CRITICAL URGENT PROBLEM

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

El Guapo

CRITICAL URGENT PROBLEM

Post by El Guapo »

I got a PM the other day from Newcastle inviting me to his WW game. Since then, despite me having read and deleted the PM, I'm still seeing "1 unread message" on my top bar, and when I go to my inbox it indicates that I have an unread message, even though there is no such message. Not sure what I can do to make the unread message indication go away.

Obviously this is HUGELY IMPORTANT and WHOLLY UNACCEPTABLE, so I assume that this will be the admins top priority.
Black Lives Matter.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: CRITICAL URGENT PROBLEM

Post by FishPants »

El Guapo wrote:I got a PM the other day from Newcastle inviting me to his WW game. Since then, despite me having read and deleted the PM, I'm still seeing "1 unread message" on my top bar, and when I go to my inbox it indicates that I have an unread message, even though there is no such message. Not sure what I can do to make the unread message indication go away.

Obviously this is HUGELY IMPORTANT and WHOLLY UNACCEPTABLE, so I assume that this will be the admins top priority.
I'm putting the board into emergency maintenance mode, and I've called off work for the day. I'm on it.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

El Guapo wrote:I got a PM the other day from Newcastle inviting me to his WW game. Since then, despite me having read and deleted the PM, I'm still seeing "1 unread message" on my top bar, and when I go to my inbox it indicates that I have an unread message, even though there is no such message. Not sure what I can do to make the unread message indication go away.

Ok I changed the server muffler bearings, greased the hard drive and installed EMM386 to increase available RAMDISK. Clear your cache and see if that works, otherwise I can introduce some HIMEM.SYS settings.
No.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

FishPants wrote:I'm putting the board into emergency maintenance mode, and I've called off work for the day. I'm on it.
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FishPants wrote:

Ok I changed the server muffler bearings, greased the hard drive and installed EMM386 to increase available RAMDISK. Clear your cache and see if that works, otherwise I can introduce some HIMEM.SYS settings.
Did you check the dilithium crystal matrix?
Black Lives Matter.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

El Guapo wrote:
Did you check the dilithium crystal matrix?
No the server uses a 486-SX16 chip -- no math co-processor *obviously*. :roll:
No.
Rip

Post by Rip »

You may need to load the mouse driver into upper memory.

We need at least 592k of lower memory free for the PM system to function.

It would help if people would quit wasting memory on useless stack pointers!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I tried clearing my browser's cache - didn't work. Unless there's some separate OO forum specific cache that can also be cleared.

Also I assume that Newcastle will be banned as a result of this, as his game invitation was obviously part of a cunning master plan to mildly annoy me.
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

El Guapo wrote:I tried clearing my browser's cache - didn't work. Unless there's some separate OO forum specific cache that can also be cleared.

Also I assume that Newcastle will be banned as a result of this, as his game invitation was obviously part of a cunning master plan to mildly annoy me.

Have you tried reinstalling windows?
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Rip wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I tried clearing my browser's cache - didn't work. Unless there's some separate OO forum specific cache that can also be cleared.

Don't forget to low level format first.

No but seriously, I did do a database check on the tables related to messaging and users (no issues) and cleared the Forum's cache server side.. I can't think of what else could cause that to happen? Can you try a different browser that you haven't used with OO and see if it shows up there too? At least that way I know whether it's server side, or your end.
No.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FishPants wrote:
Rip wrote:

No but seriously, I did do a database check on the tables related to messaging and users (no issues) and cleared the Forum's cache server side.. I can't think of what else could cause that to happen? Can you try a different browser that you haven't used with OO and see if it shows up there too? At least that way I know whether it's server side, or your end.
I just tried a browser on this computer that I don't usually use (for this forum or otherwise) - was the same when I logged into OO from that browers.

And for what it's worth it's showing up the same regardless of from which computer I access the forum.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

FWIW, I got the same message from Newcastle and had no problems. But then, Newcastle likes me and gave me the safe word to kill the worm in the PM, so that might have something to do with it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

DEVICE=OO:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=OO:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=B000-B7FF
DEVICEHIGH=NEWCASTL.WW,GUAPOMSG
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=100
BUFFERS=40
BREAK=ON
LASTDRIVE=Z
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

El Guapo wrote:
FishPants wrote:
Rip wrote:

I just tried a browser on this computer that I don't usually use (for this forum or otherwise) - was the same when I logged into OO from that browers.

And for what it's worth it's showing up the same regardless of from which computer I access the forum.
Can you give me the subject of the message? I want to scour some databases before I get all changey change in my sql sqly.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ok ignore the previous stuff, is it fixed? Saw a record that showed unread in the database tied to your user account. I marked it read with some old sk00l sql c0d3.

Anyways I hope I didn't delete the Internet and it's fixed.
No.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FishPants wrote:

Ok ignore the previous stuff, is it fixed? Saw a record that showed unread in the database tied to your user account. I marked it read with some old sk00l sql c0d3.

Anyways I hope I didn't delete the Internet and it's fixed.
TWIST! Yes, it's fixed. What's funny is that it was still showing up with "1 unread message" when I logged on earlier, then Newcastle sent me a second PM on the WW game, and then suddenly it went from 2 unread messages to zero once I read that.

OUR NATIONAL CRISIS IS RESOLVED, EVERYONE.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Fake news. You should be ashamed.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

STACKS = 0

I actually remember when all this stuff in this thread was relevant and worked. And I loved doing that stuff.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote:Fake news. You should be ashamed.
*You're* fake news!
Black Lives Matter.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

We had the best people on this, I have the best people.
No.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I just deleted Newcastle's PM without reading because I thought it was a phishing attempt. Hopefully it didn't have anything important related to the WW game.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
KDH

Post by KDH »

:ugeek: .. 'Abort, Retry, Fail?' was the phrase some wormdog scrawled next to the door of the Edit Universe project room. And when the new dataspinners started working, fabricating their worlds on the huge organic comp systems, we'd remind them: if you see this message, always choose 'Retry.'

Bad'l Ron, Wakener, Morgan Polysoft
Ain't nobody got time for that
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Great thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906