Post by Jaymann »

They are the nine...eleven deniers. :ninja:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Re: LOTR TV series @ Amazon

Post by Carpet_pissr »

When Gandalf hurricaned the Sauron seekers, I assumed those were or related to Nazgûl. Esp since it made a point of showing them in skeletal form as they were getting their haughty butts kicked.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:05 pm When Gandalf hurricaned the Sauron seekers, I assumed those were or related to Nazgûl. Esp since it made a point of showing them in skeletal form as they were getting their haughty butts kicked.
??
I mean, whaaaa?

The Nazgul are the Ringwraiths, the Nine Riders, the 9 men who took the Rings of Power that were made for mortal men.

They aren't also 3 rando women.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I had thought they were connected to the Ringwraiths as well - until I saw they were all women. However, in the penultimate episode, they made a noise that was the same or similar to the screeching that the Ringwraiths did in the LotR movies.

Unless I'm hallucinating all this, then never mind. So maybe they were proto-Wraiths in the same way that we might be looking at proto-Gandalf.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, Wraiths maybe... hmm..
hey - wait, I thought you said wights.

But yeah, I hear ya.
It could be said that they were the same 'thing' and that when the 9 were created, they were turned into similar beings. Like maybe the 3 queens that were turned by Sauron in another world entirely - a vanguard to his arrival.

And - yeah - that noise that was made is certainly a 'sound of Sauron'. Hello, Darkness.

When we first saw them, I sorta felt they were some Tolkienized version of 'the Fates', but I think that's not likely now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Minor request - could we get the title of the first post changed to reflect the real title? It makes it a little hard to find.

I finished it the other day, and, Tolkien nerd that I am, I really enjoyed it. Yeah, they're fiddling with the canon a bit, adding a few female characters (because Tolkien didn't really do female characters), adding minor plots, changing the order of things, and massively condensing timelines (there were things suggested as happening were a thousand years early. Other things were a couple of thousand.) But unlike the Lord of the Rings storyline, this was based (for the most part), on a section of the book that was just a few pages long and painted with very broad strokes, covering a much greater time period than this does. It also wasn't written to convey a story or plot, just to fill in past events. Where Wheel of Time is handling two massive novels per season, Rings of Power is fleshing out a few paragraphs per season! And remember, they can't use anything in other books, including the Silmarillion. I assume that they have some flexibility to use a few things from the books proper, like characters and place names.

But the show was fun, more so than I expected (I honestly dreaded five season of elves discussing important matters in front of a scenic backdrop.)

A few comments on the Star Man.
Spoiler:
All we know is that he's an Istar, and that he showed up early (and apparently missed the boat he was supposed to arrive on with the other wizards.) That narrows it down to three possible characters: Gandalf, Saruman, and Radagast.

Yes, there are five Istari. Alatar and Pallando (the two blue wizards) would be fun to work with, but they don't occur anywhere in the material that Amazon has the rights to. They exist only in Tokien's published unfinished writings.

It is unlikely that it is Radagast. It just wouldn't make sense to use that particular character for this story.

Saruman is possible. Saruman was a good guy for thousands of years, as much a good guy as Gandalf, until he became obsessed with Sauron, and eventually fell under his sway due to his misuse of the Palantir. I think giving his character more depth by showing who he was before he fell would be great storytelling.

But it's Gandalf, almost certainly. He's the known character that most viewers will be excited about. The other two are established in the non-readers' minds as a villain and a goofball. Gandalf always had a connection with hobbits. And he uses Gandalf's own quotes:

Stranger:
"When in doubt, Elanor Brandyfoot, always follow your nose"
Gandalf:
"If in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose"

It's probably the clearest non-reveal out there.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Please change the thread title to Wheel of Time Knockoff @ Amazon.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If this is the Wheel of Time knockoff, then what's Wheel of Time?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

A knockoff of Fast and Furious.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:03 pm If this is the Wheel of Time knockoff, then what's Wheel of Time?
A Xena knockoff.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:03 pm If this is the Wheel of Time knockoff, then what's Wheel of Time?
A Xena knockoff.
Just another clone of the Illiad.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Iliad is just a knockoff of that Brad Pitt film, Troy.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:38 pm The Iliad is just a knockoff of that Brad Pitt film, Troy.
World War Z is just a knockoff of Starship Troopers.

And don't call me Troy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:11 pm Minor request - could we get the title of the first post changed to reflect the real title? It makes it a little hard to find.

I finished it the other day, and, Tolkien nerd that I am, I really enjoyed it. Yeah, they're fiddling with the canon a bit, adding a few female characters (because Tolkien didn't really do female characters), adding minor plots, changing the order of things, and massively condensing timelines (there were things suggested as happening were a thousand years early. Other things were a couple of thousand.) But unlike the Lord of the Rings storyline, this was based (for the most part), on a section of the book that was just a few pages long and painted with very broad strokes, covering a much greater time period than this does. It also wasn't written to convey a story or plot, just to fill in past events. Where Wheel of Time is handling two massive novels per season, Rings of Power is fleshing out a few paragraphs per season! And remember, they can't use anything in other books, including the Silmarillion. I assume that they have some flexibility to use a few things from the books proper, like characters and place names.

But the show was fun, more so than I expected (I honestly dreaded five season of elves discussing important matters in front of a scenic backdrop.)

Spoiler:
All we know is that he's an Istar, and that he showed up early (and apparently missed the boat he was supposed to arrive on with the other wizards.) That narrows it down to three possible characters: Gandalf, Saruman, and Radagast.

Yes, there are five Istari. Alatar and Pallando (the two blue wizards) would be fun to work with, but they don't occur anywhere in the material that Amazon has the rights to. They exist only in Tokien's published unfinished writings.

It is unlikely that it is Radagast. It just wouldn't make sense to use that particular character for this story.

Saruman is possible. Saruman was a good guy for thousands of years, as much a good guy as Gandalf, until he became obsessed with Sauron, and eventually fell under his sway due to his misuse of the Palantir. I think giving his character more depth by showing who he was before he fell would be great storytelling.

But it's Gandalf, almost certainly. He's the known character that most viewers will be excited about. The other two are established in the non-readers' minds as a villain and a goofball. Gandalf always had a connection with hobbits. And he uses Gandalf's own quotes:

Stranger:
Gandalf:

I just started the first 2 episodes tonight and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to watching the rest over the next few weeks (I'm not a binge watcher).
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:37 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:38 pm The Iliad is just a knockoff of that Brad Pitt film, Troy.

And don't call me Troy.
The copyright lawyers representing Mr. Gilgamesh would like a word…
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:45 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:37 pm

And don't call me Troy.
The copyright lawyers representing Mr. Gilgamesh would like a word…
What's funny is that Tolkien's LOTR first appeared in the USA (and won the love of the hippies) in a pirated unauthorized edition from Ace Books. Those of us who read LOTR in later-published authorized editions were treated to a bitchy introductory note in which JRRT complains about this.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finally remembered to watch the last few episodes this week. As is often the case for me, I was enjoying it, got distracted by something shiny and never got around to finishing it (until now). I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next season. And I might have a bit of a crush on Young Galadriel.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure why the alt-right folks hate the show so much. Sure, it's got elves that aren't white and women who aren't just in the background, but they have to love Sauron. He's a good guy, trying to do the right thing, but then he's jilted by a woman who doesn't know her place by his side (and perhaps one step back). He's one of them!

Sauron is an incel. :coffee:
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:11 pm
Spoiler:

Stranger:
Gandalf:

+1
Spoiler:
I do hope that they introduce Saruman at some point as well, though. Portraying him as a good and wise character who surpasses even Gandalf would serve to frame his fall in the 3rd Age as a tragedy.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:21 pm And I might have a bit of a crush on Young Galadriel.
I was absolutely enraptured by the actress. Like...distractedly beautiful. I've been told she has the looks of someone that is Welsh but I can't say I've ever noticed something like that before. I absolutely believed she was an Elf.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:21 pm
Spoiler:
I'm not sure why the alt-right folks hate the show so much. Sure, it's got elves that aren't white and women who aren't just in the background, but they have to love Sauron. He's a good guy, trying to do the right thing, but then he's jilted by a woman who doesn't know her place by his side (and perhaps one step back). He's one of them!

Sauron is an incel. :coffee:
There are, canonically, three different races (subraces? subspecies?) of elves in Middle Earth. Unlike Wheel of Time, this one isn't really contradicting anything meaningful at all. People need to get the phlumph over it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:12 pm I've been told she has the looks of someone that is Welsh but I can't say I've ever noticed something like that before.
Hmm yes I see the resemblance....
Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Counterpoint:

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Got those concave Welsh shins.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg