What's the weird thing about your city/state/region that only the locals get?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

Re: What's the weird thing about your city/state/region that only the locals get?

Post by tgb »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:25 pm
It consists of a hot dog that is wrapped in bacon and grilled, served on a bolillo-style hot dog bun, and topped with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, and a variety of additional condiments, often including mayonnaise, mustard, and jalapeño salsa.
'>hurk<
They forgot the guacamole. The best part is the bun.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
DD*

Re: What's the weird thing about your city/state/region that only the locals get?

Post by DD* »

killbot737 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:49 pm Lafayette vs. American!
This is a non-issue, as obviously Lafayette is the best.

Also, the Michigan left turn.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 pm
Sectoid wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:22 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:03 pm Jughandles and not pumping your own gas. Also pork roll. It is amazing. That it isn't widely available elsewhere is a national crime.
It is Taylor ham, you savage!
Haha. I use them interchangeably personally. I grew up in the Taylor Ham region of NJ but have resided in the Pork Roll region for over a decade now. Though I tend to use Taylor Ham when I am eating the branded variety.
I'm from Bergen County. It is Taylor Ham regardless of brand. Most times, if you are getting it from a Bagel place, diner, or breakfast joint, they list it on the menu as Taylor Ham. Don't really get the controversy either. Trenton does have a Pork Roll Festival, though.
And, BTW, you can get it in Florida because 90% of the population of Florida is from either NJ or NY.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sectoid wrote:
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 pm
Sectoid wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:22 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:03 pm Jughandles and not pumping your own gas. Also pork roll. It is amazing. That it isn't widely available elsewhere is a national crime.
It is Taylor ham, you savage!
Haha. I use them interchangeably personally. I grew up in the Taylor Ham region of NJ but have resided in the Pork Roll region for over a decade now. Though I tend to use Taylor Ham when I am eating the branded variety.
I'm from Bergen County. It is Taylor Ham regardless of brand. Most times, if you are getting it from a Bagel place, diner, or breakfast joint, they list it on the menu as Taylor Ham. Don't really get the controversy either. Trenton does have a Pork Roll Festival, though.
And, BTW, you can get it in Florida because 90% of the population of Florida is from either NJ or NY.
Hey Sectoid, I lived in Bergen County from the age of 6 till my college years (70s-80s). Grew up in Bergenfield. Where did you live if I may ask?

Having learned to drive in NJ, jughandles and rotarys do not fill me with fear.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:40 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm And dibs.
I would assume it happens in every city with heavy snow and street parking. I'm told it somehow doesn't occur in New York.
Up in Maine our cities don't pussyfoot around. We cycle parking bans. We pick a side of the street that will be clear of cars and alternate it each day. No need for 'dibs' - the city plows the street for you and tows your lazy ass away if you don't follow the rules.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:15 am Hey Sectoid, I lived in Bergen County from the age of 6 till my college years (70s-80s). Grew up in Bergenfield. Where did you live if I may ask?

Having learned to drive in NJ, jughandles and rotarys do not fill me with fear.
I grew up in Wallington, Rutherford, and Garfield. Now I live in Montclair. Still haven't moved more than 10 miles from where I was born. Pathetic.
Model Mayhem # 641920
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Paingod wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 am
I would assume it happens in every city with heavy snow and street parking. I'm told it somehow doesn't occur in New York.
Up in Maine our cities don't pussyfoot around. We cycle parking bans. We pick a side of the street that will be clear of cars and alternate it each day. No need for 'dibs' - the city plows the street for you and tows your lazy ass away if you don't follow the rules.
That sounds like something a city with money to properly fund itself would do. Plus, factor in the size and vehicle density of Chicago, and it just doesn't work logistically.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:34 am
That sounds like something a city with money to properly fund itself would do. Plus, factor in the size and vehicle density of Chicago, and it just doesn't work logistically.
Alternate side has been in effect in NYC for ever. It is only suspended on some holidays and events. Hence, yet another reason to not own a car if you live in NYC.
Model Mayhem # 641920
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sectoid wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:54 am
Alternate side has been in effect in NYC for ever. It is only suspended on some holidays and events. Hence, yet another reason to not own a car if you live in NYC.
Sure it works in NYC, but it's been there forever, as you noted. It's never been done in Chicago (outside of occasional street cleaning, but even then they mostly just ticket you and go around your car if you don't move - they don't often actually tow), so we're not set up to handle it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:15 pm
Sure it works in NYC, but it's been there forever, as you noted. It's never been done in Chicago (outside of occasional street cleaning, but even then they mostly just ticket you and go around your car if you don't move - they don't often actually tow), so we're not set up to handle it.
We'd fart around and ignore it too if the towing wasn't enforced. The city doesn't need to ask people to cooperate. The tow trucks ensure people cooperate. If they don't, they become a nice little revenue stream. If the city wants a little more cash, they might enjoy the towing fees.
Black Lives Matter

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Paingod wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:35 pm
We'd fart around and ignore it too if the towing wasn't enforced. The city doesn't need to ask people to cooperate. The tow trucks ensure people cooperate. If they don't, they become a nice little revenue stream. If the city wants a little more cash, they might enjoy the towing fees.
You assume that (1) the city has adequate towing capacity to handle such an endeavor, (2) there's enough parking capacity in Chicago to handle city-wide opposite side parking, and (3) those in power wouldn't be voted out if their constituents started getting towed when they couldn't find parking because there simply isn't enough of it.

If something seems on its face like a simple solution to a problem and it hasn't been done, it's worth thinking about why it hasn't been done.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

DD* wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 pm

I don't much care about either, specifically. I love me a coney and as long as it's a real coney that's all that matters. Don't slather some cheap chili on a ballpark and call it a coney dog. That's crap. Chili Cheese Fries used to be a SE Michigan thing but that spread, praise the pancake. I was shocked in the late 80s, when I started to travel on my own and not to find them everywhere. Same goes for Faygo before the Jugalo's happened. RocknRye is still the bestest. I had forgotten about how much I love RocknRye until I bought some on a whim and it was the pop I'd had in years.

I could list things for a long long while but one that caught by surprise is "Party Store" is not a universal concept.

Where do you get (incredibly over-rated) fudge?

And of course, there's Sandy

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:

Enlarge Image
There's a half dozen Meijer's in my stomping grounds, they all seem to have these.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:39 pm
Paingod wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:35 pm
You assume that (1) the city has adequate towing capacity to handle such an endeavor, (2) there's enough parking capacity in Chicago to handle city-wide opposite side parking, and (3) those in power wouldn't be voted out if their constituents started getting towed when they couldn't find parking because there simply isn't enough of it.

If something seems on its face like a simple solution to a problem and it hasn't been done, it's worth thinking about why it hasn't been done.
They can't find anywhere to put the snow. How are they going to find a place to put all the cars? Also, how are they going to tow in 2 feet of snow to clear away for the plows? Ass backwards.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You are ignoring the obvious. Revenue. Revenue trumps all logic and reason. My city has been cooking up BS ordinances for the past few years to increase revenue. May god have old testament judgement on my mayor's soul.
There is no hug button. Sad!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Few years? Your town actually admitted to paying for new municipal buildings by increasing tickets issued. That was over 10 years ago. Fucking Dearborn and Livonia.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/m ... hard-times
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 pm Few years? Your town actually admitted to paying for new municipal buildings by increasing tickets issued. That was over 10 years ago. Fucking Dearborn and Livonia.

How is that worse than Chicago outsourcing parking enforcement to a for-profit company that in return has incentive to write as many tickets as humanly possible?
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Hot Dish
Jucy Lucy [sic]
Meat Raffles

And lutefisk is so far beyond the pale it is inconceivable to most civilized people. We are just lucky that Surstromming never caught on here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thinking about it some more. This doesn't seem to be so much what's unique as what people visiting don't get.

What they don't get is that there is nothing here. There are houses with people in them who work at shops selling things to the other people in the houses. That's it. There isn't an industry, or a trade, or a factory, or transport, or an attraction, or a university that brings the people here, just a sort of perpetual motion machine that serves only to feed itself. 50 years ago there was a highway, and there was coal. The farming and the coal relied more on the railroad that goes through town. Now all of that is gone (or has wildly changed), and all that is left are the people with nothing actually driving the economy.

Of course, that means that nobody actually wants to live here except for the people old enough to remember the 'good old days', which makes it really cheap to live here. It's the only way I've been able to get by with two kids. I have a two-bedroom for a third (or less) of what a studio costs in a larger town.

Pros and cons, pros and cons. The town sucks, but I live better here than I would somewhere with actual *stuff* in it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:14 pm I'd have to go with the annual Azalea Festival which has been held in town every year since 1948. It takes place for a week every spring and consists of literally dozens of public and private events around town. Highlights include a parade, celebrities, concerts, garden tours, etc. It brings around 300,000 visitors, so it is considered a VERY BIG DEAL. However, I'm not sure anyone outside of NC would really understand all the hubbub over a flower.

Having grown up with it, I've gone from it being a highlight of my childhood, to casual indifference, to just wanting tourists to go the fuck away.
The city where I grew up (Norfolk, VA) has an Azalea Festival too. :P
Holland Michigan has an annual Tulip festival.
LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:48 pm
DD* wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 pm

I don't much care about either, specifically. I love me a coney and as long as it's a real coney that's all that matters. Don't slather some cheap chili on a ballpark and call it a coney dog. That's crap. Chili Cheese Fries used to be a SE Michigan thing but that spread, praise the pancake. I was shocked in the late 80s, when I started to travel on my own and not to find them everywhere. Same goes for Faygo before the Jugalo's happened. RocknRye is still the bestest. I had forgotten about how much I love RocknRye until I bought some on a whim and it was the pop I'd had in years.

I could list things for a long long while but one that caught by surprise is "Party Store" is not a universal concept.

Enlarge Image
Party Store is not a universal concept???

Sandy! (Loved that when I was little, kid did when she was little too).

We have pop in Michigan. First job, I had to spend 6 weeks in CT (they were moving corporate office to MI, but hadn't moved the department I was in yet). Asked where the pop machine was - one guy says "What? What's that?" The other informs him it's soda - they call it pop in MI. I guess I didn't drink a lot of pop when I was in AL/MS/KY (6-8th grade), or they called it pop, because I don't ever remember that being an issue there.

Never liked chili much so thought I wouldn't like Coney's. Was wrong about that and chili-cheese fries (with Ranch on top) is one of the best things I have ever learned about!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm
tgb wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:35 pm The Sonoran hot dog.

Enlarge Image
(Yes, there is really a hot dog under there somewhere).
I hope they get a new one, as someone apparently vomited on that one.
It's clearly an Abomination but I'd eat it.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:15 am
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm
tgb wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:35 pm The Sonoran hot dog.

Enlarge Image
(Yes, there is really a hot dog under there somewhere).
I hope they get a new one, as someone apparently vomited on that one.
It's clearly an Abomination but I'd eat it.
Made me think of an "all the way" Hot Dog from 5 Guys. I tried one once (just to try it) - left off mustard (don't care for mustard) but took everything else (lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions, mushrooms, cheese, ketchup, mayo, relish or pickles I think). It was good. Not as good as the burgers and not worth it for the price compared to the burgers, but I wouldn't turn it down if someone had an extra. Not that 5 Guys burgers are that awesome (their good, but other than the toppings available, nothing special). Just better than hot dogs for this sort of thing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 pm Few years? Your town actually admitted to paying for new municipal buildings by increasing tickets issued. That was over 10 years ago. Fucking Dearborn and Livonia.

How is that worse than Chicago outsourcing parking enforcement to a for-profit company that in return has incentive to write as many tickets as humanly possible?
Chicago got taken to the cleaners by professional bankers. All that money from tickets goes to them and their shareholders. At least the Michigan cities put their ill-gotten gains to use locally.

All we got was a short-term infusion of cash and bribes. For a 75-year contract.

And it's not just the loss of revenue or even the net loss created by payments for street closures send enforcement. For 75 years we'll have to answer to, and pay, Morgan Stanley every time we want to put in a BRT route or bike lane or do any kind of infrastructure improvement. That driverless cars future? We'll probably have to pay for the decrease in required parking.

Livonia and Dearborn are amateurs when it comes to fucking over their future. Up and comers but still not in our league.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:09 amWhat they don't get is that there is nothing here. There are houses with people in them who work at shops selling things to the other people in the houses. That's it.
*Something* must be bringing some level of income into the area. After a few passes, sales tax would remove all cash from the system and you'll be bartering.
Black Lives Matter

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:23 am
Holland Michigan has an annual Tulip festival.
They sure do and I saw an ad for it THIS MORNING! It's not until next May and they are promoting it already!

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Enlarge Image
I worked at the very last Little Meijer (just groceries) left in the chain up until it closed in the early 90's. People would get PISSED at us because we didn't have a Sandy at our store. Word got back to Fred Meijer and he sent people in to rearrange the front of the store to fit one in.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 am
Made me think of an "all the way" Hot Dog from 5 Guys. I tried one once (just to try it) - left off mustard (don't care for mustard) but took everything else (lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions, mushrooms, cheese, ketchup, mayo, relish or pickles I think). It was good. Not as good as the burgers and not worth it for the price compared to the burgers, but I wouldn't turn it down if someone had an extra. Not that 5 Guys burgers are that awesome (their good, but other than the toppings available, nothing special). Just better than hot dogs for this sort of thing.
At least 5 Guys dogs are grilled (the only correct way to cook a hot dog, btw). Sonoran dogs are closer to New York's Dirty Water Dogs, except with a bunch of crap on top that doesn't belong there. And FWIW, I happen to like the occasional dog from 5 Guys, which I get with nothing but mustard and relish, just as it says in the Constitution.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Is it kosher?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
mori

Post by mori »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:49 amIs it kosher?
They are:
All-beef Hebrew National Hotdog
tgb

Post by tgb »

mori wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:49 amIs it kosher?
They are:
All-beef Hebrew National Hotdog
The bacon sort of cancels that out.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was thinking about this today, and something came back to me that my sister (who has lived her entire life on the west coast) mentioned to me that stood out is that she's never seen so many old cars. I'm not talking classic autos, I'm talking about rusty 15+ year old beaters. Apparently she's used to people trading up to newer models every few years and the older ones quietly vanishing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And migrating inland.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:32 pm And migrating inland.
Or south of the border.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or Stockton, depending on which side of the continental divide your'e on.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That our area is so green? One constant from visitors to the area is that they express surprise at how green it is. To understand why that would be such a surprise, we have to go back to the 1800's. We were a city of pines with a heavy lumber industry, and even contributed a large amount of wood when it came time to rebuilding Chicago after their great fire. By the 1920's, there was discovery of nickel and copper deposits (due to us being in a meteor crater) and our entire industry shifted and we became a copper and nickel mining town. We had a burgeoning industry, supplying metals for WWII. Unfortunately, both early mining and smelting health and safety policies were practically non-existant, mostly because we didn't understand at the time how disastrous some of these practices could be to the environment and people. The smelting process would create clouds of sulfur, killing vegetation and blackening our landscape, and one could look at it today and think that there'd been a wildfire at one point. It wasn't until the 1970s that the government had issued environmental control orders to reduce emissions from these smelters, and then shortly, we'd get what would then be the tallest free-standing chimney in the world.

All this though, led to another thing, and one that it still gets a bad rap from due to misconceptions. In the 70's, astronauts Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmidtt visited the area. The misconception that keeps being repeated today is that they came here because our area resembled a moonscape, due to the damage that had been done earlier. But the real reason was that they came here, due to the meteor crater, was to explore the possibilities of rocks being similar to what they could find on the moon, and they wanted to study that in trying to understand what to expect before their mission.

So, now back to the original question. Many people still to this day believe that our landscape is still a) a barren blackened landscape or b) resembles a moonscape, so when they pass through the area, they express surprise at how green it actually is. And that's all thanks to a process of regreening the landscape that has gone on for the last 30 years and is still ongoing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So I suppose for Maryland, it has to be picking the steamed blue crabs, w/ the Old Bay seasoning (which happens to great on almost everything)? Or is that more widespread than I thought? That and the ridiculous Baltimore city / Dundalk type accent that I guess you could find in John Waters movies. (Not sure since I haven't really seen many Waters movies).

BTW - we have Pork Roll down here too. Had it as a kid and my parents still sometimes have it at their place. I still like it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Another odd thing my state has in it, me and my eldest stepson.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sectoid wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 am I'm from Bergen County. It is Taylor Ham regardless of brand. Most times, if you are getting it from a Bagel place, diner, or breakfast joint, they list it on the menu as Taylor Ham. Don't really get the controversy either. Trenton does have a Pork Roll Festival, though.
Right it is just one of those weird NJ linguistic things. Sort of like how there is an argument about whether central jersey exists. Also another thing for the thread. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Baroquen wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 am So I suppose for Maryland, it has to be picking the steamed blue crabs, w/ the Old Bay seasoning (which happens to great on almost everything)? Or is that more widespread than I thought?
Well, the Filipinos in Oklahoma seem to like blue crab. No idea about the Old Bay.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Baroquen wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 am So I suppose for Maryland, it has to be picking the steamed blue crabs, w/ the Old Bay seasoning (which happens to great on almost everything)? Or is that more widespread than I thought? That and the ridiculous Baltimore city / Dundalk type accent that I guess you could find in John Waters movies. (Not sure since I haven't really seen many Waters movies).

BTW - we have Pork Roll down here too. Had it as a kid and my parents still sometimes have it at their place. I still like it.
Old Bay is ubiquitous. My wife cooks her blue crabs in coconut milk, though. They are sold live in many of the Asian markets. For me, though, they are too tedious to eat. If I have to pull my own crab meat, I prefer snow or king.
Black Lives Matter
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

malchior wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 am
Sectoid wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 am I'm from Bergen County. It is Taylor Ham regardless of brand. Most times, if you are getting it from a Bagel place, diner, or breakfast joint, they list it on the menu as Taylor Ham. Don't really get the controversy either. Trenton does have a Pork Roll Festival, though.
Right it is just one of those weird NJ linguistic things. Sort of like how there is an argument about whether central jersey exists. Also another thing for the thread. :D
Another one is "Down the shore". We say that regardless of if you are going north, east, or south to get to your beach destination.
Model Mayhem # 641920