Hulu originals

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Hulu originals

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:11 pm But the dialogue is hilariously profane.
I’m in.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Vacation Friends 2

Enlarge Image
Marcus lands an all-expenses-paid trip to a Caribbean resort, and he and his wife, Emily, invite their uninhibited besties, Ron and Kyla. But when Kyla's incarcerated father is released from San Quentin and shows up, things get out of control.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:11 pm Dialogue. Also, I think you mean "Cinemax Raunchy".

There's actually very little nudity in the show. Everyone's wearing 37 layers of clothes at any one time, so when there's a sex scene it's almost always while people are still wearing their finery.

But the dialogue is hilariously profane.

edit: and shit, they just announced there won't be a season 4. Ah well, it did tell a full story in many ways.
We're close to the end of Season 2 of The Great and the wife has definitely come around on it.

...and yeah it is funny, with all the sex that is always happening you hardly ever see anything.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Then you've encountered Maxim. Easily one of the funnier characters in the show. They use him sparingly, but that's probably for the best.

He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:17 pm Then you've encountered Maxim. Easily one of the funnier characters in the show. They use him sparingly, but that's probably for the best.
Finished The Great and we really enjoyed it all the way through, once my wife got used to the depravity, that did let up somewhat over time. I do agree that Maxim turned out to be a shockingly meaningful character, though to be fair, pretty much every character but Catherine and maybe Elizabeth had a journey I did not see coming.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In a cast of standout supporting cast members, I would say Belinda Bromilow's Aunt Elizabeth, Adam Godley's Archbishop, Douglas Hodge's Velementov and Henry Meredith's Maxim were the MVPs.

But really, they all did a great job. I'm hoping to see more of those actors in other things soon.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For once I am unable to disagree with you.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

I thought Velementov was awful, especially next to everyone else who was so good.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

His emotional roller coaster ride through his health scare, his mid life crisis and his loss of the only job he was good at was well done, I thought. He really sold it.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Is that based on the book that was super thick?
If, so, I don't remember any details except that it took place a while ago, it was in Japan, and it had ninjas!
I do remember reading it a couple of times and enjoying it very much.
Hopefully they dont rush it.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ninjas…I hate ninjas. :snooty:
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Punisher wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:40 pm Is that based on the book that was super thick?
Yes, the James Clavell novel.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Punisher wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:40 pm Is that based on the book that was super thick?
If, so, I don't remember any details except that it took place a while ago, it was in Japan, and it had ninjas!
I do remember reading it a couple of times and enjoying it very much.
Hopefully they dont rush it.

Yup, same as the eighties Richard Chamberlain TV miniseries:
en.wikipedia.org wrote:Shōgun (upcoming TV series)
Shōgun is an upcoming American period drama television limited series based on the 1975 novel of the same name by James Clavell that is set to premiere on FX on Hulu. The novel was previously adapted into a 1980 television miniseries.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Reservation Dogs completed the 3rd and final season. It's worth a watch.
But while one might expect a series about the travails of two generations of Oklahoma reservation dwellers in the 2020s to be more explicitly political, it contains almost zero direct discussion of that history—a decision by the creators that gives the FX on Hulu show more emotional breadth and impact.

Instead, we see teens struggle with the need to escape to a wider world of opportunity (symbolized by California)—and with guilt over the suicide of one of their gang—while still exhibiting a youthful brio that makes their story, however harrowing, delightful to witness. We also survey the community's adults (whose own teen years are seen via flashback), doing their awkward best to help the youngsters around them, as they unite and separate over sex, drugs, and the competing urges to escape or stay rooted.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Just finished the 6 part series Catch-22. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Both funny, sad, and depressing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that adaptation. Methinks I need to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We really don't have a dedicated thread for Solar Opposites, eh? The Valentine's Day holiday special was just released; I watched it last night and it was enjoyable.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent, thanks for the heads up. I think it got better without Roland last season, so I'm in.
He won. Period.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Shogun comes out today. Anyone watched it yet?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:35 pm Shogun comes out today. Anyone watched it yet?
Debating on if I want to watch week to week, possibly forgetting about the details or just wait until it's done and binge it.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:35 pm Shogun comes out today. Anyone watched it yet?
Nope, but it's on my wishlist after reading some of the reviews. Jesus. 100% RT and 94% viewer rating.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Punisher wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:01 pm
Debating on if I want to watch week to week, possibly forgetting about the details or just wait until it's done and binge it.
I totally understand that. I've been watching Masters of the Air and sometimes I have to rewatch part of the previous episode because I feel like I missed something. I'll probably have to do the same here.

Hulu dropped two episodes last night. I watched the first. So far, it's great. It is something you have to pay attention to. Lot of subtitles (duh). They've set up a complex cast of characters quickly but have done it well. Just a short bit in they've set up multiple stories and multiple people. Getting some very Game of Thrones vibes (both in the game aspect and in the writing of the characters and why they behave as they do). There are a lot of characters to keep tabs on but they've done a nice job introducing them and making them memorable. Everything is well done. I won't spoil anything but if you have any interest in it at all It's a must watch. If you enjoyed Game of Thrones but don't really have interest in feudal Japan I would definitely give it a shot.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So far I’m enjoying Shogun. Even if they screwed up by not casting the great Ken Watanabe in the show. But it does have Nestor “Batmanuel is mired in much litigation” Carbonell. It’s a shame he isn’t in more things. Especially comedies.

One thing I noticed that may just be me, is that quite often there’s a soft blur to the edge of the screen. It’s more pronounced along the bottom edge. It’s like someone took Vaseline and applied a thin layer to the edge of the camera lens. I first noticed it in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix. Since then I’m seeing it elsewhere too.

Side note: I find it amusing that Disney Plus made a show with beheadings, people being boiled alive and hand jobs. What’s next, the animated version of Cannibal Holocaust?
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Where are my boots? :oops:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It doesn't stand out to me in any way. But this is Noah freakin' Hawley. Maker of the great Legion and Fargo. If anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt, it's him.
He won. Period.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Just finished watching the first two episodes. It was outstanding. It is a lot more political intrigue than action so I can imagine viewers going in expecting an action series will find it pretty slow going. Not that there was no action, but it’s more a period drama with action scenes. Definitely agree with @EvilHomer3k’s assessment:
EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:54 am So far, it's great. It is something you have to pay attention to. Lot of subtitles (duh). They've set up a complex cast of characters quickly but have done it well. Just a short bit in they've set up multiple stories and multiple people. Getting some very Game of Thrones vibes (both in the game aspect and in the writing of the characters and why they behave as they do). There are a lot of characters to keep tabs on but they've done a nice job introducing them and making them memorable.
They did a great job with the costumes and the sets. The some of the CG isn’t the best though — for example when they’re trying to show overhead wide-view shots of Samurai-era Osaka it looks okay, but not real convincing.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How is Keanu Reeves so consistently the coolest guy in Hollywood? This 4 part series about the 2009 F1 season is good, but is made great by Keanu's interviewing style.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:54 am It is something you have to pay attention to. Lot of subtitles (duh).
Kind of funny that the Japanese is subtitled, but the Portuguese is them speaking English. :think:
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Moliere wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:49 am
EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:54 am It is something you have to pay attention to. Lot of subtitles (duh).
Kind of funny that the Japanese is subtitled, but the Portuguese is them speaking English. :think:
Yeah, that's amusing. I don't know for sure but I think that the japanese would lose a bit of the feel if they spoke english. I don't feel that way for portuguese, though. It also makes it easier to watch for people who speak english.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:15 pm

It doesn't stand out to me in any way. But this is Noah freakin' Hawley. Maker of the great Legion and Fargo. If anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt, it's him.
the trailer feels AI generated, and what's with heavy glamour makeup
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As I said, I wasn't impressed. But this is Noah Hawley. His reputation is stellar when it comes to television (movies, not so much).
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Shogun is fantastic for people wanting to learn new and exciting insults. I personally cannot wait to greet someone with
Spoiler:
You milk dribbling fuck smear
I may even just use it when talking to family.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Man, timing is really everything. Boy twin over-poured milk for dinner last night and spilled a bit. If only I had read this thread beforehand I would have had the perfect line for him!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:12 am Man, timing is really everything. Boy twin over-poured milk for dinner last night and spilled a bit. If only I had read this thread beforehand I would have had the perfect line for him!
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can save it for his birthday card.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Too Funny To Fail: A Hulu Original Documentary
It had all the makings of a huge television success: a white-hot comic at the helm, a coveted primetime slot, and a pantheon of future comedy legends in the cast and crew. So why did The Dana Carvey Show – with a writers’ room and cast including then unknowns Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, Louis C.K., Robert Smigel, Charlie Kaufman, and more – crash and burn so spectacularly?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I’ve watched the first nine episodes of Shogun. Finale drops next week. The show has been amazing, every single episode is riveting.

The end of ep 9… man.