Hulu originals

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Re: Hulu originals

Post by Punisher »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:54 pm I’ve watched the first nine episodes of Shogun. Finale drops next week. The show has been amazing, every single episode is riveting.

The end of ep 9… man.
I'm waiting until the finale drops to start watching it.
I'm too used to netflix although they screwed my over with Delicious in Dungeon and made that a weekly thing.
I stopped watching it several episodes back and waiting for that to end.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

naednek wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:15 pm

It doesn't stand out to me in any way. But this is Noah freakin' Hawley. Maker of the great Legion and Fargo. If anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt, it's him.
the trailer feels AI generated, and what's with heavy glamour makeup
That was a weird trailer. These people should be freaking out, but the commentary is so deadpan. That made no sense.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Grifman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:02 am
naednek wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:15 pm

It doesn't stand out to me in any way. But this is Noah freakin' Hawley. Maker of the great Legion and Fargo. If anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt, it's him.
the trailer feels AI generated, and what's with heavy glamour makeup
That was a weird trailer. These people should be freaking out, but the commentary is so deadpan. That made no sense.
On mute it’s a great trailer but I agree that the spoken delivery sucks. Maybe they’re all synths? But because of Hawley I won’t prejudge the series and if it sucks it’s not like there’s nothing else to watch out there.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, if it wasn't Hawley behind it, I probably would have been turned off somewhat by that trailer.

But Fargo and Legion are so damn great, I'm betting there's a reason for the weirdness of that trailer.

He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:54 pm I’ve watched the first nine episodes of Shogun. Finale drops next week. The show has been amazing, every single episode is riveting.

The end of ep 9… man.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ha, I saw that tweet. Perfect.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I just finished, and while I Iiked it, and the production values were great, I much preferred the story arc of the original series, which hewed much more closely to the book. While I understand the desire to give more time to the Japanese side, I think something was lost in doing this. The original showed much more about Blackthorn’s attempt to understand Japanese culture and his attempts to fit in.

In addition, I much prefer the actress in the original version’s potential of Mariko. She is not a cold and desiring to die woman as in the new version - she is warm and charming, and often times finds humor in Anjin-San. In addition the romance between her and Blackthorne is much more developed and deeper than in this version of Shogun.

Anyway, that is my take from seeing the original and reading the book.
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Having never read the book and having only seen the original mini series once, decades ago, does
Spoiler:
the book or the original mini series make Mariko so pivotal to Toranaga's plan? I felt she became the real main character of the show, and I can't recall if that was the case in the earlier version.
In any case, I enjoyed the heck out of the show, so I'd happily watch a second season.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:32 pm Having never read the book and having only seen the original mini series once, decades ago, does
Spoiler:
the book or the original mini series make Mariko so pivotal to Toranaga's plan? I felt she became the real main character of the show, and I can't recall if that was the case in the earlier version.
Yes, she still plays the same role. The overall tone lot is the same, just some of the details differ.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Grifman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:57 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:32 pm Having never read the book and having only seen the original mini series once, decades ago, does
Spoiler:
Yes, she still plays the same role. The overall tone lot is the same, just some of the details differ.
Spoiler:
John trying to perform seppuku to save the village after his ship was burned. I seem to recall that the book and first TV series had him doing that when the village was threatened if he didn't learn Japanese fast enough.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, got it. Thanks. Now, let's discuss a spin off series entirely focused on Nestor Carbonell as Rodrigues.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:39 am Ah, got it. Thanks. Now, let's discuss a spin off series entirely focused on Nestor Carbonell as Rodrigues.
Co-sign.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why Nestor Carbonell isn't a constant on TV and in movies is beyond me. The man is comedy gold who can also do serious stuff. His few moments in Shogun had me chuckling at times simply because of the way he would just read a line.

...oh...and of course

He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Buried in AppleTV on The Morning Show.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Finished Shogun and loved it even with all the reading. It helps that it wasn't during any rwal action scenes too often.
I remember living the book in high school but the only thing I remember is that there were ninjas in it.
I know I also saw the original and liked ot.
I guess it helps that I've always been interested in samurai and 🥷
If I ever hit the lottery I definitely want to go to Japan and I think Edo has a ninja village to visit.
Does anyone know how the current one compares to the book? Is episode 10 the actual end of the book or is there still a lot to go if they do another season?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thank god there were no ninjas in this adaptation. At least not the cliched portrayal I’ve come to loathe.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:07 pm Thank god there were no ninjas in this adaptation. At least not the cliched portrayal I’ve come to loathe.
Explain please because unless my brain is getting worse i remember seeing them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They weren’t the black clad, hood wearing acrobats with throwing stars and an incessant need to cross rooms via somersaults and rolls. They were just assassins.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:12 pm They weren’t the black clad, hood wearing acrobats with throwing stars and an incessant need to cross rooms via somersaults and rolls. They were just assassins.
Ahh..
Ok. I enjoy a good movie ninja though. Was totally obsessed with those 80s ones like revenge of the ninja and anything with Sho Kusugi.
They were navyish blue here, but did have hoods and looked like they did use shuriken in one scene but yeah not over the top.
Although to be fair if I COULD cross a room with somersaults and acrobatics I think I would do so all the time.
Need milk? Backflip, spin, combat roll to the fridge. Then do one of tjose trick flips where you hold an object in one hand bavk to the couch..
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve always believed that the portrayal of ninjas we see on tv and in movies is almost entirely an invention of those mediums. I suspect the truth is far less fantastical.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:19 pm I’ve always believed that the portrayal of ninjas we see on tv and in movies is almost entirely an invention of those mediums. I suspect the truth is far less fantastical.
IIRC they were a mix of assassins and spys with more of an emphasis on spying.
They did have a lot of the same tools.
Shuriken were primarily used for distraction not killing for example.
The movie version got me interested the real version, then samuri, then ancient japan. I aced that section in high school history.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just remember my high school buddy’s little brother buying nunchucks, and the resulting bruises he gave himself in his attempt to convince everyone he was a badass.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

You're supposed to start with the rubber practice chucks!
I'll admit I have the following
Ninja sword. Straight not curved
Knock off samuri swords.
Both look nice but because I'm in NJ they cant hsve sn edge so I could bludgeon someone but not cut them

I also have practice chucks, LOTs of shuriken, a ninja type grappling hook, 2 butterfly knives, a couple of kunai, and other misc ninja stuff including various books.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s always wise to be prepared for a sudden invasion by a Jersey based Shogunate.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:40 pm It’s always wise to be prepared for a sudden invasion by a Jersey based Shogunate.
Remember, movie or real, ninjas could be anywhere..
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

True. Hell, I’m writing this while wearing a black body suit.

…it’s a gimp outfit, but tomato tomahto.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'm assuming you have a black mask to so your heading in the right direction..
Hmmm.. new movie title.

Gimp ninjas from Toledo