Harvey Weinstein (and assorted horrible people)... RIP career.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

Re: Harvey Weinstein (and assorted horrible people)... RIP career.

Post by Hrothgar »

Lorini wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:35 pm It really doesn't matter if they are cool or not. It's their sense of being entitled to harass women which is the problem. Or do more than just harass.
My point was those individuals I mentioned hadn't been accused of anything. I was objecting to HBA's blanket statement that has since been removed. I merely would have been particularly disappointed if there was a McCauley incident because he had such an impressive career. There's only been one accusation against an Oculus founder, Michael Antonov.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Culture can be changed, my goto example is smoking and how it went from prevalent to a small niche presence. I like to think we are seeing cultural change happening now. Every woman who comes forward with her story is helping to make it happen. The sense of entitlement is ingrained deeply in men so it's going to take time, but I think it can be changed.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm Culture can be changed, my goto example is smoking and how it went from prevalent to a small niche presence. I like to think we are seeing cultural change happening now. Every woman who comes forward with her story is helping to make it happen. The sense of entitlement is ingrained deeply in men so it's going to take time, but I think it can be changed.
What boggles my mind is that in my world, this change happened about 4 decades ago. It was the early '80's when I first had sexual harassment training and in my first management job, I had to do the right thing when an employee developed a crush on me. I simply cannot accept that this shit has been acceptable anywhere in a very, very long time.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, it’s been not acceptable for anyone that can’t get the company to pay for it to go away. For those that can, it appears to have been business as usual.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

As long as people in charge at every level in an organization, from bottom all the way to the top, 'accept' it then it's acceptable. Actual change is when it's not acceptable by anyone in charge of any level.

To use smoking again as an example, just because a smoker is told "You can't smoke in my house" does not mean that the culture has turned against smoking. That's because there are plenty of other places and people who tolerate it. The culture can only be said to have changed when the smoker can't go anywhere and have their smoking tolerated. In the case of smoking there will be designated smoking areas in some places, but the message is clear that no one wants it around. I doubt there would be designated harassment areas though.

If some mid level guy knows his boss won't give a crap about complaints, he's like the smoker who knows some people don't like the smoke but overall still most people(who matter) don't care. That's also why leaders have such a big influence on culture. If the guy at the top does it, then why be surprised when guys much lower down think it's okay?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm The video game industry is having a #metoo week.
Over the past day, multiple high-profile men in the video game industry have been accused of sexual assault. Many of the accusations are years old — in some cases, more than a decade — and they all point to a toxic environment where developers not only have to live with a constant fear of abuse, but also the significant professional and personal repercussions of outing their abusers.
and real life (and death) consequnces:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... -has-died/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From what I've heard, there was a lot of evidence and history backing up the accusations against that guy. I'm not sure that 'consequences' is the right word there.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:07 pm From what I've heard, there was a lot of evidence and history backing up the accusations against that guy. I'm not sure that 'consequences' is the right word there.
call it whatever then - i wasn't defending the guy, he sounded like a real piece of work

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:58 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:07 pm From what I've heard, there was a lot of evidence and history backing up the accusations against that guy. I'm not sure that 'consequences' is the right word there.
call it whatever then - i wasn't defending the guy, he sounded like a real piece of work
I honestly wasn't suggesting that you were (and yeah, he's nobody to defend.) It just doesn't seem like him offing himself is a consequence of either party's actions (and it wasn't entirely clear which one you were applying it to.) It isn't a consequence of assault, and it isn't a consequence of reporting assault.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It is an apparent consequence of his actions coming to light.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Him losing his job was a consequence. Him losing his reputation was a consequence. Were he convicted of a crime or sued in court, that's a consequence. They are things that are the direct result of committing sexual assault. Suicide is not a result of committing sexual assault. The consequences of the assault might have been factors, along with his mental issues, bad decisions, and things we're not aware of.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Huge #metoo consequence:
The state Gaming Control Board has filed a five-count complaint against Steve Wynn alleging sexual harassment of several female employees and violating state licensing suitability regulations.

Wynn could not be reached Monday, but has steadily denied ever harassing anyone in the 21 months since allegations were first disclosed in a Wall Street Journal story in January 2018.

Wynn, 77, is believed to be living in Florida.

The 23-page complaint, signed by Control Board Chairwoman Sandra Morgan and members Terry Johnson and Philip Katsaros on Monday, seeks a revocation of Wynn’s finding of suitability from the Nevada Gaming Commission that would likely prevent him from ever being licensed again by the state.

The commission has been asked to serve the complaint on Wynn, who will have 15 days to respond.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Two Bureau of Prisons guards were charged by a federal grand jury Tuesday with conspiracy and filing false records in connection with their actions the night Jeffrey Epstein died in prison, according to an indictment.

On that night, the indictment said, guards Tova Noel and Michael Thomas repeatedly failed to complete counts of prisoners on their watch in the specialized housing unit where Epstein was being held. They instead sat at their desks, browsed the internet and moved around the common area, the indictment said.

To mask the fact that they had allegedly neglected to complete the checks, the two guards signed false certifications saying they had performed their duties, according to the indictment.

The night Epstein died, no officer completed any count or round in the unit between 10:30 p.m. on August 9 and 6:30 a.m. August 10, at which time they discovered Epstein's body, the indictment says. Epstein "had committed suicide overnight while unobserved," according to the indictment.
CNN reported last week that at least one federal prison worker had been offered a plea deal, and that the plea deal negotiations between prosecutors and attorneys indicated forthcoming charges by the Department of Justice relating to Epstein's death.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I heard somebody say recently that Epstein didn't kill himself. :think:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And I downvote every meme and dump that throws it in there.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You're doing the Lord's work.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you kindly.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

People
Ari Behn, an author who married into Norway’s royal family and accused Kevin Spacey of groping him at a concert, died by suicide on Christmas Day. He was 47.
Behn was married to Princess Martha Louise of Norway, 48, for 14 years before officially divorcing in 2016. They share three daughters: Maud Angelica, 16, Leah Isadora, 14, and Emma Tallulah, 11.

In a statement issued Wednesday, Princess Martha Louise’s parents, King Harald and Queen Sonja, said Behn was “an important part of our family for many years, and we carry warm, fond memories of him,” according to The Independent.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Harvey Weinstein was found guilty of committing a criminal sex act in the first degree involving one woman and rape in the third degree involving another woman.

A New York jury acquitted the disgraced movie mogul on the more serious charges of predatory sexual assault involving the two women, Miriam Haley and Jessica Mann.

In doing so, jurors indicated that they did not find beyond a reasonable doubt that Weinstein had also raped Annabella Sciorra, another victim whose testimony prosecutors used in an attempt to establish Weinstein’s predatory behavior.
Jurors deliberated for 26.5 hours.

An earlier motion for a mistrial filed earlier this morning by the defense has been denied.
Sentencing guidelines for the charges against him are:
  • 10 years to life in prison for predatory sexual assault;
  • At least five years in prison for rape in the first degree;
  • Probation to four years in prison for rape in the third degree;
  • At least five years in prison for criminal sexual act in the first degree.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:56 pm People
Ari Behn, an author who married into Norway’s royal family and accused Kevin Spacey of groping him at a concert, died by suicide on Christmas Day. He was 47.
Behn was married to Princess Martha Louise of Norway, 48, for 14 years before officially divorcing in 2016. They share three daughters: Maud Angelica, 16, Leah Isadora, 14, and Emma Tallulah, 11.

In a statement issued Wednesday, Princess Martha Louise’s parents, King Harald and Queen Sonja, said Behn was “an important part of our family for many years, and we carry warm, fond memories of him,” according to The Independent.
Go watch Spacey's Christmas video he put out as a follow up to the one in 2018 ..so creepy.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Asking innocently: is this really just a slap on the wrist?

Weinstein (who is 68 years old in a few weeks) will receive a minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 29. Even if he doesn't actually need the walker he's been sporting, his health isn't good. He's got the money and the lawyers to delay things for a little while, but it seems pretty likely that he'll die in prison. He was sent to jail today (rather than back home) to await final sentencing.

In addition to his freedom, he's (rightly) losing the comforts of his wealth, status, and reputation. He'll never be respected again, and his name will go down in industry history as a scandal and a pariah. Hopefully more truths will come out about his behavior, adding nails to the coffin of his reputation. There will probably be civil suits as well, ideally distributing his wealth and assets out to his victims. He is also likely to face further criminal charges in Los Angeles.

It surely sucks that the ultra-rich can still play the game of expensive lawyers and easier punishments than the rest of us get, but in this case I think we can at least assume that Weinstein is finished.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Willing to bet he's not enjoying Rikers this evening.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My dad worked a major construction project there in the late 1990s or early 2000s and he said Rikers Island was Hell on Earth, for whatever that's worth.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
“Jen Aniston should be killed,” Weinstein wrote in an email on Oct. 31, 2017, in response to a reporter seeking comment about an untrue allegation that Weinstein had groped Aniston.
In October 2017, the National Enquirer reached out for comment from Weinstein’s then-rep Sallie Hofmeister, a crisis management expert he had hired shortly after the reports of sexual harassment and assault broke in the New York Times and New Yorker in October 2017.

The reporter wrote, “The National Enquirer intends to publish a story reporting Jennifer Aniston was sexually assaulted by Harvey Weinstein.”

The allegations are not true, according to Aniston’s rep.

“The National Enquirer claims are false. Jennifer has not been harassed or assaulted by Harvey,” Aniston rep Stephen Huvane told Variety via email on Tuesday afternoon.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:08 am He was sentenced to 23 years.
Not nearly enough for the likely total sum of his predations given what I've read, but it's a start.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Dogstar wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:13 am
Not nearly enough for the likely total sum of his predations given what I've read, but it's a start.
For reference, the maximum under the statute was 29 and the minimum was 5. He's 67 years old and in not great health.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

But he has that walker! Totally unfair!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's 67. Good behavior time off for New York is 1/3 max, so he will be 80+ when he's released.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:17 am
For reference, the maximum under the statute was 29 and the minimum was 5. He's 67 years old and in not great health.
Sorry -- I wasn't being critical of the sentence itself. I was referencing that over his entire career Weinstein has allegedly assaulted a lot of women. I also know that we don't sentence people for crimes of which they have neither been tried and convicted. Some justice is better than none.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dogstar wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:35 am
stessier wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:17 am
Sorry -- I wasn't being critical of the sentence itself. I was referencing that over his entire career Weinstein has allegedly assaulted a lot of women. I also know that we don't sentence people for crimes of which they have neither been tried and convicted. Some justice is better than none.
His crimes are heinous enough that there's no number which would ever really do full justice or make up for what he did in any real way. But 20+ years is a LONG time to spend in jail, and I think is sufficient for the most grievous crimes. Especially for someone at Weinstein's age.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is quite likely that this is a life sentence.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Given what Mr Fed has said about the prison health care system, I can't see how it isn't.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:41 pm It is quite likely that this is a life sentence.
But if so, not in a meaningful way.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How many threads/topics does this intersect? What do I win?
Disgraced movie producer and convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein tested positive for the coronavirus in a New York prison, according to published reports Sunday.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You don't say
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It's a good thing he already has it, otherwise they might have let him "out" to keep him from getting it. :doh:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'll quote Slayer for this headline

"Payback is a bitch motherfucker."
gf.me/u/zhnmhs