids bringing guns to school within a week. Same week there was a threat against multiple school systems. These are not anomalies. The weapons and the threats are becoming regular occurrences, and the frequency is increasing. We can keep ducking our heads in the sand and pretending something's not wrong, but clearly things are escalating.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:43 am There is an agenda here to get folk to say we need our own guns the government and cops can’t or won’t protect them.

Also it allows certainty militia groups aka brown shirts to get access to guns for the coming plans.
Texas, where everyone claims to be a good guy with a gun. Where were all the self-proclaimed sheepdogs?

I think rhe experiment is not working.

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:35 pm Seems to be the norm these days. If ya wanna die then instead of just killing yourself you gotta get your gun and go to the local mall or school. Shitheads. Off yourself at home instead. Less impressive.....still gets the job done.
I've been saying it for a while. This is the new suicide in our egocentric, unhinged, gun-rich culture.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:52 am Yeah, mass shootings in gun-happy states are barely newsworthy. It seems like there are 1-2 new ones every day, so unless they're somewhere near me or especially heinous they barely register. Just another day in America.
The one Isgrimnur posted is ~15 miles from my house. It is a place my wife and I have gone shopping, though it has been a good bit.

All the more reason to never go anywhere.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah man, stay safe! :shock:
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:35 amHere in NC we recently had two cases of kids bringing guns to school within a week. Same week there was a threat against multiple school systems. These are not anomalies. The weapons and the threats are becoming regular occurrences, and the frequency is increasing. We can keep ducking our heads in the sand and pretending something's not wrong, but clearly things are escalating.
That just means the market price for freedom in lives has gone up a bit. If we think of it as a market then it is just! We just need to remember their sacrifice for our freedom. Our holy and very decent oligarchs have declared that this is all a blessed exception to living in a culture of life!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The shooter's background: The gunman, who dressed in tactical gear, has been identified as 33-year-old Mauricio Garcia, a senior law enforcement source told CNN. Garcia had been living in some kind of temporary housing in the Dallas area, the source said. He used to work as a security guard and had received firearms training in that role, according to an official database.
Potential extremist ties: Authorities are investigating whether the shooter was motivated by right-wing extremism, a senior law enforcement source said. Authorities have not zeroed in on a specific motive, but the source said the shooter was found with an insignia on his clothing that read "RWDS" — an acronym known to watch groups — potentially standing for "Right Wing Death Squad." He also had an extensive social media presence that included neo-Nazi and White supremacist-related posts, according to the official.
Garcia was approved to work as a commissioned security guard in Texas from April 2016 until April 2020, when his license expired, according to the Texas Online Private Security database, maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

An example of the rising number of white nationalists in the Latino community.
waitingtoconnect

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:58 am
waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:43 am There is an agenda here to get folk to say we need our own guns the government and cops can’t or won’t protect them.

Texas, where everyone claims to be a good guy with a gun. Where were all the self-proclaimed sheepdogs?

I think rhe experiment is not working.

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:35 pm Seems to be the norm these days. If ya wanna die then instead of just killing yourself you gotta get your gun and go to the local mall or school. Shitheads. Off yourself at home instead. Less impressive.....still gets the job done.
I've been saying it for a while. This is the new suicide in our egocentric, unhinged, gun-rich culture.
Gun ownership is going up as blacks in particular start arming themselves in the wake of hate crimes. The powder keg that’s being built here is very concerning.

Since sandy hook in 2012 there are 20 million new gun owners. That’s almost 10% of the adult population.
https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... k-shooting

Of course much gun control is really about stopping black people getting guns. in California when Reagan was governor it was legal to carry a rifle anywhere, so the Black Panthers showed up at the state capitol carrying rifles. Reagan and the legislature promptly freaked out and immediately passed gun control laws.

The upshot: Open carry is fine for white folks, but the second a black guy starts to open carry, fuhgeddaboudit!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's a people problem but because guns are exceptional force multipliers, we need to address the guns.

One crazy person can do x. One crazy person with a rifle can do 10x or 100x with little to no training.

MYT
waitingtoconnect

As we saw in Texas the other day where 8 are shot dead before a cop who is on the scene can react. But good guys with guns and all that.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Their counter-argument is that if the bank tellers had guns and every customer in the bank had a gun, this would have been stopped in a heartbeat.

What they can't comprehend is that not everyone is a gun nut like they are. Some people don't know how to fire a gun, don't want to fire a gun, and don't have an insatiable bloodthirst to kill someone.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:48 am Their counter-argument is that if the bank tellers had guns and every customer in the bank had a gun, this would have been stopped in a heartbeat.

What they can't comprehend is that not everyone is a gun nut like they are. Some people don't know how to fire a gun, don't want to fire a gun, and don't have an insatiable bloodthirst to kill someone.
Even if the entire bank and all the customers were willingly and enthusiastically armed, I wouldn't want to be in that bank when the shooting started.

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:19 am
The one Isgrimnur posted is ~15 miles from my house. It is a place my wife and I have gone shopping, though it has been a good bit.

All the more reason to never go anywhere.
After the shooting in Allen, there were threats made on social media about the schools. I dropped the kids off this morning but apparently we are the thoughtless parents. Only like 10% of kids showed up today in both the middle and high school.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:58 am Even if the entire bank and all the customers were willingly and enthusiastically armed, I wouldn't want to be in that bank when the shooting started.
Or when someone was told that their deposit didn't clear. Or a check bounced.

Every time someone gets irritated and swears at an employee, imagine that person with a gun. Now imagine that the person standing next to them who tells them to cool it also has a gun.

This isn't the recipe for stopping shootings, this is the recipe for starting them, and it is the recipe for turning arguments into old west shoot-outs.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:35 am This isn't the recipe for stopping shootings, this is the recipe for starting them, and it is the recipe for turning arguments into old west shoot-outs.
Seriously. Sure, there's going to be a few stories about how a situation was made slightly less-terrible by a random person that was armed and stopped an active shooter. But soon enough, I'm guessing we're going to be reading about all kinds of additional accidental shootings when people just start blasting at anyone when gunfire starts.

America.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Also of note - we have only a few active shooters stopped by anyone but the police. In Colorado they were unarmed. We still haven't seen good guys with a gun yet. Then we're told the reason to get a gun is the police aren't always available. It's fairly circular illogic.